Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Space Shuttle Visible Tonight

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,208 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Missed it, too much cloud where I am, too much light and too many feckin houses... damn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

BVB wrote: »
    this is a paint version of what i seen

Yes thats it, spot on.:)

Anybody just see the ISS now?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Just saw ISS now, reminded me of Mir watching on the roof of the shed when I was a teenager. I should really go out for it more often.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 maverick09

ive a very poor pic, i shook when i took it :(

6210_105649714395_669234395_1927229_3606927_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Foxx92

Steyr wrote: »

Anybody just see the ISS now?

Did it look like a bright star moving?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

We saw it launch online, then took the puppy out and watched it fly by from the top of briar hill (well, not the very top, there's horses in that field)

Brilliant!

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭dutchcat

saw it at 23;21 in carlow,they stopped at the garage for petrol and fags:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,168 ✭✭✭Wompa1

dutchcat wrote: »
    saw it at 23;21 in carlow,they stopped at the garage for petrol and fags:pac:

No smoking in the work place!

jus seen it a while, very bright star.. mad

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

due back shortly I believe !

• Advertisement

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    due back shortly I believe !

what ya mean?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Cloudy as **** in Barna. **** and you'd miss it :mad: Good **** all the same :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

A pretty poor picture but you get the idea.

IMG_0936.jpg

right, so when i seen it in galway, there was no orange.. just one very bright star moving quickly over the sky.

booster rockets falling in your pics maybe?

there was a clearly visible orange object ( the big tank) below and behind it having just been jettisoned.

right, so when i seen it in galway, there was no orange.. just one very bright star moving quickly over the sky.

Maybe the single light you saw was the ISS and not the shuttle.

That or aliens.

The ISS was over at about 23:40 and the shuttle @ 23:20

The ISS will be too low in the sky on its next pass at 1.14 am but the shuttle should be over again at around 0:55-1.05 , position in sky unknown ( moving right to left :D) and not quite as bright seeing as the engines will be off and it will be higher up .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Check this link which shows the Shuttle and Station as they orbit the Earth, you can see that the Shuttle will cross Ireland again on almost the same orbit as the first time tonight.

http://spaceflight.nasa.gov/realdata/tracking/index.html

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Check this link which shows the Shuttle and Station as they orbit the Earth, you can see that the Shuttle will cross Ireland again on almost the same orbit as the first time tonight.

http://spaceflight.nasa.gov/realdata/tracking/index.html

Any idea what time?

the shuttle should be over again at around 0:55-1.05 ,

make that between 0:53-1.01 am , lower in the sky than before ( to the south) and moving right to left as always !

• Advertisement

I will post a final warning, keep pressing F5 to refresh this page .

Foxx92 wrote: »
    Did it look like a bright star moving?

Correct that was her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭BlackandGold

I will post a final warning, keep pressing F5 to refresh this page .

So we can see the shuttle again? [For me first time as I missed it before!]

This will be quite low in the sky if visible at all, it will come across the clare hills from the aran islands and if there is cloud you will not see it but you may see it between gaps in the clouds so pick a gap over a hill if there is one and watch for a white/yellowish white object moving smartly right to left at constant altitude .

Everybody go out NOW , about 0.55 to 0:59 is the viewing window !

That was the ISS. The solid fuel boosters separate 2 minutes into the flight so it was not them, they land 150miles away from Cape Canaveral in the Ocean, they drop to earth with parachutes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭gary82

Cloud cover wasn't great for me for the shuttle. Saw it alright but it didn't photo well at all. Interestingly the glow off the shuttle seemed to orange up the clouds as it passed - didn't come up like that on test shots just before...

DSCF5215.jpg

Caught a couple of better shots of the Internation Space Station then 20mins later though...

Copy_of_Copy_2_of_DSCF5216And2more.jpg

DSCF5217.jpg

Thats a no, clouds over clare .

As I said on page 1 the ISS is over tonight ( thursday) at around 22:30 and at 0:06 am friday and the shuttle should be visible chasing it from behind :)

Your best bet is 22:30 thursday although they should graze the tops of the Clare Hills/Inisheer out by Black Head at 0:06 am friday clouds permitting of course .

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭cranky bollix

great pics gary.really annoyed that i forgot about:(

gary82 wrote: »
    Interestingly the glow off the shuttle seemed to orange up the clouds as it passed - didn't come up like that on test shots just before...

Hi Gary, the red/orange glow over the clouds is just street lighting from the city it happens when the clouds are low.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭gary82

I tried two test shots just before that with the same exposure and I didn't get the orange glow at all!

Advertisement