Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Assignment 16 - Odd One Out

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

KarmaGarda wrote: »
    I think I might lay low for a while... anyone know someplace quiet? And do they serve beer there?

Here ;)

Edit: and maybe they have a dictionary there too so I can practice my spelling?

And Here :pac:

For what it's worth, I saw your pic earlier and thought it was good (from what I can remember)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,324 ✭✭✭keps

Greetings from a wet but pleasant Letterkenny.

Was driving out to Ramelton yesterday after work - and I stopped the car(dangerously) ....

He was whe white sheep of the family.

1252qyt.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,569 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Well spotted but image could be a bit clearer

Tallon wrote: »
    Well spotted but image could be a bit clearer

This was taken on a dark evening around 8 pm on the side of the road - with a 300mm lens at f4 - 1/200th of a second(very hard to keep that steady)

I probably should have upped the ISO from 200 to 800- but as it happens the farmer had opened a gate the sheep were on the run into an adjoining field - where there was no camera view.

Then cropped to 25% of the original image.

So maybe a little leeway is required

keps

I didn't mean it to sound bad, just meant it would have been a fantastic shot if it was clearer

• Advertisement

I didn't mean it to sound bad, just meant it would have been a fantastic shot if it was clearer

But I see you have removed your 'thanks' all the same
    So my explanation had a negative and not a positive result
    That will teach me!
    :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭KarmaGarda

Ok, after opening a cool beer, having a chat with a couple of people, and arguing with you sods here, I've put my photo back in :D . I have come to the realisation that removing it wasn't the correct action to take. So I'll let you decide if it's worthy or not!

At time of this post I do believe it's a dead on heat between me and Mrmac. So it could be a tight finish over the next few days! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭bloo

Hard to get this one without getting mowed down by a car!

3688117980_6e8d00eacf.jpg

Just out of interest, was this one taken in Boyle, on the road out towards the main dublin road?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

bloo wrote: »
    Just out of interest, was this one taken in Boyle, on the road out towards the main dublin road?

Yes it was. Carrick Road, Boyle... good spot!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭vectra

First shot
    Be gentle :D

3701926006_856b04d041.jpg?v=0

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭mrmac

Would've thought you'd have had some sort of screaming gas guzzle'er as an entry?
    Seems very tame for a serious petrol head like you???? :D:D

Anyway, I like the subject - but have to admit, it's way to subtle for me, I just don't get it? Glad to see you're getting some use outta that D60!

Edit: just checked out your flickr account - that's more like it!!!!

mrmac wrote: »
    Would've thought you'd have had some sort of screaming gas guzzle'er as an entry?
    Seems very tame for a serious petrol head like you???? :D:D

Anyway, I like the subject - but have to admit, it's way to subtle for me, I just don't get it? Glad to see you're getting some use outta that D60!

Edit: just checked out your flickr account - that's more like it!!!!

OK
    Gas Guzzlers is it..??

Check this pic out :D

3701404149_5c0d105a83.jpg

Same items from the top down

3702201968_ef3a0ae5a9.jpg

Deleted this pic as against the rules
    Sorry :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭mrmac

^^^ not allowed! Not taken within the time frame!
    Bit of an obvious give away - you could've tried to disguise the date stamp a bit eh?
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Taken 5 mins ago :D

FA34357FA8E044B8B49B6749998F4155-800.jpg

mrmac wrote: »
    ^^^ not allowed! Not taken within the time frame!
    Bit of an obvious give away - you could've tried to disguise the date stamp a bit eh?
    :D

OOPs
    Forgot about that rule :P

Deleting photo now
    Thanks for the heads up ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Euro_Kraut

excitedhanger.jpg

Just so I can do bette the next assignment - maybe some of the non-voters for the 'White Sheep of the Family' could tell me why it did not attact their thumbs up and give some C&C

I thought it quite good myself as it was not a set up shot like most here(including most of my efforts) and it was a reversal of the usual 'black sheep among white.' (One person actually went to the trouble of removing a vote- so there seems to be some issue with this photo!)

With regard to the rules - it was taken specifically for the competition last Monday near Letterkenny - and there are NO alterations to the shot other than a crop and a slight contrast adjustment

Just genuinely looking for some feedback on this for future reference.

Keps

keps wrote: »
    (One person actually went to the trouble of removing a vote- so there seems to be some issue with this photo!)

I didn't remove my thanks because of the photo, i liked the photo.
    I removed my thanks because of the way you reacted to the C&C I gave.

• Advertisement

Just so I can do bette the next assignment - maybe some of the non-voters for the 'White Sheep of the Family' could tell me why it did not attact their thumbs up and give some C&C

I love the concept behind the picture, but as far as photos go, I don't think it's a great shot. I probably would have waited until the white sheep had caught up with the other ones and intermingled a little. In saying that though, I understand you were tied for time as you were stopped dangerously.

So points for spotting and taking a risk to take the shot from me, and points deducted for the calibre of the pic.

Now, whats wrong with mine? :)

WindSock wrote: »

I don't see what it has to do with the topic!

EDIT: oh the backpacks, very clever

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭WheresMyCamera?

Tick tock, times nearly up!!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

I thought it quite good myself as it was not a set up shot like most here(including most of my efforts) and it was a reversal of the usual 'black sheep among white.' (One person actually went to the trouble of removing a vote- so there seems to be some issue with this photo!)

With regard to the rules - it was taken specifically for the competition last Monday near Letterkenny - and there are NO alterations to the shot other than a crop and a slight contrast adjustment

Just genuinely looking for some feedback on this for future reference.

Keps

keps, I'm new to this particular forum too, but I don't understand the constant need that you seem to have to question why people aren't voting for your photos.

I think this particular assignment more than most has lent itself to shots that could be set up more so than other assignments in the past few weeks and therefore there are some photos that I wouldn't vote for because I don't think they are particularly interesting in comparison... but aside from that people have personal opinions too and might just not like the photo. There are some photos in the thread I didn't think were particularly good examples of the theme to the point that I was left wondering how they represented 'One One Out'. Your sheep photo is not one of them because the connection is quite obvious and I liked it because it wasn't set up either but it's just not everyone's cup of tea. I wouldn't get too bogged down to be honest.

I entered a photo for this assignment for the first time, it's the one with the shoes on the telephone wire. It fits the theme and I spotted them on the way home one evening last week so I took the photo. I also liked the fact that I didn't have to set something up. But aside from fitting the theme I don't think the photo itself is all that interesting (self criticism!! :pac:) The shoes are light in colour on a pale sky and if i was to zoom out any further to add a bit of colour and background to the photo, the point of the photo would have lost it's meaning as the shoes would not have been clear. But it loses out the other way as well.

Anyway point being, C&C is welcomed on the forum from what I can see from my short time here, but constantly whinging about 'why didn't anyone vote for me?' is annoying in my opinion. I don't see why everyone who didn't vote for your photo has to justify why they didn't. I don't think that's what the forum is about.

My favourite photo of this assignment (so far!) was KarmaGarda's smiley faces on fingers photo. Reason? It fitted the theme and is a good photo. Real reason? It made me laugh. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Crispin

odd one out is the one at the bottom right, it's a VIP glass bottom bubble, unlike all the others (just in case it's not obvious) :)

65757AE394D844F4B573DEFA9F22E5CE-800.jpg

Some C&C on this so. I thought the picture was clever in what you achieved, but unfortunately the picture itself lacked quality. I understand that you were under certain pressures to take the photo, but unfortunately that criticism has to still stand. If only you had more time, and got a better quality shot, you would have gotten my thumbs up for it. :)

WindSock wrote: »

I didn't vote for yours for the exact opposite reason! I think it's actually an excellent photo, but for the purpose of the assignment I think it's a little weak. Now, if you had posted this in the Random Thread you would have gotten a thumbs up from me :)

I don't see what it has to do with the topic!

EDIT: oh the backpacks, very clever
    KarmaGarda wrote: »
    I didn't vote for yours for the exact opposite reason! I think it's actually an excellent photo, but for the purpose of the assignment I think it's a little weak. Now, if you had posted this in the Random Thread you would have gotten a thumbs up from me :)

Right-oh. Point taken. Will delete pic from thread and repost at a more relevant time.

I wouldn't delete it, it's still a good picture. Post it in the Random Thread too. Why not.

Don't delete the post!

• Advertisement

Can't be undone, unless by a mod. Sure it it irrelevant to thread and not one I would choose. Just one I happen have in my new flickr account. Will repost again in random due to popular demand ;)

Advertisement