Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

REAL COLLEGE

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭alan4cult

naasface wrote: »
    i tried calculating how much money id need every week (mon-fri) in college. i thought i was being really cheap but it came to €111!!
    it was
    FOOD- €3,€3,€3,€3,€3 (3 euro a day)
    DRINK-€18 for mon, €18 wed, €18 thurs (that's a naggin,mixer and 2 drinks in the club/pub)
    TRAVEL- €6 for bus home on friday, walking otherwise
    CIGS- €9 for a 20 box on monday and again €9 on thurs
    GOING OUT- €6,€6,€6 entry to a club three nights a week

total budget - €111

any tips on cutting back? or does that sound like cutting it fine already?
    Quit the fags because they're a fvcking joke at that price

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Hamiltonion

Theres no way in hell you'll go out 3 nites a week mate, maybe in freshers week. I'd say one nite a wk max and maybe a pub evening too. Even then most people dont find themselves going out EVERY week.
    Oh and get taste for rolling tobacco ffs, 12.5g Drum is E4.50, I'd get 30-40 fags out of that, ie 1/4 of the price

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Gear9992

alan4cult wrote: »
    Quit the fags because they're a fvcking joke at that price

nah, quit the food, then you can smoke twice as much, since you're gonna die anyway :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

t0mm wrote: »
    Dublin:

Monday nights- Bondi, €10 in, €2 all drinks

Tuesday- CitiBar, €10 in, €2 all drink

Wednesday- Crawdaddy, €6 in, pints €3, VK ice €2, some other promo deals

Thurs- Button Factory, €6 in, similar deals to Crawdaddy

There are loads of other clubs with loads of other deals, these are just the ones that come to mind now.

Unfortunately the Button Factor only has their thursday night promo for the summer :(

Antics in Crawdaddy is good on a Wednesday night, only €5 in and loadsa drink promos, good crowd too.

Might wanna have a read of this thread: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055476918 before getting too excited about moving out of home ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭yeah-boy

ayapatrick why dont u buy a litre bottle of spirits for the week or til it runs out instead of naggins ??? Theres sum solid saving without compromise

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭ayapatrick

yeah-boy wrote: »
    ayapatrick why dont u buy a litre bottle of spirits for the week or til it runs out instead of naggins ??? Theres sum solid saving without compromise

dont drink

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭kwestfan08

Finished first year this year and tbh when you go to college bugeting goes out the window. On paper its easy to say you'll have only one or two drinks in a club but that can easily turn into four or five :p. Id advise students to have a slush fund of about 20 quid to cover any unforseen things they havent bugeted for.

Also dont waste money buying food in the likes of londis or centra etc...its a massive rip off. Lidl ftw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds

Lidl...Aldi...bulkbuy or cook.
    Cut out the fags.
    Few things you might not have budgeted for there, getting sick, college stuff, contaception...just a thought.

For lunch: €1.83 chicken roll from Londis. Mmmm yes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Piste wrote: »
    damn you, now I have to walk to the Londis across the road to get one :pac:

I looove those rolls

They're so amazing. And you get TWO other fillings!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭GA361

Piste wrote: »

Jaysus . . . Who says Dublin is more expensive than down the country.

It costs €4 for one in Topaz.But in all fairness there bleedin' delicious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭Secoundrow

It costs €4 for one in Topaz.But in all fairness there bleedin' delicious.

Umm I love topaz chicken wraps but feckin €4.25 Rip off:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Aldito

Lidl...Aldi...bulkbuy or cook.
    Cut out the fags.
    Few things you might not have budgeted for there, getting sick, college stuff, contaception...just a thought.

Most student unions give out free jonnies, just have to ask them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭ya-ba-da-ba-doo

how much is everyone scabbin off the parents each week?

presumin no food costs (that you can cook at home), would 60 euro a week do the job yeah? thats bout 20 on drink, 15 on transport, 15 on food you'd buy out and about... 10 on more drink?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭discostick12

I be still living at home as there is no way I be able to afford to move out!!
    All I'm looking forward to is the nights out and the once in a lifetime experience!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭madmac187

I can tell ye all one thing. I have finished college in Waterford. Did work placement in Dublin and got paid for 8 months working 14 hour days. So I will tell ye all this. I'm going back to college this time to Belfast. Drink promos £2 awhh yeah. Waterford is a rob no student concessions. Oh and by the way when you do go out I always drink more than 3. Living on food of €30 a week is defo possible. By the way I'm 22 not 42.

BUt you wont be feeling too energetic after. In first year, the year of the pound I lived on a tener of food, rent of 50 and drank 45. Bottles of labat ice, nagans and lots of tattoe sandwiches on the offers in tescos. Walk don't taxi if you can better off sobber up and healthy. That was going out
    3 nights a week.:)

Anyways Anyone going to Queens in belfast?

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭not bakunin

i'm just back from a month long cycle to italy with two friends, and i feel that it was a useful lesson in self support.
    the enormous supermarches on the continent are ridiculously cheap, and practially pay you to take their cheap mass-produced crap......we used to get 12 own brand yoghurts in carrefour everyday for e1.12, and a half kilo of jam for 60cent.

also, 8 slices of ham for 1.50 and 2 litres of orange juice for 88cent.
    for afters, a kilo, yes a kilo, of biscuits for 1.20.

in switzerland, we used to eat a kilo of slow energy releasing muesli for 1.80 swiss francs, about e1.50 i think, with bread and other cheap delights, this could be a 2000kcal breakfast!

and we did 2300km over the alps on this.

nectarines, tinned fish, cheese and bread also featured prominently, along with bottles of normandy cider at 75cent a bottle or loire valley wine at e2. mmm. i did miss cooked meat though.........however, overall, i dont think i spent much more than e12 a day including campsites...

so i hope college can be somewhat similar, and i look forward to checking out what affordable delights that irish supermarkets may offer.
    however, i get the feeling that the 12 yoghurts at 1.12 willnot be beaten.....

I'm just back from Barcelona where a stick of bread was 79c and a carton of Wine was €1.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭not bakunin

79c for the bread is pricy by continental standards!

average about 45cent in most french supermarches....

and yeah, the cartons of wine are cheaper, but it was too much of a compromise on taste for me.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,372 Mod ✭✭✭✭andrew

Judging by the last page of this thread, REAL COLLEGE....is entirely about bargain hunting for food and drink.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭docdolittle

andrew wrote: »
    Judging by the last page of this thread, REAL COLLEGE....is entirely about bargain hunting for food and drink.
    Pretty much... :P Although.. the odd all you can eat does some good every once and a while :P €8 and your stuffed! If you want the best bargain for food, you're just gonna have to make all your lunches at home though...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,372 Mod ✭✭✭✭andrew

Pretty much... :P Although.. the odd all you can eat does some good every once and a while :P €8 and your stuffed! If you want the best bargain for food, you're just gonna have to make all your lunches at home though...

Yeah thats what my mum I did this year. Town has a surprising lack of cheap places to get lunch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Aldito

andrew wrote: »
    Town has a surprising lack of cheap places to get lunch.

Ah here, €1.99 chicken fillet roll in centra as well as €1 chips there, the BOGOF or free chips and drinks vouchers you constantly get in Burger King, M&S €2.75 meal deal, Londis €1.79 for a chicken roll/ BLT/ Ham/ Turkey Roll.
    Town's savage for food

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Bonj15

Just after finishing my 1st year of college in Limerick so i said that i would educate ye on my expierence!

Firstly to those thinking about whether to move away r not i would say without a doubt do move..I live roughly 40mins from the college but when u include traffic it was 1hour and 10mins both ways so i decided to move in.

Because i was one of a few that moved in from my school i knew nobody in my student village. But i quickly hung out with my roommtes friends and their friends etc. Great way to make friends. In first few lectures introduce yourself to as man people as u can. I know its not easy but i was shy before and ur confidence as a person increases and ppl will start to enjoy being with you.

Im sure ur sick of hearin ppl say join clubs and socs but their a great way to meet people. As a Hurler i straight away joined the hurling team and met loads of ppl there. I also joined badminton for the laugh and i went once only. That was because i met like 20 people on my first night there and i only joined to meet new ppl! Also any house parties nearby u see in first few weeks that u know that are being attended mostly by 1st years just walk in. Nobody will say anything and again u can meet loads of people.

Budgeting is tough but if u plan carefully ul be grand. Im not saying plan what your gonna buy but know the weeks ul spend the most money e.g. for me it was orientation week, freshers week, rag week, Last week of semester 1 and 2 and first week back after xmas. I would also say buy a money box or even put loose change in a glass e.eg 20c, 50c 1€. Silly as it looks its great for taxis so u dont have to break notes or even putting away money for rag week.

Cooking is grand. Just know how to cook roughly 5 things. Like A pizza u just have 2 put into an oven and its done after a while..and they are always on special offer somewhere. One dish i would recommened knowing how to cook is stir frys and buy a cheap wok for a tenner . Lovely and Healthy, and u can add whatever u like to it.

The nightlife is great in Limerick esp on a Tues and Thurs. Icon and mollies are free (icon just tuesday) and u can get taxis from as little as 2€ each. BTW try and fill a taxi to the last and be friendly to driver cos he might charge less..I always ask Busy tonight hahaha!!

The last yr was def the best year of my life i made over 100 new friends and kept loads of old ones too. Moving out made me more independant nd really changed me as a person. Even an old friend who saw me lately in a nightclub said de change was unbeliveable. She said before i would be shy and just talk to ppl i knew really well. Now im enjoying myself more and my ppl skills have improved. Im far more confident and that is down to fending for yourself as at the start of the year u can decide to make friends for life from day one or else just know people for the year and once u finish college forget about them.

Remember these days are the best of your life so make the most of them
    and give urself every advantage possible to enjoy them!

Oh Ya and Best of luck tomorrow!! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭johnmct77

Bonj15 wrote: »
    Just after finishing my 1st year of college in Limerick so i said that i would educate ye on my expierence!

Firstly to those thinking about whether to move away r not i would say without a doubt do move..I live roughly 40mins from the college but when u include traffic it was 1hour and 10mins both ways so i decided to move in.

Because i was one of a few that moved in from my school i knew nobody in my student village. But i quickly hung out with my roommtes friends and their friends etc. Great way to make friends. In first few lectures introduce yourself to as man people as u can. I know its not easy but i was shy before and ur confidence as a person increases and ppl will start to enjoy being with you.

Im sure ur sick of hearin ppl say join clubs and socs but their a great way to meet people. As a Hurler i straight away joined the hurling team and met loads of ppl there. I also joined badminton for the laugh and i went once only. That was because i met like 20 people on my first night there and i only joined to meet new ppl! Also any house parties nearby u see in first few weeks that u know that are being attended mostly by 1st years just walk in. Nobody will say anything and again u can meet loads of people.

Budgeting is tough but if u plan carefully ul be grand. Im not saying plan what your gonna buy but know the weeks ul spend the most money e.g. for me it was orientation week, freshers week, rag week, Last week of semester 1 and 2 and first week back after xmas. I would also say buy a money box or even put loose change in a glass e.eg 20c, 50c 1€. Silly as it looks its great for taxis so u dont have to break notes or even putting away money for rag week.

Cooking is grand. Just know how to cook roughly 5 things. Like A pizza u just have 2 put into an oven and its done after a while..and they are always on special offer somewhere. One dish i would recommened knowing how to cook is stir frys and buy a cheap wok for a tenner . Lovely and Healthy, and u can add whatever u like to it.

The nightlife is great in Limerick esp on a Tues and Thurs. Icon and mollies are free (icon just tuesday) and u can get taxis from as little as 2€ each. BTW try and fill a taxi to the last and be friendly to driver cos he might charge less..I always ask Busy tonight hahaha!!

The last yr was def the best year of my life i made over 100 new friends and kept loads of old ones too. Moving out made me more independant nd really changed me as a person. Even an old friend who saw me lately in a nightclub said de change was unbeliveable. She said before i would be shy and just talk to ppl i knew really well. Now im enjoying myself more and my ppl skills have improved. Im far more confident and that is down to fending for yourself as at the start of the year u can decide to make friends for life from day one or else just know people for the year and once u finish college forget about them.

Remember these days are the best of your life so make the most of them
    and give urself every advantage possible to enjoy them!

Oh Ya and Best of luck tomorrow!! ;)

too true, i completely changed as a person and most people do! before
    i was some what shy now totally outgoing! remember there is many nervous and anxious 1st years and most (if not all) are goin 2 be fish out of water !:D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,094 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

My real dilemma is home Vs away and I think theres pros and cons to both. I know ive got another while to decide but my mind keeps changing. Im pretty sure I want to do business but just where?

Advertisement