Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vandals throw bicycle on overhead power lines to shut down DART service

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

KC61 wrote: »
    DART has been here for 25 years and this is the first time that I can recall anyone ever throwing a bicycle onto the overhead wires.

A bit off-topic but I was watching 'Traffic Blues' on RTE last Sunday and the Gardai attended an incident where a woman driving on the M1 hit an object thrown from an overbridge. They Gardai were saying there has been a rise in the number of these incidents lately.

Hopefully people throwing stuff onto motorways or railways will get caught and made an example of which would lead to a decline in these incidents before there is a serious car crash or train accident.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

KevR wrote: »
    A bit off-topic but I was watching 'Traffic Blues' on RTE last Sunday and the Gardai attended an incident where a woman driving on the M1 hit an object thrown from an overbridge. They Gardai were saying there has been a rise in the number of these incidents lately.

Hopefully people throwing stuff onto motorways or railways will get caught and made an example of which would lead to a decline in these incidents before there is a serious car crash or train accident.
    There is only one way the authorities could try and prevent that and that is to fit sofisticated CCTV on all rail and road overbridges. The cnuts will still try to get away with it by wearing hoodies which would render the system useless and will only impose on our civil liberties,.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

There is only one way the authorities could try and prevent that and that is to fit sofisticated CCTV on all rail and road overbridges. The cnuts will still try to get away with it by wearing hoodies which would render the system useless and will only impose on our civil liberties,.

I agree CCTV wouldn't be a big enough deterrent for these people to justify the expense of it being installed on a wide basis.

I'd love it if the next time someone throws something off a bridge the Gardai happened to be passing in an unmarked car. Busted! :D

KevR wrote: »
    I agree CCTV wouldn't be a big enough deterrent for these people to justify the expense of it being installed on a wide basis.

I'd love it if the next time someone throws something off a bridge the Gardai happened to be passing in an unmarked car. Busted! :D
    Better still if it was a metal bridge and the bicycle got wedged beteen the overheads and the bridge. :D

When I was a kid a guy from school threw a can of white paint on top of a passing train, the fan from the Metrovic blew the paint back up into his face.

Darwin might do us all a favour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭crocro

This is the kind of thing that 12 year olds have gotten up to since the invention of bridges. The solution is to cover the bridge in a steel cage as in Kilbarrack

I remember a steel chain being dropped on the DART cables in the 80s or early 90s on Christmas day when the power was off. I believe they decided never to power it down again.

• Advertisement

crocro wrote: »

I remember a steel chain being dropped on the DART cables in the 80s or early 90s on Christmas day when the power was off. I believe they decided never to power it down again.
    Better than powering it down would be to run DC through it. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,781 ✭✭✭SeanW

Diesel locomotives do come in handy. :p
    In this case, so to would a sniper rifle.

Advertisement