Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Enjoying my running

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

Hey a question for you and some of your friends on here regarding your sessions on the track.

I was thinking that 5 minutes is an awfully long interval to be taking. The reps themselves are close to your race pace. Would you not be better off doing slightly slower reps with a reduced recovery. If I were you I'd think about halving my recovery time down to 2.5 minutes.

Just a thought ! maybe you have a good reason for taking such a long recovery. Obviously if somebody is advising you then fair enough but I would be interested to hear what's the theory behind it is. I use to run 800 and 1500 myself and never did sessions like that.

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Good question alright. I was taking a min rest in between my 400s but I took full recovery for the 200s and gave them 100% effort. I only do this because of watching some of the flotrack workouts and from running with ecoli but I'm a distance runner, if these lads are 400/800 meters judging from (again) flotrack workouts it seems to be the norm.
    Sprinters full effort/longer rfecovery
    endurance not full effort/shorter recovery

That seems to be my take but would like to know why also.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭DJS

I think at this stage of the season its quality over quantity. For most of us its the end of the season and there is no point in running ourselfs into the group. The repss are hard enough, but earlier on in the year we were doing session of 40s, 1min just building strenght. Now it is coming to the tailend of the season keep fresh and healthy is the main focus.

Woddle wrote: »
    Good question alright. I was taking a min rest in between my 400s but I took full recovery for the 200s and gave them 100% effort.

Yep I use to take long recoveries until I was 100% fully recovered but I would be doing much shorter reps 300s/200s and 150s.
    DJS wrote: »
    I think at this stage of the season its quality over quantity.

The rep distance and pace wouldn't suggest this. IMO could end up leaving your best in training.

Just my opinion but maybe something to think about. The sessions I described above were not prescribed by me but by a very good coach in my club

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭DJS

Well to be fair, it was his coach telling him what to do so you got to respect he has a bigger plan.
    But I can see why he had him doing this, he wanted fitzington to hit good times with full recovery.
    No point in busting his gut to run these sort of times with short recovery and killing him. He ran hard on sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭p3-fitz

the longest recovery we had was for the 300s as that session was designed to bring about a lactic stimulus so we were going out as hard as possible therefore we needed longer to recover. No sessions are black and white and you cant just say the recoverys are too long, as different sessions having different goals. The other reason i been taking a long recovery is that i am still only 6 weeks back from injury so my body aint ready to be stressed through long sessions with short recoverys so i had two choices do them slow with a short recovery or do them fast with a longish recovery, i choose the latter as i wanted to salvage a good track season,
    fitzingtons 1k session had a long recovery because it was his first time attempting such a long session so therefore he needed a longer recovery then normal, next time he does it i am sure the recovery will be down to 3 mins, his coach also gave him this session because he is slightly underperforming in races so this session will give him the confidence to improve his 3k and 1500 pbs to times he is capable of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭Fitzington

P3fitz has it right.
    My first time attempting a 1k session So i took a longer recovery. I could have ran the same times off 4 minute rec. But they were more comfortable at 5 minutes.My coach wanted me To be comfortable in the session, but no doubht It will only be 3 minutes recovery next time I attempt a 1k session.Thanks for the criticism and your opinions as I know I have alot to learn when it comes to sessions and races., ;)

u also need to learn skipping a dvd with me and grego is bad news for our friendship :P

Okay today I done a 45 minute run The legs felt good.
    I then done 6x50 meter strides to loosen out the legs.
    I then done 20 minutes of stretching and core.

• Advertisement

p3-fitz wrote: »
    u also need to learn skipping a dvd with me and grego is bad news for our friendship :P
    Haha true I owe you one lol, Il pay u and grego into the cinema next time. ha

or pay for a couples combo ha

DJS wrote: »
    Well to be fair, it was his coach telling him what to do so you got to respect he has a bigger plan.

Fair enough.
    Fitzington wrote: »
    P3fitz has it right.
    Thanks for the criticism and your opinions as I know I have alot to learn when it comes to sessions and races., ;)

I wasn't criticising. I was just wondering what the idea behind the session was as I thought it was unusual and something I hadn't come across in the past.

Okay today was a speed workout and timetrial. I was going to attempt a 400 meter timetrial.
    I done a 10 minute warmup. I then done 20 minutes of stretching and drills. I ran the 400 starting on a straight and finishing on a bend, which was tough.
    My coach had someone bringing me 200 in 28 secs, However the pacemaker went out quick and I went through 200 in 27.2, I didnt get a 300meter split but I ended up running 59.6. I was happy enough but I think I can go a second or 2 quicker.
    I then jogged a lap and ran 3x200 meters, with recovery of jog 200 meters between intervals.
    Reps: (1) 28 (2) 29 (3) 29
    I then done a cool down consisting of 15 minutes easy jogging, I was happy enough with the workout as it was something different, but I feel I can go quicker for the 400.
    Till then :)

Friday:Rest day

Saturday: 8 miles in 56 minutes at steady pace/ 7 mmp.

Sunday: DJS Ecoli and I went out to watch the final day of the national seniors. But of course We had to do our run first.
    Ecoli and I were heading out for the hour, While Djs was doing a 40 minute recovery run.
    The run was quick I let Ecoli go, because It was bordering tempo pace and I was just doing an hour.
    I loved the course and the run was grand.
    We then watched the races.

Monday: rest day

• Advertisement

Tuesday: 20 minute easy run.
    Then stretches, The legs are feeling good, Im going to do the drade d 1500 tomorrow, hopefully I can go under 4.50.
    Wish me luck!:D

Okay so toady was the graded 1500, I decided to hop in grade d.
    The legs were feeling real good all day which was a pleasent surprise.
    I arrived in irishtown and watched the 200s. I then warmed up with a mate from the club, I then done my drills/strideouts and stretches.
    My stomach wasnt good going into the race so i was nervous would I even finish. I met two boardies who were in my race so that settled the nerves.
    When the gun went i knew I wanted to lead it out because It was a huge field. Went through 400 in 77, and 300 in 2.36. At the bell lap two lads kicked by me so I knew I had a race. I stayed with them but couldnt get by them, I ended up running 4.48 handtime which was a pb and came 3rd. Absolutely thrilled with the run, and glad the two boardies had good runs aswell.
    Il wait for official results but Im delighted with the race. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,084 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Good run Fitz, you were too fast for me last night, are you running the 3k next week?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭cfitz

Well done on the PB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

That was a great race man. Leading into the wind must've taken a lot out of you so it was great that you hung on for third.

• Advertisement

Thanks, We all had good races last night, Well done.

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Good run Fitz, you were too fast for me last night, are you running the 3k next week?
    Yeah Il run the 3k next week, my pb is 10.26 so id love to improve on that.
    I dont have a clue how the BHHA works, Is it in grades like last night?

I believe it's based on your BHAA classification 8 - 10 for example and then it depends on numbers on the night, where they might combine classifications if numbers are low.

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    I believe it's based on your BHAA classification 8 - 10 for example and then it depends on numbers on the night, where they might combine classifications if numbers are low.
    Alright and its 15 euro to register if i havent ran one before I think

Yes, €15 if your not registered, or €15 to register and €10 for each race afterwards, if you are running again at the end of the month and thinking of doing the XC season with them.

Okay, today I done 6 miles in 42 minutes.(7mmp) The legs felt good.
    Roll on 3k next week.:D

Today I done 8.12 miles in 56 minutes.
    Legs are tired and stiff, have to do more stretching.
    Looking forward to my break now.:eek:

Okay today I done a session I really dont enjoy doing.
    I decided to do a half an hour incorporating 3 minutes steady, with 2 minutes at 3k pace. The 3 minutes were comfortable, in order to recover from the hard pace. I also incorporated hills into this session, which made it tougher. All in all I found the session good, and kept the tempo consistent, and diddnt allow the pace to drop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

Fitzington wrote: »
    Okay today I done a session I really dont enjoy doing.
    I decided to do a half an hour incorporating 3 minutes steady, with 2 minutes at 3k pace. The 3 minutes were comfortable, in order to recover from the hard pace. I also incorporated hills into this session, which made it tougher. All in all I found the session good, and kept the tempo consistent, and diddnt allow the pace to drop.

You still planning on running the 3k on wed then?

Yeah i plan to run the 3k on wedensday, The last race of my season.
    Will you run yourself?

• Advertisement
Advertisement