Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HPAT courses

Options
  • 25-06-2009 6:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭

Hi, I'm applying for medicine next year but just wondering did anyone do the hpat training course in The Institute in Dublin this year and if so did you feel it was worth while?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Just a forewarning to keep on topic and useful information only please

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭cantona56

hi swatch, did the course last year. the guy doing it was great, really interesting and entertaining. he was an accountant who switched to med, got in the 99th percentile in UMAT, australian equivlant of HPAT, so he is very qualified to conduct the course.

As regards improving your score, i wouldnt be depending on it. The course is very beneficial as regards practical aspects of the exam such as timing, equipment, etc. ( the smallest things can make a huge difference in such a high stakes exam!!)

If you can afford the course which is very expensive i would do it for confidence and peace of mind, but remember the exam is designed to be impossible to prepare for. personally i found any practise tests i did much easier than the real thing.

Hope all goes well for you next year!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

cantona56 wrote: »
    he was an accountant who switched to med, got in the 99th percentile in UMAT, australian equivlant of HPAT, so he is very qualified to conduct the course.

Seems crazy- they were ridiculously expensive!

Swatch,
    Do it if you have money to burn, but don't feel pressured to.
    My friend did TWO of them, I had a look at his notes, it just said obvious crap like..
    "Wear a watch. Eat a good breakfast. Bring a spare pencil"
    OH RLY?!

I whooped his ass in it, in any case.

Also, if you really want good preparation, buy the sample HPAT booklets off the website, as well as the sample UMAT booklets.
    And just PRACTICE.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭ALincoln

the 99th percentile is highly impressive, so clearly the guy did somthing right. And for something where you can't be spoonfed content (shocker), advice re what equipment to bring etc. is very helpful, and may make the difference in the end between landing in the 99th percentile and a...lesser mark.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭cantona56

bythewoods wrote: »
    Seems crazy- they were ridiculously expensive!

Swatch,
    Do it if you have money to burn, but don't feel pressured to.
    My friend did TWO of them, I had a look at his notes, it just said obvious crap like..
    "Wear a watch. Eat a good breakfast. Bring a spare pencil"
    OH RLY?!

I whooped his ass in it, in any case.

yea, i know what you mean bythe woods, looking back i suppose there was nothing amazingly special about him, but when your in 6th year with pressure of LC and all your hopes are resting on this test its reassuring to know that you are being given tips from somebody who scored in top 1% of all applicants.....that was a bit of a con in a way though as just because he did great doesnt mean he was magically going to prepare every one to do likewise.

Like i said it can help a little bit by giving confidence and also doing an exam under realistic conditions. Overall though i dont think it improved my score much!:mad:....80% money making raquet but the thing is many people are going to pay for them either way if they are desperate to study medicine, simple as....

Maybe theres a money making possibility for you next year 'Bythe woods'....you would make a fortune!! LOL:P

I did not claim to whoop the accountant's ass at all, for the record.

My post was edited by star-pants (I'm not entirely sure why?) and this caused confusion.

I beat my schoolmate who did two revision courses.

Out of curiosity, how much do the revision courses cost?

Out of curiosity, how much do the revision courses cost?

I remember checking them out, they were around €500 or thereabouts.

Will the mod please stop censoring this thread for no valid reason - it has become confusing.

• Advertisement

ALincoln wrote: »
    Will the mod please stop censoring this thread for no valid reason - it has become confusing.

Agreed.
    Cheers for taking me out of context.

I wasn't aware we weren't allowed to express relevant opinions.

bythewoods wrote: »
    I remember checking them out, they were around €500 or thereabouts.

That's pretty expensive alright. Kind of a waste of money, really...

Just buy yourself the Mensa IQ test booklet and run through the spatial reasoning and recurrence pattern problems.

Here's a link to where you can buy the UMAT sample booklets.

https://umatreg.acer.edu.au/booklets.php

Expensive, but worthwhile. And a lot cheaper than doing a prep course ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭galway.gaa

i dont really know anything about hpat. i heard some lad got 106. im just wondering what is it out of? whats the max score you can get?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Baby-R-22

i did the Bruce one in cork. i found the guy irritating and the in-house testing unreliable (in the 1st i was in the top 20% and the 2nd i was bottom 50%??) but i did find it comforting to have training. no way could i have gone into the hpat blind. i got 151 so judge me on that i guess. oh and i thought the Hpat itself was easier than the Bruce papers but unlike the Acer sample papers.

galway.gaa wrote: »
    i dont really know anything about hpat. i heard some lad got 106. im just wondering what is it out of? whats the max score you can get?

Theoretically the maximum possible score is 300, but the maximum possible this year was around 230ish; the maximum score depends on the combined ability of the test takers.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭drrkpd

Theoretically the maximum possible score is 300, but the maximum possible this year was around 230ish; the maximum score depends on the combined ability of the test takers.

Results are a normal distribution curve despite what previously thought.
    So average mark is about 150 (50th percentile). Only 1% (99th percentile) over 200 and Yes maximum reported mark (Irish times) is 230- who is that genius??

As per closed hpat thread about 3000 took hpat so each percentile is about 30 people. So if you got 50th percentile there are about 1500 people with a higher mark than you and only 400+ places.

So huge number of people 150-200 marks and Leaving Cert marks remain very important especially 550 and beyond!!

drrkpd wrote: »

As far as I know that's what has always been thought? They (ACER) would probably use a normal distribution, but somebody said - and they quoted - that it wasn't a bell shaped curve, but a Sigmoid curve, which makes things slightly different.
    So average mark is about 150 (50th percentile). Only 1% (99th percentile) over 200 and Yes maximum reported mark (Irish times) is 230- who is that genius??

Yah, the average mark is exactly 150, by definition. I suppose that somebody had to score the highest, anyway. The fact that the results are so close, and that nobody hit the theoretical maximum (300) show's ACER used a relatively small standard deviation.

It also show's that most people who took the HPAT are of a very close standard, which is a good reflection of the candidates who took the exam.

was me who got information could be a sigmoid curve but totally agree with you normal distribution much more likely know with quoted results. By by the looks of things one point from 150 up to 181 (estimated 91st percentile) can mean the difference of 1 percentile or 30 people!!

As far as I know that's what has always been thought? They (ACER) would probably use a normal distribution, but somebody said - and they quoted - that it wasn't a bell shaped curve, but a Sigmoid curve, which makes things slightly different.

Yah, the average mark is exactly 150, by definition. I suppose that somebody had to score the highest, anyway. The fact that the results are so close, and that nobody hit the theoretical maximum (300) show's ACER used a relatively small standard deviation.

It also show's that most people who took the HPAT are of a very close standard, which is a good reflection of the candidates who took the exam.

Not seen anyone post a score of 150 but is that the confirmed 50th percentile??

• Advertisement

swatch wrote: »
    Hi, I'm applying for medicine next year but just wondering did anyone do the hpat training course in The Institute in Dublin this year and if so did you feel it was worth while?

From ACER (who set the examination)

Intensive preparation is not advisable or necessary. However, as with any test, some practice in answering questions of a similar type, and under similar time constraints as those found in the real test is helpful and reassuring to most candidates.

Unfair to comment on a particular course but anywhere you can practice tests online and do an exam under test conditions will help you to do as well as you are able.
    (try googling hpat for possibilities)

drrkpd wrote:
    was me who got information could be a sigmoid curve but totally agree with you normal distribution much more likely know with quoted results. By by the looks of things one point form 150 up to 181 (estimated 91st percentile) can mean the difference of 1 percentile or 30 people!!

Yah, it's looking that way. But, each percentile covers a different interval. So, there might be 30 people on a score between 187 and 190 (the 92nd %le or whatever), but there might be the same number on a score between 151 and 151.3 (the 51st %le or whatever) etc. So, it's easier to judge how many are ahead of you using your percentile rank than it is using your actual score.
    drrkpd wrote: »
    Not seen anyone post a score of 150 but is that the confirmed 50th percentile??

Well, the lowest possible score is 0 (1st %le), and the highest possible is 300 (99th %le), meaning that the mean score would have to be 150 (i.e. 50th %le). That's assuming that it actually is a normal distribution, of course.

That's pretty expensive alright. Kind of a waste of money, really...

Just buy yourself the Mensa IQ test booklet and run through the spatial reasoning and recurrence pattern problems.

Agree this plan using Mensa booklet would be very helpful as would a bit more prsctice than the example book. The real thing is now proven to be a LOT HARDER than the example book!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

ALincoln wrote: »

It was done because people were giving out to other people and I didn't want another thread to be bitching back and forth.
    Mods can't win, if I hadn't taken it out someone would have complained.

Also - I advise you not to argue with mods decisions. Doesn't bother me in this case, but others would infract.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭leesmom

500 euro is crazy. i think people go to those courses expecting it to work magic but in reality i dont think thats the case. id say your 500 euro would be better off spent saving for college

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Cillbill

Hey guys
    i got 150 and i was the 49th percentile.
    Seriously disappointed ! Hey does anyone know is i got 570-600 in the lc would I have a chance?

star-pants wrote: »
    It was done because people were giving out to other people and I didn't want another thread to be bitching back and forth.
    Mods can't win, if I hadn't taken it out someone would have complained.

Also - I advise you not to argue with mods decisions. Doesn't bother me in this case, but others would infract.

Probably, then the issue would have been reconciled in an adult manner, as it usually is. Also, by amending posts that pose the possibility of a complaint, you are implicitly rejecting the notion that people argue an issue before they reach a consensus. Instead, you are imposing from the outset your (subjective and in certain cases, as is the situation for everybody, misguided) perception of agreement. Ironically, the only the thing we agreed on was that your moderating was oppressive.

So are moderators above criticism? Don't be ridiculous. If that were the case they would be completely unaccountable for bad decisions (such as, in my opinion, this case), and free to delete whatever they wish. That seems funnily like an impingement on free speech, a poor lookout for a public forum. Using your position to bully posters is most definitely not the mark of a good mod.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

I did the paper from Acer, and nothing else. Had to go to Dublin, wrecked tired, had a breakfast roll and a bottle of powerade and did the exam.

Just try and be well rested, bring 2 or 3 pencils, that's it.

Cillbill wrote: »
    Hey guys
    i got 150 and i was the 49th percentile.
    Seriously disappointed ! Hey does anyone know is i got 570-600 in the lc would I have a chance?

As above thus is where your marks put you-

hpat results
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by -JammyDodger-

As per closed hpat thread about 3000 took hpat so each percentile is about 30 people. So if you got 50th percentile there are about 1500 people with a higher mark than you and only 400+ places.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement