Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Half Price Dunnes Laptop

Options
  • 01-07-2009 5:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭

Just saw a HP laptop in local Dunnes for about €250 - it's a half price deal. From memory: Intel dual core, 160Gb, 1Gb, Vista Ultimate. Sorry I can't be more accurate with specs.

It may be a second prize for those of us who didn't get the littlewoods €69 PC, if the deal is nationwide.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭donmeister

squibs wrote: »
    Just saw a HP laptop in local Dunnes for about €250 - it's a half price deal. From memory: Intel dual core, 160Gb, 1Gb, Vista Ultimate. Sorry I can't be more accurate with specs.

Vista Ultimate with 1gb ram? :confused: Although, with a cheap 30e upgrade on ram this could be a very nice laptop for the price,good find OP!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I hate to cast doubt over those specs, but surely a laptop like that wouldn't come with Vista Ultimate preloaded? Home premium sounds more likely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭aloevera

wow, thats fantastic.

if anyone finds out more info please let me know,id be interested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭squibs

I reiterate, I'm working from memory. Thought it was Vista Ultimate - could be wrong. Deffo dual core, deffo 1Gb RAM, price was about €250. I figured it was better to post hazy detail than to post nothing.

If I had a biro I'd have taken down the details. There's no guarantee that it is nationwide - there was one display box in my local Dunnes (Mallow). Hopefully somebody with better memory can check another branch of Dunnes shortly and report back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭superfly

squibs wrote: »
    I reiterate, I'm working from memory..

this is why god put cameras on phones :p

• Advertisement

this is why god put cameras on phones tongue.gif

My ancient phone makes phone calls, and if I'm feeling adventurous I can do texts - no camera (shock horror), but you may pry that phone from my cold dead Luddite hands :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 679 ✭✭✭polyfusion

I hears ya squibs - I've had 2 or 3 phones over the past few years, and I've always had to go back to my trusty 3510i, as the others have either broke, stopped working completely, or just annoyed the hell out of me with their fiddly keys or having to wait ages for a response as it lumbers into sub-menus!

Thanks for the heads-up on the laptop though, I'm in the market for a cheapo lappy or netbook. Might be a grand consolation after the Littlewoods fiasco!

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

If it's a dual core and not a Core 2 duo it's probably a pile of ****.
    OneGB RAM is crap too, and I'm guessing the graphics are intel 3100.

Not back I guess but you're better off spending the extra 100 or so and getting something a it better.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,036 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

jayteecork wrote: »

Not back I guess but you're better off spending the extra 100 or so and getting something a it better.

price sounds good for the spec to me, and 100 more won't get you too much extra

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Top Dog

After reading this thread last night I went to Dunnes in Mallow today to check it out.

Its a Fujitsu Siemens laptop (Amilo Pi 2512)
    Price is €275 (apparently now half original price)

Specs;
    Display 15.4" WXGA BrilliantView
    Processor Intel Pentium Dual Core T2330 (1.6GHz)
    Memory 2x512MB RAM DDR2/667
    HDD 120GB SATA/5400rpm
    ODD Supermulti-format DVD burner

Hardware Configuration
    Graphics Intel Graphic Media Accelerator X3100 up to 245MB shared memopry
    Comm Modem 56k, LAN 10/100
    WLAN Liteon WN6302A-F4 LITEON LR V03
    ExpressCard 34/54, Cardreader 4 in 1
    VGA, 3xUSB2.0
    Mic/Line in, Headphone/SPDiF
    Audio 2 speakers, 7.1 sound via SPDiF

They don't have any left in Mallow, dummy box on the shelf was removed by the manager after I enquired about availability. They should be nationwide though.

There's also another laptop offer - Esprimo V5535 2GB for €339. None there though, and no empty box about either to check the specs on it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,821 ✭✭✭budhabob

Is this a decent deal? maybe upgrade the ram etc, but would it be a decent enough laptop?

I honestly don't know - thats why I got the specs - so someone could tell me if its a good deal or not

• Registered Users Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭x43r0

The specs are poor.

Any laptop with vista and 1GB of RAM is doomed to fail. I would never recommend anyone to buy a laptop like this.

This is because in order to run idle, vista requires 1GB of RAM. In lay-man's terms, the term "Run Idle" means to be turned on and doing nothing. Essentially when you hit the power button, logon and just leave it then. That is 'running idle'.

So if that laptop's RAM is used on running the OS alone, imagine what would happen if you went online while listening to itunes and burning a cd all at the same time. CRASH

Shops push machines with specs like these at low prices because its a quick buck and they know that after a few months of annoyance with the slow laptop people will inevitably return to upgrade(€€€)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

€32 for 2GB RAM:
    http://shop4memory.com/products/ddr2.asp#4200

2GB Transcend Jetram DDR2 667MHz PC2-5300 (CL5) Dual Channel memory kit
    2GB DDR2 PC2-5300 memory upgrade kit, consisting of 2x 1GB 667MHz modules. 240 pins, non-ECC, matched kit for DDR2 based systems. Retail packed and backed by lifetime warranty. View picture
    Part Number: JM2GDDR2-6K
    Manufacturer: Transcend
    In stock € 32

Cheers for that.

Forgot to mention that its Vista Home Premium too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭carbsy

x43r0 wrote: »
    Shops push machines with specs like these at low prices because its a quick buck and they know that after a few months of annoyance with the slow laptop people will inevitably return to upgrade(€€€)

Dunnes don't sell memory or any upgrades for that matter so it rules that point out but you have a valid point for 'proper' places like PC World etc

• Registered Users Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭x43r0

quarryman wrote: »
    €32 for 2GB RAM:
    http://shop4memory.com/products/ddr2.asp#4200

2GB Transcend Jetram DDR2 667MHz PC2-5300 (CL5) Dual Channel memory kit
    2GB DDR2 PC2-5300 memory upgrade kit, consisting of 2x 1GB 667MHz modules. 240 pins, non-ECC, matched kit for DDR2 based systems. Retail packed and backed by lifetime warranty. View picture
    Part Number: JM2GDDR2-6K
    Manufacturer: Transcend
    In stock € 32

That's not a bad price but i don't think the target market for budget laptops would have the know-how to open said laptops and upgrade the memory (without doing damage anyway).

I'd be wary of doing it myself even with 3 years of a computer science degree under my belt. Opening a laptop is just risky my book but I know lads who do it no problem so its very doable and there are vids and such online if one was determined to do it

Thanks for filling in the blanks Top Dog. Should be a great machine for general use with memory upgrade.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭bazwaldo

So if that laptop's RAM is used on running the OS alone, imagine what would happen if you went online while listening to itunes and burning a cd all at the same time. CRASH

OS's shouldn't crash (even Vista) just because they are short of memory. It just means that there'll be loads of swapping from memory to harddisk which will make it dog slow.

€250 isn't bad. I'd prefer this to a netbook of similar pricing.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

That's not a bad price but i don't think the target market for budget laptops would have the know-how to open said laptops and upgrade the memory (without doing damage anyway).

I'd be wary of doing it myself even with 3 years of a computer science degree under my belt. Opening a laptop is just risky my book but I know lads who do it no problem so its very doable and there are vids and such online if one was determined to do it
    Its not that hard to change the ram on most machines.

Must check out my local Dunnes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭nowuckenfurries

http://www.crucial.com/eu/store/listparts.aspx?model=Amilo%20Pi%202512&pl=Fujitsu-Siemens&cat=RAM

EUR 30.84 via ups or EUR 24.77 via royal mail with crucial for 2 gig upgrade of memory..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

I just checked online and on this model there is one RAM slot on the bottom of the laptop and the second is under the keyboard. I've done it before on Dells and it can be a bit tricky to get the plactic bits off around the keyboard to get at the RAM slot but having two left hands, I'd say if I can do it most people can! :o

Just found out that Fujitsu and Siemens ended their joint venture earlier this year so I guess they are selling out all existing stock, in future they will be just Fujitsu computers.

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭karlyk1

Has anyone seen these in any branches of Dunnes on Dublin's northside? Ringing around and I'm not having any joy. Was looking for a netbook for herself, but this would obviously be better. (I'm a Mac man myself... not looking forward to working with a PC again!)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,534 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

A computer science degree doesn't really teach much about hardware and to be honest putting new Ram into a laptop is a piece of cake,anyone can do it.

Its a decent deal ,an extra 2Gb of ram is cheap but I'd be worried about the max Ram capacity (2Gb or 4Gb) but for under 300 euro its a great bargain.
    Dual core Pentiums generally start around the 400 euro mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,036 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Igb of ram will run vista fine. If you want better multitasking performance or to play some games more memory would help. Its a basic laptop fine for most tasks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

jayteecork wrote: »

Nothing wrong with Pentium dual core, 1gb ram could be picked up for an extremely low price and Intel X3100 is as powerful as Nvidia 6100 or Radeon X200 class, i.e perfect for day to day use, older games and the like. I've played Warhammer 40K Dawn of War, Call of Duty United Offensive, Unreal Tournament 2004, Far Cry and similar games on the X3100 fine. Don''t see a problem - or were you expecting a powerhouse for 250 euro.

Factor in the ram and you'd have a machine with dual core, 2gb ram for 280 euro brand new - can't argue much with that to be honest. Netbook of the same price with Intel Atom is actually much slower.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 stephendm

Hmmm..

It's an ok price I suppose for that spec but the spec is rubbish. It'd be running antivirus, maybe MS Office 2007, IE7/8 or Firefox with a few tabs open, not to mention Vista itself ... it would completly **** itself! Even with extra ram. The processor is cack the integrated graphics ...double-cack! It's already obsolete. Anyone who buys that will no doubt regret it in 2 months I reckon.
    Thanks op for the post all the same. I likes potential bargains regardless :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

thats a good deal for 250

1gb of ram is grand as long as ou dont go to town with apps

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

The price is very good for a laptop of that spec, especially considering that the X3100 is far better than the GMA950 graphics core in practically all netbooks.

Does anybody know if the laptop is available in any of the south side Dublin stores?

• Advertisement

Anyone want to hazard a guess as to how it would cope with running Outlook Express, IE, Firefox, Photoshop, notepad and an ftp program all at the same time?

Advertisement