Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Photo Part XII. DO NOT QUOTE PHOTOS & Size < 800px PLEASE!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭toe_knee

Feedback more than welcome. This is my first attempt at HDR and my first ever photography post on any site.

4091E1824FDE468FBB40FC58681D2F5D.jpg

http://pix.ie/tonycomerford/1076380

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭kjt

Good stuff Tony, it's easy to go crazy with HDR's. You did a good job with that. Keep up the good work!!!

jem.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭eas

humberklog wrote: »

I'd been waiting for this shot for over a year and now I have it I'm disappointed. There you go though.[/CENTER]

I know the no info required policy of the "Random Photo" thread, but care to tell us what you where waiting for & why you're disappointed?

I think I get the dialogue of the photo - and I've been I've been an alter boy at that church a few times. :)

I think it's great BTW.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,138 ✭✭✭nilhg

The Derby, from the other side,

7F700D56DE75457483F66619693A6194-800.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,324 ✭✭✭keps

toe_knee wrote: »
    Feedback more than welcome. This is my first attempt at HDR and my first ever photography post on any site.

http://pix.ie/tonycomerford/1076380

I must confess that I know nothing about HDR.
    But I like this type of photo - and maybe I'd opt for more a landscape format that squarish. The sky is possibly a bit too dominating ???
    Here is a more landscapy version & I've adder a tiny bit of extra contrast (on Picasa 3).
    2h2jnmu.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,477 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

eas wrote: »
    I know the no info required policy of the "Random Photo" thread, but care to tell us what exactly you where waiting for & why you're disappointed?

I think I get the dialogue of the photo - and I've been I've been an alter boy at that church a few times. :)

I think it's great BTW.

I was thinking that it's more like two year ago I used that road as a rat run between Leonard's Corner and Islandbridge. I once caught a scene in my preforal vision as the gates were closing. It struck me as a very timeless Dublin scene. Factory gates, church and Guinness all in one.
    So for quite a while I'd been making it my business to pop by and capture the same scene but the gates were either fully closed or wide open. I had approached the security twice asking if they'd manouvre them into the position I wanted but they weren't playing ball at all.
    So I've waited and watched for nearly two years. Not everyday of course but whenever I could squeeze in a stroll by I would in the hope I'd catch it being drawn across.
    So last Thursday...Bingo! I was walking past, the gate was open, so I decided to have a pint in the sun and give it 15minutes to see if there was any action. I'd just come out, pint in hand, and heard the rattle of the bolt, I popped pint down, got into the exact position that I had worked out would be best (I had figured this out from quite a while back) and waited until the gates were exactly as I imagined them. One shot.

So off I went, pleased as, to get the film developed. Then looking at the pic I started to nit pick conditions: sky was a clear as chrystal (I'd have like dark clouds, ground was dry (I'd have liked shiney rain). I didn't use a Canon A1 but a Minolta. The Minolta has an AF lens and even though I used it in manual I can't help feel that non AF's are better quality, I know this lens will curve a horizan slightly therefore I think that in some way all the images will be curved even if that's not noticeable to the naked eye.

A bit nuts I know and I do like the pic but for all my odd reasons, that I can't help, it's just not 100% in my eye and mind.
    But thankfully it's done and dusted so I won't need to be making nonsensical detours...I can move onto my next nonsensical quarry and hopefully I'll have the good sense to locate it a bit more easier to get to.

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭toe_knee

Thanks, I like your landscape version better.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭riiight!

3669720820_9c60a3da05.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭riiight!

3668903661_e7e37a001e.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,985 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭eas

humberklog wrote: »

A bit nuts I know and I do like the pic but for all my odd reasons,

Not sure how nuts it is, sounds like this isn't the shot you where waiting 2 years for. Just a necessary step towards achieving it.

Any idea if there's any regularity to when the gates are opened / closed?

About the pic as is, without the strong sun I think you'd loose a few important aspects - I like how the lettering looks like it's glowing, but most of all I like the very strong, almost sinister shadow the door creates. There could be some message there - intentional or not. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

Arising from the ideas thread, an idea surfaced as having a place to discuss images and techniques from the random thread.

So a discussion thread has been set up.

Please read the opening post rules.

With this in place, it would be very much appreciated if this thread could be kept for photos rather than discussion / comments, and the discussion / comments go on the discussion thread.

Oh, by the way - this isn't directly in response to any particular chat on this thread - rather the idea that surfaced in the ideas thread.

Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Some photos from the Teddy Bear Protest outside Dail Eireann in aid of Our Lady's Hospital Crumlin. Taken around Saturday midday.

3668991987_ba7b4d60b5_o.jpg

3669800240_1ff7e10738_o.jpg

3668992515_6cf5b8d3fb_o.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ross_Mahon

DSCF1953-1.jpg

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

One from the zoo today:

IMG_0167.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭sourwine

From today, in Dun Laoghaire

3669073207_d0c4845a49.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

IMG_0880.jpg

Silverfish wrote: »
    One from the zoo today:

Didn't know that Brian Cohen was there today!

(heehehee)

keps

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

EED1DE3B1A3C49758097E6ABF67714DB-800.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

• Advertisement

sourwine wrote: »
    From today, in Dun Laoghaire

I liked this image a lot - hope you don't mind that I had a look at it in B&W?

smzgbn.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

Caution : Down in the valley-oh !

0A9EC8E4F38F49108CBB7C86F3D0D05B-500.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭stick-dan

DE930D75C5FB43A680F6872E11106DB5-800.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭stick-dan

@silverfish. - Deadly Photo especially since he is indoors, isn't he. Well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

stick-dan wrote: »
    @silverfish. - Deadly Photo especially since he is indoors, isn't he. Well done.
    Yeah brilliant picture. It'd make a great Album Cover.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Brndn

3667923267_5bcbd3bbf1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭paulusdu

Silverfish, that dude is a great little poser
    One from me

3671532598_4b4ea882e1.jpg?v=0

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭xia

3671673698_536e4f8d72.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭peter1892

Back garden spider bokeh thingy...

3660526281_91f233e52a_o.jpg

• Advertisement