Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

claire byrne I've had enough!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,450 ✭✭✭Heroditas

I think her worst moment (for me anyway) was a couple of weeks ago when Eamonn (Happy) Gilmore was being interviewed and asked about what he thought needed to be done.
    He mentioned a property tax and seconds later she lost the rag and shrilly proclaimed "but what about the people who have bought 2, 3, 4 houses and they are all lying empty? These are real people and they are suffering!!!!"

Good grief! Was she talking from a vested viewpoint? That was the first thing that struck me. Give Conor Brophy a shot.

I hated Yates at first but he's ideal for the show. He won't accept any spin or bull from the politicians. Sure deep down he's cut from the same cloth. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

cruizer22b wrote: »
    That reminds me, was that awful Colm and Jim Jim show on sunday nights canceled ? It was slit your wrists TV.

I hope so. Must have been train wreck TV. Colm and Jim Gimp

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭FGR

Heroditas wrote: »
    "but what about the people who have bought 2, 3, 4 houses and they are all lying empty? These are real people and they are suffering!!!!"

I get the impression that I couldn't trust her as far as I could throw her. I find her almost as intolerable as Brenda Power was. Always trying to find the right bias.

Is Brenda still a researcher for the G Hook show?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

They are both Dail Mail hackets in spirit if not in actual fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,459 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

This morning I'd had it with Claire Byrne and her ranting against the important burning issue of the use of models in bikinis to promote something.

Honest to Christ, the country is in the middle of a depression, there is so much to debate about Nama/the Liam O'carroll case, forthcoming tax hikes and spending cuts. If you want to forget that, discuss some decent films in the cinemas right now, or the start of the football season, or climax of the GAA. Whatever, but models in bikinis warrants so much discussion and ranting? It's a free country, if you want to hire some models for your photoshoot go ahead. It gives the girls a job I'm sure they enjoy.

Had to move to Radio 1, who at least had something from the real world like going around the country finding out about the state of farming these days. Which was interesting enough, but felt very 80s with the farmers claiming the poor mouth...:eek:.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

anyone know if there is any online listener-ship trends for Irish stations?

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭barneygumble

I heard the same rant from Ms Byrne. On the day that was in it, that was her idea of a burning issue.

Gilroy wasn't great, but how they moved him on and kept her I have no idea. Ivan at least has a sense of humour which I'd say he needs sharing a studio with Her Ladyship.

The day after her Suffragette act she asked Mary Harney about the "bitter pill" the pharmacists had had to swallow. :pac:

Absolute amateur.

The day after her Suffragette act she asked Mary Harney about the "bitter pill" the pharmacists had had to swallow. :pac:

Absolute amateur.

harney was on newstalk?

the one time she goes on when she does something right.

unreal

• Registered Users Posts: 17,333 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

When I hear Claire Byrne on the airwaves I always think a primary school somewhere in Ireland is missing a teacher.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭kwalshe

When I hear Claire Byrne on the airwaves I always think a primary school somewhere in Ireland is missing a teacher.

When I hear her on the radio I get a bulge in my cacks.. she is a sexy lady

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭salad dodger

Thats a coincidence 'cos when i hear her i think there is a village somewhere missing its idiot!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 ??

I don't mind her banter, she is a bit uneducated on her subject matter at times and very populist but that represents a lot of the listenership too I think? Flying the flag for the masses.

Used to think Ivan was terrible but he has grown on me over the last few weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Hacketry

ksimpson wrote: »
    Ger Gilroy was streets ahead of her. Why they got rid of him and not her baffles me.

Hear, hear!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

?? wrote: »
    I don't mind her banter, she is a bit uneducated on her subject matter at times and very populist but that represents a lot of the listenership too I think? Flying the flag for the masses.

Used to think Ivan was terrible but he has grown on me over the last few weeks.

Agreed on Ivan. He's improved and he sounds like he's gone something between his ears. Claire - well let's just say at best she should be playing records on local radio and reading out texts from I.P. Freely and Jacques Strapp. If I wanted to hear uneducated rants I'd tune into Joe Duffy or Gerry Ryan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 tommy8969

Claire Byrne is not the worst on the radio, far from it!

tommy8969 wrote: »

You just need to listen to Ryan Tubridy and Derek Mooney to confirm that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

Ivan stepped on her toes this morning when he said something like 'you should know why Irish men are the worst lovers' She was rightly pissed off!

I'd say her nose is a bit out of joint now with Ivan beside her

• Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭juuge

She particularly made a right pigs-mickey of the interview with eh!Bertie. It was a complete wasted opportunity in which to nail the bsatard on live radio. What's this he said? oh yeah! 'yizz wuddnt have a job if it wasnt for me' - He really has a way with words!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

tommy8969 wrote: »

Maybe not but she should not be presenting a current affairs program on a national radio station. Its a presenter's job to give the listeners the news of the day/important issues in a professional, impartial manner. Not to let the listeners know how she feels or what she thinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

salonfire wrote: »
    Ivan stepped on her toes this morning when he said something like 'you should know why Irish men are the worst lovers' She was rightly pissed off!
    Lol. Stellar bloke is Ivan.

• Advertisement

Firetrap wrote: »
    Maybe not but she should not be presenting a current affairs program on a national radio station. Its a presenter's job to give the listeners the news of the day/important issues in a professional, impartial manner. Not to let the listeners know how she feels or what she thinks.

This seems to be a failing across Newstalk generally: neither Eamon Keane nor George Hook make any effort at objectivity or impartiality.

That said, they both at least sport a sense of humour and generally seem somewhat better informed on the subjects at hand.

This seems to be a failing across Newstalk generally: neither Eamon Keane nor George Hook make any effort at objectivity or impartiality.

That said, they both at least sport a sense of humour and generally seem somewhat better informed on the subjects at hand.

Eamon Keane is the worst. He gets on my wick in a big way.

Firetrap wrote: »

True enough. But, she's not the worst broadcaster on irish radio by a long chalk.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭Ardent

salonfire wrote: »

I'd say her nose is a bit out of joint now with Ivan beside her

That was unbelievable actually! She urgently needs a sense-of-humour transplant, I don't know if it's just Ivan but she comes across as bizarrely touchy.

Ivan playfully asked her if she agreed with such-and-such a person that Irish men make the worst lovers and she said something like she was not going to honour the question with an answer. When Ivan replied that he didn't mean to offend her (again in a light-hearted manner), she responded with "I'm offended that you think I might even know the answer to that question". I was staring at the radio thinking "WTF?!!".

All credit to Yates for managing to put up with the prima donna.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,333 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Ardent wrote: »
    That was unbelievable actually! She urgently needs a sense-of-humour transplant, I don't know if it's just Ivan but she comes across as bizarrely touchy.

Ivan playfully asked her if she agreed with such-and-such a person that Irish men make the worst lovers and she said something like she was not going to honour the question with an answer. When Ivan replied that he didn't mean to offend her (again in a light-hearted manner), she responded with "I'm offended that you think I might even know the answer to that question". I was staring at the radio thinking "WTF?!!".

All credit to Yates for managing to put up with the prima donna.

She has notions of herself that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 The Cavaliers

Couldnt care less about her journalism , shes bloody HOT thats enough for me!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,459 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

More vacous nonsense today on the breakfast show. On top of the 5 minutes each morning with Tom Dunne, which is bad enough, today we had a section on whos winning x factor, and Gordon Ramsey's plastic surgery, and a bit about the apprentice in there maybe as well. All of this because it's a Tuesday, as 'normally that's a monday chat' for us.:rolleyes:

If this programme was 3 hours long outside peak drive time hours, I could understand them taking a bit of light relief, but they only go for two hours, and there must be a quarter of that taken up by filler at this stage. On Friday they've even now got a guy on to tell us what happened while we listened to the show during the week, and what the most popular subject for texts where...........

Must do better Newstalk. I know from Brendan O'Brien's Saturday and Karen Coleman's Sunday shows you can do a strong news programme.

If there was a strong alternative morning commute news programme other than Morning 'TASS' Ireland, I'd be there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Karen Coleman's Sunday shows
    Now there is a presenter with no personality. Sounds awfully rigid and serious.

grenache wrote: »
    Now there is a presenter with no personality. Sounds awfully rigid and serious.

I actually like her, and I think her personality suits the type of show.

she doesn't let much pass.

she's also very well researched on the majority of the topics

unlike claire were she's left like a rabbit in the head lights DUR

• Advertisement

Karen Coleman certainly doesn't seem to have much in the way of charisma or charm, but she is good at her job (which has little requirement for either).

As for what Claire Byrne brings to the party, your guess is a good as mine.

Advertisement