Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ever Decreasing Circles:

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Great report and super running. You really worked your way up the field. So impressed with you calculating the team places on the go too :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Nothing much to report.

After a couple of race focused weeks this week was all about hitting the reset button, getting in a few miles and letting the body recover.
    I needed that recovery as I carried a bit of a strain from the XC on Sunday, but easy miles focused on form and some foam roller loving I was recovered sufficiently for my LSR yesterday.

Felt strong on this and could have kept going, the biggest challenge was keeping the pace dialled back in and even though it crept up towards the end I finished just within the planned 7:30 - 7:36 pace for the 18+ miles.

Next week sees a bit of steady pace reintroduced over a couple of sessions.

23661944164_8fed6e1f00_b.jpg

Running Totals
    WTD: 77.4 [124.5]
    MTD: 96.1 [154.6]
    Races YTD: 1
    Master's PB: 0
    Weight: 73.0kg

Another solid week. with a little quality added.

Tuesday LT: 10 miles with miles 6 - 9 at perceived tempo.
    Averaged 6:15 for this, a handful of seconds slower than where I would have liked to be, but will take it and bank it on cold Tuesday night hopping up and down off footpaths and timing gaps in the traffic.

Sat LSR with 8 steady: This was a nice run, plan was to get to 10 at an easy 7:30 pace, which I did with a few seconds to spare. Then run 8 in the 6:30 - 6:36 range, which I averaged in 6:31 and then a couple of easy miles to wrap it up. Finished up with 20.15 @ 7:05 pace and felt pretty comfortable throughout.

Rest was filler miles to hit the weekly target of 80, with a few strides on Friday.

Same again this week, with a VO2 session replacing the LT and hopefully a shakeout at the weekend.

24412866016_a4beef3138_b.jpg

Running Totals
    WTD: 80.2 [129.0]
    MTD: 176.2 [283.6]
    Races YTD: 1
    Weight: 72.4kg

Keeping it between the ditches.

Managing through my little niggle still with slower recovery runs, foam rolling and stretching - getting there slowly but surely.

VO2 session was abandoned on Tuesday night as the track slowly turned into an ice rink, wasn't concerned with a planned parkrun at the weekend.

Parkrun, windy and over-crowded in the last 2k. Planned to run at 17:30 effort, with the wind and extra dodging towards the end a 17:34 was about right.

Sunday lumpy effort with Gary and Neil, 9 miles of climbing rewarded with 8 miles of downhill including a sub 6 mile. It's like a gym session as Neil said, spend an hour working your hamstrings and calves and then switch to your glutes and quads. Tough old run to finish off an 83 + mile week.

24497973211_cd0eefbdfa_b.jpg

Running Totals
    WTD: 83.6 [134.5]
    MTD: 259.8 [418.1]
    Races YTD: 2
    Weight: 72.2kg

More Miles

A mileage focused week, finding it hard to shake the niggle fully, goes and returns, a bit frustrating really. So focussed on quantity instead of quality.

Sat was my 1st meh run in a long time, just wasn't feeling the love, so eased off the pace and distance and just trotted.
    Not overly concerned, I've had 4 up-cycle weeks, where I've ran 331 miles. I usually work off 3 up and 1 down plus there's been a bit of sickness in the house. My HR was actually much lower than expected so I put it down to accumulated fatigue and maybe the immune system being a little low.
    I gave it the old skool treatment, a snooze on the sofa yesterday afternoon and a dirty big bloody Angus last night and a few glasses of Rioja and I felt better this morning, not 100%, but better.

Headed with the gang up to Avoca, a quick espresso and then ran back to Wicklow, against the wind all the way, not very clever.
    Took me about 5 miles to find my groove and was then in a better place compared with yesterday.

A welcome down-cycle week coming up, about a 30% mileage drop and a visit to the Physio on Weds for a once over.

24636303211_c19959dbe3_b.jpg

Running Totals
    WTD: 90.3 [145.5]
    MTD: 350 [563.4]
    Races YTD: 2
    Weight: 71.5kg

• Advertisement

Fcukety fcuk, fcukety, fcuk, fcuk, fcuk....

Trim 10M

Had physio on Weds, strained, but recovering Gluteus Medius and general tightness in the hip area. Went through a range of mobility and strength exercises, followed by dry needling and manipulation. Had to put the breaks on for the rest of the week to recover for today.

Headed on down to Trim with Abhainn, got there in plenty of time and headed up to hall and meet RQ and a few others.
    It was chilly and windy, but the rain thankfully looked like holding off.
    Back to car to get changed, applied some Tiger balm around the glute and hip, decided not to take Ibu. Jogged up in the direction of the start, which was about a mile away, added on a bit extra, plus strides and some hip flexibility exercises.

Met dublinrunner on the line and after a bit of Deep Purple, some pleasantries and a long count down from 10 we were off.

Tight 1st corner after 50mts and we are out on the main road.
    Had spoken with one of the pacers before the race and he explained the 1st half was easier and the wind would come into play for the 2nd half. So made a deliberate effort to bank some time in the 1st few miles.

Mile 1 was 5:53 as the race settled down, followed by a 5:58 and I'm running within myself. Mile is nice and flat and my quickest of the race in 5:51, going through 3 in 17:41.

Mile 4 I'm feeling strong and I've been keeping an eye on Catherina Jennings thinking she would be strong and a good marker, but she suddenly gets blown out of the back of the group up ahead, breathing pretty heavily as I pass - 5:54.

Mile 5 has a bit of work in it and I run steadily to try and catch the sub 60 group, who must have went through 4 with 40 secs to spare, 29:46 at halfway.

Get mile 6 back under 6 with a 5:59, the mistake I made was not putting more effort to catch the pacing group, even though I'm 15 secs up, I'm now running on my own into a pretty strong headwind.
    I fight hard for the next 2 miles and even though I'm picking off runners 1 by 1 they are both disappointingly 6:14's.

With 2 miles to go I still feel sub 60 is in with a shout, but the wind just won't leave me alone, pick up another place, but a 6:07 puts a nail in the coffin.

Finish out as strongly as I can with a 5:57 for 60:17 on the watch, I'm not in the official results!!!

Disappointed, but happy with my effort, think a sub 60 was there in more favorable conditions and I'm over a minute ahead of where I was this time last year.

Disjointed week coming up, so will probably go long-long at the weekend.

24851363876_e0dc478c34_b.jpg

Running Totals
    WTD: 61 [98.2]
    MTD:
    61 [98.2]
    Races YTD: 3
    Weight: 71.2kg

My 2nd longest run streak #100days :)

24883855081_6dc6838d7d_b.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

BeepBeep67 wrote: »

Congrats on the running streak D - you wouldn't be a wee bit obsessive on the stats at all would you ???

kit3 wrote: »
    Congrats on the running streak D - you wouldn't be a wee bit obsessive on the stats at all would you ???

I can't disagree, but when someone else is far more clever that I and has the same level of obsessiveness, it would be a shame not to leverage that ;)

https://goingstreaking.herokuapp.com/streak

I can't disagree, but when someone else is far more clever that I and has the same level of obsessiveness, it would be a shame not to leverage that ;)

https://goingstreaking.herokuapp.com/streak

Ha, it makes more sense now. I had a picture of you obsessively keeping track .....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,438 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

That app gives me an all-time record of...

9 days.

Well done, 100 is impressive. (174 is very, very impressive.)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Freak

Just looking at that - you actually only had one day off in the last 156. What happened on 4th November ? :cool:

kit3 wrote: »
    Just looking at that - you actually only had one day off in the last 156. What happened on 4th November ? :cool:

Out on the red eye to London for meetings and back on the graveyard shift.
    I can recall during the 174 streak running at 4am one morning to keep the streak going, but I'm older and wiser now :)

Triple on Monday to get ahead of the curve.
    10pm unplanned post dinner and wine trot on the Champs
    -Elysees, followed by a couple of 6am runs Weds + Thurs.
    Uneventful, the parks were closed, so just took in a few sights on don't get lost route past the Place de la Concorde, du Lourve and Place de la Bastille and back along the Seine.

Was on drivers duty on Saturday for Donadea, so used this to get my long run in.
    Planned to do 7-8 steady laps, managed 8 pretty consistently [22:12-21:24-21:30-21:24-21:14-21:17-21:12-21:39] for a just shy of 25 miles at sub 7 pace.

Hopefully add a little speed back in this week - niggle dependent.

25025559815_d9b1eb0199_b.jpg

Running Totals
    WTD: 77.5 [124.7]
    MTD: 138.6
    [223.0]
    YTD: 488.8 [786.4]
    Weight: 70.9kg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,623 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Nice long run, but what's with the Monday showboating triple!

TbL

TbL

Weekly mileage target, work travel on the agenda, 3 runs is less impactful on the body than 1 or 2, logical really ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

TbL

It's called taking the finger out when mixing work with training, something you know nothing about!!!

tang1 wrote: »
    It's called taking the finger out when mixing work with training, something you know nothing about!!!

Sure ye uncivil servants think ye are doing overtime if ye log more than 4 hours a day!

TbL

Keepin' it between the ditches

Been fighting off a cold / chesty cough all week, this coupled with my niggle is taking away from the enjoyment at the moment, would just like a clean run at things for a while.

Didn't prevent any of the training happening, just had to readjust.

Tuesday had the beginnings of the cold and with the poor weather outside I elected to retire to the pain cave to get my session done on the treadie.
    10 miles with 6 @ 6:14 @ 2% incline and I was a sweaty mess.

Was feeling [EMAIL="cr@p"]cr@p[/EMAIL] on Weds so postponed the mid-week LSR and ran a very tired 5 miles on the treadmill, went to bed early.

Thursday, decided to give the LSR a go, got to Shanganagh with enough light left to get the 1st half done in the park and the option to bail out if needed. Decided to keep going and ran out to Kilbogget, about 2 miles away to remove the temptation of stopping and done a few laps over there before heading back. I never wanted a run to end as much as this.

Friday, 12 Paracetemol, 10 hours sleep, 2 easy runs, 1 hot whiskey and half a bottle of Exputex and felt up for my LSR yesterday. Picked a quite route that was reasonably sheltered and knocked out 20 miles with 12 @ 6:29 pace. Character building - enough said.

Rounded the week off with a very easy 10 this morning.

Some fast stuff next week to get the hips open.

25075693771_104da43b40_b.jpg

Running Totals
    WTD: 85.6 [137.7]
    MTD: 224.2
    [360.7]
    YTD: 574.4 [924.1]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Super training with a lot of good mileage.

In terms of diet, do you watch it or does the mileage take care of it??

Super training with a lot of good mileage.

In terms of diet, do you watch it or does the mileage take care of it??

Well mileage will never take care of bad diet :)

TBH I don't follow a hard and fast diet, I do try and eat sensibly and try to make good food choices. I'm lucky that we have a decent canteen in work, lots of interesting salad choices and 2 homemade soups to choose from each day.
    The salad choices also include wild rice, noodles, couscous, etc. so can bulk up a little if going longer in the evening.
    It's important to allow yourself a treat also ;)

FFS!! Couscous!! Devils spawn!!

TbL

FFS!! Couscous!! Devils spawn!!

TbL

Better than KeenWaa

Better than KeenWaa

Is that Quinoa, the stuff you find at the bottom of a hamsters cage?

TbL

Is that Quinoa, the stuff you find at the bottom of a hamsters cage?

TbL

It's what makes Mo Farah fast don't ya know

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭Gavlor

It's what makes Mo Farah fast don't ya know

Quorn. Often mistaken with tortilla flavoured used socks.

Gavlor wrote: »
    Quorn. Often mistaken with tortilla flavoured used socks.

Seems healthy enough
    Mycoprotein (93%), Rehydrated Free Range Egg White, Natural Caramelised Sugar, Firming Agents: Calcium Chloride, Calcium Acetate, Gluten Free Roasted Barley Malt Extract

A difficult week mentally, still feeling under the weather so every mile feels just that little bit harder. Rolling the dice a little and hoping I come out the other side unscathed.

Thu: Wicklow Race Series 3k - 4th 9:58

Got a little pre race run in at lunch time and spent a little time stretching. Headed on down in plenty of time on what was a chilly evening with only a hint of a breeze.

A short warm up with Krusty and then I focused on mobility exercises and a few strides. Met KC back at the car and we ambled up to the start. After a bit of traffic dodging and a moments silence to mark the passing of Breda Synnott we were called to our mark.

Got a good start and led the group out for the 1st 150 or so, then the eventual top 3 came past settling into what would eventually be their final finishing positions, Timmaay leading with KC and a Parnell runner in close attendance. The 1st k is primarily straight down the port road, before turning on to the prom, my watch clocks it at 3:18 and I've 2 challengers in close attendance.

Keep the pace up along the prom focusing on form and as we pass through what will be the finish line next time around I hear 4:57-4:58-4:59 from one of the officials as we pass through halfway. Come under a little pressure from behind here, but I exit the turns well and begin to pull away. A 3:23 k and I've a bit of work left to get under 10mins.

Make it to the prom section again and I begin to stride out for home, start to close on 3rd for a while but with 250 to go he also picks up the pace, so t he gap never improved. Close it out in 3:17 for 9:58, cough up a lung and then head on a warm down with KC and Abhainn.
    Was glad to get home to a warm shower and the fire on.

Saturday had planned to do the parkrun in Shanganagh, but my glute was tight during the warm up so just kept going at an easy pace and headed on out to Dalkey for a bit of sightseeing before making my way back.

Up early on Sunday as I wanted to get back for the 2nd half of Luke's match and out for 22 @ 7:25 pace. I find this run the most difficult mentally, long and slow with no pace variation, but time on the feet is important, looking forwarding to mixing it up a bit next week.

1 more up cycle week, before a recovery week beckons - looking forward to that.

25317935566_e7f880ec67_b.jpg

Running Totals
    WTD: 81.4 [131.0]
    MTD: 305.6
    [491.6]
    YTD: 655.7 [1055.1]
    Races YTD: 4

• Advertisement

Busy 3 weeks, a good splattering of quality, a master’s PB and a little scare!

Key moments:
    Tuesday March 1st:
    Headed to the Killbogget cinder track for a Vo2 session, but the wind was unbelievable, could barely hit 6min pace on my 1200’s so pulled the plug after 2 and trotted around the park instead.

Thursday March 3rd: 4 x 1200 [4:13-4:12-4:12-4:13 + 6 Strides].
    Much better conditions for this and done my little compact gravel loop at the local GAA grounds. Session went well in control and hitting the times bang on.

Saturday March 5th: 21.4 miles with 5M @ MP, 5min rec, 4M @ MP, 4min rec, 3M @ MP, 3min rec, 2M @ MP, 2min rec, 1M @ MP, average MP pace 6:28, overall pace 6:47.
    Done this on a stretch of road between the Beehive on the old N11 and Deputy’s Pass near Glenealy, not quite flat, but has reasonably shelter from the wind (which was needed). First time doing this session and was unsure if it should be easier with the recoveries versus a straight forward long MP session. In the end once I found my grove it was fine, but took a few mins into each MP block to tune into that MP rhythm again. Would definitely do this session again, recovered pretty quickly afterwards.

Tuesday March 8th: 2 x 3M split Tempo session, 4min recovery, 6:03-5:52.
    Back to the Beehive for this to squeeze it in while I still had some light, target pace was 6min, but there was quite a stiff headwind on the 1st 3M, tried to focus on effort rather than force the pace, even still I was blowing by the end of it. Once I recovered and came back the other way it was so much easier and was trying to put the brakes on and not go too fast, even still 5:52 was a little sprightly.

Sunday March 13th: Bohermeen HM DNF @ 7.4M
    Was really looking forward to this and hooked up with Abhainn and a Parnell runner to head on the 1hr trip to Meath. Was feeling strong and running within myself, going through 5miles in just over 30mins when I felt a twinge in my right hip flexor. I eased off a little to see if I could run through it, but there was no change. As I came through the finish area on lap 1 I just eased off and cruised down towards the car before eventually stopping.

Spent Monday and Tuesday foam rolling the life out of myself, with a couple of very gentle runs and a bike. When I woke on Wednesday and went out for my early morning jog I felt great, so much so that when I got back I jumped on my PC and entered the Mullingar HM for the following Day.

Thursday March 17th: Mullingar HM, 79:56, master’s PB.
    On my todd for this one and Mrs BB was none too happy when I broke the news to her, so hit the road shortly after 8 to arrive in Mullingar about 1hr before kickoff. It was shaping up to be a nice day, with clear skies and about 8 degrees (probably a chillier real feel). Had a chat on the main street and after a 5min delay we were called down to the start.

One target for this race and that was the elusive sub 80, which equates to 6:05-6:06 pace. The start was tidy, plenty of space and was able to get into my running pretty quickly. A bit of uphill until we leave the main road after about 500mts. Uneventful through this section and I’m looking out for groups to form at around my pace, which eventually happened, including the 2 leading ladies and few locals, a mayo runner and emerald07. Miles 1-3 6:05-6:05-6:03.

Hit a nice country after 3miles, slightly uphill and against a noticeable breeze, a bit of sharing of effort along here, with the ladies taking shelter in behind. Decent pocket s of support as we hit various groups of locals. Miles 4-6 6:04-6:04-6:02.

Turn onto a fire road at this stage and a water station and I notice the group has started to disintegrate, even though the pace had dropped slightly. I got on my bike and worked hard not to let the time slide too much and at about 7.5 we’re back on tarmac and heading up towards the N4. Bit of a climb over the motorway here, so I get the head down and keep pace before striding out on the other side. Halfway through this mile we drop down onto the tow path along the canal. Miles 7-9 6:08-6:05-6:04

The tow path is a beautiful running surface, but for me maybe not a great racing surface, it’s light compact gravel so traction feels a little less and not a responsive as the road, or maybe it’s just because it’s mile 10 in a half marathon. Anyway I start to leak some time, mile 10 6:08 was fine and 1hr48secs pops up on the watch, so I’ve about 10-12 secs in hand. Mile 11 I must have had a brain fart, I felt I was moving along at the same pace, but a combination of the surface, fatigue and a lapse in concentration and I’m presented with a 6:18. I’m annoyed with myself and have handed back my cushion just like that. Beginning of mile 12 and the demons appear for the 1st time, ‘couple of 6:20’s and it’s still a master’s PB’, ’80:XX is a decent run’, etc.

A few deep breaths and I put those thoughts to one side, look at the watch 6:20 pace halfway through mile 12, right we’re going for it. Get my head back in the game, start focusing on my form, my breathing and slowly the pace follows, get mile 12 back to 6:12 and I’ve 6mins40 to close it out.

I don’t panic, but slowly start increasing the effort, there’s 2 runners ahead of me, about 100mts, a Mullingar runner and the leading lady. I just focus on trying to close them down, eventually we exit the canal section with under half a mile to go. It’s a tight exit and as I reposition my footing my right toes start to cramp, but once I hit the road they’re fine. Start to really push now, have probably halved the gap, not looking at the watch but mile 13 is 5:59. Hit the finishing straight at Mullingar Town pk and I can just about make out 1:19:3X on the finishing gantry, so I just gun it finishing the last .13 @ 5:04 pace and closing the gap to the 2 runners to 1 and 2 secs respectively. Hit stop on the Garmin, come to stop, down on the hunkers, dry reach and then a glance 1:19:56 – get in there J

Sunday March 20th, LSR 22.2 – 2:41:20 – 7:16 pace
    Had a tough few days after the race, picked up a stomach bug which led to violent puking, stomach cramps and the inability to keep the Bombay doors closed for any length of time, running was impacted and yesterday’s 10 felt like an eternity, but I was fine come this morning.

Met up with Joe who would do 12 miles with me, this was a nice trot and apart from 1 slightly too fast mile and 1 slightly too slow you could throw a handful of seconds either side of the average 7:16 pace, so nice and controlled. Fatigued towards the end, but only a few days after the race and the illness that was understandable.

Little bit of Vo2 work this week and maybe a parkrun.
    25904516306_aa5432b267_b.jpg

Running Totals
    WTD: 75.1 [120.9]
    MTD: 213.8 [344.0]
    YTD: 883.8 [1422.0]
    Races YTD: 6
    Master's PB: 1
    Weight: 70.6kg

Advertisement