Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SNAKE KILLS TOT

Options
  • 03-07-2009 6:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,25722342-2703,00.html
    • Font Size: Decrease Increase
    • Print Page: [URL="javascript:print();"]Print[/URL]

July 02, 2009

Article from: The Australian
    A TWO-YEAR-OLD was strangled by an albino Burmese python more than 8-feet long early Wednesday morning in this rural Florida community, according to authorities.
    Officials with Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission, or FWC, said it's likely this may be the state's first case of a non-venomous constrictor snake causing a death.

Sumter County Sheriff and state wildlife officials captured the python inside the home late Wednesday afternoon and placed it inside a bag. It's not known whether the snake will be euthanized. The python had a bloody gouge about a foot from the tip of its nose, where it was stabbed by its owner Charles Darnell.

Lt. Bobby Caruthers of Sumter County Sheriff's Office said the python was a family pet that apparently broke free from inside a glass aquarium in the home's living room. The snake then made its way into the girl's bedroom and apparently strangled her in the middle of the night, according to authorities. The girl was identified as Shaiunna Hare.

Darnell, 32, found the snake - about 8.5 feet long - on top of the 2-year-old Wednesday morning after he noticed the snake was missing from the aquarium. He then started stabbing the reptile. Family members called 911 at 9:43 a.m. The child was dead when emergency crews arrived at 10 a.m. She had a bite mark on her head, authorities said.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Jenroche

And this is why snakes shouldn't be kept in the same house as young children. Dumbasses! The poor kid. :(

Jen ;->

• Registered Users Posts: 28,866 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

There was already a thread about this yesterday BrendandSmith.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

SNAKE KILLS TOT

Poor Lil' Tater.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

Snakes on a tot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Already discussed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Jenroche wrote: »
    And this is why snakes shouldn't be kept in the same house as young children. Dumbasses! The poor kid. :(

Jen ;->

Yeah one irresponsible snake owner represents them all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭daveyboy_1ie

I read about it yesterday and all I thought was 'why would you keep a snake like that in a house with children?'.

The world is full of selfish people it seems

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

I read about it yesterday and all I thought was 'why would you keep a snake like that in a house with children?'.

The world is full of selfish people it seems
    My guess is that the guy had the snake first and met your one after, the child was not his.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,467 ✭✭✭Wazdakka

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement