Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why are you proud of Ireland?

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭twanda

...might be a sore point for some people, but I like that Ireland was the first EU country to impose a nationwide ban on smoking in workplaces. Lots of people said it would never work - but it did, and many other countries have followed suit.

I am also proud of the many famous Irish actors and musicians.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

I'm proud that our Dept of Finance is full of nice people with fantastic communication skills but they don't have any accounting/economics/finance qualifications - hence this recession :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

I'm proud of those Irish people who stood up against the so called experts and went against the begrudgers and did something (or at least tried) to improve society:

Dr. Noel Browne
    David Norris
    Bob Geldof
    Dermot Morgan
    Bono
    David McWilliams
    George Lee (Don't make me eat my words George)
    Roy Keane

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭patrickbrophy18

I'm not that proud of being Irish at the moment. For a start, some of the laws in this country are a joke, the transportation system is half-assed and has gotten worse over "cost cutting measures", those of us who have jobs are being taxed left, right and center. These tax levies have cost thousands of people jobs. I could go on forever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Maggie Thatcher.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

twanda wrote: »
    ...might be a sore point for some people, but I like that Ireland was the first EU country to impose a nationwide ban on smoking in workplaces. Lots of people said it would never work - but it did, and many other countries have followed suit.

I am also proud of the many famous Irish actors and musicians.

I second that, especially how well observed it is in pubs. I'm amazed at how even the most hardened of smokers head outside.

I'm also proud of the GAA, in the face of soccer and rugby it still stands as a symbol of our sporting tradition. As much as I love soccer, a thriving GAA scene is something that makes me proud. Shefflin and Canning dueling it out last week only for sporting rewards is a thing to be proud of

• Registered Users Posts: 3 mudahawn

If you have levies or social welfare cuts read this,
    Gleaned with difficulty from Independent, Times, Herald.

TD salary, €100,190 per annum. Or €1926.73 per week. €275.00 per day PLUS

A Committee pays on average € 21.22 per day

T.D.s get Walking around money €15.06 per day.

They get allowance for coming to work €61.53.per day.

Travel allowance of €1.26 per mile if over 15 miles from Dail per day.

Free parking for life at Leinster house.

Overnight allowance €143.45 if they sign in, no receipt necessary.

Even if they only call in to the Dail bar during the holidays they can claim overnight

€15.00 constituency travel expenses per day receipts not required.

€98.00per day secretarial expenses., can be given to wife.

€18.00 per day expenses for phone calls.

€ 1350.00 every 18months for a new phone, and to insure phone, = to.€ 2.5 per day

Ministers get €100.000.00 a year more that a TD, plus free car and €13,000pocket money ie € 309.00 per day more that T.D.

Total for T.D.s a minimum of €1494.36 per week, Plus perks.

Total for Ministers €3810.00 per week, plus perks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭Walsh

I'm proud of the Irish sense of humour and pub culture.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Oisinjm

Well, that's not very impressive considering about only 8 nations play rugby with any degree of seriousness.

I hate the way people who dislike rugby just make the sport out to be a joke for the sake of it.

Ireland
    Wales
    New Zealand
    SA
    Australia
    France
    Fiji
    Italy
    Scotland
    Argentina
    Canada
    USA
    Georgia
    Namibia
    Portugal
    Romania
    Spain
    Samoa
    Tonga

Theres a lot more aswell, over 120 teams play. This year the Irish team have won the Grand Slam, had a huge amount of representatives on the B&I Lions and won the Churchill Cup, if you're not proud of that I feel for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

I felt very proud when i attended the Volvo Ocean race 2 weeks in Galway.:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Oisinjm wrote: »
    I hate the way people who dislike rugby just make the sport out to be a joke for the sake of it.

Ireland
    Wales
    New Zealand
    SA
    Australia
    France
    Fiji
    Italy
    Scotland
    Argentina
    Canada
    USA
    Georgia
    Namibia
    Portugal
    Romania
    Spain
    Samoa
    Tonga

Theres a lot more aswell, over 120 teams play. This year the Irish team have won the Grand Slam, had a huge amount of representatives on the B&I Lions and won the Churchill Cup, if you're not proud of that I feel for you.

In fairness the poster did say "to some degree of seriousness". So really you have the 6 Nations, Tri-Nations, Argentina, Fiji, Tonga and Samoa. That's 13 countries in total and tbh the last three are just feeder countries for the All Blacks and Australia. Plus add in that it is not the number 1 sport in even the bigger rugby nations such as England. You could just as easily say that the GAA is a worldwide sport because it is played in England, USA etc. But really it is just Ireland.

Anyhoo, as well as the GAA which I before, I'm proud of Ireland's countryside, sense of humour and the TG4 girls. God bless TG4 :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭starn

Smyth wrote: »
    I'm proud of my ancestors. The men and women who died for my freedom.

Im proud that theres no more Bogman IRA gob****es anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Lads, people who say there's nothing to be proud of annoy me. It's abit of a recession and it'll pick up. I doubt if there was any other government in power it'd make a difference. The incidents in the Ryan Report have no been brought to light and we're recovering. The corruption and greed is one thing, but since when is government everything? Look at your local community (unless your in Dublin or something).

Also, why are people belittling that Ireland is GOOD at rugby? Christ never happy at all. Get in on the action and smile and stop being so dull. **** loads of teams play in rugby around the world. North America play rugby (an Irish team gone over), rugby is, as we know quite popular in the south hemisphere.

Advertisement