Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you think animals can understand humans???

Options
  • 03-07-2009 11:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭

Was going to post in animal and pet issues- but its a general question not just for pet owners.

Personally i think they can, i mean when i say "dinner" my cat tears across the house like he is on fire. the other day when he was crying to me for his fave toy and i couldnt find it i said "wheres your toy honey" and he trotted off and led me to it(caught between two big pipes donno how he got it in there- but basically he needed me to get ot out for him)

My dog when i was 10 understood everything i said (i think) when i said the word "sad" or "kiss" he licked my face, when i said "play" he ran and got his ball

I mean what do ye all think- can animals understand humans or is it like the simpsons (ie- bla bla bla sit)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

My dog understands everything, says nothing, and knows I'm a cnut.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,331 ✭✭✭✭bronte

My cat can. :D
    She knows when she's done something wrong!
    Edit: If you pretend to cry she jumps up and comforts you!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Most if not all of that is just association. Say walkies when you feed him and foodies when you walk him and you'll get my point. They just learn to associate the noises and tones with the actions through experience.

It's basically conditioning: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Classical_conditioning

• Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

Our cat's the same... call him by his name, he'll look at you, shout any other name, he doesn't.

Same with the word "dinner" he definitely knows what it means, because he'll go to his bowl and wait.

He doesn't seem to understand that we don't want him bringing in half-dead mice/birds into the house though.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,067 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

My dog knows that when I say the word toilet, its time to jump up on the couch and refuse to move

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭Tomebagel

Me and my dog had a full blown conversation yesterday,we talked about the recession.

I think thats more to do with routine than anything else, e.g Like if i go to put my shoes on the dog will think its going for a walk. If i go to the press with his food in it he'l think he's being fed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭Trinity

Yeah everything except come back ya cnut.

ah if i ask my dog for a hug he wraps his paws around my neck and if i say do the baby he lies back in the crook of my arms

My rabbit comes when ya call him, chases the dog, jumps out at him when hes not expecting it, great craic watching them

But i suppose it could also be repetative behaviour, i show him what a hug is and he associates the word with the action

• Registered Users Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

My dog definately knows most of what I'm saying, before when I was telling him to do something or go somewhere I'd point but nowadays I just say the word and he does it easily enough. I think dogs are a great way to relax, you can talk away to them and sub-consciously believe they know what you're saying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,016 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

Do you think animals can understand humans???

Nah, it's just simple animal psychological conditioning.
    In the same way that mods will ban people for certain keywords.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Intelligent animals or educated \ trained ones?:P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭enniscorthy

D.E.F.O. M.A.T.E.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

If I am having a lie down to get rid of a headache, they come in and sit by me to make sure I'm ok. Sometimes I might even get my hair cleaned. hehehehahaooo :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Whosbetter?

Ah animals, they don't understand us when we need something.
    On the other hand, when they need something, they understand us perfectly!

Bit like tourists/foreigners/your kids, really.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭enniscorthy

Ah animals, they don't understand us when we need something.
    On the other hand, when they need something, they understand us perfectly!

Bit like tourists/(some)foreigeners really.:rolleyes:

mate:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

Most dogs are trained by a verbal command coupled with a hand gesture. ( :p ) then a reward.
    They get to associate the two = the reward.

Having said that my dog absolutely knows if I am a bit below par and won't leave my side on those occasions.
    My dog knows that when I say the word toilet, its time to jump up on the couch and refuse to move

He goes on the couch?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

Tomebagel wrote: »
    Me and my dog had a full blown conversation yesterday,we talked about the recession.
    Had he any interesting insights to offer?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,978 ✭✭✭445279.ie

javaboy wrote: »
    Most if not all of that is just association. Say walkies when you feed him and foodies when you walk him and you'll get my point. They just learn to associate the noises and tones with the actions through experience.

It's basically conditioning: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Classical_conditioning

Well how do you explain Lassie and Flipper then :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

445279.ie wrote: »

People in costumes obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

445279.ie wrote: »

No, you are not getting it.
    Lassie and Flipper did the explaining.;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,067 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

[...]

He goes on the couch?:D

If I told him not to he probably would. =p

Seriously, sometimes I drag him half off the sofa so that his front legs are on the floor and he just sits with his arse on the couch looking at me..

I know he's laughing inside

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Ghost Girl

Oh yes they can understand, maybe conditioning what ever, but I know they understand when i saw how my dog hides on me when he doesn't want to come in from his walk. The dog defends our child from strangers, when we;re sad or sick, he knows some thing is up, and is going around with his ears down all day.

Knows routines, knows when we're leaving the house in the car - will be watching us until we get into the car, he's suddenly at our feet, no hide and seek then!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭Tomebagel

Had he any interesting insights to offer?

Its affecting him badly,he was let go from the pound.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Lovin the thread title! I flick between here and Animal and Pet mainly so am dying to give the long convoluted reason why animals dont think like us...but i wont:D:D . Short answer is animals are more intelligent than we give them credit for,but they dont "think" the same as us..although some AH posters would make me question that:D

Pets have an amazing capacity to learn sounds and actions but of course wont understand an entire sentence. Its a tone of voice and an action that they learn so yeh, id go as far as to say they "understand" us to a certain degree as long as we try and understand them back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭conchubhar1

do you think humans can understand animals?

like woof - is bad
    but a bark - they mean business

polly wanna cracker?

like woof - is bad
    but a bark - they mean business

polly wanna cracker?
    Proves my point exactly ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

Rarrrrrr rarrrrrrrr.... snarl.... bark bark bark bark.... snarl.

Pant...

Pant.....

Pant.......

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRR-BARK BARK BARK BARK!!!

FearDark wrote: »
    Rarrrrrr rarrrrrrrr.... snarl.... bark bark bark bark.... snarl.

Pant...

Pant.....

Pant.......

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRR-BARK BARK BARK BARK!!!
    Conchubhar1 is wreckin your head...yeh??Good boy!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Naaah, doubt it. Sure we can't understand dogs or birds or anything. They might know what we're up to but I'd say they're confuzzled by alot. Like, why do we were clothes? Why do we live in such large dwellings yet so little people live in it? How on Earth do we work those large moving machines? Why do they always stop randomly?

Same way as when we see a red-mite or something we have no idea what it's doing wandering around on top of the wall.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

anniehoo wrote: »
    Conchubhar1 is wreckin your head...yeh??Good boy!!

Yap yap yap...

Pant...

Advertisement