Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dingle Marathon/Half-Marathon

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭carsfan2

My time is about 2 mins wrong too.
    There must have been a problem somewhere.
    Love the race but hate when they get these things wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭echancrure

I was running with the 3:30 pacers, though I must have blinked when you passed us. Well done, great finish.

Yes I realised that after reading your report. May have been around the time the drone was hovering over us.

You're not wearing glasses anymore??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

echancrure wrote: »
    Yes I realised that after reading your report. May have been around the time the drone was hovering over us.

You're not wearing glasses anymore??

I don't wear my glasses when it's raining.

The drone was certainly a distraction - if you passed us around that time I was mostly looking up trying to spot the thing. Always a challenge with my bad eyesight.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Comte

@echancrure I think you did amazing. Well done :-)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I ran the half marathon and timed it on my own phone just in case. Glad I did, because my chip time is almost identical to the clock time too.

It was my first event since May 2015 and I only had 6 weeks training done, so 2:16:45 is a decent enough result. I did the first 10k in exactly one hour and then hit something of a wall. My pace dropped from 6:00/km to 7:00/km, and then at the hill after Mile 11 I had to walk. Tore through the last 500 metres at full stride, but still missed my original target time by 9 minutes.

Great learning experience all the same. I've spotted a few flaws in my training (aside from starting far too late! :P ) and I reckon I can improve a lot between now and Galway Bay in 4 weeks. I lost about 8 lbs in the month of August, and I could do with losing another 8, so it's been great for my health too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭ger664

As regards the timing issues.

How many pieces of foam or chips where on the bibs ? and how many mats did runners cross at the start ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭diego_b

ger664 wrote: »
    As regards the timing issues.

How many pieces of foam or chips where on the bibs ? and how many mats did runners cross at the start ?

One piece on the bib and there was no timing mat, we went under a gantry. Same at the finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭ger664

diego_b wrote: »
    One piece on the bib and there was no timing mat, we went under a gantry. Same at the finish.

With the number of runners in both races two tags on the bib with two mats would be needed at the start to minimize misses crossing the start mats. I suspect one tag and mat/anthena where used.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭diego_b

ger664 wrote: »
    With the number of runners in both races two tags on the bib with two mats would be needed at the start to minimize misses crossing the start mats. I suspect one tag and mat/anthena where used.

Fwiw the same company also did the timing at the half in the head race in Ballyheigue last June and there was also similar issues then. Hopefully they get it sorted as it's an excellent race but a very important detail to get right. For me I was using it as a training run ahead of Dublin so wasn't too pushed but given I started the race with coach in my club and met him again just before I finished the half. If you took my result (as it stands on the official list) it means my club coach ran the second half of the race in 74 minutes....he's in good shape on the marathon front at the moment but this is just ever so slightly out of his range on that course!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

2 of us did the half and gun and finish times were wrong. I emailed them to review the times ("contact us" on titansports.ie) and both times were corrected when I looked again a few hours later. Improved my time by 2mins :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭Rockiemalt

Hello, I know it was a few weeks back but anyone else surprised there was no text or email with Dingle results? I know they are up on the website but Its always nice to get a result sent to you in some form.
    Also the problems with timing annoyed me a bit, in that there was no communicatiom about the obvious issues there seemed to be having....it was my 5th time doing the half there but the way things were dealt with, has put me off a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭carsfan2

Have to agree with last post.
    I've run both the half and full here over the years and always enjoyed the experience. Love going to dingle.
    The organisers have been at it long enough now to get things right.
    Timing is fundamental in every race as whether we are first or last it matters to the runner themselves.
    My time this year is wrong as is my wife's and obviously loads of other people but there hasn't been a peep from the organisers.
    Some acknowledgement that things went wrong and that times are wrong would be a start as well as saying what they will do to prevent it happening in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭Rockiemalt

Glad I'm not alone in my unhappiness! You can have all the fancy medals and t shirts you want but if you can't time the race properly and don't communicate its a bad sign :(

Advertisement