Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interesting Dublin pub names

Options
1235»

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,408 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

MediaTank wrote: »
    Not to threadjack, but my understanding is that the key is just that - a tool to turn the spindle to open/close the sluice gates into the lock. There are no bolts AFAIK in a lock gate, it's the water pressure that keeps the gate closed. Equalizing the water level via the sluice gates allows the gates to be pushed open. The keys were kept by lock keepers whose house were beside the gates. Lot's of them on the city end of the Grand Canal for example at Baggot St., Leeson St. etc.

The keys are usually kept on board a craft although gate keepers etrc would have one too. Indeed what you sat is correct. What I was terminf the key looks just like a rod used to engage the spindle. It looks just the same as those used for open water sluice valves that you'd see in the ground.
    The 'bolts' I refer to are more like iron rods, about 50mm wide and 5mm thick. I think there are three to each gate. These rods lower into the ground to lock the gate. When the spindle is engaged and turned the mechanism lift these rods and so frees the gate so the pressure can be applied to the swing arms. Then nice and slowly allow the lock to fill or empty. Return gates into position and then lower these rods (or bolts) back into position in order to lock the gates once again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭MediaTank

humberklog wrote: »
    The 'bolts' I refer to are more like iron rods, about 50mm wide and 5mm thick. I think there are three to each gate. These rods lower into the ground to lock the gate. When the spindle is engaged and turned the mechanism lift these rods and so frees the gate so the pressure can be applied to the swing arms. Then nice and slowly allow the lock to fill or empty. Return gates into position and then lower these rods (or bolts) back into position in order to lock the gates once again.

Not quite. The lock gates are called mitre gates and the water pressure is sufficient to hold them in place. There are no rods. The sluices are called paddles and the lock key is called a windlass. Lot's of detail here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canal_lock

Not quite. The lock gates are called mitre gates and the water pressure is sufficient to hold them in place. There are no rods. The sluices are called paddles and the lock key is called a windlass. Lot's of detail here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canal_lock

Thanks for all that Mediatank. Good to put the names to the stuff as I've just been using my own termology whenever bringing barges around. Still have to get one off the Shannon in a week or two. I'll blind the others on board with my new names for thingies.

But there are these rods that go down into the ground. When you turn the thinymebobs it raises them. I understand the the water pressure will hold gates in place. But it's the key that's needed to raise these bolts/rods. In order to stop tomfoolery.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭MediaTank

But there are these rods that go down into the ground. When you turn the thinymebobs it raises them. I understand the the water pressure will hold gates in place. But it's the key that's needed to raise these bolts/rods. In order to stop tomfoolery.

Apparently the rods don't go into the ground they just raise or lower the paddles. I'll have a closer look after work - I walk along the Grand Canal on the way home.

Apparently the rods don't go into the ground they just raise or lower the paddles. I'll have a closer look after work - I walk along the Grand Canal on the way home.

I know that some do as I've a pic of them. I'm trying to think which section I was on when I took it though. It's on film but will try and find negs to upload. The only ones I've on disc are me being very drunk at the wheel.

I think it was when we'd the barge in the city when the pics were taken of the mechanism but also further out at Robertstown perhaps.

• Advertisement

I just had a check with my co-pilot and he says he hasn't a clue what I'm on about. The mechanism is only to lift the water flap at the bottom. I thought that there was also bars that went down (or up). Not so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

To get back to subejct interesting pub names. The Sheds or Connollys on Clontarf road.

To get back to subejct interesting pub names. The Sheds or Connollys on Clontarf road.

What makes it interesting Bayview?
    Do you know why it's called 'The Sheds'?

The Sheds is in reference to the type of buildings that were located around that area when it was a fishing village. That's the area that Dublin Bay mussles and cockles would have been brought to shore from the mud flats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

What makes it interesting Bayview?
    Do you know why it's called 'The Sheds'?

The Sheds is in reference to the type of buildings that were located around that area when it was a fishing village. That's the area that Dublin Bay mussles and cockles would have been brought to shore from the mud flats.
    very good. if anything else its got a good history.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭venividivici

i think the new pub in tyrellstown has a great name, The Thirsty Bull..doubt there's any history to it but i just like it!!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

That's the area that Dublin Bay mussles and cockles would have been brought to shore from the mud flats.

Not just shellfish..salmon were fished commercially from the mouth of the tolka there too.

Advertisement