Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can a UK bus pass be used in ireland?

Options
  • 04-07-2009 1:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭

Just wondering, Ive family coming over from the UK on holiday, they have UK bus passes, can they be used here on the national/local network?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭Carroller16

Most definitely not i would say

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

as much chance as it workin in france.WE ARE A DIFFERENT COUNTRY.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

yeah i do know, but being part of europe etc. Im sure Irish bus passes are valid in NI?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

df1985 wrote: »
    WE ARE A DIFFERENT COUNTRY.

Really?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭bazzer

snaps wrote: »
    yeah i do know, but being part of europe etc. Im sure Irish bus passes are valid in NI?

That's just a reciprocal arrangement between the two respective Social Welfare departments operating in both jurisdictions on the island of Ireland. There are no other such arrangements with any other states, in Europe or elsewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

bazzer wrote: »
    That's just a reciprocal arrangement between the two respective Social Welfare departments operating in both jurisdictions on the island of Ireland. There are no other such arrangements with any other states, in Europe or elsewhere.

Correct and to available of it you have to apply for a Senior SmartPass even if you already hold a Free Travel Pass. Without it you can't use free travel in the other jurisdiction. The OP's relatives would need proof of residency in NI in order to apply.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

clue in the title.... UK bus pass:)

corktina wrote: »
    clue in the title.... UK bus pass
    Your point? there's already a free travel scheme between Ireland and a part of the UK so the OP's question is perfectly valid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

chilll out dude...see the smilie....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

slimjimmc wrote: »
    Your point? there's already a free travel scheme between Ireland and a part of the UK so the OP's question is perfectly valid.

The scheme has an extension which is between Northern Ireland and Southern only so it applies to the island of Ireland.

Cant see many NI pensioners using it cos the drink and eating out prices are so cheap.

Now for pensioners from the South its a great deal.

Grannys Booze Run.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭Terrontress

That is all for free travel. What about an Oyster? If you had a pay as you go Oyster could you use it to pay on to the DART and if so, what rate do they do the conversion?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

That is all for free travel. What about an Oyster? If you had a pay as you go Oyster could you use it to pay on to the DART and if so, what rate do they do the conversion?

If we had a proper standardised purse based smartcard there would only be some relatively minor implementation hurdles to make that work actually. Not the best thing to use as an analogy!

CDfm wrote: »
    The scheme has an extension which is between Northern Ireland and Southern only so it applies to the island of Ireland.
    I know, that's why I said 'part of the UK'.:D
    CDfm wrote: »
    Cant see many NI pensioners using it cos the drink and eating out prices are so cheap.
    Football matches, rock concerts, visit dead relatives, skinny dipping :eek: in Costa del Sunny (ok, less rainy) South East.

Now for pensioners from the South its a great deal.

Grannys Booze Run.
    Ahhh, long live the granny, may she keep our drinks cabinet full for many years to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭jahalpin

The Oyster cards only work within the London zonal areas. They do not work in any other areas in the UK or in any other country

jahalpin wrote: »
    The Oyster cards only work within the London zonal areas. They do not work in any other areas in the UK or in any other country

What about in Scotland?

Ahhh, long live the granny, may she keep our drinks cabinet full for many years to come.

Do you still have the Granny Booze Busses from the South to NI?

They sure do, in fact I know of one going today to Newry.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

What about in Scotland?

Oyster is a TfL product - i.e. it is only valid in London!!!!

They sure do, in fact I know of one going today to Newry.

They have their own website Granny Takes a Trip a boutique and everything= its a statement

http://images.google.ie/images?hl=en&q=granny+takes+a+trip&um=1&ie=UTF-8&ei=vO1PSv_SBKLMjAetqbhE&sa=X&oi=image_result_group&ct=title&resnum=4

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

No doubt in the near future with the roll out of smart card technology and e borders the one card will do all. In this way the authorities can keep track of everyones movements irrespective of what country they are in. :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Well my GF's father works for CIE and their family gets free bus and rail travel in Ireland, free Swansea ferries as a pedestrian and free London Underground...RANDOM!!!

Hogzy wrote: »
    Well my GF's father works for CIE and their family gets free bus and rail travel in Ireland, free Swansea ferries as a pedestrian and free London Underground...RANDOM!!!

Ah but that's different...

There has always been the option for railway staff to get discounted/free travel on European railway operators' services...

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭fh041205

free bus and rail travel in Ireland

Thats sounds strange to me. I never heard of anyone having free bus AND rail travel. I thought it was one or the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

fh041205 wrote: »
    Thats sounds strange to me. I never heard of anyone having free bus AND rail travel. I thought it was one or the other.

Oh maybe it is, i was just making the point she can use the London Underground for free despite being in Ireland!!

KC61 wrote: »
    Oyster is a TfL product - i.e. it is only valid in London!!!!

Ok so in England then. What about Manchester?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

That'd be the Swansea ferry that doesn't run any more then? ;)

Ok so in England then. What about Manchester?

Eh how else do I put this - Oyster works in London ONLY!!!!!

There are National Railcards for older people that allow discounts, but no smartcards.

There is no inter-operability between Oyster and any other transport operator anywhere outside of London. It is stand-alone in London.

KC61 wrote: »
    Eh how else do I put this - Oyster works in London ONLY!!!!!

There are National Railcards for older people that allow discounts, but no smartcards.

There is no inter-operability between Oyster and any other transport operator anywhere outside of London. It is stand-alone in London.

Is that everywhere in London?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,253 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Is that everywhere in London?

If you are so interested in the scheme, perhap you should read up on it?

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Irelandcool

It be nice if there was a deal between the UK and Ireland where people with the disabled free travel pass would work on all public and private transportation including Air travel. I mean that would be really handy.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement