Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HELP! How can I teach both maths and bio?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Seanh111

pathway33 wrote: »
    yeah the new education courses (think there one in maths in galway) probably aren't on that download yet since that's for people applying for the h.dip (PGDE) this year but the eligibility still stands for potential undergrads like you providing the course is still run
    pathway33 wrote: »
    be aware of the distinction between
    1.a BSc in physiology which the teaching council recognise to teach biology and
    2. doing physiology as a major in a degree by adifferent name

I don't mean to be picky :D but the teaching council can be so.....

Wel there is no physiology on its own, but maybe there was a few years back? So i could do only a third of the maths course in OU and then be automaticall qualified to teach maths? (If i hav the postgrad done already for biology) but since i havent actually got the degree in maths would it count?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

Seanh111 wrote: »
    So i could do only a third of the maths course in OU and then be automaticall qualified to teach maths? (If i hav the postgrad done already for biology) but since i havent actually got the degree in maths would it count?

:) well therein lies the rub. If you want to get a feeling for the psyche of the teaching council checkout www.educationposts.ie or it might be www.educationposts.com and see the problems people have had getting credits recognised. There seems to be a fair ol roundabout to go on and it can take months for paperwork to be processed. Now this was last year and maybe there was a backlog.

However if you check out the teaching forum here you will find a correspondence from the teaching council where they are currently in discussions with the department of education over the legality of the credits system for qualified teachers. Don't know how it will turn out.

Regarding the one third of the maths course, it really depends on the modules you pick. You'd need a good spread in order to cover the school syllabus up to higher leaving cert. You might get lucky but see people have had a problem before withthe teaching council in relation to the fact that the teaching council wouldn't advise them as to which modules they should do. They would only confirm the eligibility or otherwise of modules after the exams had been passed. Sometimes people were sent off to do another 10-15 credits (of the irish system) without specific instruction. Now that was in the earlier days of the teaching council so by the time you approach them the teething problems may well be sorted out.

As regards to what you should do now, choose the course you are most interested in. If it aint on the list get the head of department to get it recognised before you graduate. It's in UCC's interest to have courses recognised as muchas te student. Also do as many maths options as you can because that means doing less after college.

Wel there is no physiology on its own, but maybe there was a few years back?

yeah that's most likely the case. The BSc in physiology has just merged into something else.

Thanks for all the help, i finally got the list of the courses the teaching council accept so thats been very helpful. I was jus wondering, if i did a higher diploma or masters in maths after my physiology degree could i then qualify to teach maths?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

It's quite possible yes.
    My BScHons in Earth Science didn't qualify me to teach geography or chemistry.
    But the teaching council said if I did a year course/diploma thing in geography I could reapply and it would probably make me eligible.
    I'd ring them first and ask, I personally aren't happy with that teaching council at ALL so I'd wanna make solid sure of what would qualify me before going ahead with it.

• Advertisement

There isnt a list of accepted postgrad courses by any chance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

There might be, check their website and see.
    I'm only saying because of the hassle and the length I had to go to for them, and the amount of time they took to get back to me, I'd be wary about thinking I can do something without making doubly sure with them.

if i did a higher diploma or masters in maths after my physiology degree could i then qualify to teach maths?

H.Dip Mathematical Studies NUI Maynooth

http://graduatestudies.nuim.ie/prospectivepostgrads/taughtcourses/scienceandengineering/mhr56

This is a one-year full-time course, though it may also be taken part-time over two or more years. The aim of this course is to enable graduates having some mathematical background attain the level required to teach the subject in schools. On completion, students should attain a level of mastery comparable to that of Joint-Honours graduates in Mathematical Studies.

Note: Don't confuse it with the H.Dip in Mathematics which is a higher level and requires an undergraduate degree where maths is a substantial component.

I dont think the Teaching Council have a postgraduate list. They have not taken students with Masters in history to teach history for example, but the NUI Maynooth site says the course attains the level required to teach the subject in schools so :confused::confused::confused:

Advertisement