Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bonfire Night

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭NoDice

Bonfire night in the UK started over 100 years ago and it was all thanks to Guy Fawkes! Iirc, on the 5th November Catholic conspriators had a plan to place gunpowder directly under the House of Lords in a plot to kill the King. Guy Fawkes was found near the gun powder as he was placing it and was arrested. The only reason the King ordered the search is because the conspirators were afraid there were going to be other Catholics in the House of Lords on that day and so sent a letter to one of them. This letter in turn was shown to the King and voila! :)

Now it's celebrated every year over.

I think it was mandatory too for a while.

Over here I think it started as that same celebration as other countries celebrated this too, but, and this is only my opinion, I think it just turned into what it is now. Obv seeing as it completely has no meaning and is on a different day. Or does anyone know exactly why it's celebrated on St. John's day??

I used go around with my friends collecting neighbours' rubbish. And by rubbish I mean like doors and tables and old couches. We were delighted but thinking back on it now I bet it was just so they didn't have to purchase the use of a skip! :rolleyes:

Found this on Wiki. Gives a much better fact by fact account of what happened. :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guy_Fawkes_Night

That's just the UK though.

I remember coming over to Ireland and thinking why are they all burning stuff in June? Thought it was the strangest thing. Don't bat an eyelid about it now but imo it's gotton out of hand in most places. For example apprently a TV3 crew went to check out a bonfire up the northside and they were pelted by stones by some little shits! Forgive my language.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭mudokon

Thanks Nodice, I knew about the whole Guy Fawkes thing, I just wasnt sure about the burning of the effigies & where that started.

In fact at most of the public displays that I remember going too there was rarely a Guy Fawkes effigy being burned.

mudokon wrote: »
    Thanks Nodice, I knew about the whole Guy Fawkes thing, I just wasnt sure about the burning of the effigies & where that started.

In fact at most of the public displays that I remember going too there was rarely a Guy Fawkes effigy being burned.

I remember being told that they tortured Guy Fawkes but I don't think he was set on fire... I don't know.. Maybe it has to do with the song?? The remember remember the 5th of November song.. There's a bit at the end refering to setting him on fire and I'm sure when the British had the celebration as mandatory they HAD to burn the effigy.. Wait.. :)

*looks up lyrics* :pac:

Remember, remember the Fifth of November, The Gunpowder Treason and Plot, I see no reason Why the Gunpowder Treason Should ever be forgot. Guy Fawkes, Guy Fawkes, t'was his intent To blow up the King and Parli'ment. Three-score barrels of powder below To prove old England's overthrow; By God's providence he was catch'd (or by God's mercy*) With a dark lantern and burning match. Holla boys, Holla boys, let the bells ring. Holloa boys, holloa boys, God save the King! And what should we do with him? Burn him!
    Just a theory!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭CptMackey

There was a huge fire on the southside near togher. Looked like it nearly got a warehouse and all
    Fecking animals is all they are tbh.
    Bonfire night should be banned.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭langdang

grenache wrote: »
    I thought Bonfire Night would be on May Day Eve, the day before the beginning of the ancient festival of Bealtaine? Thats when it is in Limerick, Clare and Kerry anyway.
    Ya, that's the mucksavages bonfire night, in Cork we co-ordinate ours with Spain and other countries because we're fierce cultural;)

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭DJ Hafez

themonboys wrote: »
    Yeah? Where is that?

Lehenaghmore.... Was massive!

dsc00142p.jpg

dsc00143p.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭themonboys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 489 ✭✭Trashbat

themonboys wrote: »

Surely it would be better to put all those little ones into one big one!

For big bonfires, nothing beets east Belfast on July 12th. Had to hide my accent all night though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭themonboys

Trashbat wrote: »

For big bonfires, nothing beets east Belfast on July 12th. Had to hide my accent all night though!

Hehe, that would be some big bonna!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Cadyboo

Trashbat wrote: »

That annoys me too, but different kids get their own stuff, so want to control their own.

Anyway I loved bonna night. I remember being really young and all the families used to gather the stuff. Then our neighbour who had a shop used to bring up boxes of taytos and sweets and drinks for us all. The teenagers used to look after the fire, the small kids sat in awe, and the parents had drinks and sing songs. Loved it!
    Then when I was a teenager we used to collect the stuff. I remember one year the lads from the next park were trying to rob our stuff for the bonna. So 2 of us used to sleep there at night to keep watch and during the day we would all take turns. Then when our parents found out we werent staying in each others houses, that stopped. So we moved all the stuff into my garden, was murdered!!Ha! Then we used go drinking at OUR bonna.
    Happy days!

Advertisement