Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer/Autumn Goals

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Gringo78

Sept 11th

8.5 miles easy @ avg pace 7:23. Threw in 2 x 1 miles in the middle at 6:20 pace, my predicted race pace for sundays HM and heart was 168 which is spot on. With the better sleep over the weekend and the racing flats on I'm feeling a little bit more confident about going sub 1:23. Haven't lost as much pace as I had thought over the holidays and haven't piled on too many pounds either.

Gringo78 wrote: »
    With the better sleep over the weekend and the racing flats on I'm feeling a little bit more confident about going sub 1:23. Haven't lost as much pace as I had thought over the holidays and haven't piled on too many pounds either.

That confidence left me roundabout 7.5 miles into the race after the steep downhill section when I realised I would struggle to hold 6:30 pace and certainly had no chance of dropping the pace down to 6:15.
    I didn't drop off the pace too much up to the 9 mile marker but shortly after that I kinda threw in the towel running 06:54, 07:16, 07:12, 07:44 for the last 4 miles. Kinda just thought I had blown any chance of a time I would have been happy with so didn't have the heart to put the effort in. Heart rate was down to 161 avg for the 13th mile showing I had completely taken the foot off the pedal. Ran the last 0.11 miles at 6min mile pace but that was more an easy stride towards the line than any sort of sprint. Tisnotover passed me somewhere around mile 10?? I think, I briefly thought about joining his group but I wouldn't have been able for their pace at that stage, he ended up holding it together till the end and running a great time. I finished with 1:30:02 which while certainly respectable (and a PB), was a long way off my aim at the start line.

I had started out at a good pace and felt ok but I think the lack of running since Ballycotton 5 had taken more out of me than I had thought. Looking back on things, my last interval session was 4 weeks ago and my last tempo session was 3.5 weeks ago, I had very little running in the last 3 weeks (and had lots of eating and drinking on holidays) so I was far too ambitious on my time target but that said, I'm glad I did aim for it as I learned a few things, and reinforced a few others and as my main aim in the waterford half in December I know I have another shot at this coming up. Taking my foot off the pedal early yesterday also means I'm grand today, no ill effects from the race and should be able to get straight back into the training.

Plan to run in the Cork to Cobh 15 mile in 3 weeks time so should be able to get back on track with 3 good weeks training. Will see after that race if I am being too ambitious on racetimes in general on the longer distances. I'll put this one down to lack of running over the last few weeks though and I think I should have fully shaken off the cobwebs in 3 weeks time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

Congrats on the PB Gringo...1:30:02 is a very good time.
    Just shows that if you dont have consistency in training,its very difficult to meet the times your head tells you ,you should do.
    i'm sure that 3 weeks good training will see a further improvement at the Cork to Cobh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Nice PB Gringo so don't be too hard on yourself, no doubt you can go quicker, the 1/2 in Waterford in December could be a nice target for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭tisnotover

Tisnotover passed me somewhere around mile 10?? I think, I briefly thought about joining his group but I wouldn't have been able for their pace at that stage, he ended up holding it together till the end and running a great time. I finished with 1:30:02 which while certainly respectable (and a PB), was a long way off my aim at the start line.[/font]

Great improvement all same from your last PB for the distance lad.

As you said, the half in Waterford was the real race to target that time, and no doubt by following the half plan again, you'll get there.
    Your tempo runs were by far more consistent than mine all along, especially over the longer distance, and I think your right in that the hols disrupting your training had a knock on effect yesterday.

I wouldn't be surprised at all, in 3wks time that you pass through the 13.1mile mark, a lot lot faster than ya finished yesterday.

• Advertisement

Sept 14th

3.5 miles easy @avg pace 7:40, avg HR 140. No twinges from yesterday so might try an interval session tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭another world

Well, bad luck on not reaching your target time but congrats on getting a very respectable time nonetheless. It´s amazing how quickly the resistence leaves you but you´ll have it back in no time whatsoever. 3 weeks is plenty...

One thing I forgot to note was I ran in the Asics DS racers which I had only used twice before, once in a 5k race and once in a 5 mile race. Found them no trouble over the HM distance and suffered no blisters which was good. I will also use them over the 15 mile Cork to Cobh distance. Train in DS trainers.

Sept 15th

Interval session today. Had only a short amount of time for the run so decided to do 5x0.25mile @ 5:45 pace with same time rep recovery so rep time should be 86sec. Did 6 reps (HR in brackets) - 84(158)/86(161)/85(165)/85(164)/86(165)/86(169). HR didn't go too high but did feel tough but happy enough with the session.

total: 3.6 miles avg pace 6:50, avg HR 157

5.3 miles easy @ avg pace 7:13. Avg HR 148. Fully over the HM and will do a tempo run tomorrow.

• Advertisement

Plan was for 4 mile tempo run @ 6:20 pace. 2.5 mile warmup then 6:20 / 6:19 / 6:19 / 6:19. HR avg was 165 / 169 / 171 / 172

Found it tough going today and wouldn't have been able for much more today but good to get the session in this week.

Total 6.85 miles @ avg pace 6:54, avg HR 159

In an effort to bring more quality runs into my limited amount of time available for training, I did an easy progression run today which according to McMillan doesn't take too much out of me and can be done on an easy day and yet gives an extra 10-15min training per week in the Stamina range. Had me convinced anyways. Run today was a 'thirds' progression, 45min split in 3, start off nice and easy for 15min, then 15min a little faster, then 15min at MP.

Mile Splits were: 7:17 (133) 7:18 (145) 7:08 (157) 7:03 (153) 6:43 (161) 6:43 (168)

Total 6.22 miles avg pace 7:04, avg HR 152

Felt very easy apart from the 2 miles at MP (which were fine) and overall felt like an easy run afterwards so I'm sold on this one if it turns out to be more beneficial than say a straight 6 mile run @7:15 pace which is what I would have done normally done.

Sept 19th

6 miles easy @avg pace 7:42, avg HR 149

Ran 7 days in a row from the HM which I hadn't done in a long long time so took a break on Sunday but was back running yesterday evening at a club training session.

Session was simple...300m fast with 40-60sec jog recovery after each. Did 13 reps avg pace 5:30, did the last 3 in 5:08, 4:48, 4:38 pace. Session wasn't hard as the recovery's were generous but twas good to get a bit of pace back in the legs.

Total: 4 miles

An easy thirds progression run, 1 mile @7:36, 1 @ 7:40, 0.5 @7:27, 1@ 7:11, 1 @ 6:49 (171), 0.25 @ 6:42 (168), 0.11 cooldown. MP pace mile and a quarter was into a strong breeze so HR was a little higher than friday.

Total 4.9 miles @ avg pace 7:20, avg HR 154.

2.5 miles easy @avg pace 7:06, avg HR 142. Paused in the middle of the run as met people I knew so HR a little lower than should be for avg pace. Run was short because of being stopped talking too much!

Plan today to do 5 mile tempo run @ 6:15 pace

Plan was 5 miles tempo @6:15 pace. Splits were 6:17 (155) / 6:23 (167) / 6:15 (173) / 6:09 (170) / 6:10 (178), Avg Split pace 6:15.

Total: 7.1 miles, avg pace 6:38, avg HR 163

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭asimonov

Plan was 5 miles tempo @6:15 pace. Splits were 6:17 (155) / 6:23 (167) / 6:15 (173) / 6:09 (170) / 6:10 (178), Avg Split pace 6:15.

Total: 7.1 miles, avg pace 6:38, avg HR 163

good going gringo, nice workout.

asimonov wrote: »
    good going gringo, nice workout.

Thanks. Tempo sessions, when you hit your target, leave you feeling very positive. Yesterdays final 2 miles were into the wind so felt great afterwards.

4.1 miles easy @avg pace 7:40, avg HR 147. Kept this run simple, no progressions or anything as I was tired from yesterdays tempo.

• Advertisement

Plan was 6x1km @ 5:50 pace with half the rep time jog recovery (108sec recovery jog).

Paces for splits were 5:48 (157) / 5:48 (165) / 5:47 (170) / 5:53 (172) 5:54 (175). Gave up 300m into 6th rep.

Total: 6 miles avg pace 6:52, avg HR 157.

Happy overall as I wasn't confident of holding that pace even for 3 reps and even though I gave up on the 6th rep, it was probably my best interval session so far.

ure in flying form later lad, nice interval session there yest.

thanks for advice on tempo run, see ya sun morn!

tisnotover wrote: »
    thanks for advice on tempo run, see ya sun morn!

Looks unlikely I will run Sunday...hence i didn't take my own advice on the order of tempo/interval this week! Moving house this weekend so no time for running! Next race therefore will be the considerably shorter East Cork 3km series....although i am looking forward to testing what real pace i have in my legs. 10:54 was my PB from last years 3km races and I think i should be easily able to improve on that.

congrats on new house lad, busy time ahead so for ye!!

mite get down to do a couple of those 3k's myself, need to get into proper speedwork again, feel I mite have lost a bit of pace lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

Looks unlikely I will run Sunday...hence i didn't take my own advice on the order of tempo/interval this week! Moving house this weekend so no time for running! Next race therefore will be the considerably shorter East Cork 3km series....although i am looking forward to testing what real pace i have in my legs. 10:54 was my PB from last years 3km races and I think i should be easily able to improve on that.

Good workouts from you gringo,good strong tempos and intervals,well done.
    When and where are these 5k races ?

Sosa wrote: »
    Good workouts from you gringo,good strong tempos and intervals,well done.
    When and where are these 5k races ?

3km race series organised by East Cork AC in ballinacurra, just by the midleton roundabout at the start of the dual carraigeway midleton-cork road. Its a 1km lap 3 times and its actually quite tough, steep little hill 3 times which takes it out of you severely if you sprint too fast up it. Starts Oct 13th and then its every 3rd tuesday at 19:30. No prizes or anything but its timed, officially measured course, big clock at the finish line, results emailed to you within 24hrs, very well organised series and great to keep you going throughout the winter.

4 miles easy @ avg pace 7:44, avg HR 144. One tough hill thrown in also.

Plan was 5.5 miles tempo at 6:15 pace.

Splits were 6:13 (161) / 6:16 (172) / 6:11 (175) / 6:06 (174) / 6:16 (178) / 6:15 (179). 5.5 miles in 34:08, Avg pace 6:12

Total: 7.1 miles avg pace 6:33, avg HR 168

Very happy with todays tempo, ran comfortably and consistently and easily my best tempo so far.

Very happy with todays tempo, ran comfortably and consistently and easily my best tempo so far.

well done, your really after getting the hang of these longer tempo runs, last weeks one was spot on as well, fair play!

• Advertisement

4 miles easy at avg pace 7:39, avg HR 146

Advertisement