Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HDip in Accounting in DIT

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Hackysack

Yeah you may as well not try anything at all!!!

Really Mr CA, your passion for turning people away from accountancy can really be astounding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 PharmNS

I'm not just doing the first course that caught my eye. I loved accounting in school and had a real aptitude for it - A1 in leaving cert. Was tied between two careers after school and unfortunately made the wrong choice. I've no illusions that it's going to be easy and I know the money is crap to start with but I'm not letting that put me off. My current career is quite prestigious and well-paid so if money was my motivation I would be staying where I am. I'm doing this because I genuinely think that accounting is the career for me. And if I'm wrong about that I will have had a years break from my current job and will have a level 9 qualification on my CV so really I think it's a win-win situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 jjjqwerty

Do you think that if you got a 2.2 degree and then did well in the PDA that companies would consider hiring you or is there no point in doing the PDA if u dont get a 2.1

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Creane

Hi, currently doing PDA and secured contract with big 4 firm. Is it a 3 or 3.5 yr contract for PDA. My contract says 3 yrs but i thought that was only for masters students

• Registered Users Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭An Citeog

Creane wrote: »
    Hi, currently doing PDA and secured contract with big 4 firm. Is it a 3 or 3.5 yr contract for PDA. My contract says 3 yrs but i thought that was only for masters students

As far as I know, it's 3 years but I couldn't confirm that that's the case for every firm. It's a huge benefit of doing the PDA if you're moving into audit because it means you'll have one less busy season as a trainee than those with 3.5 year contracts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭bigmc23

I'm in the same position as you, and yes it is a 3yr contract on joining the firm having done the PDA

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭bigmc23

An Citeog wrote: »
    As far as I know, it's 3 years but I couldn't confirm that that's the case for every firm. It's a huge benefit of doing the PDA if you're moving into audit because it means you'll have one less busy season as a trainee than those with 3.5 year contracts.

My thoughts exactly, i'm going for direct entry after my PDA. The masters route would be a smoother ride but not worth it imo

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Creane

Thanks guys, it's an added bonus to know I will be qualified that little bit sooner!! 6 months is 6 months! As for the Masters, it would be nice to be able to have the Cap 2's out of the way but not at the expense of another yr in college! The work/study balance is supposed to be tough but hopefully we get through it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭An Citeog

Thanks guys, it's an added bonus to know I will be qualified that little bit sooner!! 6 months is 6 months! As for the Masters, it would be nice to be able to have the Cap 2's out of the way but not at the expense of another yr in college! The work/study balance is supposed to be tough but hopefully we get through it!!

It's not that bad tbh, especially with the study leave you get from the big 4. If you were to put in a bit of work for both CAs during the year and get your head around consolidation and one of corp tax/cgt, you'll have plenty of time to cover everything during study leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 SashaH

I did the Pgd in DIT and found employment before graduation. It is a tough programme, very intensive especially if you have not done much accounting but all doable. Just go to all the lectures and sit up the front. There were a few stragglers there in my year which can be distracting.

Make sure to set up a study group and to check which body your interested in. I entered ACA at CAP 2 with exemptions. Even though I studied Audit I didnt get an exemption. I found out later that CPA would have given it. That would have suited me down to the ground as I dont have much audit experience....:pac:

• Advertisement
Advertisement