Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should Ireland have joined Allies in WW2

Options
12345679»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Exile 1798

arnhem44 wrote: »
    Right been right British and Americans should of been interned,Ireland in my opinion were looking after there own interests politically by handing them over,this could of been interpreted by Germany as helping the allies,any planes that were repairable were handed over and even other air crews would come into the Republic to fly them out on different occassions,whatever about handing over men,handing back a bomber for example could of caused alot more agro,"Neutrality" in Ireland seems like a very loose meaning of the word

I would assume that for a neutral country the done thing would have been to return soldiers of other countries wherever possible. Not sure.

You might be right about the political aspect as there was a great fear the Churchill would use the cover of war to re-invade the south.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭nayorleck114

Yes, They should, but its not easy to judge the ireland of then with the knowledge of today.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Morlar wrote:
    There is nothing sinister or underhand about swiss neutrality during ww2.
    Well they did let the goods trains full of Italian Jews travel through.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Agent J wrote:
    IReland on the other hand would have been a cakewalk espeically if they had troops accross the nothern border. We would have nothing that could've made a dent in their armour.
    And why the hell would he attack spain? It was neutral leaning to wards them anyway.
    totally agree re Spain
    Spain had just fought a civil war so wouldn't have been an easy nut to crack. And many of the Central Eastern European countries had their own governments. Vichy France was allowed go on for a while.

Ireland would have been a logistical nightmare. Too far away to keep supplied , long coast to keep defended. Norway had a long boarder too, but no problem getting fuel through Denmark, you could even import munitions from Sweden. Ireland could have supplied food , but that was what the east was for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

I think the devil is in the details. When exactly are you referring to ?

What was known at that time, bearing in mind how fresh the outlandish ww1 propaganda would have been to the european mind (ie the german dead soap factory fiction of WWI created by certain propaganda-ists). This would have led to a reluctance by many governments to be fooled again.

If they had known more about the presumed destination of trains full of jewish people what options would the swiss have had and what would the likely consequences be for their own people ?

I still say there is nothing sinister about their neutrality - their goal was to look after their own interests primarily, so with that in mind they had no other choice on the matter of neutrality.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

I was under the impression that Italy didn't send any jewish people to concentration camps, through ineptness as much as anything. Can you expand on the above point?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭arnhem44

I was never aware of that happening either,I know The Swiss were very slow to take in refugees and only accepted people who's lives were in danger(in very small cases),the issue of refugees coming into the country was simply to intern them as was the case of soldiers entering the country(Hague Convention) but to be honest I never heard of trains taking Jews through there,maybe they did,it would be interesting to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭DHYNZY

We're always neutral. And we were an asset to the allies as neutral. As ally, we were limited in our capability, but our neutrality could have been essential for any potential diplomatic espionage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭MarchDub

I was under the impression that Italy didn't send any jewish people to concentration camps, through ineptness as much as anything. Can you expand on the above point?

Yes, there were Italian concentration camps. Here is some information on that.

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/10/29/news/29iht-camp_ed3_.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Italian_concentration_camps

And remember the movie La Vita e'Bella [Life is Beautiful] the Italian film set in an Italian concentration camp. It won the Oscar for Best Picture in 1998 or 99. Great movie...worth checking into it you have never seen it.

Advertisement