Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Shortage of used cars?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

The 06 Cooper S was 170Bhp, the 07 was 175Bhp. More interestingly, is that 08 Cooper S' are going for close to 20 at the moment. 13k saving?

I'd say a lot of those figures are exaggerated to be honest.:rolleyes:

In a few years time there will definitely be feck all supply of '09 cars on the market. I saw a brand new car the other day and couldn't believe how low the figures on the registration were. It was a 'D' reg at 20000 or thereabouts, a figure which the industry would've reached by February in recent years gone by.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,672 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

VolvoMan wrote: »

In a few years time there will definitely be feck all supply of '09 cars on the market. I saw a brand new car the other day and couldn't believe how low the figures on the registration were. It was a 'D' reg at 20000 or thereabouts, a figure which the industry would've reached by February in recent years gone by.

I delivered a new car to a driver at the start of this month - reg was 20328. His 06 car coming back was 20327 - that was delivered on the 15th Feb 2006. Shows how far we are down on previous years (also quite a freaky coincidence :eek:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

R.O.R wrote: »
    I delivered a new car to a driver at the start of this month - reg was 20328. His 06 car coming back was 20327 - that was delivered on the 15th Feb 2006. Shows how far we are down on previous years (also quite a freaky coincidence :eek:)

that is a freaky coincidence......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭cpoh1

I bought a late 05 mini cooper convertible with 30k, full history, new roof, chilli pack with all the bells and whistles in ireland private for 10k cash for my sister.

There are buckets of mint used cars out there for absolutely nothing at the moment, i wouldnt believe for a second that there's a shortage of decetn used cars, esepecially bought privately.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭slickmcvic

i go along with the arguement that there is a drop in the number of "quality" used cars out there( espeially smaller engined models).....in the good times lads were changin their motors every yr / 2 yrs....this meant there was almost an oversupply of trade-ins available and as a result the distributers were having a lot of "clearoff" sales events to make space on their forecourts....the change in tax brackets meant that a of high end motors sat and still sit on forecourts....however the demand for smaller engined models increased and the changed economic climate meant that a lot of people are goin for "nearly new" rather than "brand-spankin new" models.
    when i was changin my motor in April there was 63,000 cars on carzone there's 48,662 today....thats a 23% drop supply and demands dictates this is goin to lead to higher car prices especially for smaller engined "nearly new "models....
    .....I seen an ad in Fridays times from a big main dealer offering cash for any Audi,VW,mazdas (07+ i think)

• Advertisement

This only applies to dealers who wont take a trade in of a nearly new car, the private car sales market is flourishing albeit with more reasonable and realistic prices out there these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

R.O.R wrote: »
    I work in a fleet company and we sell our own used stock from our garage / warehouse.

I haven't seen the place so empty in the last 18 months. I'm getting calls / e-mails from dealers I don't buy off asking for our stock list.

The traders coming in are telling us that the used prices in Ireland are now cheaper than bringing equivalent cars in from the UK.

The only things moving from dealers at the moment are used cars so they need decent stock to keep turnover moving. The margins dealers are taking on used cars have also come down.

Unfortunatley it's come too late for some dealers who've either closed or lost some very good staff.

Send em my way.....;)

Please....? :o:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭conor_mc

Anecdotally, I've been looking at Audi A6's in the last year.

Today, a 06 TDi with <60k miles would set you back £12k or almost €14k + VRT.

Last last year, you could've picked one up for close to £11k, or €11.5k + VRT.

I'm still kicking myself I didn't bite the bullet last year and just go for it - a €2,500 swing in price just down to exchange rate and a small rise in UK second-hand prices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 pinkbug

Anyone know or is selling a black Mini One or Cooper convertible 2006-2008 must have low mileage and have extras on it? It doesn't seem to be that cheap to bring one in from the UK anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Churchy wrote: »
    If your refering to the fifteen year old Porsche's in your sig , its hardly the same as 06/07/08 "retail" ready family cars.

no, not my sig cars - the SO's 06 'happy family' diesel estate, actually.......

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭gpjordanf1

The 06 Cooper S was 170Bhp, the 07 was 175Bhp. More interestingly, is that 08 Cooper S' are going for close to 20 at the moment. 13k saving?

Yeah thats true, its defo 175 bhp but was first registered 12/06, was launched late 2006 to present.
    Yeah prices are dropping like stones, luckily we bought in the UK.
    As i said there were only 2 cars with same spec here at the time which was january 09 and they were looking for mental money, private sales though, so i know they were dreaming. i just gave you the difference between their asking and our actual price.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭sk8board

just to add a consumer opinion to this, I'm curently looking to get a commuter diesel, probably an '08 for obvious reasons.
    I've been looking for about 2 months in earnest.

some points:
    2 months ago there was 73k cars listed on CZ. Today theres 65k. Not sure of its significance

'08 subaru legacy diesels are non-existant. zero on Carzone

'08 Alfa GT's seem to be very good value in ireland, and a Blackline spec is only about 2k dearer in Dublin that the cheapest in the UK, albeit theres much more choice in the UK
    Prices in the UK for '08 diesels have certainly increased in list price in the past two months (have been tracking a few in particular.)

I definitely think that the fact we've only sold 42k cars so far this year (compared to 138k at this stage in '07) will impact on those who buy 2nd hand in a few years time. It has to.
    Incidently there were 30k imports Jan-Jun in 07, 08 and 09. No increase whatsover (but no decrease too of course).

The UK has great choice, but its hard to find VALUE in '08 diesels in the €18-24k bracket. As someone else said, its not that much difference pricewise anymore.
    Plus,when it comes to selling the car in 3-5 years time, it will be a UK import, and whatever you say it will attrach a lower price. If its cheaper to buy now, it'll be cheaper to sell further down the line.

Where I do see value is in the premium family estates; A6, V70, 5-series. You can save about 25% still on an '08, with A6 and v70 2.0L diesels listing for about £17k, 5-series touring for about 23k+. Cheapest '08 Touring on CZ is €39k.

Definitely the Irish dealers are coming down in price, and the market is not as UK-focussed as it was a the start of the year.
    Have even had a volvo dealer tell me he'd bring over the V70 spec I wanted for what I consider a price that barely makes it worth his while.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

sk8board wrote: »
    2 months ago there was 73k cars listed on CZ. Today theres 65k. Not sure of its significance

Today there's only 48,457 cars on Carzone! Click the 'Show Cars' button and you will see the bluffers 'real' figure!

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭lifer_sean

All involved in the motor trade who contribute here are in agreement that used cars are scarce. Why can't people believe this and accept that those in the trade know what they are talking about ? Why does there always have to be a conspiracy theory ?

Fact 1 - UK prices are now higher than end 08, and cars are almost a year older, so UK is dead as a source for most mainstream cars.

Fact 2 - (per earlier poster) the number of cars on Carzone (and let's face it, almost all car dealers have their cars on Carzone) is down from 63k odd to 48k odd - approx 25% off.

Fact 3 - Wholesale prices (eg auction prices) have been increasing steadily since the spring.

Quality used cars at sensible prices are DEFINITELY scarce. Of course there are dealers out there with yards full of cars at mad prices that are ignoring the market adjustment in prices, but they will never sell the cars at those prices so the cars might as well not exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭rco2000

May also be partly down to people's frustration with Carzone which has not improved?
    Wonder are the other big websites suffering similarly?

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭rco2000

lifer_sean wrote: »
    All involved in the motor trade who contribute here are in agreement that used cars are scarce. Why can't people believe this and accept that those in the trade know what they are talking about ? Why does there always have to be a conspiracy theory ?

Because alot of people don't trust people in the motor trade especially after the way many of them conducted their business during the "Tiger years"

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

rco2000 wrote: »
    May also be partly down to people's frustration with Carzone which has not improved?
    Wonder are the other big websites suffering similarly?

Every company related to the motor trade is suffering but it's a perfect opportunity to fight back against Carzone's dominance and rip-off to all sellers, private and dealers alike.

New MSN cars site was launched recently (cbg stock), I like the layout and colour scheme.

http://cars.ie.msn.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Churchy

gpjordanf1 wrote: »
    Yeah thats true, its defo 175 bhp but was first registered 12/06, was launched late 2006 to present.
    Yeah prices are dropping like stones, luckily we bought in the UK.
    As i said there were only 2 cars with same spec here at the time which was january 09 and they were looking for mental money, private sales though, so i know they were dreaming. i just gave you the difference between their asking and our actual price.

GPJordan - your first post in this topic told us all what a crock this story was.
    Now the example you've given us is 6 months old.
    Prices have risen every month from then - in fact Dec/Jan were one of the cheapest times ever for customers South of the border to buy cars.
    I'm giving at least £1k STG more for decent 08 cars today than I was in Dec.
    £1k is the smallest increase - can be up to £2.5k in the case of 7 seater's with a bit of spec.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Dazzler88

BigZack wrote: »
    I met with a dealer recently who said that sourcing decent used cars in Ireland is becoming harder and harder. With new car sales down, he said that the lack of trade-ins
    there probably will be a major decline in trades-in but its about time these dealers got hit in the pocket.When thing were going well in this country you could bring in a car that you bought the previous year for 10,000euro and they would offer you 6,000euro but the same car would be on the forecourt for sale a week later for 8,000 euro.Their is plenty of used cars out there,its just most are now for sale by private treaty.This has it owns risk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

Dazzler88 wrote: »
    there probably will be a major decline in trades-in but its about time these dealers got hit in the pocket.When thing were going well in this country you could bring in a car that you bought the previous year for 10,000euro and they would offer you 6,000euro but the same car would be on the forecourt for sale a week later for 8,000 euro.Their is plenty of used cars out there,its just most are now for sale by private treaty.This has it owns risk.

Look I know you are not in the trade so when you see numbers like that you're shocked but its not so straight forward as that. If you are offered a car for 8 grand on the forecourt but allowed a trade in of 6 the week before there are alot of differences in the same car at each point. When you are buying a car it will be serviced , valeted, on a bigger mileage car the timing belt will be done and it will come with a warranty. If you want to do all of this for the dealer then you'll get a better trade in :D. After that the dealer needs to make a profit. profit being the same reason everybody gets up in the morning and goes to work, for a few bob ;). And before that profit is made the dealer has to pay rent, rates , wages, insurance and VAT nevermind how much its costs just to keep 50 used cars in stock. So how much of a mark up on that 6 grand do think is left now for thoses dealers you think should be hit in the pocket? In the boom days some people in all trades made huge money but like most people ordinary motor traders had to go with the flow and pay the inflated prices for everything out there at the time too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭cvisser

there is a shortage of used car @ the moment, bread and butter family car quality used cars priced between 7k to 13k, with a 12 month or 24 month warranty, or flying of the shelves, yes flying, the credit union has a big part to play in this as they are the main loaner's @ the moment, i had 2 people come in on Saturday and say "is this all the used car u have" i obviously took there number and i'm followin up with them @ the mo. The problem on the other side is that the bank's will not release cash/credit for dealers to go out and buy quality used cars, i myself will have no problem in buying cars of joe so public but the credit for us is not there. i treat customers with the upmost respect and allways have and they come back over and over again, hard work, honesty, go along way always have, Bulls**t will work with no one.:p

there is a light @ the end of the tunnel and it is getting brighter, we all have to think positive no matter what bussinnes we are in, go out with a hard workin attitude and customers will see this, go out and talk to that custmer in the rain in the forecout, people appreciate this:)

chins up:)

slightly gone a bit of the boil ther but just my 2 cents:o

Fact 1 - UK prices are now higher than end 08, and cars are almost a year older, so UK is dead as a source for most mainstream cars.

Fact 2 - (per earlier poster) the number of cars on Carzone (and let's face it, almost all car dealers have their cars on Carzone) is down from 63k odd to 48k odd - approx 25% off.

Fact 3 - Wholesale prices (eg auction prices) have been increasing steadily since the spring.

Quality used cars at sensible prices are DEFINITELY scarce. Of course there are dealers out there with yards full of cars at mad prices that are ignoring the market adjustment in prices, but they will never sell the cars at those prices so the cars might as well not exist.

Just to add to this.

Carzone has less cars on it because they are charging per month to advertise and its simply gone out of fashion. People are beginning to realise that the place just wasn't very good at selling cars.

UK prices have increased in the last 6 months but only because prices over here have fallen so rapidly to match the import market.

People in the industry are right, high end used cars are scare - if you want to buy from a dealer. There's an abundance of used cars out there being sold privately by people who need to shift for financial or other reasons. There are serious cash deals to be gotten because people just dont have the disposable income to spend on a car unless they have managed to sell or trade their own wheels.

Fact is 18k will get you a hell of a lot more car than it would have 12-18 months ago.

cpoh1 wrote: »
    Just to add to this.

Carzone has less cars on it because they are charging per month to advertise and its simply gone out of fashion. People are beginning to realise that the place just wasn't very good at selling cars.

UK prices have increased in the last 6 months but only because prices over here have fallen so rapidly to match the import market.

People in the industry are right, high end used cars are scare - if you want to buy from a dealer. There's an abundance of used cars out there being sold privately by people who need to shift for financial or other reasons. There are serious cash deals to be gotten because people just dont have the disposable income to spend on a car unless they have managed to sell or trade their own wheels.

Fact is 18k will get you a hell of a lot more car than it would have 12-18 months ago.

The Carzone pricing structure changed for private sellers only and not for trade advertisers (other than a price increase). Trade advertisers pay a flat rate per month - this was always the case. At the end of the day the Carzone site is a better advertising mechanism for a dealer (measured in either hits or successful sales) than CBG or any of the others. I'm not a fan of Carzone (and I think they are milking for as much cash as they can get) but it works. I don't know of any dealer who has stopped using Carzone. The pricing changes do not explain the fall-off in cars being advertised.

I agree prices fell here at the start of the year to match the imported prices. However this did not cause UK prices to rise - they rose due to UK market effects. The funny thing is that UK cars are now dearer to import and Irish prices have not (yet) gone up to track the imported prices.

rco2000 wrote: »

Because alot of people don't trust people in the motor trade especially after the way many of them conducted their business during the "Tiger years"

So are you including in that comment all motor trade people who contribute to boards to try to advise all and sundry on their motoring questions as best they can, with no benefit to themselves ? So if you have a problem with a funny noise in your car you will accept our inputs, but you don't trust our opinion when it doesn't suit ?????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭gpjordanf1

Churchy wrote: »
    GPJordan - your first post in this topic told us all what a crock this story was.
    Now the example you've given us is 6 months old.
    Prices have risen every month from then - in fact Dec/Jan were one of the cheapest times ever for customers South of the border to buy cars.
    I'm giving at least £1k STG more for decent 08 cars today than I was in Dec.
    £1k is the smallest increase - can be up to £2.5k in the case of 7 seater's with a bit of spec.

fair enough, hand's up, i was 6 months out of the loop, i got it wrong, apologies to all, the BMW's and higher end cars can be got with a bit of value still but most popular family cars are now more costly, having had a chance to look over the figures. So apologies to the guy's here in the trade, ya know your stuff! I'm sure ye are getting enough of a kicking on the forecourt without getting it here too. Were all in the same boat really, everyone are just worried at the end of the day.

The going rate for a 05 accord was 15k this time last year, the same car can be got for less than 10k now. How is there less value now?

The going rate for a 05 accord was 15k this time last year, the same car can be got for less than 10k now. How is there less value now?

Who said that was the going rate?

Dont forget its a year older now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭lafors

Yeah obviously, seeing as its still an 05 and a year older :rolleyes:

I've been looking for a used car for the past month and the lads on here who work for dealers are right. There is a shortage of "decent" used cars here, in the €7-15k bracket. Anyone who has been seriously looking will know that and anyone who says otherwise hasn't been seriously looking or isn't interested in "decent" quality versions of a model. By decent I mean, good spec, low milage. You'll always find base models or high mileage models as they're naturally harder to sell.

I've picked out the type of car I want, from a list of 3 or 4 models that I was researching and there is only 3-4 cars of that particular spec/engine on sale here in the past month. Its just a regular brand family car (I'm not willing to say which as there is a boardsie with one for sale and I don't want him to know how few there are on the market......I want it at a good price ;) )

Also cars from the UK are no longer worth it imho unless you go above €20-25k. I imported a high spec A3 before christmas and I know I could get it here for a similar price now.

Had a quick look on Carzone.
    Those around 10k are either private sales with the number plate blanked out...draw your own conclusions...dealers with VRT still to pay or 100k milers.

Decent cars are in the price range of 11,495 to 15,995 - exactly what you'd expect with a car getting older but prices rising. A modest drop in values.

• Advertisement

lafors wrote: »
    Yeah obviously, seeing as its still an 05 and a year older :rolleyes:

So a 3 year old car gets a year older and loses 5k and thats normal?

Anyone who discounts a car because the registration is blanked out of the ad is an idiot. Id put people who wont buy private in the same bracket, you'll get feck all guarentee from a dealer either on a car worth 10-15k besides the standard 3month engine and gearbox warranty.

Honestly lads im looking at private used cars online everyday thinking "wow what a bargain". There really is the world to choose from at the moment at sometimes astonishing prices. Ye're not looking hard enough lads. And remember what people ask for on carzone and get in reality are two completely different things! If someone has a price of 12k advertised on a car you'd be an idiot to pay anything over 11 in cash.

Advertisement