Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apollo landing sites imaged for the first time by LRO...even make out the bootprints

Options
  • 18-07-2009 12:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,256 ✭✭✭✭

Nasa link

369234main_lroc_apollo11labeled_256x256.jpg 369238main_lroc_apollo15labeled_256x256.jpg

369240main_lroc_apollo16labeled_256x256.jpg 369242main_lroc_apollo17labeled_256x256.jpg

369236main_lroc_apollo14labeled_522x256.jpg

Higer rez pictures expected at a later date.
    To bad people will still claim we never went there.

Some of the most amazing pictures I've ever seen.

Comments

That's the left overs of the Eagle, isn't it? Good to see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭briktop

hah ! proof me hole !

a tiny dot in black and white ?

gimme a fcuking break

they are going to have to do a lot better than that to kill the rumours .

you are talking color and in alot better resolution . at min .

any twat could mock these up .

the 11 site looks wrong even from this distance , compared to the so called photos they took - the shadow cast is way to big for half a LEM .

if they were that serious , they would be color and hi res.
    nasa has cameras that can read a fcuking newspaper from 200 miles up , so this is bollox

im all for seeing real proof , and will accept it if its convincing - this is not .

we will see, if the closer images are better, but if they aint in color , forget it

No cameras are that powerful. Anyway, I'm not a mod. here, but please don't turn this into another conspiracy thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

No cameras are that powerful. Anyway, I'm not a mod. here, but please don't turn this into another conspiracy thread.

Not a newspaper but in google earth you can read the STOP painted on the roads in a lot of US streets and runway numbers at airports.

Besides it said that the LRO was not at its final orbit when it took these and will take better and higher res photos in the coming weeks. It also has to get the Apollo 12 site.

Not a newspaper but in google earth you can read the STOP painted on the roads in a lot of US streets and runway numbers at airports.

Besides it said that the LRO was not at its final orbit when it took these and will take better and higher res photos in the coming weeks.

But you see, with Google Earth, it slowly fades from satellite imagery to aerial photography the more you zoom. Today's cameras just don't have a high enough resolution to get that level of detail.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,256 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

@briktop - those are extremely high resolution images. The lunar landers are only a few meters wide. The fact that they’re visible as more than a single pixel, imaged from high altitude, is extremely impressive.

These pictures are not even the highest resolution LRO can provide
    Future observation will have x2 to x3 this much detail.

These are colour pics too afaik.
    ...four feet per pixel. Because the deck of the descent stage is about 12 feet in diameter, the Apollo relics themselves fill an area of about nine pixels. However, because the sun was low to the horizon when the images were made, even subtle variations in topography create long shadows. Standing slightly more than ten feet above the surface, each Apollo descent stage creates a distinct shadow that fills roughly 20 pixels.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

+1
    Conspiracy theory forum is thataway.
    It's a shame people dispute the moon landings...the evidence is poor for the theory tbh. But as regards an argument here, it's always futile. People will claim these pictures are doctored. Even if a rover lands, they'll claim it's fake, and so on. If people have this kinda attitude to it though, every huge landmark for mankind, no matter how difficult, will be refuted. /2pence

As regards the images, unless a rover explores a site, there'll be no Google Earth quality images of the ground. However, images of up to 3 times the resolution are on their way, so it should abit more discernable. It's pretty damn impressive being able to see footprints. Can you imagine the resolution?

Interesting to see the sites, hopefully higher res images will allow for greater zoom.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,229 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

I don't think anyone expected these photos to convince the conspiracy theorists.
    And to be fair I don't think they are particularly convincing on their own.
    Luckily there is tons of other evidence that shows that we did go to the moon.

We won't have to wait too long till people start making stuff about these photos up.
    I wonder if there'll be another Face on Mars sorta thing?

Personally I hope they do the higher resolution sweeps soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭Redshift

No conspiracy theory posts here, Please use the correct forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Just to offset the feckin' doubters (:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:) with a vaguely related question.

Neil Armstrong doesn't seem to do much press, has this always been the case?

You'd think he'd be minted for life being interviewed about events.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Amalgam wrote: »
    Just to offset the feckin' doubters (:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:) with a vaguely related question.

I've seen and read many interviews with him so i don't think it's a case of not doing much press but more a case of being selective about when and to whom he talks to. I'd imagine that despite the excitement of it all there's a certain level of tedium when being asked the same question over and over again over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,256 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/magazine/8133835.stm
    Have a watch/read of that

You have to remember that he was a test pilot, he probably never wanted to be in the limelight.

For me, he is the ultimate hero. Imagine having done what he has done, yet refusing to exploit his achievements for monetary gain? I respect that so much; he is, in my opinion, one of the greatest living people: not for what he has done, but because he hasn't exploited what he has done. You see all of the other Apollo astronauts selling out: Aldrin putting his name on computer games and starring in rap videos; that's just pathetic.

A better man couldn't have been the first to walk on the moon. Armstrong's silence and dignity will mean that Apollo 11's (and indeed the whole Apollo programme's) name will never be tarnished. It'll always be a perfect event, not to be defiled by the doings of the people who took part in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Look forward to seeing the hi-res images of these,I already believe it,They'll just be cool to see!

On a related note,if you have the tv channel FX there's a dramatisation(directed by tom hanks) of the apollo programme onright now. Typical US tv but it's good though. They're up to 1968 and apollo 8 atm.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,643 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

lord lucan wrote: »
    On a related note,if you have the tv channel FX there's a dramatisation(directed by tom hanks) of the apollo programme onright now. Typical US tv but it's good though. They're up to 1968 and apollo 8 atm.

Working at the moment! Is that the series From the Earth to the Moon?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

i met neil armstrong once. it was years ago, he was opening an exhibition in tralee, of all places. it was kept quiet, dunno how they mananged that, iirc there were only 20 or so people there.

i was quite young and felt intimidated by his fame so when i got to meet him i think i said something like "you're really cool", what a muppet i was :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,643 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

sam34 wrote: »
    i met neil armstrong once. it was years ago, he was opening an exhibition in tralee, of all places. it was kept quiet, dunno how they mananged that, iirc there were only 20 or so people there.

i was quite young and felt intimidated by his fame so when i got to meet him i think i said something like "you're really cool", what a muppet i was :rolleyes:
    Cool, nice to have done. I met John Young myself Apollo 16 commander was the 9th to walk on the moon in April 72. I also met some Shuttle astros, Winston Scott, Jon McBride and Stephen Robinson.

Beeker wrote: »
    Working at the moment! Is that the series From the Earth to the Moon?

Yep,thats the one!! Pretty good and pretty accurate as dramatisations go.

lord lucan wrote: »
    Yep,thats the one!! Pretty good and pretty accurate as dramatisations go.

That my friend is a gem of a series, I bought the box set some years back and have watched it many times. Fantastic!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Stargate

You have to remember that he was a test pilot, he probably never wanted to be in the limelight.

For me, he is the ultimate hero. Imagine having done what he has done, yet refusing to exploit his achievements for monetary gain? I respect that so much; he is, in my opinion, one of the greatest living people: not for what he has done, but because he hasn't exploited what he has done. You see all of the other Apollo astronauts selling out: Aldrin putting his name on computer games and starring in rap videos; that's just pathetic.

A better man couldn't have been the first to walk on the moon. Armstrong's silence and dignity will mean that Apollo 11's (and indeed the whole Apollo programme's) name will never be tarnished. It'll always be a perfect event, not to be defiled by the doings of the people who took part in it.

Could`nt agree More -JammyDodger- re Neil Armstrong !

A silent hero , imagine being the first human to walk on the moon and all that could and would come with that, yet hes so humble ( like most of the TRUE heros of our human race are )

Been watching a lot of the Progs on Discovery Channels , really excellent stuff :D

-JammyDodger- you`ve done a really FANTASTIC job posting all the times etc for the ISS and SS , very well done , round of applause for you :cool:
    A lot of people have said tnx to you on some of the threads these past few days and its very well deserved -JammyDodger-

Did you manage to solve the Stellarium problem ;-)

Stargate

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

The Japanese Kaguya probe crash landed recently, did it ever manage to pick up any of the landing sites? Some of the 'HD' footage of the rolling lunar landscape was hypnotic.

http://www.popsci.com/military-aviation-amp-space/article/2009-06/kaguya-lunar-probes-final-images-crash-landing

It was the first probe I thought of when I saw this thread, just forgot to post.

RIP Kaguya. [sniff] :(

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

These are truly superb images. It's fantastic to finally see the Apollo hardware on the Moon after all these years. And the images can only get better.:)

Neil Armstrong is a very private man who keeps to himself. I agree that he was a true hero. Buzz Aldrin on the other hand just can't get enough of the limelight.

I really hope most of the remaining Apollo men live to see the USA's return of people to the Moon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭rccaulfield

Cant see a thing!!

JupiterKid wrote: »
    These are truly superb images. It's fantastic to finally see the Apollo hardware on the Moon after all these years. And the images can only get better.:)

Neil Armstrong is a very private man who keeps to himself. I agree that he was a true hero. Buzz Aldrin on the other hand just can't get enough of the limelight.

I really hope most of the remaining Apollo men live to see the USA's return of people to the Moon.

I always felt sorry for Michael collins(good american name:p). He had to sit in the command module and watch armstrong & aldrin get all the attention. He's always said he was cool with it but i'm sure there must have been a part of him that would love to have been stepping off of the eagle onto the moon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭Firefox10

I always say not to forget about Mike Collins when people are talking about the first moon landing. He seems like a good bloke. Well I have been watching various interviews and press conferences for the 40th anniversary today and have concluded one thing....Buzz Aldrin is a idiot!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 679 ✭✭✭polyfusion

Great photos. Looks like they parked Apollo 16 quite close to a crater. Was that the one they were hoping to get the lander inside one? Looks a bit small to attempt something like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

Firefox10 wrote: »
    I always say not to forget about Mike Collins when people are talking about the first moon landing. He seems like a good bloke. Well I have been watching various interviews and press conferences for the 40th anniversary today and have concluded one thing....Buzz Aldrin is a idiot!

can anyone point to video of that talk, i watched half of last night, but only cos it was playing on the main nasa channel, they don't make it easy for you find their recent programs.

boy that planetarium guy is annoying

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭Firefox10

Apollo 40th Anniversary Press Conference Here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4A8BEIVa1rM

And more here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9fCPhspOCQ

Neil Armstrong's speech is well worth watching at the end of this one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Is there any more on the higher resolution shots coming through? Even a date when they're being taken?

Advertisement