Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PlayTV Discussion (reasonable discussion ONLY!)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

I contended that a "guess the name in the envelope" was a game of chance and not a game of skill. the commission upheld that complaint against them.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

I contended that a "guess the name in the envelope" was a game of chance and not a game of skill. the commission upheld that complaint against them.

You should complain about Deal or No Deal and Winning Streak so.

Elmo wrote: »
    You should complain about Deal or No Deal and Winning Streak so.

Winning streak and Deal or No Deal are operated by the National Lottery, and are therefore licenced to operate games of chance.

Play TV tried to portray itself as some sort of skill based show, which a lot of the time it was not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

I did say before that play tv did appear to violate the Gaming and Lotteries acts.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭carolluke1

Well done Billy.

• Advertisement

TV3 wants to broadcast the announcement on Friday at midnight. I have voiced my objection to this, not that it will do any good.

I have also asked that the announcement be a better representation of the complaints and the BAI decision than previous broadcasts have been.

It should be broadcast in prime-time.

The announcements are far too vague and do not cover the exact nature of the upheld complaints.

I think the last 3 announcements have been the same except for the dates of the transmission.

You will need to be quite forceful with Ms O'Brien.

Haddockman wrote: »
    It should be broadcast in prime-time.

The announcements are far too vague and do not cover the exact nature of the upheld complaints.

I think the last 3 announcements have been the same except for the dates of the transmission.

You will need to be quite forceful with Ms O'Brien.

And how do you propose that?

Tell her it is unacceptable that TV3 should be allowed to get away with such a wishy washy announcement.

I pretty much said that in my response to her this evening in my response.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭.BrianJM

Friday night has a movie on 'til 12:35 am Saturday

~~~

I shall be sending a comment after the forthcoming 'last' announcement. Included will be:
    I thought the April announcement was spoken rather quickly (i.e. get it over and done with as quickly as possible)
    also:
    They had a 'get out of jail free card' for the first batch which originated with BCC but was (if I remember correctly) published by BAI.
    and some other bits'n'pieces.

The BAI got very upset when I pulled them up on the very first announcement.

TV3 are getting bored of these complaints. Cease and Desist. LOL

1. TV3 points out that this service has been discontinued as of 6 March 2010.

2. TV3 points out that this service has been discontinued as of 6 March 2010.

3. The broadcaster submitted the solution to the complaint without further response.

I suppose the 3rd response didn't say "The broadcaster submitted the solution to the complaint without further response."

http://www.bai.ie/broadcasting_complaints_decisions.html

The last outing. I feel all sad now. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BMollie

So DIE HARD is the film that is on tonight - very appropriate name....and at the break we will have the complaint read out. Did they not even consider that was the worst named film that they could have put out? I think it's hilarious! :D

"They died amidst cats, matchsticks, and triangles"

Die Hard
    A final 2 fingers from TV3 to all the successful complainants?

I think one idea might be to post it to youtube, get everyone here to post it on their bebo/facebook or whatever and get them to get their friends to pass it along.

the broadcast just happened now and was slightly different to the last ones.

will upload it momentarily

Here you go. remember pass it along

That is different alright.

Did you get any response to your objections?

Haddockman wrote: »
    That is different alright.

Did you get any response to your objections?

they simply said that it was up to TV3 when the broadct went out. all the BAI was obliged to do was to get them to broadcast it at the same time of the day as the show. they don't tell them what day it goes out.

• Advertisement

Here you go. remember pass it along

A retweeted link on twitter should spread well, depending upon who's following who etc.

The wording must be up to the BAI?

I think the wording is agreed between them.

they simply said that it was up to TV3 when the broadct went out. all the BAI was obliged to do was to get them to broadcast it at the same time of the day as the show. they don't tell them what day it goes out.

TV and radio stations that get these complaints will often give an apology at a time of day when it doesn't coincide with something important.

For example in this case we see TV3 broadcast the apology during a movie on Friday night. However the BAI could turn around and say that the shows in question went out on Tuesday night and should be broadcast at this time, and that 3 individual apologies should air. Of course for TV3 this would mean that the apology would air after Vincent Brown Tonight and TV3 are trying to avoid any notice of these issues. Note that no broadcast news ever publishes details of these complaints yet the press will often publish such complaints that are upheld.

In Canada these type of annoucements must also be made during prime time when people might actually give a toss.

TV and radio stations that get these complaints will often give an apology at a time of day when it doesn't coincide with something important.

For example in this case we see TV3 broadcast the apology during a movie on Friday night.
    I would have thought that slipping an apology announcement into a movie, in the way they did, was tantamount to broadcasting the judgement in prime time.
    However the BAI could turn around and say that the shows in question went out on Tuesday night and should be broadcast at this time, and that 3 individual apologies should air. Of course for TV3 this would mean that the apology would air after Vincent Brown Tonight and TV3 are trying to avoid any notice of these issues. Note that no broadcast news ever publishes details of these complaints yet the press will often publish such complaints that are upheld.
    They could have waited until 12:30 when the attentive audience figures could be expected to be lower between programs.
    Yes! Some shows at weekends did start at about 12:30.

~~~

....Off topic!
    Sorry.

Auld-Yin wrote: »
    I would have thought that slipping an apology announcement into a movie, in the way they did, was tantamount to broadcasting the judgement in prime time.

How many repeats of Die Hard can we take? I know RTÉ Two had it on a while back and it got something like 250,000 viewers, after it had been repeat a dozen times on Sky 1 and Sky 2. :eek:

Friday Night at 12am isn't tantamount to Prime Time. We would have to see the audience figures for the movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BMollie

How many repeats of Die Hard can we take? I know RTÉ Two had it on a while back and it got something like 250,000 viewers, after it had been repeat a dozen times on Sky 1 and Sky 2. :eek:

Friday Night at 12am isn't tantamount to Prime Time. We would have to see the audience figures for the movie.

Die Hard does have a great following amongst movie buffs..even if they record it they like to see it live, again, and again. And they did put the 'comment' in during the break before ads started.
    I think the print media should have used it as a short snipit..
    However, as a suggestion was made, I think it should go on twitter or facebook.
    Turned into Brainbox for last 10 mins this morning...and films with numbers were required....most were won but it didn't specify that the no. could be within a word... which transpired to be the case. Well that's another day.......

BMollie wrote: »
    Die Hard does have a great following amongst movie buffs.

I agree but at 11:30pm? Remember RTÉ 2 broadcast it at 9pm on a Thursday evening, hence the audience that is why they call it Prime Time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 635 ✭✭✭grrrrrrrrrr

I agree but at 11:30pm? Remember RTÉ 2 broadcast it at 9pm on a Thursday evening, hence the audience that is why they call it Prime Time.

Just after reading your rant about Irish Tv. Buy a dictionary

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement