Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New SEI exam

Options
  • 24-06-2009 12:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭

Anyone had a look at the sample paper on the SEI website, not as bad as it looks. I did it in about 30 mins and hit the 70% pass mark with some guess work. Don't know if I'll be spending the kings randsom some of the training companies are looking for.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 40,981 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

trad wrote: »
    Anyone had a look at the sample paper on the SEI website, not as bad as it looks. I did it in about 30 mins and hit the 70% pass mark with some guess work. Don't know if I'll be spending the kings randsom some of the training companies are looking for.

i would not be giving any of these 'training' companies any more money than they already have fleeced from assessors....

read and know DEAP,
    read and know SI 666
    read and know the existing dwelling methodology
    read and know the code of practise
    read and know TGD part l

anyone who has published a cert will understand the workings of the NAS...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Jimbo

It's another huge money making oppurtunity for the training providers.
    I certainly won't be parting with any more cash.

It should be easy enough to self-revise and also the experience of doing assesments will help.

By the way, what hapens to assesors who fail the exam?
    Are they temporarly taken of the register until they pass?

Jimbo wrote: »
    It's another huge money making oppurtunity for the training providers.
    I certainly won't be parting with any more cash.

It should be easy enough to self-revise and also the experience of doing assesments will help.

By the way, what hapens to assesors who fail the exam?
    Are they temporarly taken of the register until they pass?

nope, you can keep doing the exam until you pass.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

You can keep on resitting the exam every 14 days until you pass it until end of December, then your registration is suspended until you pass. €100 a go but free until the end of August, i think. This from recent SEI BER asessors seminar at RDS. Open book exam but you can't bring your own books.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 nmg-lky

Just trying to find the sample paper on the SEI website, I must be blind cause i cant see it. Could someone post a link if they have it

• Advertisement

nmg-lky wrote: »
    Just trying to find the sample paper on the SEI website, I must be blind cause i cant see it. Could someone post a link if they have it

http://www.sei.ie/Your_Building/BER/BER_FAQ/FAQ_BER/Assessors/BER_Examination_Specimen_Paper.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭No6

Any sign of where & when you can do it yet, it was supposed to start in june, its now nearly july free till the end of august, it probably wouln't start till september!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Sounds like the Lisbon Treaty referendum!
    sydthebeat wrote: »
    nope, you can keep doing the exam until you pass.....

Its now available, here part of the email I just got
    Booking the DBER Exam

You can book your DBER exam online by selecting the link www.sei.ie/ber/DBER Alternatively, you can book through our dedicated call centre on 1890 340 128 or by posting an application form to SEI Bookings PO Box 788, Togher, Cork. You will need your Exam Eligibility Number above to book an examination. Our goal is that every candidate will be offered an appointment in their preferred exam centre location within 15 days of their preferred exam date. Candidates with special requirements should contact SEI at on 1890 252 738 before making a reservation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

The test centers are the same as the Driver Theory test centers, so they will know sweet fa about BER. I thought you could do as many free tests as you wanted until the end of August, as least that's what I thought I heard at the SEI seminar, must check my notes.

• Advertisement

As far as I can figure out you book the test and pay for it and SEI will refund you for one test only!!!, I think I heard you could do the test as many time as you needed for free before september although in fairness once should be enough for anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭CCR

Did the exam today, handy enough and very similar to the sample paper on the SEI website. Was the only one doing it, the rest of the people there were doing Driver Theory Test.

I was only the second person to sit it in that centre.

Did you pass CCR?

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭CCR

Yeah, passed alright. They give you the results straight away.

There is absolutely no need for doing a course before doing this exam, it's easily finished in an hour and 70 per cent of the answers are directly out of the documents they provide.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Mossyfields

the ber association has distributed 9 test papers and they are spot on, if you know a member they might give you a copy.So there are plenty of sample questions out there, no need for course. I also notice some of the people who passed the exam have posted actual questions on the ber site in the members section.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭SilverBER

I also notice some of the people who passed the exam have posted actual questions on the ber site in the members section.

In direct contravention of the Code of Conduct.
    I did the exam yesterday and passed it okay (not particularly difficult to pass in fact) I cant see how anyone could not pass. What disturbed me was the man in the test centre at reception. He used to be a builder and he commented on how unregulated the BER system is. When I had completed the exam he handed me the result sheet and wished me good luck with the most sincere look of sympathy I have ever been subjected to. Depressed me for the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Mossyfields

SilverBER wrote: »
    In direct contravention of the Code of Conduct.

Well done SilverBER on passing,:D
    But I disagree, firstly, there is no code of conduct, there is a "code of practice" and sharing information dose not breach the code of practice. ;). I passed the exam comfortable just missing the 100% and the gentleman at the test centre was very complimentry. I wish the exam had been closed book and less time, however i still believe it will reduce the number of registered assessors by about 25%......

• Registered Users Posts: 23,260 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Ok, so if I wanted to become a BER assessor, what involved now?
    Do I just pass this multiple choice test & pay a fee to SEI, then start operating?

But I disagree, firstly, there is no code of conduct, there is a "code of practice" and sharing information dose not breach the code of practice. ;).

Congratulations on passing to you too Mossyfields. Bad luck on missing out on the 100%, though. When you sign up for the exam, however, there is a line in there that says you are undertaking not to divulge the content of the exam.
    However, I agree that, at this stage of the game, the exam should be closed book and should be allotted no more than an hour. I completed mine in less than 40 minutes and I am certainly no brainbox. I fail to see how anyone could fail it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 bigfeet

Hiya SilverBER,

Well done on passing !!! Hope you're over your depression !!! Are the testing locations easy to find, i cant seem to find this on the site ... where do you take your test ?

BF

;61147701]In direct contravention of the Code of Conduct.
    I did the exam yesterday and passed it okay (not particularly difficult to pass in fact) I cant see how anyone could not pass. What disturbed me was the man in the test centre at reception. He used to be a builder and he commented on how unregulated the BER system is. When I had completed the exam he handed me the result sheet and wished me good luck with the most sincere look of sympathy I have ever been subjected to. Depressed me for the day.[/quote]

• Advertisement

I did mine in Santry at a unit in the Northwood Complex. I got it on the SEI site. There is an option to choose your location.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 shyler

Hi
    Did BER exam only got 64% so thats that. I have not done any ber assessments at all and the only reason I am doing this is because I have to justify spending all that money its making me sick to be honest. Can I ask someone how many ac/h is the upper level is it 10 or 20? I did great in some areas and in 2 areas got 45 and 46% made me sick to be honest has anyone any suggestions please. I do not want to have to repeat a third time. I did the sample questions and know a few of them I got wrong. Any advice anywhere please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Not getting much practice with the DEAP software puts you at a disadvantage in the exam unfortunately.

Hi
    Thanks for the reply yes it does. Do you anywhere I could see more exam questions I have a good grasp of things but the way the questions are put is hard to decifer. Can you offer any assistance.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭BERmad

Most of the answers are in the DEAP manual. If you take your time and look through that in the exam you should come fairly close to passing. For the rest of the questions they are questions you would know the answer to if you were active. Mayb Just get a couple sets of plans and just pratice doing assesments. At least your 1st attempt was free.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭topcatcbr

There is no need to prepare for this exam. It is a farce. I am no genius I did no revision didnt even read any of the prep Qs on sei site. I went on the beer big time last night and was seedy as hell going into test today. I still got 90%. It is a complete joke a waste of time. If you can read you can pass this exam. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

TC - but you have forgotten more than most of us have learnt :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭tmdsurvey

Hello all,

I am sitting the exam on wednesday and got 90% when I did the specimen paper but there was a bit of (educated) quesswork in there. A few sneaky questions I thought.

Would anybody have any other 'mock' or 'specimen' papers that they might pass onto me as I think a bit more 'exam condition' practice would not go astray?

Cheers

t

topcatcbr wrote: »
    There is no need to prepare for this exam. It is a farce. I am no genius I did no revision didnt even read any of the prep Qs on sei site. I went on the beer big time last night and was seedy as hell going into test today. I still got 90%. It is a complete joke a waste of time. If you can read you can pass this exam. :mad:

lol.... :D

you didnt look too bad yesterday....

id agree with you.... i got 86% with little or no prep work. I did look through the specimen paper and about 5 questions from it came up... but they were ones i would have known anyway...

i must admit though, some of the questions are worded kind of weird...
    one, which i cant remember what it was about, gave the 4 option but (d) was "any of the above"...

so if (a) (b) or (c) was correct then there would be two correct answers...
    if all 3 were correct then it there was no way of answering.....

weird....

• Advertisement

Hi
    Can anyone give any tips on where more exam questions can be found.
    thanks

Advertisement