Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Criticize My Diet!

Options
  • 07-07-2009 12:08am
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,846 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hey guys,

I think I'm in need of a diet critique! I've been going to the gym for a while but I've only recently decided to take the nuitritional aspect seriously. I'm looking to bulk-up with some lean muscle mass basically by working on a program like Starting Strength. I'm about 6" 3' and 77 kg.

So this is what I'm eating:

Breakfast 8am
    Bowl of Porridge with milk (usual size bowl)
    1 slice brown wholemeal toast with honey
    2 or 3 hard boiled eggs

11am
    Tuna sandwich on brown wholemeal bread (half a regular tin)

Lunch 1pm
    Chicken fillet in brown roll with cheese and salad (from a deli)
    500ml milk

3pm
    Some leftover dinner (see dinner!) (1/3 to 1/2 the usual dinner size)

Dinner 6pm
    1.5 chicken breasts with veg and brown rice

Others

Snacking on peanuts during the day (to about 30g protein)
    A protein shake at some time during the day (40g protein)

So I'm just wondering is this basically right? I can adjust the portions as necessary if I need more protein. Is there anything I shouldn't be eating above?

I could probably fit in a snack later on, at 8pm maybe, if needs be...

I can elabourate on any of the above if it's not detailed enough.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭Burkatron

Hey guys,

I think I'm in need of a diet critique! I've been going to the gym for a while but I've only recently decided to take the nuitritional aspect seriously. I'm looking to bulk-up with some lean muscle mass basically by working on a program like Starting Strength. I'm about 6" 3' and 77 kg.

So this is what I'm eating:

Breakfast 8am
    Bowl of Porridge with milk (usual size bowl)
    1 slice brown wholemeal toast with honey
    2 or 3 hard boiled eggs

11am
    Tuna sandwich on brown wholemeal bread (half a regular tin)

Lunch 1pm
    Chicken fillet in brown roll with cheese and salad (from a deli)
    500ml milk

3pm
    Some leftover dinner (see dinner!) (1/3 to 1/2 the usual dinner size)

Dinner 6pm
    1.5 chicken breasts with veg and brown rice

Others

Snacking on peanuts during the day (to about 30g protein)
    A protein shake at some time during the day (40g protein)

So I'm just wondering is this basically right? I can adjust the portions as necessary if I need more protein. Is there anything I shouldn't be eating above?

I could probably fit in a snack later on, at 8pm maybe, if needs be...

I can elabourate on any of the above if it's not detailed enough.

Thanks.

Imo that looks spot on depending on: Is the deli chicken lean or is it breaded? Do you eat at all after 6pm? Its a long time between Dinner & breakfast so if you dont, a protein shake before bed w/skimmed milk to slow the breakdown would be ideal!IMO Possiby a bit too much bread youve got 3 portions before 1 pm so possibly switch to a salad for 1 of those meals.That and depending on what you have for your leftover dinner your having carbs at every meal! Other then that I cant see much wrong with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭zebrafumbler

You have to get out of shape to get into shape so it won't be all lean mass, expect some fat gain as well. Diet looks pretty good, I like to add lots of red meat for extreme muscle gain and try drinking more milk, another great muscle builder, did I mention lots of eggs?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,846 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael Collins

Cheers lads,

That chicken tends to be breaded alright. I know that's not the best but I'm trying to make this diet as stickable-to as possible. If it's really necessary to get lean chicken though I'll look into it....they sometimes have plain chicken pieces.

I tend not to have another meal after 6pm, but I do have a shake about 8 and a pint of milk later on. I could go for some Cottage Cheese on Rivita crackers if that'd suit? Or maybe one of those slow release Casein shakes?

I'll try and reduce the carbs a bit, any ideas for what else besides bread goes with tinned tuna?

Thanks again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

Cheers lads,

That chicken tends to be breaded alright. I know that's not the best but I'm trying to make this diet as stickable-to as possible. If it's really necessary to get lean chicken though I'll look into it....they sometimes have plain chicken pieces.

I tend not to have another meal after 6pm, but I do have a shake about 8 and a pint of milk later on. I could go for some Cottage Cheese on Rivita crackers if that'd suit? Or maybe one of those slow release Casein shakes?

I'll try and reduce the carbs a bit, any ideas for what else besides bread goes with tinned tuna?

Thanks again
    Heard that frying stuff is bad for the cholestoral.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,846 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael Collins

Heard that frying stuff is bad for the cholestoral.

You mean the breaded chicken? It probably is high in cholestroal and transfats alright. My LDL cholestoral is currently quite low (2 point something the last time I had it checked). It's probably worth giving up for that alone I suppose... (Although my understanding is cholestoral problems are largely genetic, and as such diet plays a fairly small factor.)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

You mean the breaded chicken? It probably is high in cholestroal and transfats alright. My LDL cholestoral is currently quite low (2 point something the last time I had it checked). It's probably worth giving up for that alone I suppose... (Although my understanding is cholestoral problems are largely genetic, and as such diet plays a fairly small factor.)
    yeah. would think how you cook food is important too. Know Sean Og O Hailpin used to boil his steaks. not sure if he still does.

yeah. would think how you cook food is important too. Know Sean Og O Hailpin used to boil his steaks. not sure if he still does.

Right. Yeh I say away from using oils when I fry stuff. We don't want those trans fats, no way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭Burkatron

Cheers lads,

Ah in the overall context of things its not that bad,especially if you reduce carbs from other meals but youd defo be better with lean chicken,even alternate it!
    Again youd be adding carbs to your diet!Then again if you are bulking you dont wanna completely cut out carbs so Im probably off in this case! Just vary your sources from bread to wholegrain rice,pasta & the like! A whey protein shake with milk should do the trick as the milk slows the breakdown.Its about 80% of milk proteins so there you go!

Im the wrong guy for this 1,Im not a tuna fan,seafood in general is the only thing that gives me indigestion.Oh & fajitas in Navan Ive discovered recently,dont ask!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭An Citeog

Try tuna with sugar snap peas and a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil. Simple and effective! Try it in a salad aswell or with pasta or just eat it from the tin if you're really feeling lazy!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Remmy

Tuna with brown rice and lemon works well and it beats plain ol tuna from the can.Most of the time i just shovel it in from the can.

• Advertisement
Advertisement