Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This Week I are mostly reading (contd)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Should be finishing up God is not Great, by Christopher Hitchens soon and then I'll be starting into Lords of the Bow (Conqueror Series Pt. 2) by Conn Iggulden.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Aenaes

I'm about halfway through Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. One of the few Dahl stories I never read.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

I'm almost finished The Outcast. First book in a while I've been properly engrossed in. Quite a few surprises I didn't see coming and still no idea how it's going to end.

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭fruvai

Finished Slaughterhouse 5 a couple of days ago. Short but enjoyable, so it goes. Currently reading Molloy by Beckett - finding it a lot more enjoyable than Murphy which was so abstruse that I found it difficult to decipher what was happening at the end (although Murphy undoubtedly has some sublime prose).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

I just finished reading Michael Harding's 'hanging with the elephants'.
    It is a gorgeous read. Funny, sad, insightful, generous and welcoming. A lovely book

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

Six Graves to Munich by Mario Puzo (writing as Mario Cleri)

The Heart Of The Matter by Graham Greene. I read The Constant Gardener by John le Carrè not so long ago and the early pages of Greene's novel seems similiar.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,642 ✭✭✭eire4

Finished a re read of Back To Paradise by Billy McNeil a must read for any Celtic fan.

Finished Six Graves to Munich by Mario Puzo (writing as Mario Cleri) ... short but very enjoyable read.

Now it's on to Leaving the World by Douglas Kennedy

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭fruvai

I finished Molloy and quite enjoyed it despite there being no discernible plot or narrative. I did not finish Molloy and I did not enjoy it :pac:
    Have just started Catch 22 by Joseph Heller

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭ivytwine

Just finished The Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet by David Mitchell, really loved it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Half way through Moby Dick and really wondering why I should continue with it - it's a user's manual on how to hunt whales and tedious beyond belief :confused:
    Why does this consistently make the list of greatest novels etc, etc??

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭biZrb

Tom Joad wrote: »
    Half way through Moby Dick and really wondering why I should continue with it - it's a user's manual on how to hunt whales and tedious beyond belief :confused:

I've heard that before about it. Which is why I've been putting off reading it.

I've finished The Free by Willy Vlautin, another great novel from him. I'm now reading The Golden Gate by Vikram Seth, its a novel done entirely in stanzas, I'm really loving it atm.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 2,881 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kurtosis

Finished Gone Girl at the start of the week - it was entertaining enough and a good page turner. Though when I was halfway through I did have one part of the story ruined for me by a colleague who had just seen the film (special circle of hell reserved for spoilers).

I then flew through The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman (enjoyed it, beautiful descriptions, though did wonder whether I had accidentally bought a kid's book) and Mortality by Christopher Hitchens (really like his writing and going to try book up some of his other books).

Next up is either One Day by David Nicholls or Half of a Yellow Sun by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie. Have to take a flight next week so will have a think about which is a better travel book!

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭groovie

I started The Lay Of The Land a few minutes ago. The book opens on the 16 of November, which is today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Censorsh!t

Reading Beloved by Toni Morrisson. Like it a lot so far.

Finished a re read of Neil Lennon's very ineresting biography on his playing career Man and Bhoy.

Eleni by Nicholas Gage.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭lockman

Just finished Scoop by Evelyn Waugh, an irreverent and satirical take on the media world. Very enjoyable read.

Reading The Secret Lives of Trees by Colin Tudge. Just started it and already have a treasure trove of tree-related facts and figures.

I've got two on the go at the moment
    Lila by the awesome Marilynne Robinson and Each and Every One by our own Rachel English :)

• Advertisement

Flying through Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier. It's so unnerving! Fantastic book- another poster mentioned Jamaica Inn a while back, I will def be reading that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Belle E. Flops

ivytwine wrote: »
    Flying through Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier. It's so unnerving! Fantastic book- another poster mentioned Jamaica Inn a while back, I will def be reading that!

I really enjoyed Rebecca, but I loved Jamaica Inn. I love how du Maurier builds tension and suspense.

I really enjoyed Rebecca, but I loved Jamaica Inn. I love how du Maurier builds tension and suspense.

Oh yes. If you describe the plot it seems like nothing much but she really makes it very disturbing!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

Think I might bring Jamaica Inn on my trip to London. I really dont fancy sticking with Middlesex. My best friend has been at me to read a Monster Calls, but I dont want to bring that in case it gets damaged. I need a small book.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭Jijsaw

It- Stephen King, a chapter in and I think it's great :)

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Esterhase

Jijsaw wrote: »
    It- Stephen King, a chapter in and I think it's great :)

You're in for a real treat IMO. I'd love to be able to go back in time and read It for the first time again :D

Finished Winter of the World earlier this week. It was good enough but I felt it suffered from sounding like a history lesson at times, similar to Fall of Giants. I skimmed over some sections of the
    Pearl Harbour and Pacific war parts rather than reading them properly; I just couldn't really get into the American side of the story.
    It's also chock full of the same mad coincidences as FOG where the characters are just in the right place at the right time to witness certain historical events - it feels a bit contrived after a while. All in all I still liked it well enough to continue my Follett binge and start Eye of the Needle.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

I am reading Little Gods by Anna Richards.

It's about a girl, Jean, who is unusually large, born just before the 2nd World War to a horrible cow of a mother, and her attempts to find her place and purpose in the world. It's alright but it feels like it's overly long. I'm not even half way through but it feels like she should be further along in life by now. Plus, I can't figure out exactly how big she is? Is she just a really tall girl or is she like a giant? It's not very clear. I keep picturing her as Miranda Hart.

Rebecca=fantastic.

I flew through Practical Magic by Alice Hoffman over the last two days, nice little read.

Seeing as I'm on a reading spree and I'm heading home for a week I'm bringing A Place of Greater Safety and The Bone Clocks- two very fat reads!

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭mejulie805

Esterhase wrote: »
    Finished Winter of the World earlier this week. It was good enough but I felt it suffered from sounding like a history lesson at times, similar to Fall of Giants. ...All in all I still liked it well enough to continue my Follett binge and start Eye of the Needle.

I'm 40% into Edge of Eternity, which is 3/3 of the 'Century' Trilogy. Same issues as you had with WOTW, maybe a little more exaggerated. It's the worst of the three (so far) but I'm still going to finish it- just not as quickly!

• Advertisement

Finished a re read of Lady Gregory's famous Irish Myths and Legends. Just a great fun and enjoyable read of all those great tales I enjoyed so much when I was a kid.

Advertisement