Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

In the Noc-Light: Kharn

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Nursy

Ah! Vraiment! C'est nouveau ca!:pac:

1) Ou as tu appris le francais?

2) Do you speak any other known languages?

3) Favourite French Food?

Kharn wrote: »
    Most interesting thing I learned was that I still can speak some French with a reasonable degree of accuracy :)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

How do you take your steak? Burnt to a crisp or bloody as hell?

whats your favourite jimmy bond movie?

favourite jimmy bond bad guy and why?

Favourite book?

Favourite movie?

Favourite book to movie adaptation?

Favourite comedian?

Do you get annoyed with these "what is your favourite...." questions?

1) Medium rare

2) Either The World Is Not Enough or The Man With The Golden Gun

3) It's either Scaramanga or Elliot Carver. Scaramanga cause he's a real bad-ass, but is willing to put himself at risk in the tests against others and Carver cause he shows how powerful a media mogul with major brain malfunction can be and it mirrors society a lot!

4) Honestly not sure, I'd have to say it's either Iain M. Banks' Player of Games or Terry Prachett's Guards! Guards!

5) Star Wars

6) I'm actually quite a fan of the Harry Potter films as I feel they more or less get the story right.

7) Billy Connolly or Bill Bailey

8) Just a bit :p

I'll answer more later on folks, I have a lot of work to catch up on (back in the office today) and had band practice till late last night so couldn't get any answered then.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Would you consider yourself a Berserker?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

Hmm, on the subject of Berserkers...

What's your favourite kind of Viking?

Jomsvikings, what was there deal?

Is the whole death metal, black metal lark so many Scandies get into a result of the niceness forced upon them after the whole Viking silliness... Cos all the Scandies I've known were either exceptionally polite friendly and nice or borderline psychotics with long hair, beards and muscles. They do make the women differently...

koth wrote: »
    Any type of music that you don't like??

If you were a super-powered animal, what animal would you be and what powers would you have??

Who would you like to hit in the face with a large fish??

If you could have your band tour with any 2 bands, which bands would you pick??

Mighty Mouse or Batfink?? :P

OK, since it's quick...

1) There are some genres of music that I find hard to listen to - Country & Western probably being the biggest offender. But every genre has it's moments and members of brilliance (Johnny Cash being a perfect example when you're talking Country).

As an aside to this, I don't consider anything produced by the Simon Cowells and Louis Walshes of the world to be music. It is radio friendly noise that panders to morons who aren't willing to invest any time in understanding music and brain washes children into believing this is what music is about - getting on the telly and making bad versions of good songs. They will be amongst the first against the wall when my revolution comes.

2) I can't say I've ever given that much thought, but I guess it'd be some sorta big cat with lasers, super-speed and shielding :)

3) George W Bush.

4) Chumbawamba and Shellac

5) Mighty Mouse, although Batfink's wings were like a shield of steel...

• Advertisement

Sparky wrote: »
    Anywhere in the world you would love to move and live in, where would you choose and why?

Do you like floods? :P

1) Probably France cause as I mentioned I've always found it to be a chilled out and very lovely looking place. If not there, then somewhere cold and maybe up a mountain, but I'd need internets. No matter where I lived, I'd need internets.

2) Floods of what? Tears, no. Hawt wiminz? Yes... ;)

Do you say thank you for the music, the songs they're singing?:pac:

I'm saying thanks for all the joy they're bringing! Who can live without it, I ask in all honesty? What would life be? Without a song or a dance what are we?

Metallers...

Favourite / best / funniest memories of WestEros Galway? :)

There were a lot of *very* nefarious nights that dare not be mentioned and put on public record, but one of the funniest moments was, during a GalwayLAN at some daft hour, we had retired to my flat (just down the road from the venue) for a session for the evening. There was much merriment and consumption of powerful drinks and one of the lads had fallen asleep on the chair. The time came for us all to grab a few hours kip and I was waking Ronan up to give him the comfy chair to sleep in. Bear in mind, he'd passed into the realm of deep sleep at this stage. This wild eyed and fearful creature answered my awakening of him with a shaky and quiet voice saying only 5 words... "I was at a LAN."

The humour of this doesn't translate well into text, I guess you had to be there, but everyone who witnessed it still talks of it as one of the most uniquely hilarious events they have ever witnessed. That has nothing to do with the copious amounts of Buckfast and Red Bull consumed at the time though... ;)

Do you have an interest in politics?

How many musical instruments can you play?

Cake or death?

If you were a Pokemon what type would you be?

If you could invite 5 guests (dead or living) to a dinner party, who would they be?

Are you happy with the way The Nocturnal Forum has progressed over the last year? Any regrets about supporting it from day 1? :P

Do you approve of the proposal to rename The Lair and change it to "The Barn of Kharn"?
    EDIT: Just noticed your surname. How about "The Waldron Cauldron"? :pac:

1) My father was highly active in politics (The Taoiseach's aide-du-comp was at his funeral as he was out of the country at the time as well as a few ministers, many TDs and an uncountable number of councilers and party members from all sides - my dad was a staunchly FG man). This seemed to me to cause a lot of tension with neighbours etc and so I never understood why and was very turned off the whole idea of politics. In later years as I became angrier at the world around me, I learned that there's very little I can do to change the outcome of the political landscape of Ireland by myself - that's part of what J-Cloth (my band) is about too. I do vote, I don't believe you have the right to complain about the system if you don't at least fulfil your duty to it.

2) I currently play the guitar and I'm a singer. I can play bass too and when I was in school, I played the recorder (surely the greatest instrument known to man) :) I got a gift of a harmonica for my birthday which I've been tinkering with too.

3) CAEK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111111111one

4) Probably Snorlax :D

5) Bill Hicks, Neil Gaimen, Jesus, Cleopatra and Homer (as in the writer of the Iliad, not Simpson).

6) More or less. I'm delighted at the sense of community spirit we all have here and feel I've made really good friends with some. I do wish however that some of our more vanilla posters would at least try to meet us half-way with things like the darker "cultural" stuff. Listen to some dark music or try to get your head around the ideas we were talking about in the (much hyped, but damp squib) Role-Playing thread.

7) I don't see any need to rename the Lair at all. People are so worked up about this mega-threads issue. We've had to close big threads before and things went on. It's not like we want to delete these threads, just start a new on so there's nothing to worry about database wise (and currently there isn't, but we're thinking long term here). They'll still be there and nothing will change.

Nursy wrote: »
    Ah! Vraiment! C'est nouveau ca!:pac:

1) Ou as tu appris le francais?

2) Do you speak any other known languages?

3) Favourite French Food?

Salut Nursy :)

1) 6 years of it in secondary school and a semester of it in first year of college.

2) A bit of Irish, wish I knew more of it. Would also like to learn the basics in some other languages too - I seem to get on well enough learning languages, so it'd be no harm. Ideally Polish, Mandarin, German and Spanish. Quite a mouthful there, but I'd definitely end up as some manner of cunning linguist ;)

3) I frakin LOVE French bread. As I said earlier, I'm very conservative with my food tastes, but man I could eat French breads and pastries all day :D

• Advertisement

Galvasean wrote: »
    Would you consider yourself a Berserker?

I'm definitely part Beserker, my temper is fierce (more of a flat out rage really) but thankfully not as quick to rise as it used to be.

Also:

Hmm, on the subject of Berserkers...

What's your favourite kind of Viking?

Jomsvikings, what was there deal?

Is the whole death metal, black metal lark so many Scandies get into a result of the niceness forced upon them after the whole Viking silliness... Cos all the Scandies I've known were either exceptionally polite friendly and nice or borderline psychotics with long hair, beards and muscles. They do make the women differently...

I don't know anything about different kinds of Vikings I'm afraid - just flicked through the Wiki entry for Jomsvikings and I certainly don't feel like I could form an opinion based on just that :)

Metal and especially the more extreme stuff like Death and Black that the Scandies seem to dig is a great outlet for aggression. Such things were in their blood for a while and that whole lots of darkness for most of the year thing's gotta have some sort of impact on the psyche.

They do make women differently though, that's true :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭banshee_bones

Oasis or Blur ! :D

• Moderators Posts: 51,713 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

1) worst job you ever had??

2) jetpack or submarine??

3) favourite alien species from tv/ movie??

If you can read this, you're too close!

Oasis or Blur ! :D

Used to be Oasis, now it's definitely Blur :)

mmmmmmmmmmm baa baa mmmmm baa baa, baa baa mmmmm baa mmmmm baa baa
    Well everybody's heard about the blurd,
    Blur blur blur, the blurd is the word...
    I said a the blur blur blur, the blurd is the word...

etc ;)

koth wrote: »
    1) worst job you ever had??

2) jetpack or submarine??

3) favourite alien species from tv/ movie??

1) I've been fortunate enough to have never had any real *awful* jobs, but I've had some unplesant ones. Being a Night Porter in a hotel isn't plesant - cleaning toilets after a Christmas party and dealing with the general retardedness that is the drunken public. All these things were bad but it wasn't a bad job if you get my meaning.

The worst job I've ever had was as a software developer when I lived in Galway. There was nothing wrong with the company or the job (quite the opposite infact), but it was very 1 tracked and unfulfilling for someone like me who needs to have an element of creativity in everything they do and I honestly hated going into work in the mornings to have to face the monotony of things again. Didn't help with the depression etc.

2) I think a Jetpack, but a submarine isn't without it's charms...

3) Great question :D

The Viking/Beserker in me is drawn to warrior caste alien types such as Yautja/Predators, Klingons, Jaffa or even Warhammer 40k Orcs to an extent.

The nerd in me loves species like the Mentats in Dune or the Binars that appeared in Star Trek Next Gen.

In terms of sheer coolness, I'd say the Xenomorphs from the Aliens series and humanity from the Iain M. Banks Culture series (cause they are so far removed from what we are as humans now they may as well be).

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 21,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭entropi

Not many here to add, but still:

1. Have you ever had a serious accident?

2. Lyons or Barry's?

3. Best ever memory?

4. How has (specifically) Boards and the Nocturnal Forum influenced your life?

Not many here to add, but still:

1. Have you ever had a serious accident?

2. Lyons or Barry's?

3. Best ever memory?

4. How has (specifically) Boards and the Nocturnal Forum influenced your life?

1) There's a scar on my chin from when I tripped on a kerb when I was 7 and split myself open on my Smurfs lunch box. Was serious enough to require general anesthetic for the stiching up. That's been the only semi serious thing that's ever happened to me. Broke a knuckle at a gig once (punching my mate in the knee by accident as he was about to jump on top of me), only time I have ever broken a bone.

2) LYONS OF COURSE!

3) Did this one already, but it's playing my first gig with my first band. Awesome stuff.

4) It's where a lot of my friends live :) Boards has gotten me jobs, places to live, life long friends, girlfriends and now a job which dream come true stuff for me. Outside of that, it's a place where I can talk about the things that interest me and I know that the conversation will be as valuable/enjoyable/serious/educational as I want it to be. It's has taught me to be a beter thinker and to learn how to see the other side of an arguement.

The Noc Forum specifically expands on some of that - I love how close knit our gang is here but that we're always open to new people coming along. Also, having a good understanding of how this newer breed of boardsie "ticks" and what the changing expectations of the site are was useful to me when I was interviewing for the job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

How was Enslaved at Hellfest?

Pacino or DeNiro?

Walkers or Tayto?

Do you know what the Jazz is all about?

How was Enslaved at Hellfest?

Pacino or DeNiro?

Walkers or Tayto?

Do you know what the Jazz is all about?

1) Saturday was my day of rest as I'd done my foot in on the Thursday night cause I was wearing shoes with no support on a surface that was very uneven and rocky. Walking around on Friday really made it bad and it really needed rest. So as a result I missed them :( My mates said they were excellent though, so I am all the more determined to go see them some other time.

2) Al Pacino pips it for me for his work in Ocean's 13 (Willy Banks made me laugh a lot) and Scent of a Woman (who-aah).

3) Tayto > all.

4) I do, but I can't share it with you all - they important thing is that you need to discover it for yourself.

• Advertisement

OK, last night of this, any last questions people?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Desert Island. 5 games, 5 albums, 5 movies, 1 guitar. Go!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Apple or Orange?

Red or blue?

Wolf or Lion?

Snooker or tennis?

what colour socks are you wearing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

In your opinion, has Jim Carey lost it? When I say "lost it" I mean talent.:pac:

SDooM wrote: »
    Desert Island. 5 games, 5 albums, 5 movies, 1 guitar. Go!

Oh you bollix! :p

OK, games: Ikaruga, Bejewelled, One of the Tiger Woods games, Soul Calibur (of some description) and Quake 3 Arena (cause it has the best bots and I can't see myself doing much multiplayer on an Island) :)

Albums: Deftones - White Pony, Raging Speedhorn - We Will Be Dead Tomorrow, Mastodon - Remission, Pig Destroyer - Terrorifyer, Dragonforce - Valley Of The Damned

Guitar: If I'm on an island, then some manner of 12 String acoustic so I can easily bring it with me wherever :)

Kharn wrote: »
    Oh you bollix! :p

OK, games: Ikaruga, Bejewelled, One of the Tiger Woods games, Soul Calibur (of some description) and Quake 3 Arena (cause it has the best bots and I can't see myself doing much multiplayer on an Island) :)

Albums: Deftones - White Pony, Raging Speedhorn - We Will Be Dead Tomorrow, Mastodon - Remission, Pig Destroyer - Terrorifyer, Dragonforce - Valley Of The Damned

Guitar: If I'm on an island, then some manner of 12 String acoustic so I can easily bring it with me wherever :)

Hey No shortcuts! I want Movie tidbits!

star-pants wrote: »
    Apple or Orange?

Red or blue?

Wolf or Lion?

Snooker or tennis?

what colour socks are you wearing?

1) Apple

2) Red

3) Very tough one actually. I love big cats, but wolves (especially 3 of them and on a shirt!) are awesome. I think Lion though.

4) Love both, not very good at either, but Tennis would take it for me.

5) A sort of beigey/fawny affair.

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    In your opinion, has Jim Carey lost it? When I say "lost it" I mean talent.:pac:

I don't know tbh, I haven't seen him in anything recently. I think he's a good actor as well as comedian though. Let me go find a few recent films of his and come back to you :D

Moonbaby wrote: »
    Hey No shortcuts! I want Movie tidbits!

*facepalm*

I forgot the movies!

Withnail & I, The Big Lebowski, All the Star Wars (and I'm making that 1 choice and frak anyone who interferes with me!), Dune and The Rocky Horror Picture Show.

• Advertisement

Do you have any pets?

What is the greatest sense of accomplishment that you have ever expierenced?

Who did you vote for in the last general election? (Yes I am exceptionally rude :D)

Best meal you remember in lurid detail?

One annoying habit that you would like to lose?

Your favorite place in the world?

Your favorite place in Dublin?

Does the homeland have any redeeming features? Can you see yourself going back?

What do you not get that everyone else seem to?

Michael Jackson. Tragic loss or best thing that ever happened to his babies?

What is your usual in the Chinese?

Top 5 totty?

Can you keep a secret?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement