Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ultra marathon down ...just Half Ironman and Sub 3 Marathon to go

Options
  • 15-06-2009 3:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭

I didn’t think I’d be starting another log on here but during my lunchtime run today, I somehow thought it would be a good idea. Hopefully I can maintain it

My goals at the start of the 2009 was at the title suggests. The Ultra marathon in Connemara went well and I got under my initial goal of sub 5:15, and on the day thought maybe I could have squeezed another couple of mins from the finish time of 4:52. Next years target maybe?

So I’ve been ticking nicely over since, getting in a 5-mile race, a duathlon and the Tri Athy Olympic. Training wise I’ve had to play catch up for the tri season. Got back on the bike in early April and then the swims started in early May.
    Family life has been hectic and I am now a very proud Dad of a son of 5 weeks.
    (Some how he has attracted a chinese name “Yung Sun” from us.) His big sister of 3 is very enthusiastic who says she will be a Princess when she grows up.

The only way I can fit in training sessions these days is either very early or at lunchtime. Evenings are manic and I can honesty say I have not got more than 4hrs-quality sleep at a time in weeks. But hoping it will improve.
    So yes next main event is Eireman half Ironman in August. After that I’m hoping to give the sub 3 a go at the Dublin marathon. But preparations for that will be rather challenging as family holiday and work commitments occur during September.
    Anyway here goes. Each week I will log previous week’s experiences. Advise greatly appreciated. Hoping you will enjoy.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭asimonov

good luck abhainn, i really enjoyed the last log.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭Abhainn

Week ending 14th June

Mon – AM 2k swim in 43:16.
    Since start of May and 10 previous swim sessions to now I have been concentrating on stamina swim work.
    I was hoping to get 2.5k in under 50mins before I would concentrate on swim interval work, the time is disappointing so I have not really improved in those 5 weeks. Though long run and bike at weekend may be a factor.
    Also my weight has dropped by over 6kg since last years swims so I have possibly lost a bit of muscle on the upper body.

Tues – Track interval work. 10 x 500 with easy 500 in between and 1k warm up / cool down.
    I was really tired today and didn’t know how this session would go. But conditions good and managed all 10 in range 1:39 – 1:35 with average dead on 1:37. Slowest one was no. 1.

Wed – 6 miles easy in 43:33. HR Avg. 134. Fairly relaxed run after yesterdays' interval session.

Thurs - 05:30am bike ride of just short 51k in 1:36. HR 133
    Decided to try this out and see what early morning bike would be like. Took a while to get warmed up. But happy enough with this as there are few flat roads in Wicklow.
    Frid - AM 2k swim in 42:37. Decided I will commence some swim interval work next week.

Sat – 6:30 am. 14 miles at 7:07 pace in 1:39. HR 140. Took me 3.5 miles in before I was comfortable. Early run as very busy today with having to work on Sat morning which rarely happens, then returning to dig holes for decking foundation in garden all before the OH went off to Take That!

Sun - Enforced rest day. Long bike ride had to be postponed. Probably needed a rest day anyway.

asimonov wrote: »
    good luck abhainn, i really enjoyed the last log.

Thanks asimonov. I hope you enjoy this also, fingers crossed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭MCOS

Nice one Abhainn... I'll watch with interest:D I reckon you will do well with the 1/2IM as your running is so strong and you have the solid running base to back you up! Best of luck with this. It rings so many chords with me

-having to train in the mornings
    -wondering where upperbody strength is gone?!
    -50km bike at 0530 (did just that this morning myself!)

On the upper body one. I did one gym session of upper body a week during the winter and spring but now that I am doing no gym work, I have 2*10kg dumbells at home and I simply do this 3 nights a week

30 standing shoulder presses
    30 bicep curls
    30 standing ab holds on exhale (flex and hold 3 seconds each)
    30 standing oblique twists raising arms as high and wide as possible on each rep
    30 push ups
    I'll add a 90 second plank next week and more core exercises if I have time

It takes less than 10 mins but you feel pumped afterwards (I do them quick and take 10 secs rest) and I'm noticing the difference after 3 weeks of this. I'll mix it up a bit when it gets boring. Throw chin ups into that somehow and you won't need to worry about losing upper body muscle! Google 'Tabata Intervals' for ideas on short sharp effective upper body stuff you can do at home if needed

I will be switching to 1/2IM mode after Kilkee myself.

It will be some year for you
    Ultra
    1/2IM
    Sub 3
    New Baby

You don't half challenge yourself, I knew you were one to watch :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Only a half Ironman? you wus. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

Abhainn wrote: »
    I didn’t think I’d be starting another log on here but during my lunchtime run today, I somehow thought it would be a good idea. Hopefully I can maintain it

My goals at the start of the 2009 was at the title suggests. The Ultra marathon in Connemara went well and I got under my initial goal of sub 5:15, and on the day thought maybe I could have squeezed another couple of mins from the finish time of 4:52. Next years target maybe?

So I’ve been ticking nicely over since, getting in a 5-mile race, a duathlon and the Tri Athy Olympic. Training wise I’ve had to play catch up for the tri season. Got back on the bike in early April and then the swims started in early May.
    Family life has been hectic and I am now a very proud Dad of a son of 5 weeks.
    (Some how he has attracted a chinese name “Yung Sun” from us.) His big sister of 3 is very enthusiastic who says she will be a Princess when she grows up.

The only way I can fit in training sessions these days is either very early or at lunchtime. Evenings are manic and I can honesty say I have not got more than 4hrs-quality sleep at a time in weeks. But hoping it will improve.
    So yes next main event is Eireman half Ironman in August. After that I’m hoping to give the sub 3 a go at the Dublin marathon. But preparations for that will be rather challenging as family holiday and work commitments occur during September.
    Anyway here goes. Each week I will log previous week’s experiences. Advise greatly appreciated. Hoping you will enjoy.

I was wondering how long it would take to get going again....i am sure you will achieve whatever you set out for yourself.
    Congrats on the new arrival and look forward to reading your new log.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Racing Flat

Good on ya. I like the logs with a paricular target (or 2). All the best with it. I'll be cheering on at the 25mile mark in Dublin - so you'd better be through there in 2.50!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Looking forward to keeping up to speed with your progress Abhainn. I don't envy your early morning training starts. Best of luck.

MCOS wrote: »
    On the upper body one. I did one gym session of upper body a week during the winter and spring but now that I am doing no gym work, I have 2*10kg dumbells at home and I simply do this 3 nights a week

30 standing shoulder presses
    30 bicep curls
    30 standing ab holds on exhale (flex and hold 3 seconds each)
    30 standing oblique twists raising arms as high and wide as possible on each rep
    30 push ups
    I'll add a 90 second plank next week and more core exercises if I have time

It takes less than 10 mins but you feel pumped afterwards (I do them quick and take 10 secs rest) and I'm noticing the difference after 3 weeks of this. I'll mix it up a bit when it gets boring. Throw chin ups into that somehow and you won't need to worry about losing upper body muscle! Google 'Tabata Intervals' for ideas on short sharp effective upper body stuff you can do at home if needed

You don't half challenge yourself, I knew you were one to watch :)

Thanks MCOS I think I can get my hands on some dumbells so I appreciate that.
    On the challenge point, I am improving all the time. I fear that if I don't set myself challenging targets l will fall short and thus not improve.
    Buts that the way I enjoy this stuff.

Good luck in Kilkee dude.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Magnet

Dumbells are so last yr, its all about the kettle bells this yr!! :p

Welcome back and good luck wit the sub 3, You`re well able to do it.
    oh and Congrats on MiniMe!!

• Advertisement

Magnet wrote: »
    oh and Congrats on MiniMe!!

LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭SUNGOD

great to see you starting a new log and congratulations on the new arrival.
    new baby,half iron man and a sub 3 attempt and your talking about breaking your ultra PB!!!!!!
    you might have to lobby the dail to bring in a 30 hour day :D

Week ending 21st June

Mon – AM pool 2k swim total.
    Swim intervals. 250m warm up then 15 x 100’s average 1:54 with rest 40 –45s between. Cool down 250m

Lunch: Run 6 miles at 07:17 pace. HR 138. Felt tired before but run went well and bounced fairly well along.

Tues – PM Track interval work. 8 x 800 with easy 400 in between. 800m warm up and cool down.
    Goal was to complete all sub 2:50. Range 2:42-2:46. Average 2:44. Quickest no.7.
    Was real satisfied with this session.

Wed – Lunch. 6 miles easy at 07:15 pace. HR Avg. 135. Fairly relaxed run after yesterdays' interval session.
    PM – OW swim of at least 1500m though ensure of exact distance in 34:30. HR 132. This was an enjoyable swim in fairly calm waters.

Thurs - Rest

Fri - 05:30am bike ride of just short 51k in 1:41. HR 134
    This was not a very enjoyable bike ride. Legs asleep / ache for ages (30 mins). Riding into northwest breeze on outward leg and also against me on way home!

Sat – 14 miles at 7:06 pace. HR 144. Took me a few miles to get into it but satisfactory run all the same.

Sun – 60k bike ride in 1:56.
    Was hoping to get longer ride in but happy with this in the end. Legs aching after yesterdays run until 15k in then felt better. Got soaked as heavy enough rain for 30 mins. Wearing just base layer and no rain guards on bike.
    Last 20k was strong.

Happy I squeezed in the 8 sessions last week and also quality of all. Would have been better if 1st bike was earlier in week but could not fit it in.
    This week will be a moderate one as need to be relatively fresh for half marathon in Clontarf on Sunday and would like to do well in that.

Solid week Abhainn, excellent track reps and that 5.30 am bike needs serious discipline that will of course stand to you on race day :)

Solid week Abhainn, excellent track reps and that 5.30 am bike needs serious discipline that will of course stand to you on race day :)

Yes satisfactory week. Was thinking of getting in another OW swim on Sun but the OH may have gone mad.

Week ending 28th June

Mon – AM pool 2k swim total.
    Tired this morning and didn't know how much of these swim intervals I could manage.
    250m warm up, then 15 x 100’s with 40-45s rest between. Average 1:52. Cool down 250m.

Lunch: Run 6 miles at 07:16 pace. HR 138. Still a bit tired but run went ok even though it was warm and humid.

Tues – Rest.

Wed – Lunch:
    Intended 7.1 mile with 4 miles at 06:15 (Half marathon pace). 1st mile at 07:25. Got to 2.5 miles into tempo bit and right glute steadily became very sore. For the first time ever in a session had to stop.
    Got back into a jog and completely did last two miles. Temp miles in 06:13,06:10. 06:12
    Total 6 miles.

Evening– OW swim of approx. 1800m in 39:45. This was an enjoyable swim in calm unclear waters.

Thurs
    Evening: Brick session. 50k bike followed by 5k run.
    Right then left glute got very sore at 2k and stayed around till 10k. Did try and stretch ten out while on the bike but it was very uncomfortable. Finally got going right at about 15k and felt great after that
    4k from home picked up slowish puncture on back tyre but managed to get home (nearly on top of handle bars). Bike in just over 1:30. HR 137
    Off the bike and completed the 5k run in 19:45. This was a good brick session considering bad start and finish on the bike.

Fri- Rest

Sat – 4.4 miles with some strides at 7:21 pace. HR 141.

Sun – Half Marathon at Clontarf.
    Finished in 1:23:12 - PB (A bit disappointing though) HR 168, 5th position (I think).

Race report to follow

• Registered Users Posts: 19,495 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Well done on the 5th place. What time were you hoping for? Everyone's times seemed to be off, due to the heat. How did you find the sand?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Sun – Half Marathon at Clontarf.
    Finished in 1:23:12 - PB (A bit disappointing though) HR 168, 5th position (I think).

You don't surprise me anymore, I now expect these kind of results :D. Well done

Well done on the 5th place. What time were you hoping for? Everyone's times seemed to be off, due to the heat. How did you find the sand?

Hi KC. I was hoping for sub 1:22. Heat didn't really affect me. The main run along the beach was ok though the 100m or so of soft sand at the entrance and exit to the hard stuff wasn't easy.

Did you do it yourself?

Race Report: Contarf Half Marathon

Finished in 1:23:12. HR 168, 5th position (I think).
    I was a bit disappointed by my time. I had set myself a PB target of sub 1:22.
    I did that by exactly a minute. I over took 2 runners in the last 5k so I suppose not a bad day at all.
    Record now is 7th Half, 7th PB

I started well and settled down on my own in about 8th position some 50 yards behind the leading group of 6 or so.
    Shortly after 2 of those these guys seemed to take a short cut and ran along the road instead of the prom but that didn’t really bother me. I felt I would be overtaking them any way later.
    The leader from Raheny went out from the start on his own.
    My target splits for each k was 3:50 – 3:55. At 5k marker which was on the beach split was 19:00 dead. Splits to then were 3:45,3:52, 3:38,3:48 & 3:58. I was a little ahead of schedule then but I knew I’d need a few seconds in the bag because of the terrain.
    The sea fog was fairly dense now and it was difficult to see more than 50 yards ahead. Finally we emerged to good roads again and felt strong on the prom to the turn point. The km markers after 5k were all over the shop but I passed the 10k marker (which was wrong way round) in 38:37. I knew I lost some seconds on the loose sand so I wasn’t too bothered.
    Just before the turn I overtook over the guy immediately ahead. Next target were the two runners in front of me. The gap between us was fairly constant now for 7k or so.
    I overtook one of these just as we entered the beach for the second time. The sea fog was really bad now.
    Visibility was worse than on the way out. I followed just behind the guy I was told was in 5th position. Before I knew it we were nearly running in the sea! Finally I copt on and moved closer to the dunes so I assumed I put at least 100 -200m onto my race distance. I was continuing to keep my pace steady but hadn’t passed a km marker in a while and caught up to the guy ahead as we emerged from the beach.
    We ran together for a while not talking but just kinda sussing out each other. The k markers seemed to be more accurate now and 17k, 18 & 19k were done in 3:49, 3:53, 3:43 respectively. My partner then decided to take the grass route (which seemed shorter) while I remained on the path. I injected some pace and second last k was done in 3:27 as I moved aheadl. I was all on my own for the last 1.1k which seemed so long.
    I was greeted by my little girl as I crossed over the line – she having a great time spraying water all over me.

Met boards runner Magnet as she crossed the line (her second race in two days:eek:). She did well but was not too impressed by my bike tan lines:( .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Magnet

Nice to meet you properly!!
    Well done again - Thought yday you said 1.33 so I`m glad it was way faster at 1.23.11
    My OH took photos at the finishline of the runners coming in...
    PM me your email and ill send you one of no.88 (two fat ladies :D!?!)smiling away at the finishline...
    Sub 3 no bother to ya.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭asimonov

Good run Abhainn and congrats on the PB. It seems like the conditions or course weren't ideal for optimal times. On the bright side, i'd reckon 8 Half Marathons and 8 PB's is a banker.

Barring some unexpected catastrophe you are going to not just do sub 3 but cruise to it. Well done on your race, 1'23 is bang on schedule. Perhaps the thursday's good brick was the difference between 1'23 and 1'22...?

Barring some unexpected catastrophe you are going to not just do sub 3 but cruise to it. Well done on your race, 1'23 is bang on schedule. Perhaps the thursday's good brick was the difference between 1'23 and 1'22...?

I think if I hadn't kinda lost my way in the sea fog was the difference:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭wizwill

Abhainn, you gave me some tips on newry half course a while back, it was all spot on, ,thanks for that.

Good running at the weekend, super time, cant say i would be too happy about an undefined running line though, "short cuts etc" i think it would play on my mind.

The course was a little too flat for me (i didnt run it), I am a newly converted fan of undulating courses, i think the mix of muscle usuage on an undulating courses is much easier than pancake flat courses such as the multimarathon half. I took 5 mins off my HM time from Newry (flat course) in Lisburn (a fair undulating course) with only a couple of weeks between the two (1.30 to 1.25). Maybe this is something to consider in your performance at the weekend.

Take the heat (even if you didnt feel it, it will have affected you somewhat), the sand (it does slow you up) and the unclear route, I would give you a solid two minutes off that time. 1.23 is a smashing time all the same. Best of luck with your future endevours.

wizwill wrote: »
    Abhainn, you gave me some tips on newry half course a while back, it was all spot on, ,thanks for that.

Good running at the weekend, super time, cant say i would be too happy about an undefined running line though, "short cuts etc" i think it would play on my mind.

The course was a little too flat for me (i didnt run it), I am a newly converted fan of undulating courses, i think the mix of muscle usuage on an undulating courses is much easier than pancake flat courses such as the multimarathon half. I took 5 mins off my HM time from Newry (flat course) in Lisburn (a fair undulating course) with only a couple of weeks between the two (1.30 to 1.25). Maybe this is something to consider in your performance at the weekend.

Take the heat (even if you didnt feel it, it will have affected you somewhat), the sand (it does slow you up) and the unclear route, I would give you a solid two minutes off that time. 1.23 is a smashing time all the same. Best of luck with your future endevours.

Firstly wizwill well done on your time in Lisburn. That 5 mins improvement is certainly impressive and no doubt you will be improving on that again.
    I agree with most of your points made.
    Even though the weather conditions were a bit on the warm side it does have the effect of raising your HR (in order to pump extra blood to cool you down ) and also the dehydrating factor.

Yes I also personally enjoy some hills rather than complete flatness. That's why I can;t wait for Dublin Marathon again.

Week ending 5th July

Mon – Rest.

Tuesday
    Lunch - Run 6 miles at 07:11 pace. HR 139. Enjoyable run after Sunday’s efforts.
    Legs not to bad, glutes still a little tender.
    Evening - OW swim of approx. 1800m in 41:35. Swim ok though seemed to be a bit of a current and swim off course a few times.

Wed
    Rose 5am. Looked out window. Down pour, called off bike ride, back to bed.
    Lunch - Run 7.1 miles at 07:12 pace. HR 137. Nice run.

Thurs
    Rose 5am. Looked out window. Raining again, called off bike ride again, back to bed.
    Evening - OW swim of approx. 1800m in 37:06. Arms ached for a bit for some odd reason. Tide in, calm waters and pong off water not nice.

Fri-
    7AM. Bike ride of 57.3k in 1:53. Beautiful morning. I thought Id never get back on bike this week. Anyway at 10k got puncture (4th in 17 bike rides) half way up 3k climb, really annoying. Took in half of Beast of the East course, well the easy half but satisfied at session.

Sat
    6:30am. Run 16 miles at 07:17 pace. HR 138. Sligo OX mountain and valley run. The first 3 miles were not very pleasing as mostly uphill. Then ok till about 10 miles and legs started to ache and body sore (maybe half marathon efforts last Sunday?). But got home and very happy that HR was low and max was 149.

Then spent 4 hours putting out turf!

Sun – Rest
    Hamstrings killing me due to work in bog!

Disappointed a only getting in one bike ride this week, due to poor weather.
    I’m getting a bit anxious each time I go out on the bike now due to the puncture issue. I’m ensuring that tyres are inflated sufficiently, hopefully it’s just bad luck.

Next Sat sees me in the Salmon Run Sprint Triathlon in Ballina

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

I’m getting a bit anxious each time I go out on the bike now due to the puncture issue. I’m ensuring that tyres are inflated sufficiently, hopefully it’s just bad luck.

what tyres are you using on your bike? maybe use a lower quality more puncture resistant brand for training and then switch to racing tyres on the day.

look on the bright side - if you get a puncture in the race you ll be super quick fixing it. i ve done about 600km on my bike so far and not had a puncture yet (touching wood).

Hey Abhainn how are you finding those early morning session? Is the little one sleeping through the night and helping her daddy out?! Are you doing the sessions unfuelled? Good run there Sat morning.

Agree with kennyb3. It was a while before i got a puncture but then I got about 4 in 2 weeks. It was frustrating indeed. The puncture resistant tyres are little more expensive but worth it especially if you cycle over a manky road regularly. After going though tubes like they were free for a while I inflated the tire to max psi and examined every bit of it. I found a little bit of the tube had squeezed out of a tiny hole to form a little bubble on the tire. I got a new tire but kept the old one to repair it and use on the turbo trainer I'm putting on my xmas wishlist. Also, do you check the tire pressure regularly as softer tires are more prone

Good work on the swimming too, is the 1.8k straight through? Thats nearly the 1/2IM swim right there!

• Advertisement

Hey Abhainn how are you finding those early morning session? Is the little one sleeping through the night and helping her daddy out?! Are you doing the sessions unfuelled? Good run there Sat morning.

Also, do you check the tire pressure regularly as softer tires are more prone

Good work on the swimming too, is the 1.8k straight through? Thats nearly the 1/2IM swim right there!

Hi MCOS I usually eat a small breakfast before I head out. One weetabix and one piece of toast with jam to load up the liver with some fuel. I couldn't do those sessions unfuelled.

Little lad is good in the night. Hes up about 4-4:30 for his own fuel and down again in 30mins. We take turns and I usually feed him on the morning of a rest day or easy day.

Always pump tyres before I head out. Considering fitting tyre liners between the tube and tyre. Even though I have replaced a few tubes now Im fairly shxte at it and not the quickest.

The swim is 3 laps around Wicklow harbour. I can't see it been less than 1700m or much longer than 1800 so happy enough for now at that.

Advertisement