Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fight Night Round 4

Options
  • 20-06-2009 6:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭

Is anybody getting it?
    I had it on the psp (round 3) and it was deadly so imagine what it's gonna be like on the PS3 :D
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Ashtony

Doyler92 wrote: »
    Is anybody getting it?
    I had it on the psp (round 3) and it was deadly so imagine what it's gonna be like on the PS3 :D

I would hope the controls and the moves are smoother now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭Doyler92

I found them to be grand but it can only get better.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭YoungPayters

it does look bloody amazing tbh, might be a great 2 player game

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

The demo is on marketplace if anyone doesnt know. Last years one I thought was class.

Im not gone on the new way they have assigned <-- and --> for punches along with diagonal each way punches as sometimes when you want to hook you end up giving a jab to the stomach even though you need to hold LT also for hitting the stomach so I dont know why they put that in.

The parry punch thing is gone aswell (where youd block left or right and the opponent would kinda drop his guard for a second).

In the demo all you need to do is keep jabbing to win matches as the computer never blocks. And if you want to knock out the opponent just keep doing the strong uppercut with hatton.

And the new rolling the left stick to duck and weave is pointless as half the time yould end up not doing it so your just better off doing the head movement.

Im dying to get a new game for the 360 but I could see myself getting bored of it fairly quickly. Wonder what the online will be like. Its out tomorrow in america so should see some reviews up soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

joe123 wrote: »
    The parry punch thing is gone aswell (where youd block left or right and the opponent would kinda drop his guard for a second).

the mechanic is still there...basically the exact same. Instead of parrying, you dodge. When you dodge out of the way of a shot, it slows down and you get a free hit in....same as the old parry really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭Doyler92

Yes well to me it's a game where I'd rather not get the demo and just play the real thing.

Yes well to me it's a game where I'd rather not get the demo and just play the real thing.

.....riiight. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

Kirby wrote: »
    the mechanic is still there...basically the exact same. Instead of parrying, you dodge. When you dodge out of the way of a shot, it slows down and you get a free hit in....same as the old parry really.

It better be the same, the parry system was how I won fights! Parry a right hand and then unload a motherfukker of a super punch into their face as they're stuck swinging at air, BAM! Within 3 rounds their right eye is swollen shut and bleeding like crazy and it's open season for the hooks to start flying. KO by the end of the 6th 9 times out of ten (uppercutting the hell out of their body to get them to drop their guard helps too). Fun times

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭el dude

The create a boxer is pretty slick i have to say. Being able to share them then is a great touch. Some good efforts out there already.

http://www.easportsworld.com/en_US/playershare/searchresults/game/fightnight/type/MDB

Been trying to make a Bernard Dunne but haven't had much luck yet getting him anything near what he looks like. So if anyone knows where i might be able to find some hi-res shots of his mug that'd be appreciated.

The Legacy mode looks sound, i will say this though, the training games are an absolute headwreck. They'll drive you mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭ArphaRima

I cant find it in the demo, and if they've dropped it I wont be buying this game..

Where has the first person view gone?? 2 player first person is where the last game was amazing!

Please tell me its an option in the full version. None of the trailers have it from that perspective.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Going by the demo I wont be buying it . Really really bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Podge2k7

Role on morning time:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 75 ✭✭C0ward

Did anyone play it yet? It was out yesterday, right?

C0ward wrote: »
    Did anyone play it yet? It was out yesterday, right?

Yep I got it yesterday. Really really good. Graphics are amazing. Getting absolutely killed by people on line though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭ArphaRima

First person perspective view available??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

Got this too, first fight night ive played and I havent a clue how to play but we had some laugh last night drinking and playing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭consultech

It's wreckin my head - Im 12-1 in Legacy mode now and gettin smacked around by some big Light-Heavy Polski chap. Ive nver played FN's b4, and started by throwin power hooks LRLRLRLRLR until I stunned fighters back. I obviously know there's more to it, so have been trying to block more, and experimenting with double tap side-stepping up or down to create some openings, as well as the quarter circles to duck and roll to the side and hit some counters. Im still being battered though.

ANyone else got any slippery controls to open counterpunch opportunities??

Cheers

consultech wrote: »
    It's wreckin my head - Im 12-1 in Legacy mode now and gettin smacked around by some big Light-Heavy Polski chap. Ive nver played FN's b4, and started by throwin power hooks LRLRLRLRLR until I stunned fighters back. I obviously know there's more to it, so have been trying to block more, and experimenting with double tap side-stepping up or down to create some openings, as well as the quarter circles to duck and roll to the side and hit some counters. Im still being battered though.

ANyone else got any slippery controls to open counterpunch opportunities??

Cheers

Practice leaning, very handy way to get some counter punches in if you can get it right. I can't quite get it right but my brother is a master of it and it works well for him. Can leave you fairly open for body shots though iirc

consultech wrote: »
    ^^^ The training games are actually available seperately in "My Corner" at the main menu,so you don't need to do them in Legacy and re-load if it's only for practice, FYI. You can keep autosave on and quit legacy mode after you've scheduled a fight and simulated the calender dates. If you dont do this and restart the ps3 it will actually go back before you scheduled the fight and waited, which is time-consuming and annoying. t's grand if you complete one training, as it saves it for some reason. ^^^

Yeah Ive been cheating a bit with building my fighter up with champion grades from every training I can. I have it saved before training, and quit out and reload (actually have to reset the ps3, is there an easier way Im not thinkin of?) if I get "prospect" or lower.

I can consistently get "champion" in everything except the 2 heavy bag trainings - It took me a while to figure out that you could lean as many times as u wanted between maize bag swings though!! I'm still strugglin badly with the bag push though, Ill try that 2/3 burst combos thing later. I need to figure out the best distance to stay away from it too, as it makes mention of it in the game, so must be NB.

With the double end bag just try and get to the zone and only throw a jab if u have to, as the most important thing is getting a streak together - Sometimes u get into a nice rhythm and and just circle and hit and never have to change directions - others ur just destined to not get Champion on it coz it keeps settin the zone on the opposite side.

For the guy above that said training doesnt make a difference? I got strangely spontaneously challenged by the 5th ranked fighter when I was 30 in my first (and aborted) legacy, and there was about 30 rating points between us. I got flattened in the first 20 seconds. In my new one I waited 6 months between every fight for the first 5 years so I could get 3 trainings in each time. I'm ranked 11 in Light-Heavy now at 26yo, so need to get a move on and only do 2 beween fights, but Adamek is ranked top of LH division with 96 rating, and would mash my face if I tried to fight him now.

As u move up the rankings you really need to start boxing smarter than just coming out of the gate swinging left and right hooks ad infinitum. You need to slow your output down as you need to go the distance more often. Try and slip to the sides, trying to open up counter opportunities. Try working the body for the first couple of rounds to sap the stamina of the bigger hitters you'll be facing also.

ALSO: Has anyone got gameface going? I tried to go on EA Sports World and figure out how, but it seemed like it was down or somethin? I dunno...

quoty

Me no likey.

The controls are dodgy (went through 3 controllers thinking maybe the one I was using was busted, apparently not), the points system between rounds is mental, the judges apparently score solely on the percentage of punches landed. You can beat the head off your opponant with power punches and be the agressor in the fight but unless you get a knock-down you're losing the round if their thrown/connnected ratio is higher than yours.

Looks awesome, but has sacrificed gameplay and the gameplay was where this series grabbed me. God dammit I hate EA

Methinks I'll go back to Fight Night 3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭SalthillGuy

Is anybody getting it?
    Is this intended as an adult game, or is it targeted at kids.?
    Just wondering.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Is this intended as an adult game, or is it targeted at kids.?
    Just wondering.

It's rated 16+...so it's targeting those over 16 years of age.

Played a bit of it last night. New career mode seems more in-depth (only fought...and won one though!). AI doesn't seem to get as punished for swinging at air - only if you happen to be leaning or block at the right time. Movement seems a little iffy at times and occasionally my boxer throws his own punches.

But so far I like it...

🤪

Gonna wait for a patch for the controls before I buy it. Call me old-school but I like precision in my punches, so i like to use the face buttons to punch. I don't like the idea of going for an uppercut and getting a hook instead and the stick punches annoy me.

They took face button punches out, which was stupid. Never limit your player bases options on purpose. Fight night 3 had it and thats like 4 years old.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Stevo105

Gonna wait for a patch for the controls before I buy it. Call me old-school but I like precision in my punches, so i like to use the face buttons to punch. I don't like the idea of going for an uppercut and getting a hook instead and the stick punches annoy me.

They took face button punches out, which was stupid. Never limit your player bases options on purpose. Fight night 3 had it and thats like 4 years old.

the trouble was it, it was unfair for online play. I agree it should be put backin, but only if you can set a match up online and be able to switch it off/on so both players are on pair.

The stick feels more realistic to me...put thats just my 2 cents

Its only unfair if you can spam moves.......and if thats a problem then you made a poor game.

Basically, Stamina. If you spam face button punches over and over, you wont have any.

Or alternatively, make it so online face buttoners can only play other face buttoners .....and stickers only play other stickers.

Or ban it from online. Whatever. Just don't punish those we like the single player and want to play with precision. All the reviewers complained about trying to stick one punch and getting another by accident.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Stevo105

Or alternatively, make it so online face buttoners can only play other face buttoners .....and stickers only play other stickers.

I fully agree with you. That's basically what i said in my previous post :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭Sunset V

Bought it yesterday. Absolutely melted the fuse board off me for about an hour and a half. Started off as Tyson fighting Eddie Chambers, was getting destroyed win the first round battered in the next rounds, just tiring myself out all the time.

But finally got the hang of it and it's brilliant I think! Very similar to FN3 but a few changes that make it very good.

Impressed overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭helios12

Just don't punish those we like the single player and want to play with precision.

you can't throw an accurate punch so you want the game dumbed down to suit your needs..

wrote:
    All the reviewers complained about trying to stick one punch and getting another by accident.

not in any review I read.

I was beaten in my first foree into online play last night by a guy (180-5 record) who used Ali and just threw massive right haymaker after haymaker and knocked me out. I couldn't do anything against it, was moving - ducking - bobbing - rolling - sidestepping - but invariably got caught by a couple and was out before I knew it. I consider myslf good - I just retired a boxer with 61(60)-0-0 legacy record on second hardest difficulty level, and can hand my mates their arses in the game too, so I was surprised I couldnt do anything against this tactic.

My point is that my opinion of the game has gone down a little after that, as I promptly lost to ANOTHER guy doin the exact same thing with Ali after. What is it with stupid American kids playin games like this all day and then fappin off over their online rank, without any enjoyment of playin the game of the sweet science whatsoever??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭djkeogh

Haymaker guys I can handle. Keep popping the job and they can't throw their haymaker. Either that or block and counter punch. Stay away from him with the jab though and he'll soon have to change his tactics.

I find most guys just throw uppercuts to the body. Everytime you open up on them they go to the body. Fought a guy in a very close fight and should have beaten him but I was trying to hard to dodge him for a counter that I didn't realise my health getting so low.

Fought another guy who had an unbeaten record and he just literally ran away from me the whole fight. Could never catch him to land more that a punch or 2 at a time and he ultimately wore me out and put me down.

I think people online are very beatable. Working on their tactics you should be able to turn most fights around.

Advertisement