Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Residents Experiences of Windfarms

Options
  • 26-06-2009 9:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭

Hi everyone,

I hope this is the right forum for this but I am looking for the experiences of people who live near operational windfarms.

There is a proposal for the development of a wind farm in our local area - our house will be within 1.5km from the development, and I am looking for actual experiences of people relating to the benefits and negative aspects of wind farms. So I am not looking for heresay and anectotal stories.

I will be doing my own research on it over the weekend and I have no major objections to the development once quality of life is not affected. So I just thought I'd post up here to see if there are people on here who live near a wind farm.

Obvious concerns are the noise levels and shadow flicker and the possibility of interference with television and mobile phone signals. I would be foolish to omit the other concern of property values falling, while not a cause for personal concern for the immediate future may well be in the future, or indeed for other locals.

Anyway, any replies would be most welcome
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 JosephQ

I live near (about 1 mile as the the crow flies) probley the biggest wind farm in europe just out side East Kilbride. It has well over 100 turbines and we hear no noise and they look lovely on a low cloud day the props turning between the mist. Been up close really have to listen to hear any noise don't see any affect on wild life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

The noise pollution factor is a myth. Most wind farms produce a decibel level lower than that of a murmered conversation. Plus, they look class.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

I spent all day under Wind Turbines today and I think your average town dweller gets more noise and they are not very noisy at all these new ones especially maybe older ones were.

In my area we have heading close to 150 Wind turbines now and the only negative effects we had was the TV signals. Wind Turbine massively defract the Analogue TV Signals but these are due to be turned off in 2012 and replaced by DTT (Digital Terrestrial TV) works through them perfectly as it is a digital signal consisting of Binary.

As of property prices, Wind Turbines add massive value to property and my own property has increased due to the attractiveness of Wind turbines and I sit on a area worth well in excess of €1million now. Regardless of where anyone's houses is located it has taken a severe equity knock in this depression so I wouldn't worry too much anyway.

Wind farms also open up vast tracts of land with new quality roads and this allows for easier access to farming lands and I spent today on top of a mountain well over 2,000 ft high all day turning turf. Wind farm development also allows for greater access to our blanket bogs which are located in high plateaus and mountain tops and help facilitate full scale commercial turf operations.

This kills two birds with one stone as you are getting locally produced Electricity from the wind and allowing exploitation of wastelands thus further reducing our dependence of expensive imported foreign oil with increased Turf production.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭davidoco

Four within a km of me just over the brow of a hill and have never heard them, although when I'm out star gazing late on a very very quiet night I think I can hear them but they shouldn't be turning so might be just imagination.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭probe

There is much hysterical baloney surrounding green technologies.

Examples:

Wind turbines turn very slowly in the real world. They use gears and or transformers to leverage the power of the wind. Slow turns mean almost zero noise and a tiny risk to birds. No different to a bird crashing into a skyscraper or some other obstacle.

Tidal power gets a similar accusation - the turbines "will kill fish". These turbines typically rotate at about 15 RPM. It takes four seconds for the blade to turn around. A tiny risk for a fish, compared with a predator fish who will gobble them up in a half a second!

Combined heat and power incinerators turning household waste into energy - most of the stuff they are burning is a derivative of timber (packaging materials - often food stained) or oil (plastics) or is waste organic material - eg food leftovers. Dumping this stuff in a landfill is appalling - it leads to methane emissions (a far more potent greenhouse gas emission compared with CO2) and ground water pollution. People are happy to burn wood or oil in their home heating systems. Why not let the wood and oil have a double life where it acts as packaging (that is otherwise unrecoverable due to food staining or market problems where it is uneconomic to physically recycle the item)?

I get all my heat and air con and some electricity from the local incinerator. It is a community resource. Nobody throws toxic stuff into the system because they like fresh clean air. In any event, the emissions are scrubbed several times and pass through water to remove the remaining solubles. Burning takes place at high temperature to kill dioxins. People living in a town or city full of gas, oil, and wood burning stoves and central heating systems - each unit operating in a non-controlled environment with no scrubbing or emissions treatment kit are getting far more pollution from the combustion they create.

Tiny issues get totally distorted by tabloid idiots who have a particular agenda to promote, or are simply hysterical morons who are incapable of looking at the science and real impact. This often leads to the big picture benefits getting politically strangled in the process.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

netwhizkid wrote: »
    Wind farms also open up vast tracts of land with new quality roads and this allows for easier access to farming lands and I spent today on top of a mountain well over 2,000 ft high all day turning turf. Wind farm development also allows for greater access to our blanket bogs which are located in high plateaus and mountain tops and help facilitate full scale commercial turf operations.

This kills two birds with one stone as you are getting locally produced Electricity from the wind and allowing exploitation of wastelands thus further reducing our dependence of expensive imported foreign oil with increased Turf production.

:eek: You do realise that cutting turf on an industrial scale is disastrous for the ecosystem and about the most un green thing you can do? These are not "wastelands" these are unique ecological habitats and should be a tourist attraction. And I am not some city slicker I grew up near prime boglands and worked on them for many summers. BTW I am all for windfarms.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

I would suggest you visit a wind farm similar to that of the planned one and make up your own mind. Is the proposed wind farm on or near an SAC, NHA, SPA or other protected environment?

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Jim Martin

Listened to the Moanmore turbines in Co. Clare yesterday and they were quite noisy with a stiff SEasterley blowing, sounded like a jet going over, even from about 2,000 ft away! The noise was the blades cutting through the air on (I think) the downstroke.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭papamike

Thanks for the replies. Some varying opinions there.
    Oldtree wrote: »
    I would suggest you visit a wind farm similar to that of the planned one and make up your own mind. Is the proposed wind farm on or near an SAC, NHA, SPA or other protected environment?

Oldtree, I would imagine a visit to a windfarm will be the next step. There is a meeting of local residents soon so this will probably come up then. The proposed development is not on a SAC, NHA or SPA but it is on cutaway bog that has been identified by the County Council in its development plan as an area suitable for development of a wind farm. Link to the proposed development where there is a PDF brochure available. http://www.bnm.ie/corporate/index.jsp?pID=93&nID=96&aID=790

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭maniac101

I don't live near a wind farm but my biggest concern if I was near this development would be noise. 80MW is a fairly big wind farm. In their EIS, BNM will have to show that there are no residences within a region where noise levels would not be acceptable, at around 35-40dB. Their calculations will be based purely on design data. I would need additional reassurance that the noise levels will be monitored during the lifetime of the wind farm and that these measurements would be accessible to the public. Ignore statements like "noise pollution is a myth". Maximum noise levels can be a constraint on the yield of a farm, so proper control and monitoring should be part of any development.

If you're concerned about the value of your house another thing to watch may be the overhead power line. Look for the proposed route of the 110kV cable from the substation to the grid and see if it passes close to your house. The line could be on wooden poles or on steel pylons or more probably on a mixture of the two. Remember that only the cables from the substation to the turbines will be underground. In my view any concerns about the health of those living in the vicinity of such power lines are completely unfounded, but they sure don't look pretty if they're overshadowing your back garden.

With regard to shadow flicker, BNM will have to make it clear in their EIS which residences in the area are affected and at what times. Also, look for a photomontage of the wind farm viewed from your side so that you've some idea what it will look like from your house when built.

BTW, I think it's good to see wind farms being built in the midlands.

• Advertisement

I do not have any faith in planning enforcement after the fact. I would advise you to protect and inform yourself as best as you can in the first instance.

See here for info and links as a starting point:

http://www.noeastclarewindfarm.net/

I have seen other objections from residents to additions to wind farms here in mayo and they are not happy campers, I will try to relocate them. search your councils planning website for wind farm, turbine, mast or mw to have a look at other planning applications and the backing docs and observations to them. or have a look at mayo coco website here:

http://www.mayococo.ie/PlanSearch/mcc4/PlanningViewer/SelectPlan.asp

Also have a look at the an bord pleanala reports and decisions as to how they make their decisions.

http://www.pleanala.ie/search/index.php

PAPAMIKE have a look at this previous thread as to the pros and cons and links to info

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055393679

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭whatisayis

papamike wrote: »
    There is a proposal for the development of a wind farm in our local area - our house will be within 1.5km from the development, .

Obvious concerns are the noise levels and shadow flicker

Although I do not live near a wind farm the current consensus is that no house should be within 2kms of a wind turbine. Here is a you tube video of the experience of one man living near a wind farm. Please take care watching if flickering images cause you any distress.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyOImGHyJtQ

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shiny

whatisayis wrote: »
    Although I do not live near a wind farm the current consensus is that no house should be within 2kms of a wind turbine. Here is a you tube video of the experience of one man living near a wind farm. Please take care watching if flickering images cause you any distress.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyOImGHyJtQ

Jaysus that is bad.

As much as I love wind turbines, 20 years of that would drive me to
    an early grave!

Apparantly it is the low frequency noise emissions that are more dangerous to human health. Unfortunately, there is no requirement for wind farm operators to assess these levels prior to approval. There are just too many negatives associated with onshore windfarms. I find the excuse that "offshore is too expensive" to be a very clear indication that the only green that these developers are interested in is the colour of money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

Those turbines in america are both early versions and badly constructed, the blades are inherently sharp and generate alot of noise as a result. European turbines where the technology really has been honed to a fine art are much more efficient and do not create as much noise as those versions.

Those wind turbines are situated far too close to that house and if they refused to relocate further they should have bought his house and demolished it. No turbine should be located so near his house no matter how quite. In Ireland in my own experience Turbines are generally put up in remote parts on the country far away from population centres. Americans with Wind turbines, it is like Ireland trying to perfect French wine or Spain trying to make Vodka, the two do not have a history toghether.

As in favour of them as I am, there is two things I have to say.

Wind turbines are a disaster economically an exist on Government Subsidies thanks to the global warming scam and green leftish agenda.

If I was living near that turbine I would quickly put a stick of gelignite under it and the ones around my home until I had peace and quite and no shadow flickr either. That is unacceptable and Turbines exist primarily to make money for developers and are acceptable due to the greenwashing associated with them. I hope to get some up soon and couldn't care less if they emitted tonnes of Co2 rather than saved it as I am after €'s and not saving the planet. What is happening in Ireland is a bit like the housing bubble only with uneconomical wind turbines instead. I intend to get in on the act this time round and it is every man for himself as Ireland inc. is about to go under very soon so it will be a side income at least.

Those turbines in america are both early versions and badly constructed, the blades are inherently sharp and generate alot of noise as a result. European turbines where the technology really has been honed to a fine art are much more efficient and do not create as much noise as those versions.

This video was taken in Scotland in January 2008
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27fusaCE6YQ
    In Ireland in my own experience Turbines are generally put up in remote parts on the country far away from population centres.

Which is why the noise of a wind farm has a greater impact. Also, the less people, the less objections.
    Turbines exist primarily to make money for developers and are acceptable due to the greenwashing associated with them. I hope to get some up soon and couldn't care less if they emitted tonnes of Co2 rather than saved it as I am after €'s and not saving the planet. What is happening in Ireland is a bit like the housing bubble only with uneconomical wind turbines instead. I intend to get in on the act this time round and it is every man for himself as Ireland inc. is about to go under very soon so it will be a side income at least.

I tip my hat at your honesty! Much as I am against land based wind farms, the best of luck to you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭probe

whatisayis wrote: »
    This video was taken in Scotland in January 2008
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27fusaCE6YQ

The camera and mic are right under the turbine. Of course there will be some noise, especially on a windy day.

On a windy day there is wind noise without any turbines. Nothing you can do about it. No wind turbines necessary to create the noise. Turbines like this won't be located near houses.

This is a youtube version of Rupert Murdoch tabloid journalism. If these guys wanted to do a serious noise job, they should have put a mic right up near the gearbox, and turn up the volume + 99999 dB.

You can put a sensitive mike up near a cat purring, and ramp up the volume, do a youtube video on how intolerable purring cats are..... ! We have got used to happy cats in the real world and know they won't keep us from sleeping soundly.

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Jim Martin

Jim Martin wrote: »
    Listened to the Moanmore turbines in Co. Clare yesterday and they were quite noisy with a stiff SEasterley blowing, sounded like a jet going over, even from about 2,000 ft away! The noise was the blades cutting through the air on (I think) the downstroke.

As I said, I could hear them from 2,000ft away!

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭maniac101

probe wrote: »
    This is a youtube version of Rupert Murdoch tabloid journalism. If these guys wanted to do a serious noise job, they should have put a mic right up near the gearbox, and turn up the volume + 99999 dB.
    The noise you hear from a modern wind farm is aerodynamic noise, not mechanical noise. Modern gearboxes are generally well insulated up in the nacelle and the noise they emit is not a concern. Aerodynamic noise can be reduced by adjusting the pitch of the blades. But this reduces the amount of energy available to sell to the grid. So the developer's goal of optimising return on investment can conflict with his requirement to control noise emissions in certain circumstances.

As for turbines turning very slowly- if you've never seen them up close that might be your impression. Large turbines turning at 18rpm will have operating tip speeds far in excess of 200km/h.
    Jim Martin wrote: »
    As I said, I could hear them from 2,000ft away!
    Yes, you could hear a turbine from that distance. Then again you could be standing just a few hundred feet away and not hear it at all. A lot will depend on the direction of the wind and whether you're upwind or downwind.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 589 ✭✭✭vincenzo1975

This weekend saw record generation of wind power - in excess of 960MW's on saturday night (11th). so all those wind farms were blowing this weekend.

http://www.eirgrid.com/operations/systemperformancedata/windgeneration/

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭papamike

maniac101 wrote: »
    I don't live near a wind farm but my biggest concern if I was near this development would be noise. 80MW is a fairly big wind farm. In their EIS, BNM will have to show that there are no residences within a region where noise levels would not be acceptable, at around 35-40dB. Their calculations will be based purely on design data. I would need additional reassurance that the noise levels will be monitored during the lifetime of the wind farm and that these measurements would be accessible to the public. Ignore statements like "noise pollution is a myth". Maximum noise levels can be a constraint on the yield of a farm, so proper control and monitoring should be part of any development.

If you're concerned about the value of your house another thing to watch may be the overhead power line. Look for the proposed route of the 110kV cable from the substation to the grid and see if it passes close to your house. The line could be on wooden poles or on steel pylons or more probably on a mixture of the two. Remember that only the cables from the substation to the turbines will be underground. In my view any concerns about the health of those living in the vicinity of such power lines are completely unfounded, but they sure don't look pretty if they're overshadowing your back garden.

With regard to shadow flicker, BNM will have to make it clear in their EIS which residences in the area are affected and at what times. Also, look for a photomontage of the wind farm viewed from your side so that you've some idea what it will look like from your house when built.

BTW, I think it's good to see wind farms being built in the midlands.

Maniac101, thanks for that reply. I also have no major problems with wind farms being developed in the midlands provided our quality of life isn't diminished from noise or shadow flicker etc. Regarding the noise, at the consultation meeting BNM did locally, they had maps outlining the limits of the 45db range but as you say these are based on design data and until the farm is operational it is hard to know how this will work out. Most houses were outside this limit on the maps. In addition very few people could tell you how loud 45db is? It was only an afterthought but BNM should have had the ability to produce 45db on the night of the consultation so people would have an idea. I agree with the need for ongoing measurement of noise levels that are accessible to the public and this should be a condition of planning if granted.

Regarding you point on property values, the substation is at the opposite end of the farm to ourselves but it may be a concern for residents over there. I have been trying to gather some evidence regarding property value change near windfarms but there is not a lot out there apart from a few studies in the UK. I have contacted some auctioneers in areas of wind farm development but have heard nothing back. Not much point in contacting the local auctioneers at the minute but I suppose if this development does go ahead they will be the ones valuing the property/land, so they will have to do their research.

I have seen some photomontages and to be honest the proposed turbines are very imposing. They haven't selected the actual height yet so have incorporated the highest possible into their development plans but they are in the region of 160m high at rotor tip. To compare, the Spire in O'Connell St. is 120m so that may give an idea of the height of these things and as the Midlands is fairly flat they will be seen from miles around.
    Oldtree wrote: »
    I do not have any faith in planning enforcement after the fact. I would advise you to protect and inform yourself as best as you can in the first instance.

See here for info and links as a starting point:

http://www.noeastclarewindfarm.net/

I have seen other objections from residents to additions to wind farms here in mayo and they are not happy campers, I will try to relocate them. search your councils planning website for wind farm, turbine, mast or mw to have a look at other planning applications and the backing docs and observations to them. or have a look at mayo coco website here:

http://www.mayococo.ie/PlanSearch/mcc4/PlanningViewer/SelectPlan.asp

Also have a look at the an bord pleanala reports and decisions as to how they make their decisions.

http://www.pleanala.ie/search/index.php

Thanks Oldtree, this is the first application around these parts so there is no precedent set so far so all we have to go on really in the Co. Development Plan which favours wind farm development. Some interesting reading in those links you have provided. Most of the ABP decisions relate to areas of natural beauty, SAC etc but the area of proposed development here wouldn't fall into this category.

Advertisement