Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why are Dublin Bus shelters made of glass

Options
  • 23-06-2009 9:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43

CAN ANYONE EXPLAIN WHY MOST OF DUBLIN BUS SHELTERS ARE MADE OF GLASS. I AM A REGULAR USER OF DUBLIN BUS AND IT ANNOYS ME TO SEE HOW MANY OF THESE SHELTERS ARE SMASHED, REPLACED WITH GLASS AND SMASHED AGAIN, SURE IT IS NOT CHEAP TO REPLACE THESES LARGE PAINS OF GLASS ESPECIALLY DURING A RECESSION. HAVE SEEN THIS HAPPENING IN ALL AREAS,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

Why do some people only use CAPITAL LETTERS?

By being of glass you can see into shelters and this prevents other anti-social behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Some use cheap perspex instead which they all should instead of proper glass which is a big hazzard when smashed. If they want to use glass, they should use laminated glass that holds together when broken.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 DANG333

Sorry for the caps.
    Well do you not think a bus shelter made of glass encourages anti- social behavour, like putting a red rag to a bull!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭vms7ply9t6dw4b

They use glass because it doesnt go on fire, which is probablly what the thugs would do if they couldnt smash it. Wonder why they dont use tempered glass? Does that not meet H&S guidelines for shattering etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭wylo

The ones in limerick use safety glass at least,(is that tempered glass? I dont know). I would have asked the same question, but yes, preventing fires i think is alot more important I suppose than a bit of broken glass in fairness

• Advertisement

There has to be something durable and less expensuve in this day and age. Im sure the people who have the contract to repair theses shelters hate to hear another shelter is broken!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,885 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

DANG333 wrote: »
    Sorry for the caps.
    Well do you not think a bus shelter made of glass encourages anti- social behavour, like putting a red rag to a bull!!

what? its the bus shelters fault there are hoards of idiots who have no self-control and no sense of personal responsibility

FFS what next instead of tackling the issue

My point there is that there is always goin to be people who will vandilise , but most bus stops outside the city with glass can be in quite areas, and having them made out of glass is just to tempting and easy to destroy. Have broken windows in my house and it aint cheap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭BroomBurner

Bus shelters in Norway are very pretty, and different in each area. Ireland could do something like that. Pretty much all of them are wooden, resemble tiny sheds with no front, have little benches and bins and most have grass, etc. growing on the top.

Can Ireland really have something that pretty though? Are we really that shameful that anything aesthetically pleasing would be destroyed?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Fat_Fingers

Nah, shelters like that would be set on fire in Ireland. We have too many tugs and scumbags roaming streets looking to destroy something, anything. Those young tugs have a no pride and respect of their place. And dont start me on idiots who destroy newly planted trees

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Its just like how some traffic lights don't have grills on them.

I pass traffic lights every day and almost every week they are smashed. Same analogy as to why don't they put grills on them like in some other areas?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Spudmonkey

What the hell is wrong with somepeople, why do they take some sick pleasure in destroying things??

There is always goin to be people like this, but we shouldnt make it so easy for them. End of the day its the tax payer who pays the bill.
    How many buses could we buy if a solution to this problem was found

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Moving from Politics->Irish Economy to Commuting & Transport

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

gurramok wrote: »
    Its just like how some traffic lights don't have grills on them.

I pass traffic lights every day and almost every week they are smashed. Same analogy as to why don't they put grills on them like in some other areas?

Because the grilles cost money and in most areas, they actually aren't needed. I drive tens of thousands of kilometres a year and rarely see smashed traffic lights - if ever, these days.

In less desirable areas; and those filled with students, they generally use perspex in bus shelters. Otherwise they use glass as it looks better, can have the logo of the advertising company that erects the shelter etched in to it, much harder to deface (bar smashing, of course) and doesn't discolour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Two words, AD VERTISING.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,932 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Had the cheap perspex shelters where I used to live in Cork. You'd often see the plastic half melted through from scumbags trying to set them on fire, not to mention the graffiti.

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Registered Users Posts: 78,290 ✭✭✭✭Victor

End of the day its the tax payer who pays the bill.
    Not really. Most bus shelters are owned by private companies who make their money from advertising. Some in Dublin are owned by the city council, who again make their money from advertising. Perspex burns and glass can be broken. Meshes will eventually corrode and in any case don't block the wind.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭emperor_krunchy

same with Telephone boxes
    they should invent something for this sorta thing :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭robbie_998

they do it so the kiddies wont go around beaten up the oul ladies !!!

and then again it keeps the glass company in business with government money !!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

robbie_998 wrote: »
    and then again it keeps the glass company in business with government money !!!

The government doesn't own the vast majority of the bus shelters. They're owned by Clear Channel/Adshel for the most part.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭robbie_998

MYOB wrote: »
    The government doesn't own the vast majority of the bus shelters. They're owned by Clear Channel/Adshel for the most part.

no i know that but Dublin bus pays for shelters but we pay for busses !
    so in a way its government money

robbie_998 wrote: »
    no i know that but Dublin bus pays for shelters but we pay for busses !
    so in a way its government money

No, Dublin Bus does not pay for bus shelters. You "know" wrong.

Bus shelters are paid for and maintained by the advertising they carry and are owned by either Clear Channel/Adshel or Dublin City Council. Neither of them put them up out of the goodness of their heart, its a commercial enterprise.

And I've just noticed I'm the second person who's had to explain this in this thread! Our esteemed moderator being the other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

Sorry for the caps.

You do know Bulls are colour blind right? They actually just go after the moving object.

Now taking your example of the Bull. No matter what you put there it will be vandalised.

Glass - smashed
    Plastic - kicked out etc etc etc

And as two people have mentioned the advertising companies put them up, maintain them and make money out of them. So its in their best interests to keep fixing them. Im sure the money they make in advertising is enough to look after these shelters. In fact taking that example of recession they are creating more work so

bus shelter = money
    broken bus shelter = loss of money
    fixing bus shelter = creates another job keeping someone in a job
    Fixed Bus shelter generates revenue again.

win/win :D

ps im not condoning vandals may they all sliced open by broken bus shelter glass.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Zoney

It is of course wasted money all the same though - where do private companies ultimately get their money from? Us.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,475 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

A lot of the ones in my area used to be plactic and just got set on fire the whole time. now they are all safety glass and get smashed all the time. just can't win no matter what they do...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

There's a glass phone box on University Road in Galway which gets smashed every other week. I wouldn't mind but it's quite a nice area, not rough at all. Also, I don't know why they keep repairing it because nobody uses pay phones these days. They should just remove it.

Smashed bus shelters are quite rare here thankfully.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

MYOB wrote: »
    Because the grilles cost money and in most areas, they actually aren't needed. I drive tens of thousands of kilometres a year and rarely see smashed traffic lights - if ever, these days.

In less desirable areas; and those filled with students, they generally use perspex in bus shelters. Otherwise they use glass as it looks better, can have the logo of the advertising company that erects the shelter etched in to it, much harder to deface (bar smashing, of course) and doesn't discolour.

The set i pass every day are always smashed at least once a month after they are fixed. This is going on for years.

Is it cheaper to keep replacing them or put grills on them?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

ps im not condoning vandals may they all sliced open by broken bus shelter glass.

Would be funny and hopefully teach them a lesson.

But I can just imagine them suing the council and winning the case because shatter-proof glass was not used... :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭crushproof

Jeez, I've never seen a smashed traffic light!

Advertisement