Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HEAR application

Options
  • 25-06-2009 1:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭

i just got a letter off tap saying that my application is ineligable.i was certian that i met the criteria so i'm gonna appeal.

anyone in the same boat?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Seanh111

Just got my letter now, and yes im ineligable aswel even though i know i met the requirements. Did yours say you either didnt meet the requirements, didnt give enough documents etc. Why not tel us the exact reason like? Do you know what the income limit is? Because im sure i must be below it..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭SarcasticFairy

Is there only a certain number of people they can accept? Because I imagine they'd go from worst off upwards, if that was the case.

Otherwise, maybe it was something to do with medical cards, or other family members going to college before you, or something...?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Got it too...wtf like?!

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭manutd4life

Seanh111 wrote: »
    Just got my letter now, and yes im ineligable aswel even though i know i met the requirements. Did yours say you either didnt meet the requirements, didnt give enough documents etc. Why not tel us the exact reason like? Do you know what the income limit is? Because im sure i must be below it..

yeah mine didnt specify why i was ineligable so i'll probably phone them later to see why i was ineligable before i make an appeal.

as far as i know,the limit for you parents is about 60,000 i think.
    Is there only a certain number of people they can accept? Because I imagine they'd go from worst off upwards, if that was the case.

Otherwise, maybe it was something to do with medical cards, or other family members going to college before you, or something...?

they probably do but i was positive that i was gonna get a hear place

i dont have a medical card but we recieved social welfare last year.none of my parents went to college

looks like tap are gonna get a lot of appeals

• Advertisement

Wel im wel under the 60,000 limit neway. Only we dont have a medical card, and social welfare isnt means tested? How would i know if i fit the socio economic grouping indicator? Im hoping to get numbers 1 plus 4 and 5 if ya know what i mean?

Actually, I've just read the thing fully - It's a load of fúcking bullshít

You have to meet atleast 3 of the "Indicators" that they've only just sent out, in certain combinations.

You have to meet the low income band, but ALSO

Combination one:
    • You also have to have a parent/guardian on social welfare for 6 months
    • and
    • You must be part of a group underrepresented in higher education
    • or
    • You must have attended a DEIS scheme
    • or
    • You must live in an area of concentrated disadvantage
    Combination two:
    • You/Parent/Guardian must be a holder of a medical card from April 2009
    • and
    • or
    • or

Combination three:
    • and
    • or

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Lucet

Ouch, I imagine there's going to be a lot of appeals. I got the place, the best birthday present so far :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I'm eligible.

after reading Challengemaster's post, I must be combination 3.

It is a very strangely organised system tbh

Does anyone know what socio economic grouping is? I think i should fit this indicator, but HEAR dont agree it seems..

• Advertisement

Seanh111 wrote: »
    Does anyone know what socio economic grouping is? I think i should fit this indicator, but HEAR dont agree it seems..
    low earner, live in "disadvantaged" area

Official definition:
    Classification of buyers according to social and economic characteristics. A classification commonly used in marketing research is the A to E system, which classifies households according to the profession of the head of household, or principal wage earner. The grades are as follows: A (upper middle class) – professional or at director level; B (middle class) – senior management; C1 (lower middle class) – junior management and clerical; C2 (working class) – skilled; D (working class) – unskilled, manual labour; and E – those reliant on the state, such as pensioners and the long-term unemployed.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭candy19

I recieved the Hear/Access thing there two years ago and still get it now...From what I have heard this year, there funding have been seriously cut...I know my funding has been cut by quite alot...In such a case, the can only accept a smaller number of students working from the most disadvantaged, up!! There's also the option of applying for the student assistance fund and rent assistance in many colleges as well as applying for you vec or county council maintenance grants.

The HEAR gives money?
    Nobody told me about that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Yeah, candy19 is probably right.

I got the HEAR two years ago but they have since had to cut their funding a lot. I received the bursaries in first year but don't get them anymore because I was awarded a Government scholarship on top of my County Council grant. They decided to stop paying bursaries to those students who were receiving income from other sources other than a County/City Council grant, and that's fair enough. They still offer the academic support and stuff.

With the downturn in the economy and all that, I imagine their funding has been cut even more this year, so they probably have to be more stringent with the criteria for eligibility.

Still, if those of you out there who were ineligible feel that you should have got it it's definitely worth appealing. Also remember that some people who have been accepted at this stage may not get their desired course when the results come out, so more places might be available then.
    phasers wrote:
    The HEAR gives money?
    Nobody told me about that!
    Are you being serious?
    Sure that's the only reason most people bother applying in the first place! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭D.R cowboy

Challenge master it seems your were relying on this to get to college or were you only looking for a hand out?

Because you were well able to pay the money and be a subscriber on boards.ie. I think you were taking HEAR for a ride, I now people in my community who really need this and I hate to see the system beginning used ,the only people who should be eligible are those in need.

"It's a load of fúcking bullshít" No Challenge Master its not and I think HEAR are taking on those who need it the most, just because it didn't go your way no need to verbal abuse the system.

Are you being serious?
    Sure that's the only reason most people bother applying in the first place! :P
    No seriously, I never even copped that! I only did it for the points reduction :P

That's brilliant, maybe now I'll be able to afford food next year

phasers wrote: »
    No seriously, I never even copped that! I only did it for the points reduction :P

That's brilliant, maybe now I'll be able to afford food next year

Heh, when the HEAR people came to our school years ago to talk about it, they made sure to point out that there was money involved, so that we were actually interested in it.
    I'm surprised they never pointed this out to you, along with the points reduction it's the biggest selling point of the scheme. The only thing I can think of is that perhaps they're worried that if things get really bad, they'll have to stop the financial aid scheme altogether and be strictly an academic support body. Hopefully, it won't come to that though.

D.R cowboy wrote: »
    Challenge master it seems your were relying on this to get to college or were you only looking for a hand out?

Because you were well able to pay the money and be a subscriber on boards.ie. I think you were taking HEAR for a ride, I now people in my community who really need this and I hate to see the system beginning used ,the only people who should be eligible are those in need.

"It's a load of fúcking bullshít" No Challenge Master its not and I think HEAR are taking on those who need it the most, just because it didn't go your way no need to verbal abuse the system.

Hold on a minute, who says I paid for it? If you're going to get up onto any high horse there matey, atleast get your damn facts straight before making accusations about other people.

You think I was taking HEAR for a ride, I think you're talking out of your hole.

Oh yes, and I'm oh, so sorry for verbally abusing something inanimate. I hope I didn't hurt it's feelings now :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭D.R cowboy

Hold on a minute, who says I paid for it? If you're going to get up onto any high horse there matey, atleast get your damn facts straight before making accusations about other people.

You think I was taking HEAR for a ride, I think you're talking out of your hole.

Oh yes, and I'm oh, so sorry for verbally abusing something inanimate. I hope I didn't hurt it's feelings now :rolleyes:

Again your going off topic and abusing me a sign of ignorance , I dont understand what " Inanimate" has to do with the HEAR system.

How did you get it? A little fairly come along and write "subscriber" beside Challenge Master, I dont think so mate!.

Do worry you will be in college next year sure there still the grant I suppose you applied for that :rolleyes:

D.R Cowboy and Challengemaster: quit your off-topic argument. Don't start resorting to personal attacks.

Back on topic...

• Advertisement

i was relying on HEAR to get my first choice :(

Heh, when the HEAR people came to our school years ago to talk about it, they made sure to point out that there was money involved, so that we were actually interested in it.
    I'm surprised they never pointed this out to you, along with the points reduction it's the biggest selling point of the scheme. The only thing I can think of is that perhaps they're worried that if things get really bad, they'll have to stop the financial aid scheme altogether and be strictly an academic support body. Hopefully, it won't come to that though.
    They were probably told to sell it on the grounds of points reduction alone in my school because my guidance councellor doesn't believe in "cash incentives". Crazy Americans.

This is great! Do they contact you in relation to it? I'm so happy now :pac:

They were probably told to sell it on the grounds of points reduction alone in my school because my guidance councellor doesn't believe in "cash incentives".
    Damn commies. :mad:
    This is great! Do they contact you in relation to it? I'm so happy now :pac:

Once you've done orientation week, they''ll email you at some point in the first semester to have a one to one meeting. These meetings typically last 5 to 10 minutes. They'll make sure you're getting on alright with the and will ask you if you want help with anything academic.
    At the end of the meeting, they'll give you a cheque for half your bursary. There'll be another similar meeting in the second semester where you'll get the other half.

I can't tell you how much it will be though, or even guess: the HEAR probably don't know themselves yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Jammyc

Its too late to apply now yeah?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

why did nobody tell me about this? I was definitely eligible for it

A lot of students aren't told about it for some reason, my career guidance lady kept mentioning that we were in a "linked" school... maybe that has something to do with it?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,140 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

A lot of students aren't told about it for some reason, my career guidance lady kept mentioning that we were in a "linked" school... maybe that has something to do with it?

Only those students attending a school linked to a participating HEI are allowed apply.
    The HEIs are DCU, UDC, TCD, DIT, NUIM, NUIG, UL and UCC.
    *edit* sorry incorrect URL.
    Most HEIs have their lists on their sites.
    The schools are generally in areas of 'disadvantage', or who have a high percentage of students fitting into 'disadvantaged' criteria.

The full guide is here - .pdf.file

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭christina_x

me and my twin are both eligable, but were slightly confused.
    Does this mean that if we get our course (NUIG) that we recieve the grant or whats the story with that? like does it mean we've got it or are we just more likely to get it?
    and the open day thingy lasts for 3 days, do we have to go all 3 days or can we go just 1 of the days? Were in Donegal and traveling to Galway for 3 days straight cant be fun..

Yeah you have to attend a "linked" school to be eligible. My sister went to a different school which, in all fairness, wasn't any better than mine (was probably worse tbh) but she wouldn't have been eligible because her school wasn't linked. If it was solely dependent on financial circumstances, she would have got it.
    me and my twin are both eligable, but were slightly confused.
    Does this mean that if we get our course (NUIG) that we recieve the grant or whats the story with that? like does it mean we've got it or are we just more likely to get it?
    If you've applied and they've told you that your application has gone onto the next level, it means that you'll most likely be accepted if you are accepted into the college course you've applied for.
    Once you've done the orientation week, they'll arrange meetings with you to give you your bursary cheque.
    and the open day thingy lasts for 3 days, do we have to go all 3 days or can we go just 1 of the days? Were in Donegal and traveling to Galway for 3 days straight cant be fun..

You have to attend to whole thing as far as I know: at least when I did it at UCC we had to go for 5 days. If you don't show up every day, you weren't in the programme anymore.

• Advertisement

One more question... next to some of those orientation week dates it says: '(Residential)'. what does that mean? do I have to sleep there? (:pac:)

Advertisement