Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Glocosamine - few questions.

Options
  • 14-07-2009 2:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭

Hi all, looking to buy some Glucosamine / Cod liver oil. Friend of mine has advanced osteoarthritus and their doctor recommended taking high doses Glucosamine daily. So just wondering does anyone know of any of the main suppliers selling Glucosamine in bulk. Would be even better if I could get it with chondroitin.

I find Tesco fairly cheep but their (1 a day) tablets are only 600mg each, I believe you should be taking approx 1500g per day, so not so great value if you take that into account.

Any ideas?

Prolly should be in the Supplements thread but wanted to get a bit more attention.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭gnolan

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

Or if you want a bricks and mortar shop Boots nearly always have a 3 for 2 offer on supplements and vitamins, incl. glucosamine.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

gnolan wrote: »
    Cheers gnolan, will have a look through that - have you ever ordered off these crowd before?
    rubadub wrote: »
    Hey rubadub, just looking at that and it's a bit confusing - how do you figure out how many mg of Glocosamine per serving?

Or if you want a bricks and mortar shop Boots nearly always have a 3 for 2 offer on supplements and vitamins, incl. glucosamine.

TBH I find boots an awful ripoff so was looking for something else. Also it's most likely going to be something I'll be buying in bulk. Cheers though electichoney!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭gnolan

Cheers gnolan, will have a look through that - have you ever ordered off these crowd before?

Yeah i have, arrives within a few days, should be flat rate of $4 for orders under $80 or 3lbs.

Hey rubadub, just looking at that and it's a bit confusing - how do you figure out how many mg of Glocosamine per serving?

The site recommends 1g twice a day; it comes in powder form so you'd have to measure it yourself.

If you're ordering off i herb use the referral code NOL126, you'll get $5 dollars off and i'll get something out of it too! There's also a myprotein code in my sig, but i guess rubadub got there first!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,238 ✭✭✭Esse85

Holland + Barrett

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭ragg

Esse85 wrote: »
    Holland + Barrett

generally far to expensive for well, everything

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

What is the normal amount of Glucosamine and Chondroitin to take a day? What happens if you take too much?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,238 ✭✭✭Esse85

ragg wrote: »
    generally far to expensive for well, everything
    Not when they have stuff on sale, and there's nearly always a sale on.

In fairness the last time I was in there it was a half price sale and the Glocosamine was €10 for I think 120 tablets - which is pretty cheap.
    But more often than not their prices are extortionate!

• Advertisement

The site recommends 1g twice a day; it comes in powder form so you'd have to measure it yourself.

Sorry gnolan, but what I meant was for every 1g of the powder how many mg of Glocosamine is in it? I just didn't see that on the website.
    I.e. does a 1g scoop = 1g of Glocosamine?
    Cheers,
    Hail.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Yeah, on myprotein it says 1g twice a day, and says their level scoop is 4g. I have a mini scales so usually just would find a teaspoon that gives the preferred amount. If you have a standard kitchen scales another trick is to weigh out say 10-20 teaspoons and divide your figure to see what 1 really is, i.e. 20 spoonfuls could be 15g so you know each spoon is 0.75g, while one spoonful might not even register.

They also have tabs & chrondroitin
    http://www.myprotein.co.uk/capsules-tablets-softgels/joint-care/glucosamine-sulphate_/

http://www.myprotein.co.uk/capsules-tablets-softgels/joint-care/msm-glucosamine-chondroitin/

There's also a myprotein code in my sig, but i guess rubadub got there first!
    :) you were in first boss!
    I.e. does a 1g scoop = 1g of Glocosamine?
    Yes, check the pdf on the bottom of the page. http://www.myprotein.co.uk/img/coa/COA-D-GLUCOSAMINE-SULFATE-POTASSIUM-Y060304K34.pdf
    99.86% pure.

rubadub wrote: »
    Yes, check the pdf on the bottom of the page. http://www.myprotein.co.uk/img/coa/COA-D-GLUCOSAMINE-SULFATE-POTASSIUM-Y060304K34.pdf
    99.86% pure.

Cheers for all the info lads,

Haha I could not figure out that pdf at all :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

LIDL do Glucosamine Sulphate tabs.

Never seen them in Lidl - were they a special offer or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

Never seen them in Lidl - were they a special offer or something?

No.
    They were in the food supplements section. Little plastic jar with a sky blue label.

Edit: Yes, Lidl does have a supplements section.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭dannyo666

www.naturesway.ie-Best/cheapest there is by far

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭SM01

Take a couple of Lidl Glucosamine a day - think they cost €2. Also they've high stength cod liver oil (think it's the same price)

Advertisement