Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trains not working sorry heres a bus instead

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭darc

MOH wrote: »
    I just checked London-Birmingham for tomorrow morning.

Anytime return fare: £60
    Off-peak return fare: £15/£22
    Trains run hourly.

Dublin-Galway.
    Web fare: €34.50
    Trains every two hours - all bar the first at times considered off-peak on the Lon-Bir route.

So in most cases Birmingham works out cheaper, and there's more flexibility.

Can't see where this price is

On Virgin trains the cheapest outward price for tomorrow off peak is £17.40, the cheapest return journey price is £20.40. (Might be a cheaper price if you take the slow train that stops at every village en route)
    Total £37.40 (€45.63)
    If you are returning at peak hour (5pm ish) the fare is £50.50 for the return journey alone. (brings cost to €82)

Irish Rail web fare to galway - €30 off peak, €34.50 peak.

Cheaper & much simpler fare system

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

bongotime wrote: »
    droppped my fiancee off at the train this morning.

and to my surprise I thought it was a joke. they are repairing all the tracks.

so instead heres a bus instead ?

so she got the bus.

I went over to the machine to check the prices. same prices

sorry I didnt see reporters there nothing it was as if no one cared at all

they didnt lower the prices sorry but you are paying full price for a train to
    galway limerick kerry.

oh but heres a bus instead sorry about that. am I the only person in ireland that finds this ricdiclus.

no one cared at all that they were paying 50euro for a bus to anywhere in ireland.

There were major engineering works ongoing at Sallins at the weekend which required that the engineers had full possession of both tracks from Friday evening until Sunday lunchtime. This meant bus transfers from Dublin to either Newbridge, Kildare, or Portaoise and then rail transport onwards.

These were advertised on the Irish Rail website at least three weeks ago and there were large advertisements on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday in all the national newspapers highlighting the disruption. Indeed Aer Arann jumped onto the bandwagon with some very clever advertising!

How you can claim there was no notice is beyond me.

Unfortunately these things have to happen from time to time and it incidentally happens virtually every weekend somewhere in Britain. I've never known the fares to be adjusted - the impact of this was roughly 20 minutes onto each trip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭alpha2zulu

Mr E wrote: »
    Buses can't fly.

Airbus do a great line in flying buses.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭IanCurtis

It's typical in Ireland that the OP complains about something which is disgraceful and a load of ...... reply trying to make out he's in the wrong.

You're right OP, they wouldn't stand for it here in England. Irish people haven't a clue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭IanCurtis

madmik wrote: »
    at least the english have the balls to complain when getting sh!t service

in ireland people will accept any level of service and pay any price to get it

Dead right. The clown above you replies "get a car". He's paying tax towards the bloody trains and he doesn't even realise it!

Absolute idiocy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭rameire

IanCurtis wrote: »
    Dead right. The clown above you replies "get a car". He's paying tax towards the bloody trains and he doesn't even realise it!

Absolute idiocy

firstly im not a clown.
    secondly i do realise where my tax is going.
    thirdly, i realise that service and upgrades are part of the norm, and that people will be affected. thus alternatives should and were provided for.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

It's typical in Ireland that the OP complains about something which is disgraceful and a load of ...... reply trying to make out he's in the wrong.

You're right OP, they wouldn't stand for it here in England. Irish people haven't a clue.

Only a small portion of the trips were by bus.

Obviously you're very unfamiliar with the weeks and weeks of weekend engineering works on the West Coast mainline in Britain that caused bus transfers virtually every weekend?

I don't recall any price changes then either?

I understand that what was involved was the renewal and relocation of a crossover from one track to another at Sallins. That would require both tracks to be closed - perhaps you have another way of doing it?????

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

IanCurtis is right saying the OP is right!

It was a scandal!

Nobody reads those newspapers Irish Rail advertises in, nor their website. And nobody could possibly be expected to go to a bus stop or station after turning up and finding out about the bus transfers. This country is one big sham.

Anyway Irish Rail should not be allowed to force passengers to pay the same price for bus transfers at gun point. Did anybody think of calling the local Garda station? The ERU could have been there before the trains... I mean, buses left.

:o

• Registered Users Posts: 78,333 ✭✭✭✭Victor

foggy_lad wrote: »
    i was able to book a rail flight
    o_O

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

People stand for it regularly in the UK:

[url=]https://www.stanstedexpress.com/engineeringwork.asp?SID={EE884BDE-992E-43AA-837B-3608ECAC662D}[/url]
    Date Description
    Sunday 12 July 2009 Bus replacement service in operation until 1300

Sunday 02 August 2009 Bus replacement service in operation until 1300

Sunday 09 August 2009 Bus replacement service in operation until 1330

Sunday 30 August 2009 Bus replacement service in operation until 1300

You can have a look at the next 6 months of Tube closures here if you want:

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/livetravelnews/realtime/tube/track-closures.pdf

Whole lines closed at weekends to facilitate engineering works.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Cool Mo D

Britain is a totally different world rail wise - they have a lots of frequent, dense intercity rail routes, as it's such an urban country. For example, Birmingham to London has 5 service per hour - which is nothing but a crazy dream for an Irish Intercity route.
    Their services are also a lot faster than Irish ones - London to Manchester takes 2 hours compared to 2hours 45 minutes Dublin to Cork - about the same distance.
    However, their train fares mean that buying a ticket the day you travel is impossible for a normal person. The flexibility of an open return will cost you dear - an anytime return London - Manchester is £247, and a business class return £404! These fares are for expense accounts only.
    Intercity travel in Britain has become like plane travel - if you want to get a good fare, you must book in advance, and take the train you're booked on. Here, you can buy a return, and take whatever train you want. That flexibility is dead across the water.
    They also have plenty of bus substitution issues - way more than we do, due to years of running down the railways. They are now investing again, but deferred maintenance has taken its toll.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Cool Mo D wrote: »
    Britain is a totally different world rail wise - they have a lots of frequent, dense intercity rail routes, as it's such an urban country. For example, Birmingham to London has 5 service per hour - which is nothing but a crazy dream for an Irish Intercity route.
    Their services are also a lot faster than Irish ones - London to Manchester takes 2 hours compared to 2hours 45 minutes Dublin to Cork - about the same distance.
    However, their train fares mean that buying a ticket the day you travel is impossible for a normal person. The flexibility of an open return will cost you dear - an anytime return London - Manchester is £247, and a business class return £404! These fares are for expense accounts only.
    Intercity travel in Britain has become like plane travel - if you want to get a good fare, you must book in advance, and take the train you're booked on. Here, you can buy a return, and take whatever train you want. That flexibility is dead across the water.
    They also have plenty of bus substitution issues - way more than we do, due to years of running down the railways. They are now investing again, but deferred maintenance has taken its toll.
    Weekends in the UK are a nightmare for engineering works, it took me 7 hours to get from Holyhead to Euston recently, via Bham. You can still purchase open non reserved monthly Sea /rail tickets and take any route desired to our destination.

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭fh041205

monument wrote: »
    IanCurtis is right saying the OP is right!

It was a scandal!

Nobody reads those newspapers Irish Rail advertises in, nor their website. And nobody could possibly be expected to go to a bus stop or station after turning up and finding out about the bus transfers. This country is one big sham.

Anyway Irish Rail should not be allowed to force passengers to pay the same price for bus transfers at gun point. Did anybody think of calling the local Garda station? The ERU could have been there before the trains... I mean, buses left.

:o

You're surely not serious. Gunpoint? Thats utterly laughable. Can you suggest a better way than bus transfers? The line was closed for essential works, what else are they supposed to do?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

fh041205 wrote: »
    You're surely not serious. Gunpoint? Thats utterly laughable. Can you suggest a better way than bus transfers? The line was closed for essential works, what else are they supposed to do?

I was not serious at all. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭fh041205

monument wrote: »
    I was not serious at all. :)

Thank Christ. There IS still sanity in the world.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

darc wrote: »
    Can't see where this price is
    It was through the link I posted :confused:
    I'm not going through it again
    (Might be a cheaper price if you take the slow train that stops at every village en route)

It was taking 2:20 or so, about the same time as Dublin-Galway,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

i often find the bus is faster than the train especially from waterford-dublin! and is usually more comfortable even with the new 2nd hand trains

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

i often find the bus is faster than the train especially from waterford-dublin! and is usually more comfortable even with the new 2nd hand trains

:confused: What are these new 2nd hand trains and please can we have some of them for the Soggy South East?

I don't know what bus service you're using but trains do Waterford/Dublin on average in two and half hours and buses average timings are three and a quarter to three and a half hours!

The trains aren't secondhand - they're brand new!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,895 ✭✭✭Terrontress

I think there is now a major issue with the bus to Belfast being as quick as the Enterprise, or not far off it if you get the one which has Dublin airport as its only stop.

The train is expensive because it costs so much to run it.

In a country the size of Ireland, is it worth maintaining a rail network if it cannot compete with the new roads?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭bongotime

so I was down in the Train station last saturday and I said to herself

wow there's no Buses thats amazing.

far dues to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Pineapple stu

You will be getting the bus next weekend as well :D 17th

Advertisement