Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Labour Saving and General Guntering

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭timple23

• Registered Users Posts: 11,204 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

The diaphragm in those filter heads all fail eventually, troopers are famous for it.

You can buy replacement heads easily enough.

The bulb primer will work away the best as long as the filter head isn't letting in air and allowing the diesel run back to the tank.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭trixi2011

Had similar problem with a Hilux used a self loading dosing gun instead of the primer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭MIKEKC

Anyone know if the primers can be got for petrol engines. Have used ones like in photo but they leak after about 12 months. I use them on vintage cars. They are brilliant when a vehicle isn't started regurally .

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Did you know the open end of a 13mm ratchet spanner fits nicely into an inch drive socket. When the spanner starts to bend it’s tight enough 😬.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,738 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

I open this fence just once a year to put in bales. I got sick of opening and tying back the barbed wire every time. These turnbuckles worked great to tension it back up. Simple idea but it works well.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭satstheway

Any recommendations on a solid bench vice. I managed to break a good solid cast vice when 20 odd years ago. Then after a few years hardship without a vice I bought a ok vice the type made with flat plate , It lasted for a good while but then I over tightened it and bent it to hell and its useless now. Is my best bet getting a second hand record vice or is there a new alternative.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Grueller

That's what I broke last, if you mean a steel plate type vice.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

Heres the vice for you so.

https://youtu.be/CKgwcuAvM6E

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭emaherx

Todays far too much time on my hands project.

Yea I have watched some of his videos. Wouldn't want to as AvE says keep your di*k in a vice with that one😖

Time for a bit of work, nearly a shame to be putting anything out on this grass.

Delighted to have this welded up. It's a plate to hold a bracket for a calving gate. It ain't pretty I know, but l felt I got good depth on the weld. It's an old shed and there is concrete at the back and sides of the pillar, so I couldn't drill a hole for the bracket.

Vertical welding is a skill I'm trying to get good at. You basically point the rod slightly up and weld side to side, delaying on each side as you go . The sides seem to absorb the heat better, so the weld doesn't flow off.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭timple23

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Thanatosgratus

A food grade / drinking water pump might be a better option https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/153408888355?hash=item23b7e1de23:g:pPwAAOSwG4pcgkNQ

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

Had to resort to this today after forgetting to put on the washing machine last night and getting destroyed shifting a downer cow for a neighbour this morning. Had to pull out an ancient darning needle to make the holes.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,168 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Replacing some drinkers here in the shed. Was going to expoxy some 12mm threaded bar into the 7" wall about 5" to leave 1.5"closed for mounting the drinker. As they are off cuts I've not enough to make the lengths required to go through for all the drinkers.

Shouldn't this be okay rather than going through the wall - I've got enough threaded bar here to go the expoxy route, but would need more to put it fully through.

I've also got some 8mm threaded rod, but I'd prefer to use 12mm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭mayota

Have you many off cuts? You could weld them together to length needed or even add rebar to them with a T or a small plate at the other side of the wall.

• Advertisement

Expoxy away, they'll never move it's the way I hang gates now.

Not seen that one for use with the standard gun belt. The ones we have need the wide gun and the mixer nozzle.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,875 ✭✭✭enricoh

Not really labour saving or guntering but I see in the paper today that if you have solar panels you can sell the excess you don't use back to the grid now.

It didn't mention how much you get but up the north a lot of the farm sheds are covered in panels so there must be a twist in it up there.

I know the crowds doing houses are milking people dry but it'd have to be handy enough to fit them to corrugated yourself I'd imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,111 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Haven't got the full details of this , but friends have done it and they're getting feck all for what they sell and paying extra per unit for the pleasure of using the meter, maybe someone can tell me a better company to deal with.

My friends reckon it'll take 15 - 20 years payback on what they paid for the system. Ireland don't want/ not encouraging people to supply the grid

• Registered Users Posts: 18,539 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Far as I know the feedback tariff in NI is gone to the dogs and many turbines are falling out of use as it’s not covering maintenance.

we would need guaranteed feedback tariffs that cover infrastructure costs within 10 years or it’s a waste of time.

Finally got round to putting the work lights onto the tanker.

The connections on the tanker are ip67 - so can be immersed in water. I would have preferred to have the connections at the lights horizontal, to avoid water ingress, but as it is ip67 and will be stored inside there should be no problem. I made a joint on the front of tanker so the lead to can can be removed if not wanted. Switch is not illuminated unfortunately but as it is close to the socket in the cab it is easily located.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,204 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Looked into getting wind turbine about 12 years ago.

Guys came out to do a wind speed feasibility study.

The long and the short of it was at that time, you got paid slightly more per k/w produced than the same k/w would cost to buy.

Only problem was, you had an annual quota on how many K/w you were paid for.

If January, February and March were good and windy, you might produce your annual quota by March 31st.

Then your expensive turbine was spinning away producing power for the grid for the next 9 months and you got nothing except the wear and tear.

Life span of turbine was about 25 years, and it looked like it'd barely pay for itself in that time frame.

We abandoned the idea, as you can imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭Suckler

Could it be deactivated for the summer months so you don't incur the wear and tear for 'off peak' time?

Neighbour here put in a wind turbine in his site about 10 years ago. Don't know the KW of it, but it is huge. It broke down once and he got it repaired. Now it just sits there, not worth getting repaired. ....and this turbine was supplied by one of the biggest suppliers in the country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,111 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

You need it going full time to supply their own electricity

Advertisement