Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What TV show has the best cast?

Options
  • 24-06-2009 1:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭

Watching 24 last night got me wondering if the show has the best cast on TV? Just look at some of the names who appeared on it last season:
    Keifer Sutherland
    Cherry Jones
    Jon Voight
    Carlos Bernard
    Bob Gunton

Janeane Garofalo
    Elisha Cuthbert
    Kurtwood Smith
    Will Patton

And the likes of Annie Wersching and Jeffery Nordling who may not have been big stars before appearing on the show but were great actors

Also look at some of the names that have appeared down through the years:
    James Cromwell
    Dennis Hopper
    Dennis Haysbeth
    Xander Berkeley
    Sean Astin
    Zachery Quinto
    William Devane
    Tobin Bell

And already for next season the likes of Freddie Prince Jr, Anil Kapoor and Katee Sackhoff have been lined up to appear on the show!

So my question, what TV show do you think has the best cast?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Top Gear!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

It happens to be my favourite TV show, so bias could be an issue...

But for me there is no competition: The West Wing. The list of cast regulars as well as excellent actors who played minor roles is amazing! I'd say it probably has more award winning actors and actresses than any other show in history. (Waits to be proven wrong ;))

EDIT: list here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 869 ✭✭✭The Hustler

xPOSE!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭MaceFace

The Oscars?

Nah, seriously - Entourage.

Game over!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

The Wire.

• Advertisement

Extras.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,419 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Until you mentioned "Elisha Cuthbert" 24 was winning.
    Absolutely can't stand her..brutal actress and I really wish they had killed her off in season 1..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭rednik

The Simpsons. Who hasn't been on it.?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

NCIS - not really that popular over here - but love the numerous story threads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 TYMOYSHU

weeds,, genius cast

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭danh789

Alot of shows being mentioned but no-one seems to be able to back them up with names, 24 is still in the lead!!!

danh789 wrote: »
    Alot of shows being mentioned but no-one seems to be able to back them up with names, 24 is still in the lead!!!

I am pretty confident you have never seen The Wire to say something like that tbh

and what do you mean by back up by names?
    are you suggesting that the best cast is merely the show with the most star names?

Is 24 winning because it has the most famous names in it? Shows such as the Wire, Mad Men, Battlestar and Dexter all have a superior cast simply because they employ some of the finest working actors around. I do like 24 and the cast is great but you can't compare the acting in 24 to the Wire.

Oh and for anyone wondering about the Wire's acting just look at Dominic West, the only actor able to successfully play a realistic drunk.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,354 ✭✭✭Morgans

In your opinion of course. I cant take one persons subjective opinion as fact as what was the best cast. Jeanne Garofolo for instance is decent in the quirky funny role, not sure about the great drama actress. Several of your list are ok as actors but hardly troubling the oscars committe. Just because they had guest appearances/cameos from (some) well-known actors doesn't necessarily mean you are right. The huge acting presence of Freddie Prinze Jr will be used as definitive proof next year.

Blackadder had Rowan Atkinson, Hugh Laurie, Stephen Fry, Miranda Richardson, with Rik Mayall being a fantastic cameo among others. Thinking of Jeanne Garofolo reminds me how perfectly cast The Larry Sanders show was. That would be my nomination. West Wing was a very good shout in the drama category. Several superb performances over several years - even Emily Proctor looked very good in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭JP Liz

ER
    Damages
    Deadwood
    The Wire
    Six Feet Under
    Oz
    Firefly
    Arrested Development
    Homicide: Life On The Street

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Oz easily had the best cast with the actors going on to be in some of the most popular shows on television; The Wire, The Sopranos, Fringe, LOST, Dexter, Law & Order, Desperate Housewives & 24 to name a few...

-Ernie Hudson (Ghostbusters 1 + 2, Desperate Housewives)
    -Harold Perrineau (LOST, The Unusuals, 28 Weeks Later, The Matrix Reloaded, The Matrix Revolutions)
    -Lee Tergesen (Generation Kill, Desperate Housewives, Weird Science, Wayne's World 1 + 2)
    -JK Simmons (The Closer, Juno, I Love You Man, Spiderman 1 + 2 + 3, Law & Order)
    -Dean Winters (Rescue Me, Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles, 30 Rock, PS I Love You, Law & Order SVU)
    -Terry Kinney (The Unusuals, Canterbury's Law, The Last of the Mohicans, thirtysomething)
    -Rita Moreno (Cane, 9 to 5, The Electric Company, West Side Story)
    -George Morfogen (V: The Original Miniseries)
    -Eamonn Walker (Kings, Justice, The Bill, In Sickness and in Health)
    -BD Wong (Law and Order: SVU, Jurassic Park, Father of the Bride)
    -Kirk Acevedo (Fringe, The Black Donnellys, Law & Order: Trial By Jury, Band of Brothers)
    -Scott William Winters (24, Dexter, NYPD Blue, Good Will Hunting)
    -Lauren Velez (Dexter, Ugly Betty, New York Undercover)
    -Tom Mardirosian (Law & Order, The Wire)
    -Christopher Meloni (Law & Order: SVU, NYPD Blue, The Fanelli Boys)
    -Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje (LOST, Get Rich or Die Tryin', Ace Venture: When Nature Calls)
    -Robert Clohessy (Kidnapped, Ohara)
    -Zeljko Ivanek (Heroes, Damages, LOST, Law & Order, 24)
    -David Zayas (Dexter, The Beat)
    -Edie Falco (The Sopranos, Nurse Jackie)
    -JD Williams (The Wire)
    -Kathryn Erbe (Law & Order: Criminal Intent)
    -Seth Gilliam (The Wire, Starship Troopers)
    -Michael Wright (V: The Original Miniseries)
    -Luis Guzman (Anger Management, Dumb and Dumberer)
    -Lance Reddick (The Wire, Fringe, LOST)
    -Erik King (Dexter, Missing Persons)
    -Mark Margolis (Breaking Bad, The Black Donnellys, Scarface, Defiance)
    -Luke Perry (Beverly Hills 90210, Jeremiah)
    -Reg E. Cathey (The Wire)
    -Leon (Cool Runnings, Get Rich or Die Tryin')
    -Judy Reyes (Scrubs)
    -John Doman (The Wire, Damages, ER)
    -Domenick Lombardozzi (The Wire)
    -Paul Schulze (The Sopranos, 24, Nurse Jackie)
    -Ken Leung (The Sopranos, LOST, Saw, Rush Hour, X-Men 3)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Band of Brothers
    Generation Kill
    The X-Files

In no particular order, although the one above suits just fine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭juma

danh789 wrote: »
    Watching 24 last night got me wondering if the show has the best cast on TV? Just look at some of the names who appeared on it last season:
    Keifer Sutherland
    Cherry Jones
    Jon Voight
    Carlos Bernard
    Bob Gunton
    Janeane Garofalo
    Elisha Cuthbert
    Kurtwood Smith
    Will Patton

And the likes of Annie Wersching and Jeffery Nordling who may not have been big stars before appearing on the show but were great actors

Also look at some of the names that have appeared down through the years:
    James Cromwell
    Dennis Hopper
    Dennis Haysbeth
    Xander Berkeley
    Sean Astin
    Zachery Quinto
    William Devane
    Tobin Bell

And already for next season the likes of Freddie Prince Jr, Anil Kapoor and Katee Sackhoff have been lined up to appear on the show!

So my question, what TV show do you think has the best cast?

Fully Agree!!

Not only does the show seem to always get great actors but 95% of the time they are cast perfectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭tvnutz

Because a show has big names means nothing,its whether they can act and act well as a cast. All the big names in 24 and yet Seasons 1 and 5 were the only ones that were good,the rest ranged from average to downright terrible.

Shows like The Wire,which had a massive cast,not just the odd guest or recurring role like in 24,were amazing. No big names yet probably the best cast I have ever seen in a tv show. Oz also had a large cast of little known actors who were brilliant. On a smaller scale,the cast of the West Wing were also brilliant,with martin Sheen really only being the big big name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

The Wire followed by Oz

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Spaced had a solid cast. Even Colin was cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭bm365

tvnutz wrote: »
    All the big names in 24 and yet Seasons 1 and 5 were the only ones that were good,the rest ranged from average to downright terrible.quote]

For the last 8 years (wow, 8 years!) 24 has remained one of, if not the best show on TV. Forgetting about the big stars on the show, it has always been the lesser known actors that really impressed me, such as Carlos Bernard, Dennis Haysbert, Zachery Quinto, Glenn Morshower, Jude Ciccolella, Annie Werching and Jeff Nordling.

Then there is Keifer of course!!!

Also OP, how could you forget about Gergory Itzin and Jean Smart as the brilliant Charles and Martha Logan??!!

No other show can compare to it.

bm365 wrote: »

For the last 8 years (wow, 8 years!) 24 has remained one of, if not the best show on TV. Forgetting about the big stars on the show, it has always been the lesser known actors that really impressed me, such as Carlos Bernard, Dennis Haysbert, Zachery Quinto, Glenn Morshower, Jude Ciccolella, Annie Werching and Jeff Nordling.

Also OP, how could you forget about Gergory Itzin and Jean Smart as the brilliant Charles and Martha Logan??!!

While I do like 24, I can't possibly believe you'd rank it as one of the best shows on television in the last 8 years, when the likes of The Wire, The Sopranos and Oz, amongst other quality shows are out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 Magic.Marker

Greys Anatomy, Desperate Housewives, Private Practice, ER.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭juma

Greys Anatomy, Desperate Housewives, Private Practice, ER.

Pretty people!!

• Registered Users Posts: 43,800 ✭✭✭✭Basq

bm365..

If you abuse another member of this forum, you'll be banned without remorse.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭tvnutz

All the big names in 24 and yet Seasons 1 and 5 were the only ones that were good,the rest ranged from average to downright terrible.quote]

You sir, are an idiot! For the last 8 years (wow, 8 years!) 24 has remained one of, if not the best show on TV. Forgetting about the big stars on the show, it has always been the lesser known actors that really impressed me, such as Carlos Bernard, Dennis Haysbert, Zachery Quinto, Glenn Morshower, Jude Ciccolella, Annie Werching and Jeff Nordling.

I see,I am an idiot because my opinion differs to yours? Clearly you have never seen The Wire,The West Wing,The Sopranos,Oz to name but a few. 24 is absolute rubbish compared to these shows,even when it was at its best.

Keifer's "Damn It" every 10 minutes never impressed me all that much and that's all he could really do. His pathetic attempts at crying also never got me. He has never impressed me as an actor. Zachery Quinto I liked in heroes and Star Trek,he did nothing in 24 worth mentioning. I always liked Carlos Bernard,Tony is probably the shows best character. Gergory Itzin and Jean Smart were also very good but if you had read my post,I did say the show was very good in Season 1 and 5,but even still not one season compares to the shows I just mentioned.

24 is popcorn tv made up as they go along during the season,things blow up,Jack kills dozens of people in one day,its enjoyable turn off your brain tv,but thats all! Watch the Wire but something tells me it might be a little to complex for you if you think nothing comes close to 24!

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭bm365

I see,I am an idiot because my opinion differs to yours? Clearly you have never seen The Wire,The West Wing,The Sopranos,Oz to name but a few. 24 is absolute rubbish compared to these shows,even when it was at its best.

Keifer's "Damn It" every 10 minutes never impressed me all that much and that's all he could really do. His pathetic attempts at crying also never got me. He has never impressed me as an actor. Zachery Quinto I liked in heroes and Star Trek,he did nothing in 24 worth mentioning. I always liked Carlos Bernard,Tony is probably the shows best character. Gergory Itzin and Jean Smart were also very good but if you had read my post,I did say the show was very good in Season 1 and 5,but even still not one season compares to the shows I just mentioned.

24 is popcorn tv made up as they go along during the season,things blow up,Jack kills dozens of people in one day,its enjoyable turn off your brain tv,but thats all! Watch the Wire but something tells me it might be a little to complex for you if you think nothing comes close to 24!

I’ll have you know that I am a fan of all the shows you listed, although I’m only on season 1 of The West Wing and season 2 of The Wire. Also current shows that I am a fan of are Dexter, Entourage, How I Met Your Mother, The Inbetweeners, House, Bones and The Mentalist. I just think that 24 is the best series on TV. Have you not seen season 2 or 7, two of the shows best Days? And I’m sorry but to criticise Keifer’s acting shows how poor your judgement actually is.

I’ll have you know that I am a fan of all the shows you listed, although I’m only on season 1 of The West Wing and season 2 of The Wire. Also current shows that I am a fan of are Dexter, Entourage, How I Met Your Mother, The Inbetweeners, House, Bones and The Mentalist. I just think that 24 is the best series on TV. Have you not seen season 2 or 7, two of the shows best Days? And I’m sorry but to criticise Keifer’s acting shows how poor your judgement actually is.

Season 2??? Are you having a laugh? I was amazed the show wasn't cancelled because of Season 2, back in the day. Season 7 - meh, I think the primary reason people like it is because season 6 was so bad - on the grand scheme of things it doesn't even compare to season 1, which to me is and will always be the only truly excellent season, everything afterwards is so repetitive and predictable.
    As for Kiefer's acting - he is a bit of a one trick pony. He's good at shouting and if I wanted to hire a shouty actor he'd probably be the man for the job, but he'd never cut it in a medical drama or intellectual comedy show.
    I can't believe you say you're a fan of Dexter and House and think 24 has a better overall cast...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭JP Liz

If you count cast plus guest stars ER had an impressive list

Advertisement