Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to do in Ballina

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Dollseyes

I agree with your comment, I did not go to any of the events. However last year I knew the Committee people who did the Mardi Gras Parade. they got so much criticism that they decided not to be part of Committee this year.(thus no parade) A lot of people gave their time for free to organise the festival, The way things are going (if there is not more support) there won't be a festival soon. I think they did their best with the resources they had. But the way the economy is going I can't see it happening next year.

It wasn't because of people who can't accept criticism that there was no Mardi Gras, it was because of insurance reasons!

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭steph1

Well there is always going to be criticism of one kind or another when you are involved in committees. However one aspect of this whole festival which affects me as I drive for a living is the way the road closures are operated. Saturday night was one good example. The beat on the street was held at the Tesco carpark but roads all over the place were blocked off some of them unnecessary in my opinion. The town is too small for this.

I always thought Mardi Gras was good. I heard various stories as to why it was not held this year one being that sponsorship was not forthcoming and it was either Mardi Gras or the fireworks. Why is there a problem with insurance considering they have had this event for a good few years?

The agricultural show should be held on its own some other weekend. This clashed with Oxygen and I know that a lot of people were gone from town that weekend. There was also a vintage show in Crossmolina on Sunday so that was clashing with the Teddy Bears picnic and I heard very few were at that. There just needs to be some reorganising of this festival so that it is not clashing with others in nearby towns which does not make sense.
    Look at the Bonniconlon show. Its a one day event and it seems to be one of the best shows around.

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭jkmanc1974

Considering moving to Ballina for 6 months for a course starting at the end of August instead of commuting every day from Claremorris, good move or mad move?

Brgds
    Johnny

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭finisklin

Should be ok....the festival is over!

jkmanc1974 wrote: »
    Considering moving to Ballina for 6 months for a course starting at the end of August instead of commuting every day from Claremorris, good move or mad move?

Brgds
    Johnny

I would do it. You dont want to be travelling on bad roads in wintertime and you will be saving yourself a two hour stint in the car each day. Unless you are going to commute by train.

• Advertisement

steph1 wrote: »
    I would do it. You dont want to be travelling on bad roads in wintertime and you will be saving yourself a two hour stint in the car each day. Unless you are going to commute by train.

Fancy a change of scenery also so will probably end up moving to Ballina if nothing turns up workwise in the next month or so(highly unlikely!), and like you say it will save on a commute(especially with the state of some of the roads heading up!)

Brgds
    Johnny

Oh Johnny dont start me off on the state of the roads :D
    They are absolutely dire.

steph1 wrote: »
    Oh Johnny dont start me off on the state of the roads :D
    They are absolutely dire.

Hence another reaosn for moving up :)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Trevor, we're not too keen on this sorta website pimping on boards. However, have a look at the Sales page or Contact the office about how best to interact with the site's members.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Post removed, please follow Kharns advice (was going to PM Trevor but won't bother now)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Decdawreck

Drink, drink and drink i think are the only real things to do!!!!

As for cinema well thats debatable nowadays they open when they want not when they advertise and they lock you in during a film which i find a bit odd if not a bit of a hazard.

To be honest its a hole that will suck you in and there is little that you can do!!

Hahahaha!!! Ok so maybe i exagerrate

Lock you in during a film :confused:

Yes the cinema often lock the front doors after the last film of the night has begun. I assume it allows the staff to take it easy for awhile. I've often left a screening to make a complaint about people making noise/acting the prat to find that there are no members of staff to be found.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭MoyVilla9

Go Karting if you're into that stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 400 ✭✭Rafa1977

Am heading to Ballina tomorrow for couple nights,any recommendations of what to do or where to go, judging by some of the previous posts could be a quite couple of days!!

The other half wants to go horse riding one of the days, have seen a few places on line, can anyone recommend any?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Alqua

Barnfield Equestrian centre is not too far from the town and is good - can't comment on the others as I haven't been to them, but there are a good few to choose from. Maybe ring around and see what they offer?

Ballina may not be the busiest in terms of activities in the town itself but it is a great base for exploring the North Mayo/Sligo coast if you have a car! Beaches and cliffs galore..Enniscrone, Lacken, Ceide/Dun Briste, Erris, Achill(....) Belleek Woods in Ballina are lovely and there are a few historical sites in the area.

The town has a huge number of restaurants, pubs and cafes so there is no shortage of places to relax and be well fed. Have a good trip, hope you get good weather!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 400 ✭✭Rafa1977

Alqua wrote: »
    Barnfield Equestrian centre is not too far from the town and is good - can't comment on the others as I haven't been to them, but there are a good few to choose from. Maybe ring around and see what they offer?

Ballina may not be the busiest in terms of activities in the town itself but it is a great base for exploring the North Mayo/Sligo coast if you have a car! Beaches and cliffs galore..Enniscrone, Lacken, Ceide/Dun Briste, Erris, Achill(....) Belleek Woods in Ballina are lovely and there are a few historical sites in the area.

The town has a huge number of restaurants, pubs and cafes so there is no shortage of places to relax and be well fed. Have a good trip, hope you get good weather!

Thanks for that Alqua, I have a car so I will be checking out those cliffs.

You're very welcome, hope it's of some help! Downpatrick Head (Dun Briste) and Ceide are great spots - the road to Downpatrick Head is just on the Ballina side of Ballycastle as you enter the town, easy to miss, but ask for directions and they'll put you on the right track. Ceide then is the other side of Ballycastle. Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭am i bovvered

A visit to the museum in Belleek Castle is def worth while.
    (Just to note I do work in the building, but no connection to the museum)
    The Jackie Clarke Collection also really interesting.
    Belleek woods are beautiful, as well as a visit to the monasteries along the Moy Estuary.
    If you have Children Tom Ruane park is really well kept, it also has free tennis courts.
    + the normal fishing, golf, great cafe and restaurants.
    Seaweed baths in Enniscrone are fun.

Reading this thread some posters here should be ashamed, very easy to sit on your backside and give out, if you want to improve the town, do something constructive!! Ballina has a lot to be proud of too.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Downpatrick and Ceide are nice, my wife is from there and we go doen every couple if months to see the inlaws. Nice when sunny impressive when it's windy and the head

• Advertisement

A visit to the museum in Belleek Castle is def worth while.
    (Just to note I do work in the building, but no connection to the museum)
    The Jackie Clarke Collection also really interesting.
    Belleek woods are beautiful, as well as a visit to the monasteries along the Moy Estuary.
    If you have Children Tom Ruane park is really well kept, it also has free tennis courts.
    + the normal fishing, golf, great cafe and restaurants.
    Seaweed baths in Enniscrone are fun.

Reading this thread some posters here should be ashamed, very easy to sit on your backside and give out, if you want to improve the town, do something constructive!! Ballina has a lot to be proud of too.

+1 to all of this. How could I forget the Jackie Clarke..! Definitely a must see if you have an interest in Irish history - and even if you don't! Amazing collection. Tour guide from Kilmainham jail said they would kill to have what is in Ballina!

Advertisement