Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is the weirdest thing you ever saw whilst out driving?

Options
  • 01-07-2009 4:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭

Whats the weirdest thing you ever saw whilst out driving. I once saw a man walking stark naked on the road on my way to work. It was raining as well
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

A double decker bus pulled over on the M6 at night, with what looked like a hen party, all dropping trou and urinating in the hard shoulder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭wellbutty

A big dog sitting on a mans lap, him teaching it how to drive in Lemybrien on the N25 last year...saw the paws on the steering wheel :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

a naked woman doing a handstand whilst being photod.....woke me up early in the morning I can tell you

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭jmkennedyie

A very low-level white blimp in heavy fog reading the N4 sign just east of Lucan.

Some others, not so weird:
    A queue of aircraft lining up over the Irish Sea, Dublin City Centre, West Dublin for easterly approach to Dublin Airport. Thing was, could see them from Longford...became clear what they were driving to Dublin.

The Milky Way. From hard shoulder on Achill Island. Car parked for 20 mins so eyes adjusted. Sky white with stars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

The weirdest thing I eve saw was a 6 car 8100 Class EMU set being pulled by a 141 class loco. I followed this spectacular from Killiney to Dalkey on my bike but failed to get a decent snapshot. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,383 ✭✭✭cml387

Outside Ireland,if that counts.
    In Florence, a man on his moped,carrying four bags of concrete..and his young son.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Irish and Proud

Robbo wrote: »
    A double decker bus pulled over on the M6 at night, with what looked like a hen party, all dropping trou and urinating in the hard shoulder.

Disgusting louts! :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Irish and Proud

Whats the weirdest thing you ever saw whilst out driving. I once saw a man walking stark naked on the road on my way to work. It was raining as well

...I don't know, but the guy might have mental health issues - especially given the weather conditions (hence not a social statement IMO). Just hope he wasn't hurt - that's the main thing...

Regards!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Aidan1

As someone who spent a lot of time driving tractors, being able to see down into cars opens up a whole different world of strange.

Leaving aside the obvious stuff, like people giving their driver a little manual relief (quite common), and the car full of naked people (well, there were four), the Opel Vectra that passed me outside Kilcullen with a dead deer in the back seat is up there for me. Also, a note for couples intending on either using their car or 'taking it outside'' - find better and more discreet locations please. There is only so much my young eyes can take.

Outside of that, the old woman driving repeatedly the wrong way around the roundabout in Midleton, while waving gleefully at everyone, added a little something.

Back in the early 80ies i seen a motorcycle Garda giving a lift to another along the canals, the pillion was holding his hat in place with one hand while holding on to the saddle for support with the other. The bike, a CX 500 wasn't even designed to carry passengers. Pity we didn't have cam phones back then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

I saw the luas in the Glen of the Downs.
    on the back of a truck geting delivered to Dublin.

The Army in their APC's with lads heads sticking out through a hole in the roof and goggles on him, very mad max'ish looking

seen a hiAce do a double somersault on the old N4 near the Downs, a load of tyres flung out the back ad the van ended on it's side, driver and passenger got out unhurt...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭rednik

Thought I was going to be rear ended on the Naas Road a few months back. While stopped at traffic lights I looked in the mirror and saw white van man jamming on with one hand stuck up his nose and the other on his mobile. I still can't figure out what he was using to control the steering wheel.:eek::eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Aidan1

Actually, another one - I saw a hare chasing a flock of sheep in Wicklow early one morning. Both the hare and sheep looked a little confused.

And I saw an old Ford D series rigid truck loaded (stopped, indicator on, waiting to turn right) with straw get hit from behind by a loaded F10 Volvo artic travelling at speed. Ford rolled the full 360 degrees, Volvo ended up in field minus it's front axle, both were write offs. Volvo driver had two broken legs, Ford driver was a little shook up.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,308 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Off-topic stuff deleted.

Cycling home one day, I saw a baby elephant come out of a church.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 sddaly

Saw a people carrier on the M7 on Monday with an A4 sheet stuck to the back window saying ‘Sorry indicators broken’ and a big smiley face...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭pjbrady1

Mother driving in to Swinford once. One of those situations where the guy thumbing the lift she knew who he was n knew his family, but he didn't know who we were. The Swinford side of Cloongalain Bridge there he was a tall, weathered man standing thumbing a lift with a large axe in his hand. Pull over to let him in, first thing he says "I'v been there a while, not many people would give a lift to a man with an axe in his hand."

I once saw a horse drawn sulkie on the M50.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

Driving along Corks South Ring road, plodding along in the slow lane was a (very grumpy looking) donkey pulling an old cart.

I've also seen a drunk man passed out on the ground in 8am traffic coming into the city. In the middle of the road.

Also, going to work one morning in Galway city was surreal. It was last year and was really really icy out. It was the only day it was icy and it had come suddenly - the road was wet and black ice everywhere. I did my usual "walk around the tar driveway and if I slip myself then I have to drive carefully".

Other people didnt do that and it was quite weird going to work seeing accidents EVERYWHERE. It was like everyone had fallen asleep at the wheel, there were cars in walls, roads everywhere were blocked due to cars hitting each other.

In hindsight it was really dangerous, but really cool and strange at the same time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

I saw a fat, naked old man climb out of the Lough in Cork at 6am one June morning two years ago as I was driving by.

Another time I saw a man run across the South Ring Road on the approach to the Jack Lynch Tunnel. He just emerged from the median hedge and sprinted across the dual carriageway.

I saw a few hares up by Cullahill last April. They were huge and just sat in the middle of the road for ages.

Saw a cat stalking a bird on the main road into Kilrush, it held up traffic both sides.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭TAPlank

Being overtaken by two elephants when driving in heavy traffic through Sligo. They were from a Circus and being brought around the town for publicity purposes.

No, I was not elephants.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭ttm

A guy driving a Ford Transit Luton Box playing the flute while stuck in slow moving traffic, both hands were on the flute and the traffic was moving at about 25mph, I'm not sure I didn't see sheet music spread out across the stearing wheel either that or he was reading the paper at the same time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Maddison

As Ive posted in another thread, I had my son(aged 4 at the time) and his cousin of the same age...It was about 4 in the afternoon & came to the junction of ballymun road/collins ave and up pulls a people carrier besides us & some disgusting b*tch thought It would be appropraite to drop her trousers, knickers n all and stick her arse up to the window. I was enraged cause the lights were red & I couldnt even drive off to avoid the kids seeing it....I took their reg & went to the garda station and encouranged by a few on the parenting forum I didnt give up til I got an apology. If I had of been on my own in the car I would have prob laughed but considering I had kids on board I didnt find it funny in the least

• Registered Users Posts: 8,781 ✭✭✭SeanW

By far the weirdest thing I ever saw, one day I was picking my mother up from the train station, and she told me there was some commotion on the train, a mixed ethnicity couple (black man, native woman and child in a stroller) were having a big argument and the man was losing the rag. She warned me to watch out for him, I didn't pay any heed to it as I figured I'd be driving immediately away. But I made a very brief delay getting out of there and by the time I had got onto the main road, yer man was walking down the same road and (ignoring the footpath) pushing the stroller in the traffic lane by the side of the parked cars. I used the horn and this proved to be a mistake, the man simply moved out to the centre of the road, and I had to follow behind this guy for 400m odd with him pushing the baby carriage down the white centreline of the street.
    :eek:

Haven't seen anything this crazy before or since.

ttm wrote: »
    A guy driving a Ford Transit Luton Box playing the flute while stuck in slow moving traffic, both hands were on the flute and the traffic was moving at about 25mph, I'm not sure I didn't see sheet music spread out across the stearing wheel either that or he was reading the paper at the same time.
    Playing with his flute. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

A taxi driver told me he saw two fellas by the side of the Malahide Road near Darndale painting a horse blue at 5 in the morning...

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,026 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

wasnt in ireland so i dno if it counts.

was in the seychelles, and to cope with the rainy season when it comes they have huge storm drains along the side of all the roads with no cover. Was driving home with some friends one night and saw 2 tourists walking along the road ahead of us. I looked away for a sec to change the radio or something and when i looked back they were gone. I stopped the car and got out. It was 2 germans. They were completely pissed and the two of em were just lying there laughing. They wouldnt take any help so we just left em. Laughed about it the whole way back ha

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

on the back roads of leixlip a few years back a stag leapt a 10 foot hedge and stopped on the road, looked me dead in the eye and bounded on over the other side.ive never seen a deer that big, as big as a horse.i didnt think we had them that big here to be honest.looked like the jaegermeister stag.absolutely beautiful creature.

in arizona rattlesnakes on the road.scary things!

in tijuana in mexico coming back over the US border, the thousands of people all ages from healthy to on the verge of death begging and trying to sell the most random things for a few bob.it was a humbling experience and i dont take for granted how lucky we are after seeing it.i rolled down the window and gave a granny with a baby 20 dollars because i felt so bad.we were with americans who said these people are from all over central and south america and have gave up everything to get to there and be turned away from the US. they have nowhere to go so they stay in tijuana.ive never seen poverty like it-very sad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭ttm

Playing with his flute. :eek:

I have no reason to believe it belonged to anyone else :p

I did see something today that I thought was a little stange, and I'm sure someone will tell me if it was legal or not, a motor bike towing a 2 wheel trailer with another motor bike on it. My first thought was the biker was towing a spare in case the one he was riding broke down :confused:

• Advertisement

ttm wrote: »
    I have no reason to believe it belonged to anyone else :p

I did see something today that I thought was a little stange, and I'm sure someone will tell me if it was legal or not, a motor bike towing a 2 wheel trailer with another motor bike on it. My first thought was the biker was towing a spare in case the one he was riding broke down :confused:
    I once brought a scooter on a sidecar chassis to the Limerick Bike show. :)
    No laws suggesting you cant take a bike on a bike trailer or sidecar

Advertisement