Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Modern Prog Rock bands?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭PattheMetaller

Pendragon are an excellent band

• Registered Users Posts: 4,841 ✭✭✭RayCon

I see Astra - The Wierding has already been mentioned and I second that - to me they play "classic Prog Rock" - in other words - when you think of stuff like Yes, early Genesis , Floyd's Meddle era , King Crimson - these guys fit that sound - unlike the term "Modern Prog" which is associated with The Mars Volta etc ...

.. but anyway , without getting into sub genre's of Prog (or even a debate on what constitutes Prog ?) I recommend :

Astra (classic prog sound)
    Diagonal (classic prog sound)
    Mastodon's Crack The Skye Album (not earlier Mastodon) - ok , so this is very heavy and sits in the "metal" category but there are some great heavy prog passages throughout the album - The Czar is brilliant
    Mammatus - (Heavy Prog Psyche Space Jams) Check out The Coast Explodes
    Porcupine Tree - 'nuff said.
    Earth - check out thier album The Bees made Honey In The Lions Skull - not exactly Prog - but long passages of slow guitar driven music that sounds like a soundtrack to a sleazey , drug fuelled spagetti western filmed in slo-mo. Honestly - it's much better than that description.

Old stuff that you mightn't have heard yet :
    Twenty Sixty Six and Then
    Eloy
    Khan
    Nosferatu

in 2006 a German TV station broadcast 12hrs of Krautrock in a special called Krautrock Nacht ... it has since done the rounds in trading circles spread over 6 DVD's ... if you can track it down - get your hands on it ... there's some brilliant stuff on it (a lot of crap too though ...)

Info here : http://www.bigozine2.com/features06/DTkrautrock.html

• Registered Users Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Pallas definitely deserve a mention. Still going but their late eighties effort The Wedge is wonderful

Twinspirits from Italy are worth checking out. I got their debut album "The Music That Will Heal The World", which contains this track, a few weeks ago and it is an excellent album. Their new album, "The Forbidden City" is released this month.

Just purchased the new Porcupine Tree album The Incident ... first listen , very good ... I predict a "grower" morphing into a "must have"

• Advertisement

An Irish Prog Band for you from Derry. 2nd Album is out now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Their first album is quite good, and the newest one is meant to be even better. There is a real Steve Wilson vibe on the new stuff that I have heard from them.

Have the album on pre order from Amazon as the european edition is not released until Friday week, and I am not paying the silly prices that HMV want for the Aussie import version from earlier in the year.

Kess73 wrote: »
    Their first album is quite good, and the newest one is meant to be even better. There is a real Steve Wilson vibe on the new stuff that I have heard from them.

Have the album on pre order from Amazon as the european edition is not released until Friday week, and I am not paying the silly prices that HMV want for the Aussie import version from earlier in the year.

Where did ya hear em kess??

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

I was a big fan of the Melbourne rock scene, and because of that I got to listen to a lot of the Perth and Queensland music scenes.

There was a really cool Thrash scene there in the 1990's when the rest of the world had grunge. Plus the Big Day out gigs were very cool through that decade and into the 2000's. I caught Karnivool at one of them last year and had liked them since seeing them playing with Electric Mary (at least I think it was Electric Mary that played at the same gig in 2004 or 2005)a few years back, so I started paying more attention to them from then.

• Advertisement

Cool, ,they are great live, ,saw em this past weekend over in leeds, amazing show and it opened my eys too something more creative,plus i partied with ian till the small hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,184 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Singers voice is a bit annoying, but not as much on other songs. This is from their 2nd album, prefer Drop Dead Days, but couldnt find clip.

Also got Insurgents by Steve Wilson, although you prob know that, but for those who don't:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,963 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Me, I'm rather pleased to see that Transatlantic is back:

:cool:

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 21,184 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

bnt wrote: »
    Me, I'm rather pleased to see that Transatlantic is back:

:cool:

Bahahah, I came looking for this thread to post up exactly this. Pity there aren't more sections of the main song up(from what I could find). 77 minutes of pure prog godliness. Am really enjoyin Neal Morse on it, def gonna check out his solo stuff more now, and expand on Spocks Beard. Favourite section from this would be the final section, the line 'dancing with eternal glory', all sounds so epic. Can't wait to watch the dvd and to hear the covers.

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭metzengerstein

So, I've been quite a fan of the good old Prog for many a year now, and I've got quite a few albums from the likes of King Crimson, Yes, Camel, ELP, Jethro Tull and so forth, and of course Rush. But I'm kinda itching for some new blood so to speak, I'd like to hear some more modern, new bands approaching the style of music.

Now, I'm not after any Progressive Metal here, I'm more than familiar with the likes of Devin Townsend, Pain of Salvation, I'm really after some rock here.

For example, one band I've discovered a while back was Ashada, a Japanese Folk/Prog band:

i know there not new ,but old genesis albums are prog rock some songs are a bit mad as in changes here and there ,foxtrot and tresspass are not bad ,

:D Classic T Shirts ..... Prog Trumps ... I love it ...
    65cd09b2ae95444e99371b4aaa5307d1.jpg

174d775e456142b4954f152ff093fef1.gif

Advertisement