Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Borde-Guth-Vilenkin theorem...

Options
  • 30-06-2009 10:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,026 ✭✭✭

Hello, just wondering if anyone has heard of the Borde-Guth-Vilenkin theorem?

The paper is available here: http://arxiv.org/abs/gr-qc/0110012

and William Lane Craig discusses it here:

http://www.reasonablefaith.org/site/News2?page=NewsArticle&id=6115

If science could definitively prove that all matter/universe(s) had a beginning, would that affect your stance on theism/deism?

Regards,
    Noel.

P.S. I wondering if Godel's incompleteness theorem has similar implications?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭pts

Not really, since it would imply that God has to have a beginning too.
    I've often heard that "God doesn't require a beginning, he (it?) was always there" however if you take that to its logical conclusion it doesn't make sense. Why would you be willing to say that a God can appear from nowhere, but matter can not? You would be making an exception to the rule for an extremely complex being (God) but not willing to make an exception for a much less complex thing like matter.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

kelly1 wrote: »
    If science could definitively prove that all matter/universe(s) had a beginning, would that affect your stance on theism/deism?
    I can certainly see how such a proof might spark interest in Deism, but I can't see how it would validate any one of hundreds of defined human religions.

The problem theistic religion has is not that they can't yet prove the universe has a beginning, it's that the stories that they are composed of are frankly crackers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

Dades wrote: »
    The problem theistic religion has is not that they can't yet prove the universe has a beginning, it's that the stories that they are composed of are frankly crackers.
    amen

• Registered Users Posts: 5,026 ✭✭✭kelly1

pts wrote: »
    Not really, since it would imply that God has to have a beginning too.
    Why? Nobody is saying that God is made of physical matter. The theorem applies to physical matter.
    I've often heard that "God doesn't require a beginning, he (it?) was always there" however if you take that to its logical conclusion it doesn't make sense. Why would you be willing to say that a God can appear from nowhere, but matter can not? You would be making an exception to the rule for an extremely complex being (God) but not willing to make an exception for a much less complex thing like matter.
    Theologians don't claim that God appeared from nowhere. They claim that God is eternal and exists outside of time and that God created time.

If the entire universe (all matter) had a beginning i.e. it was created, then something must have created it. Something cannot emerge from nothing. So it's reasonable to ask who or what created the universe.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

No. The idea of a creator god as described by christians fails because of basic logic, not science.
    I wondering if Godel's incompleteness theorem has similar implications?
    Gödel's Incompleteness Theorem says that if you have a formal theory which supports certain basic arithmetic operations, there exist statements which are true within the system, but not provable within the system. Or as Gödel himself said:
    For every ω-consistent recursive class κ of forumulae, there are recursive class signs r, such that neither v Gen r nor Neg(v Gen r) belongs to Flg(κ), where v is the free variable of r.
    Unless you believe that the christian god is a formal system which supports basic arithmetic, I don't immediately see how he would tie in here.

• Advertisement

Dades wrote: »
    I can certainly see how such a proof might spark interest in Deism, but I can't see how it would validate any one of hundreds of defined human religions.

The problem theistic religion has is not that they can't yet prove the universe has a beginning, it's that the stories that they are composed of are frankly crackers.[/QUOTE]
    Leaving the nature of God aside, doesn't the necessary existence of a Creator raise the question of what happens to us when we die?

Something cannot emerge from nothing. So it's reasonable to ask who or what created the universe.
    If something cannot emerge from nothing, then what created the christian god?

doesn't the necessary existence of a Creator raise the question of what happens to us when we die?
    No, they're completely unrelated topics.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭CerebralCortex

Leaving the nature of God aside, doesn't the necessary existence of a Creator raise the question of what happens to us when we die?

Necessary existence of a Creator? Big jump there Noel. Also there is no question about what happens when we die scientists and the public alike know what happens when we die and its called being dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭toiletduck

No, I really don't see the connection :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭pts

Let's play a bit with your quotes:
    They claim that God is eternal and exists outside of time and that God created time.

Then we've got
    Something cannot emerge from nothing.

Can you not see that you've created two rules. One rule, which applies to everything except "God" is that "nothing can come from nothing" (name the Shakespeare Quote :D)

But then there is the 2nd rule, which applies to God, which says he (it?) can come from nothing. If you are going to argue that God has existed forever I would be curious to why God can exist forever but some kind of primeval matter can not.

robindch wrote: »
    No. The idea of a creator god as described by christians fails because of basic logic, not science.
    Robin, I didn't mention Christianity. If the universe was created, then don't you agree it must have a creator. And if the universe has a creator, then the validity of atheism must come under scrutiny.
    Gödel's Incompleteness Theorem says that if you have a formal theory which supports certain basic arithmetic operations, there exist statements which are true within the system, but not provable within the system. Or as Gödel himself said:Unless you believe that the christian god is a formal system which supports basic arithmetic, I don't immediately see how he would tie in here.
    I brought this up because we are inside the system trying to find a theory of everything and according to Godel, it sounds like we will always have unprovable theories. So maybe God (who is outside the system) is the missing factor? Anyways, I shouldn't have brought this up, it's distracting from the discussion at hand.
    If something cannot emerge from nothing, then what created the christian god?
    If the Christian God were created, then he's still inside the created system and can't be the cause of all that exists.

Since God isn't physical matter and isn't composed of any parts (i.e. entirely simple), what's to prevent Him being eternal and the ultimate source of all that exists?

...Since God isn't physical matter and isn't composed of any parts (i.e. entirely simple), what's to prevent Him being eternal and the ultimate source of all that exists?

Because I can still ask the question why?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Oh my God Noel not this again. How many times are we going to do this?

The fact that the universe has a beginning in no way supports the existence of God. Your entire argument is based on the unsustainable assertion "Something can't come from nothing", which when contemplating the nature of space-time is a big assumption.

And even if we accepted this assumption for the sake of argument, it still in no way points towards a sentient, loving, all-powerful entity. All that it would lead to is the conclusion that X caused the universe, where X is anything that is timeless.

Necessary existence of a Creator? Big jump there Noel.
    If the universe had a beginning, then it was created. Is that not so? If it was created, the it must have had a creator because something cannot come out of nothing. For an atheist to claim that the universe emerged our of nothing, smacks of hypocrisy.
    toiletduck wrote: »
    No, I really don't see the connection :confused:
    Don't you? I don't see how the creator can be a physical being because matter can't create more matter from itself. So we must, to my mind, assume that the creator is made of a non-physical substance.
    Can you not see that you've created two rules. One rule, which applies to everything except "God" is that "nothing can come from nothing" (name the Shakespeare Quote :D)

But then there is the 2nd rule, which applies to God, which says he (it?) can come from nothing. If you are going to argue that God has existed forever I would be curious to why God can exist forever but some kind of primeval matter can not.
    What I'm saying is that everything which begins to exist must have a cause. I'm also saying that God never had a beginning and has no need of a cause. And since God has no "parts", nothing needed to come together to form Him.

Robin, I didn't mention Christianity. If the universe was created, then don't you agree it must have a creator. And if the universe has a creator, then the validity of atheism must come under scrutiny.
    Not at all. The big bang could have arisen from within another universe (in fact, many physicists believe this is a simplistic understanding of what might have happened). And so on back. No need for any deities.
    I brought this up because we are inside the system trying to find a theory of everything and according to Godel, it sounds like we will always have unprovable theories.
    Gödel was talking about formal mathematical systems, not about god, and as I said above, unless you believe that the universe is a formal mathematical system which supports arithmetic, his interesting results have nothing whatsoever to do with the universe we live in.
    Since God isn't physical matter and isn't composed of any parts (i.e. entirely simple), what's to prevent Him being eternal and the ultimate source of all that exists?
    You're certainly free to propose a deity which is not bound by your "something cannot come from nothing" rule. However, within gentlemanly debate, if you're going to permit yourself an exception, then you can't stop others from using the same exception. See the first sentence in this post.

For an atheist to claim that the universe emerged our of nothing, smacks of hypocrisy.
    Atheists do not make this claim. And despite pointing this out many times, religious people seem unable to remember it. Weird but true!
    If the universe had a beginning, then it was created. Is that not so?
    No, it certainly isn't. See the first sentence of my previous post.

If the universe had a beginning, then it was created. Is that not so? If it was created, the it must have had a creator because something cannot come out of nothing. For an atheist to claim that the universe emerged our of nothing, smacks of hypocrisy.....

Oh yes how silly of me I forgot. It does clearly state in the hallowed Book of Atheism chapter 2 verse 10: The Universe emerged out of nothing, believe it!
    :pac:

Zillah wrote: »
    Oh my God Noel not this again. How many times are we going to do this?
    Don't get involved if you don't want to. You're free to ingore this thread.
    The fact that the universe has a beginning in no way supports the existence of God. Your entire argument is based on the unsustainable assertion "Something can't come from nothing", which when contemplating the nature of space-time is a big assumption.
    Do you accept therefore that the universe/spacetime could have spontaneously popped into existence where nothing at all existed beforehand? How likely is that? Isn't creation by something far more likely?
    And even if we accepted this assumption for the sake of argument, it still in no way points towards a sentient, loving, all-powerful entity. All that it would lead to is the conclusion that X caused the universe, where X is anything that is timeless.
    I think X would have to sentient and all-powerful, don't you?

Not at all. The big bang could have arisen from within another universe (in fact, many physicists believe this is a simplistic understanding of what might have happened). And so on back. No need for any deities.
    But the BGV theorem rules out any such prior universes.

Quote from Vilenkin's book:
    It is said that an argument is what convinces reasonable men and a proof is what it takes to convince even an unreasonable man. With the proof now in place, cosmologists can no longer hide behind the possibility of a past-eternal universe. There is no escape, they have to face the problem of a cosmic beginning (Many Worlds in One [New York: Hill and Wang, 2006], p.176).
    Atheists do not make this claim.
    Some do Robin. And the BGV theorem rules out the eternal universe/successive universes/multiverse option. Do you reject the BGV theorem?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭togster

Do you accept therefore that the universe/spacetime could have spontaneously popped into existence where nothing at all existed beforehand? How likely is that? Isn't creation by something far more likely?

neither one is more likely than the other. Right?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭20goto10

it still doesn't change the fact that everything in the universe can be explained intrinsically. You do not need an external force in order to explain the stars, planets and life or anything else in the cosmos.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Don't get involved if you don't want to. You're free to ingore this thread.

Well it's just annoying considering that I've explained all of this in great detail in the past.

I don't know, you don't know, we don't know anything about the nature of the non-before timelessness that was pre-big bang. Let's not make shit up, shall we Noel?

Pfffbhwwahahaha why? Why not some timeless super particle that creates big bangs? Why on earth would it need to be an intelligence? And surely very powerful would suffice, rather than all powerful?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭20goto10

Saying the universe has a begining is not the same as saying it popped into existence from nothing. It simply suggests that there is something external. It doesn't have to be a God.

the fact is nobody knows. Saying God did it explains nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,247 ✭✭✭stevejazzx

This makes painful reading.

Even if there is a God, introduing him at this point only makes the eqaution more difficult as his presence casues more questions than it answers.

atheism_motivational_poster_2.jpg

atheismlawl.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭fitz0

And the BGV theorem rules out the eternal universe/successive universes/multiverse option.

Let me get this straight, you accept that, in line with the BGV theorem, that eternal/successive universes/multiverse are all impossible but you willingly believe in heavan and hell? How can you possibly reconcile that?

Do you accept therefore that the universe/spacetime could have spontaneously popped into existence where nothing at all existed beforehand?
    Happens all the time. That's what particle accelerators study.
    How likely is that? Isn't creation by something far more likely?
    Only if you accept your "something cannot come from nothing" rule which you don't apply to yourself. See my post above.
    But the BGV theorem rules out any such prior universes. And the BGV theorem rules out the eternal universe/successive universes/multiverse option. Do you reject the BGV theorem?
    I have no opinion on it, since I don't understand it. If a suitably-qualified physicist other than the author tells me that this is a reasonable point of view, then I've no doubt that I'll probably accept what's said. But until cosmologists settle down with a single, well-supported theory of what happened before the big bang, I'm not likely to invest much time or effort in understanding the luxuriant variety of theories currently on offer. I have a job and a kid too and other technical stuff to keep up to date with.

And even if BGV does show that the universe arose out of nothing. Well, fair enough. That means that god doesn't exist.

Which seems a fair enough conclusion to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

If the universe had a beginning, then it was created. Is that not so? If it was created, the it must have had a creator because something cannot come out of nothing. For an atheist to claim that the universe emerged our of nothing, smacks of hypocrisy.

Sand dunes are created. Who is their creator?

The vast majority of atheists do not say that the universe came from nothing, when asked they'll mostly say "I don't know". You're the only one saying something came from nothing, your god

Also, if your creator is "something" and something cannot come from nothing, you might want to update your statement to "only one thing can come from nothing"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭togster

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    Sand dunes are created. Who is their creator?

The wind.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

togster wrote: »
    The wind.

Is the wind sentient and all-powerful, or is it a natural process that is capable of creating something that does not require an all-powerful intelligence?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

20goto10 wrote: »
    Saying the universe has a begining is not the same as saying it popped into existence from nothing. It simply suggests that there is something external. It doesn't have to be a God.

the fact is nobody knows. Saying God did it explains nothing.

Er... /thread?

Advertisement