Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anti-Social behaviour in Portlaoise

Options
  • 14-06-2009 4:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭jonbravo

Iolar wrote: »
    Do you think its getting worse in recent years?or has it always been of a similar trend?
    from what my dad says, its not as as bad as past years ....

• Registered Users Posts: 7 paskill

Yeah the anti-social behaviour is getting worse, but it, and I'm not labelling estates, but the main places where it has been going on, and trust me, I've been everywhere in town, the main places I've seen are Knockmay, Kilminchy, Glenwaters or something called Glen- I can't think of it, and the top right section(near the school) in Saint Brigids has has gotten bad over the years. The worst place though for it is the park, that place is filled with hoodlums, its usually the kids aged between 13-20, that wear tracksuits are the worst, surprisingly its the small fraction of teenagers that don't wear tracksuits are the only good kids in this town.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

Another "new trend" I've noticed is being stopped on the street by addicts/ whatever looking for a euro; this has happened to me on two evenings over the summer. With rising unemployment and the social problems this brings things are sure to get worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭stevoman

Another "new trend" I've noticed is being stopped on the street by addicts/ whatever looking for a euro; this has happened to me on two evenings over the summer. With rising unemployment and the social problems this brings things are sure to get worse.
    yeah passing the junkie toll bridge while walking down the main street these days seems to be quite common.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭joe_dunne

Hi all,

Could someone tell me where the junkies hangout? I can't say i've seen too many myself, maybe one or two by their traditional home - Abrakababra.

One of the reasons I moved from Dublin was to get away from junkies etc, I'm from a fairly infested part of Dublin and they just turn my stomach.

On the plus side i've developed a fairly good "F**K OFF" face to keep them away.

Joe
    Traditional Japanese Martial Arts in Portlaoise

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

Why can't it just be called crime........thats what it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭kizzyf

I must be just oblivious to the whole thing. Apart from seeing maybe one down the alley by Abraskebabra.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭undecided

stevoman wrote: »
    yeah passing the junkie toll bridge while walking down the main street these days seems to be quite common.

:D:D:D

Its been going on for years in dublin used to hear them on the bus saying they got X amount from "tapping" in town

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭undecided

lol I know they are everywhere! must saw I find them the most irritating!(sp?)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Its the sight of 4 or 5 of these guys together , and especially when its 2 pm in the day - sun is shining and they have the hoods up .-

They are obviously unemployed , have nothing to do , don't want to mix with society in general .

If they want to kick football , they will do so on the street , in everyone's way .

If you see them with a hurley , -watch out , cos they won't have a slioter.

If they feel they are intimidating you , they will really up the ante .

I dont think its any worse than some years ago,

Have seen different stages / phases of different gangs hanging out

I think the law against drinking on the street is working

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭CCCP^

Some places have gotten better, some places remain the same. The thing is, for most of the 90s, drugs weren't so easily accesible to the youth, but that's all changed now. There's a big number of sprawling estates now all over Portlaoise with alot of kids living there and really fcuk all to do in them, and fcuk all for young people to do in general in Portlaoise. It was the same when I was growing up, it'll probably be the same in 10 or 20 years time.

CCCP^ wrote: »
    and fcuk all for young people to do in general in Portlaoise. It was the same when I was growing up, it'll probably be the same in 10 or 20 years time.

Sorry, have to disagree with you there! There's so much more (clubs, sports, activities, music, arts etc etc) for young people to do now than when I was growing up in the town 20 years ago. It helps if you have a little money of course, but there are far more things and activities etc available now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

By the way, I was not talking about Portlaoise above - just another small urban town in Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭ADTR

undecided wrote: »
    lol I know they are everywhere! must saw I find them the most irritating!(sp?)

Please, please....
    _676053_gyp150.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Bicky

Here is a video of tommy conroy the junkie, AKA the human toll bridge. The lads glued a two euro to the ground outside ramsbottoms. This guy is heavy on the scag, he has lost a lot of weight and completely changed in appearance since this video was taken.
    The junkie beggars in town are this guy and his brother. The brother is the one who parades up and down main street drinking cans of lager and asking for seventy cent.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otsXSHeicDM

Bicky wrote: »
    The junkie beggars in town are this guy and his brother. The brother is the one who parades up and down main street drinking cans of lager and asking for seventy cent.

Correct, that's the pair! I had seen that video before but didn't make the connection. Tragic really.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Bicky

No mate. You are not. Hopefully that ****er is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭ella87

Sorry, have to disagree with you there! There's so much more (clubs, sports, activities, music, arts etc etc) for young people to do now than when I was growing up in the town 20 years ago. It helps if you have a little money of course, but there are far more things and activities etc available now.
    There's F all for young people to do! If you don't like sport there's nothing.
    No wonder so many young people get into trouble
    The skate park is gone now too which is crazy lots of people used that.there's no teen discos or gigs anymore.
    I'd like one person to name an activity and no sitting around in the shopping centre doesn't count!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭moose112

ella87 wrote: »
    The skate park is gone now too which is crazy lots of people used that.there's no teen discos or gigs anymore.
    I'd like one person to name an activity and no sitting around in the shopping centre doesn't count!

There are teen discos run in Club 23 on a Friday night

Instead us giving you suggestions, ella give us some idea what you are interested in

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭TheKid

These brothers are not victims of circumstance, they got every opportunity but never took it.They hang around all day on town,with their cousin sometimes.These guys are bad news but no one has a clue what their cousin is capable of, he has done things that would put hairs on back of your neck stand up .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭artful_codger

homework :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

moose112 wrote: »
    There are teen discos run in Club 23 on a Friday night

Instead us giving you suggestions, ella give us some idea what you are interested in

In all fairness the disco in Club 23 is meant to be sh!te.

To call club Sh!te is doing an injustice to sh!te nightclubs.Its brutal and always has been . Egan's no better!Coppers taking a lot people away from both.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭Kenteach

If having nothing to do was the root cause of scumbags causing trouble, why isn't every kid in the country up to no good? Its not an excuse. Whatever happened to kicking a ball around the street, listening to or playing music with your mates, even reading a book or having a chat. Young people these days, and I'm not exactly ancient myself, want things put on a plate for them.

There's a lot of wisdom in those words there Kenteach, have to agree with you!

For all the kids you'll see sitting around or loitering around the shopping centre etc (a small minority), you'll find many, many more are busy with their sports, music, friends and all the many hobbies, interests and pastimes that are available.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭ADTR

TheKid wrote: »
    To call club Sh!te is doing an injustice to sh!te nightclubs.Its brutal and always has been . Egan's no better!Coppers taking a lot people away from both.

Coppers is just as bad as the both of them!

we have loads of young lads up playing hurling and football they are all giving great service to sport but its unfortunately the minority on the outside looking in give everyone a bad name.

• Advertisement

ADTR wrote: »
    Coppers is just as bad as the both of them!
    its dirt since its been opened up out the back, its like a building site.

Advertisement