Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Outlook express.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

You're a towel

NO U!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

<waits for snotty Mac user or <insert other Linux distribution> to post>

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭Agamemnon

Outlook in all its forms is pretty sad, but at least it's not fucking Notes.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Ruu wrote: »
    <waits for snotty Mac user or <insert other Linux distribution> to post>
    I mentioned Thunderbird...does that count?
    Agamemnon wrote: »
    We use it in work. I feel so dirty :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

Agamemnon wrote: »

*Vomits everywhere*

Christ man, don't say it's name.... you'll damn us all!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

FTW!

Although can't remember if this will replace Express. Someone please correct me!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,287 ✭✭✭NotMe

Thunderbirds is are what I use go. Well I really just use GMail but I sometimes run Thunderbird so that I have a local copy of my emails.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

I use it in work all the time, its standard here.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Plenty of people still use it, including Microsoft Outlook (different from Express).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Irish Halo

banquo wrote: »
    Is it true that it downloads emails?
    Thunderbird + IMAP FTW all the convenience of a stand alone client with the advantages of an online interface. All my accounts work, Gmail and another personal one are IMAP and I can interface with them all at the same time from the same place. Even lets me keep an eye on a "shared" account for group I work with.

I also know lots of people who have to use Outlook for work. More or less everyone at CERN uses Outlook, the Science Museum too, I think most large companies run Microsoft exchange servers and so will use Outlook. The other competitor in that field is Lotus Notes (apparently sys admins love it)

I dislike it and have never used it before TB used Eudora.

Also just because it comes bundled free with an operating system not make it a good thing e.g. Internet Explorer. I don't even use Mail/Safari on my Mac.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

Irish Halo wrote: »
    Thunderbird + IMAP FTW all the convenience of a stand alone client with the advantages of an online interface. All my accounts work, Gmail and another personal one are IMAP and I can interface with them all at the same time from the same place. Even lets me keep an eye on a "shared" account for group I work with.

I also know lots of people who have to use Outlook for work. More or less everyone at CERN uses Outlook, the Science Museum too, I think most large companies run Microsoft exchange servers and so will use Outlook. The other competitor in that field is Lotus Notes (apparently sys admins love it)

I dislike it and have never used it before TB used Eudora.

Also just because it comes bundled free with an operating system not make it a good thing e.g. Internet Explorer. I don't even use Mail/Safari on my Mac.

Lotus Notes blows outlook out of the water (particularly Outlook 2008).

I used to use outlook express yeeeearrrrs ago on dialup, it was more for offline newsgroups than for mail, back then dialup was phonebills by the minute so offline email was a big thing. Then came office outlook which was bloated, took longer to load and do anything and was generally pants.

We use it in work. I feel so dirty :(
    High five, avatar brother! .o/
    *Vomits everywhere*

Christ man, don't say it's name.... you'll damn us all!
    The Eclipse-based version is especially horrific. It's so sluggish and bug-ridden that it takes about four minutes to start, from clicking the desktop icon to reading the first mail. I'm hoping my employers upgrade to carrier pigeon someday.

Morlar wrote: »
    Lotus Notes blows
    FYP

• Registered Users Posts: 21,239 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I tried Thunderbird and don't really understand the hype - it's not particularly nice for non-techies to configure.

I use Gmail to manage 3 or 4 accounts but I'm not mad on the interface. Once it's not Microsoft, people will say it's cool though.

At work we use Outlook 2007. Combine that with Xobni, and it does all I need and more.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

weird thread, but anway. apologies if already in the thread but -

outlook express is the host email client for windows XP and i assume 98, 2000 etc.

it has been replaced by windows mail in Vista.

i use windows mail now and used OE in vista. its a simple basic email client and i like it for checking my eircom emails, i have 3 eircom addresses, which 2 are for sports clubs i am involved in, the other is personal.

I use outlook in work on exchange server so something different at home. but in all fairness, i dont care what i use, as long as my emails come in with the click of one button. web based applications for email are terrible IMO.

main advantage of Outlook over outlook express is calander and also exchange. most of the other things are the same. OE is free, so you dont need to install or buy it on a new computer.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

I've used Hotmail, Yahoo and GMail, and GMail - to me - outshines the others. I love the interface, but that's a matter of personal taste. I also like that, if I ever wanted to, I can at least forward my mail which Hotmail doesn't allow (the source of much rage). Also, calendar and docs and chat intergration. Despise Hotmail. Despise.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,909 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

I left Hotmail because of all the junk mail. Yahoo was boring enough interface. Gmail has a nice interface (a little buggy at times), great spam catcher and excellent features which are constantly being added. I use Thunderbird to download some of my Gmail accounts mail on my home machine.

My main problem is that i use Chrome and hotmail has issues with it. Obviously the problem's on Chrome's end, but meh. Me likey.

There's a few new things in Hotmail I like the look of, but I'm waiting for the next stage of development before I consider making the switch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Yes, it's great.

Think I might marry it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

I take it very few of you work in an office?

I don't. Out of curiosity, why would an office like their staff to use Outlook? Because then all emails are on the company server?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Yup I use it. I have it open right now, with 4 different addys from different ISPs routing into it. I hate web based email.

[edit] This is a home PC and I don't work in an office.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,239 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I don't. Out of curiosity, why would an office like their staff to use Outlook? Because then all emails are on the company server?

Lots of possible reasons - collaboration / licensing / easier to support one application / easy integration with domain logons.

Email can be stored on the server with any email server I would think.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

How do you use it. I remember being told in was the 1995 windows 3.1 data base but I can never get it to work.

I see. I'm hearing support for this thing. Any reasons why it sucks?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

my work uses it, I don't really have any issue with it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

Because I have a work email address which is on an exchange server

But at home I set up my Pop 3 gmail account with Outlook 2007

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

I see. I'm hearing support for this thing. Any reasons why it sucks?

It sucks to you because you dont know how to use it ;)

• Advertisement

BVB wrote: »
    It sucks to you because you dont know how to use it ;)

Agreed. Also, it applies across the board. German also sucks.

Advertisement