Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do you feed your cat?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭ladystrange

Our 3 will only eat Felix, either 'as good as it looks' or 'marinades'. They were eating wiskas/lidl/supervalu brand till I made the mistake of buying the Felix for a wee change, they wont look at anything else since!! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭maryxyz

Does anyone else find these really messy to use and impossible to empty completely, consequently the old food in them stinks in the bin ? ! ! !

Why don't manufacturers make them a better shape, or supply a pouch-emptying device in the pack - something to fit over the pouch & squeeze it empty ! ! !

Little tins like Sheba brand are better as they're easier to wash & can go in the paper & metal bin, but one is never enough for our cat & they're more expensive !

Maryxyz

• Closed Accounts Posts: 476 ✭✭Blueprint

maryxyz wrote: »
    Does anyone else find these really messy to use and impossible to empty completely, consequently the old food in them stinks in the bin ? ! ! !

Why don't manufacturers make them a better shape, or supply a pouch-emptying device in the pack - something to fit over the pouch & squeeze it empty ! ! !

Little tins like Sheba brand are better as they're easier to wash & can go in the paper & metal bin, but one is never enough for our cat & they're more expensive !

Maryxyz

Buy the Bozita tetra packs from Zooplus. I've got a built in cleaning machine for them in the shape of my dog...

thanks Blueprint - where would I get Bozita catfood - I've never seen it

Maryxyz

thanks Blueprint - where would I get Bozita catfood - I've never seen it

Maryxyz

I think that www.zooplus.ie are the only ones who have them, you have to order in bulk, but the ingredients are much better than any of the pouches you can buy in the shop. Problem is that the packs are 375g each, so if you only have the one cat and it's fussy, it might not like to eat it the second day. The carton folds up again after you open it though, so it's quite good that way.

• Advertisement

thanks, Blueprint, that's an interesting website !

Maryxyz

• Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭GigaByte

My 2 cats Izzy and Cleo are the fussiest eaters in the cat world!!

The only thing they will eat is the Whiskas Fisherman's choice in Jelly, but... they will only eat the Prawns, Whitefish and the Salmon (just) pouches. No matter how hungry they are they won't eat the Tuna ones???

I also by the 5 euro’s bags of prawns from lidls to mix in with their food. This helps them eat the Salmon pouches. At least Izzy love's the Whiskas biscuits but Cloe hardley touches them.

I've a cupboard full of Tuna pouches!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭rediguana

Purina. Cat looks great and is never ill. Cat is reluctant to eat anything else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭waraf

This stuff. The ingredients are "meat and animal by-products, 85% beef 10% chicken and 5% rabbit, minerals" so I reckon it's quite a bit better for them than whiskas (which only has 4% meat).

Plus, it's a lot cheaper than whiskas at 38 cents per 100g as opposed to nearly a euro per 100g whiskas pouch. I buy 50 euro worth of food at a time and delivery is then free.

The kittens love it and their coats are shiny. I used to feed them whiskas but someone told me that whiskas is like junk food for cats so I'm happier now that I've moved them on to this stuff (they are too). :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭waraf

Maryxyz

If your cat food comes in normal size cans (i.e. the same diameter as a can of beans) then these are really handy for stopping the smell and keeping the food fresh for a day or two.

• Advertisement

Thaks for all the great ideas, folks !

Maryxyz

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Most cats like variety, change the food every now and again and you will find the appreciate it more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds

I only feed my cat fresh food...and the odd bit of dry if needs be. Is that bad?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

Our Theo is a tub of lard I'm afraid.

He was on Hills Prescription Diet r/d but it was costing an arm and a leg so I switched to Hills Science Diet r/d. Since then he's put on some weight, although I think we may have slipped into old habits and fed him too much... it's hard not to because food is his most favourite thing in the world.

After doing some research I've reduced him to 1/4 cup twice a day this weekend and hopefully that will help. I wish he'd just exercise more, but he'd stare at us trying to get him to play with toys for hours with his "you're acting awfully silly, you know that?" look on him and we even bought him a harness & leash a few years back... but he just turns into civil disobedience cat and lets us drag him around the floor.

*sigh* :o

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

LOL @ civil disobedience cat. Thats a peaceful anti-harness protest all right.

I have a couple of harnesses. They take the cats a while to get used to them, but lots of praise and making a positive fuss is the key. One of my guys, when he realised that the harness is a direct trade for going outside, adjusted in precisely two minutes flat.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

Theo's never been outside - tried one time when we first got the harness to see if that would change his mind about wanting to walk with it. Talk about a total freak out...

We actually got a 5 month old lab puppy at the start of the month. Working on socializing them (mainly so that Jake leaves Theo alone rather than attempting to play which Theo does NOT appreciate) but boy, does the sight of a large grinning (read: toothy) animal bounding towards him get that cat moving! (Obviously we minimize that sort of behaviour so as not to stress the cat... but... a bit of exercise wouldn't harm the little fatty)

Perhaps I shall try training the cat to walk with the harness by feeding him his kibble one piece at a time for walking... Getting a dog has re-awakened my "animals CAN be trained" thinking. I mean, a cat can't be any more untrainable than a chihuahua right?

Xiney wrote: »
    Perhaps I shall try training the cat to walk with the harness by feeding him his kibble one piece at a time for walking... Getting a dog has re-awakened my "animals CAN be trained" thinking. I mean, a cat can't be any more untrainable than a chihuahua right?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gKPpXkPzFA&feature=rec-HM-fresh+div

Advertisement