Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"If I'm not out there training, someone else is."

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

What ..... ????? Not sure what is going on here , but I've been saving ecoli posts for years. His training plan by committee threads alone are worth the price of entry. Hope you come back.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Gavlor wrote: »
    Why is there a picture of scary men running after innocent Childers???

not children, Quirky and ecoli

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭PDCAT

I sincerely hope you change your mind ecoli. Your willingness to help and advise people around here over the past few years has been invaluable. Boards can't afford to lose contributors like yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Ghost in Cratloe

He is the hero Boards deserves, but not the one that it needs right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭TRR_the_turd

He is the hero Boards deserves, but not the one that it needs right now.

I'm actually starting a petition to keep him from registering another account! You can help me convince the population woodchopper :)

Jaysus Luke, fire up another account will you. Sure you haven't lived until you've ripped through a couple of accounts ;) In your last incarnation you were akin to Ecoli K12, a harmless bacterium that generally doesn't cause too damage. You should come back as Ecoli O157:H7, a nasty bastard that rips the $hit out of the best of people! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭thewolf_ie

This is my last post just to say goodbye! I have been injury free thanks to you. If you come back, give me a free massage, a track session, buy me taco fries and beat the Turd with my spikes I will return.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭stipes212

2797/8 posts and it comes to this....ffs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭ECOLII

Anyone sitting here? :p

Well that didn't last long :o, in hindsight I was probably a bit rash in closing my account however given the use of PM's for contact I kinda felt I had to close it in order to avoid unanswered messages and to actually take a break from here and let things die down, seems to have done the place a world of good. But fact is a) missed logging to keep me honest b)was still lurking so didn't exactly get too far

Thanks to everyone for all the messages

Drawing a line and moving on swiftly......... time for an update

I have been training away, not quite knocking it out of the park but have been consistently tipping along

Wednesday

- 2 miles easy, 3 miles MP, 2 miles HMP, 1 mile 10k w/ 2 min rec, 2 miles easy

Splits: (6.04, 6.03, 6.01) (5.51, 5.57) (5.37)

Wet windy conditions for this one as met up with Q in the park. Wasn't long before I was soaked to the skin but was in very good spirits. Garmin was acting up a bit in the first mile or two but settled down shortly after so these were just based on feel. The HMP miles Q pulled away a bit in the first one and I struggled a bit on second one in the wind but I kept the effort going, last one first half and I was going very well, perhaps too well as the wheels came off a little in the latter stages when Q's strength kicked in.

Splits for the faster stuff were a little off but effort was solid

Thursday - 8 miles easy (7.09 min pace)

Stark contrast weather as this one was nice and handy

Friday - OFF

Long day in work and treatments so I opted for a day off and couple of extra hours in bed

Saturday AM - 10 miles easy (7.17 min pace)
    PM - 4 miles easy (7.25 min pace)

Handy early one with Dublin runner around Tymon, ideal conditions for a handy run. Followed this up with a short evening run

Sunday - 2.5 miles easy, 5x1200 w/ 2.30 rec, 2.5 miles easy

Splits: 4.10, 4.10, 4.14, 4.17, 4.13

Down to Tymon for a nice little XC loop I have with a nice climb the first 200m, a fast next 600, small incline for next 100m and then fast to the finish. Led out the first two feeling fairly good however by the third one was starting to hurt, at this stage TRR was no longer following suit, struggled the 4th one as I was hurting but dug in and then a solid hard last one to regain composure. Tough session but the kind ones that I have been basing my winter off and I am hoping will stand to me when I start looking towards trying to hit a few times in the spring

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭PDCAT

Good to you have you back....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Great stuff, but couldn't you have put a bit more effort/thought into your reincarnated username, just look at that turd fella :)

TbL

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,055 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Right so - explain the username - are you missing an I ?

Welcome back !

Monday - 6.5 miles v easy (7.50 min pace)

Knocked long run on the head here, HR too high and I knew myself the session from the previous day needed more recovery from. Ran with two of middle distance guys from the club for this one and kept it nice and handy

Tuesday OFF

Flat out with treatments in the build up to DCM by time I actually had a chance to head out I was flaked

Wednesday 8 miles easy (7.33 min pace)

Struggling again to get out with the workload so didn't manage to get a double, ran again with one of the middle distance lads from the club, felt better for getting out though

Thursday AM - 3 mile w/u 1 mile , 5k tempo, 4x600 3 c/d (2.30/2.30/1.30 rec)
    Lunch - Gym
    PM - 6 easy (7.38 min pace)

Splits 5.28, 17.59 (5.47, 5.46, 5.46), 1.56, 1.56, 1.55, 1.56

Treatments spaced out so had a few hours here and there so made the best use of my time down to the track for the session. Aim for the mile was 10k pace, thought I may be a little sluggish but managed to hit it despite being a little windy. bit of a recovery and then onto the tempo this was the first time I had done any sort of tempo work on the track in a while and managed to maintain solid effort with surprising paces. The 600s were up next and with 90 sec (jog 200 rec) these were just about 3k turnover pace, felt with that recovery could have maintained that pace forever. Very happy with the session

Followed that up with a solid Gym session and then later in the day met tRR for the 6 miles but to be honest that was a struggle as I was fried.

Friday - 4.5 miles recovery (9.08 min pace)

Was back to the full time job today as well as having a club in with me for light pre marathon flush outs so just had the half hour, took it nice and handy just to get the bloodflow going

Saturday - 5 miles easy (7.34 min pace)

Was supposed to get in a second run but was exhausted so ended up giving it a miss

Sunday - 2 miles easy 4 @ MP, 2 easy

Splits: 6.11, 6.07, 6.08, 6.14

Supposed to be alot longer than it was however I was struggling for motivation on a windy day and ended up coming to a stop momentarily at 4 miles. It was only after a long laboured jog back and a bit of a dizzy spell that I realized dizziness was actually sickness..... DAMN YOU MAN FLU!!! (Something similar happened earlier in the year when I stubbornly aimed to complete a tempo after a few failed attempts). I think it was a combination of the coming and going of clients as well as overdoing it on the Thursday that finally did me in)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Great to see you back Ecoli(i) :D

Great stuff, but couldn't you have put a bit more effort/thought into your reincarnated username, just look at that turd fella :)
    TbL

Didn't wanna mess with a boards-wide brand :D
    Right so - explain the username - are you missing an I ?

Welcome back !

Ha nope only my second incarnation, using Roman numerals actually has a fair bit of significance to my life both past and present so ties in better than people might think

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭KielyUnusual

The King is dead, long live the King.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Woo hoo welcome back :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

Very happy to see you back !

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Yay!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,055 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

ECOLII wrote: »
    Didn't wanna mess with a boards-wide brand :D

Ha nope only my second incarnation, using Roman numerals actually has a fair bit of significance to my life both past and present so ties in better than people might think

But II is Roman numeral for 2 so you've called yourself ecol the second.

Which puts a whole new slant on the old handle as I thought that was ecoli the bacteria and not ecol the first :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Welcome back.

• Advertisement

Which puts a whole new slant on the old handle as I thought that was ecoli the bacteria and not ecol the first :)

It was a play on the Roman numeral/Name combo had there been another I people would probably be looking for the tripe I spouted under a second account ;)

Back two minutes and already getting criticized (and not even for some of the stupid crap pulled the last week in training which is yet to come :p)

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭conavitzky

Great stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭TRR_the_turd

I knew there was an unhealthy smell of $hite when I fired up my browser and pointed it towards boards.ie

+1
    It was a play on the Roman numeral/Name combo had there been another I people would probably be looking for the tripe I spouted under a second account ;)

Just admit it, you fcuked up your new username.

Now I know you haven't as much experience as I do of closing and reopening boards accounts but you could have used your imagination. Your initial handle was ecoli so you could have went with ecoliII. That would have worked perfectly. Listen, do yourself a favour and close the new account down and reopen another.
    Back two minutes and already getting criticized corrected
    FYP

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Delighted you're back man.

Monday OFF

Out on the course for DCM in the morning before work, not a structured run but did manage to get to 3 mile, 15k, 12 mile, 20 mile and 24 mile marks over the course of the morning so managed to cover some decent mileage not feeling the worst (probably due to seeing the harsh conditions people had to deal with making illness feel like nothing in comparison). Had planned on doing a run after work however sickness came to a head and bagged it and took the Tuesday off work as a precaution to shake it once and for all

Tuesday OFF

Took day off and did my best Marthastew imitation with home made soup and really focused on getting lots of sleep, water and good foods into me, thankfully it did the trick

Wednesday AM 5 miles easy (7.12 min pace)
    Wednesday PM 2 miles easy 20+4 x 400m (5k/3k) w/ 45/75 sec recovery, 2 miles easy

Splits
    81, 78, 78, 79, 78,
    78, 78, 78, 78, 78,
    79, 78, 79, 79, 78,
    80, 77, 79, 79, 80,
    73, 72, 72, 73

**STUPIDITY DISCLAIMER**
    The below/above training was performed by a bonafide idiot and should not be attempted at home

Over the last while I have been managing a little bit of a plantar niggle, nothing stopping me running but good bit of tightness and attempted to get it ironed out the previous week with a massage to no avail so I booked in to get it needed this morning. Looking through history both me and the therapist were fairly unanimous in the cause, a while back I started wearing a minimalist flat with a wide toe box which prevented me from putting the orthotic into them, I had been rotating them in every 3/4th run but over the last while had thought I had managed to transition more permanently out of the orthotic which we think combining with doing easy runs in such a light weight shoe was the issue.

Rather than take the day off as I would have recommended to any of my own clients I foolishly convinced myself to go out given that I had missed two days through illness and given that it was a niggle rather than an injury thought I would be grand. First run done in other shoes and was no problem, had planned on wearing other shoes for session on track but couldn't find them in the car when landed at the clubhouse so figured I would be grand.

Session went very well, legs felt good and the quicker reps at the end were a good confidence boost as I have been adding a little turnover to sessions over last few weeks. Little bit of a twinge by the end on foot but nothing drastic. Next day however was a different matter.....

Thursday 30 min elliptical machine (recovery effort) + GYM

Went to do a recovery run got 20m down the road and Lionel Richie kicked in ("my mind is saying yes, but my body is telling me no") turned straight back around and jumped in car down to the gym as a precaution

Friday 10 min easy, 90 min hard, 10 easy elliptical

Plan called for a 15 mile steady session today but given the foot I did this on elliptical as a precaution. Hardest thing I have done in my life and probably lost about half my weight in sweat by the end but HR was kept high and effort was good so was better than nothing.

Saturday 7 miles easy (7.48 min pace)

Handy one in PP with Q for this one, foot felt fine (although some of the non specific running muscles were locked up pretty tight from the elliptical session but more DOMS tightness than anything) Didn't look at the watch till after just kept it nice and handy

Sunday OFF

No reason just got lazy when got in from work.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭paddybarry

Monday OFF

Out on the course for DCM in the morning before work, not a structured run but did manage to get to 3 mile, 15k, 12 mile, 20 mile and 24 mile marks over the course of the morning so managed to cover some decent mileage not feeling the worst (probably due to seeing the harsh conditions people had to deal with making illness feel like nothing in comparison). Had planned on doing a run after work however sickness came to a head and bagged it and took the Tuesday off work as a precaution to shake it once and for all

Tuesday OFF

Took day off and did my best Marthastew imitation with home made soup and really focused on getting lots of sleep, water and good foods into me, thankfully it did the trick

Wednesday AM 5 miles easy (7.12 min pace)
    Wednesday PM 2 miles easy 20+4 x 400m (5k/3k) w/ 45/75 sec recovery, 2 miles easy

Splits
    81, 78, 78, 79, 78,
    78, 78, 78, 78, 78,
    79, 78, 79, 79, 78,
    80, 77, 79, 79, 80,
    73, 72, 72, 73

**STUPIDITY DISCLAIMER**
    The below above training was performed by a bonafide idiot and should not be attempted at home

Over the last while I have been managing a little bit of a plantar niggle, nothing stopping me running but good bit of tightness and attempted to get it ironed out the previous week with a massage to no avail so I booked in to get it needed this morning. Looking through history both me and the therapist were fairly unanimous in the cause, a while back I started wearing a minimalist flat with a wide toe box which prevented me from putting the orthotic into them, I had been rotating them in every 3/4th run but over the last while had thought I had managed to transition more permanently out of the orthotic which we think combining with doing easy runs in such a light weight shoe was the issue.

Rather than take the day off as I would have recommended to any of my own clients I foolishly convinced myself to go out given that I had missed two days through illness and given that it was a niggle rather than an injury thought I would be grand. First run done in other shoes and was no problem, had planned on wearing other shoes for session on track but couldn't find them in the car when landed at the clubhouse so figured I would be grand.

Session went very well, legs felt good and the quicker reps at the end were a good confidence boost as I have been adding a little turnover to sessions over last few weeks. Little bit of a twinge by the end on foot but nothing drastic. Next day however was a different matter.....

Thursday 30 min elliptical machine (recovery effort) + GYM

Went to do a recovery run got 20m down the road and Lionel Richie kicked in ("my mind is saying yes, but my body is telling me no") turned straight back around and jumped in car down to the gym as a precaution

Friday 10 min easy, 90 min hard, 10 easy elliptical

Plan called for a 15 mile steady session today but given the foot I did this on elliptical as a precaution. Hardest thing I have done in my life and probably lost about half my weight in sweat by the end but HR was kept high and effort was good so was better than nothing.

Saturday 7 miles easy (7.48 min pace)

Handy one in PP with Q for this one, foot felt fine (although some of the non specific running muscles were locked up pretty tight from the elliptical session but more DOMS tightness than anything) Didn't look at the watch till after just kept it nice and handy

Sunday OFF

No reason just got lazy when got in from work.
    Is that 45 sec recovery (jog?) after each rep and 75 second recovery (jog?) after each set?

How would I figure out what pace I should be doing these at? I'd imagine that would be a suitable session for 5k? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

I knew there was an unhealthy smell of $hite when I fired up my browser and pointed it towards boards.ie

+1

Just admit it, you fcuked up your new username.

Now I know you haven't as much experience as I do of closing and reopening boards accounts but you could have used your imagination. Your initial handle was ecoli so you could have went with ecoliII. That would have worked perfectly. Listen, do yourself a favour and close the new account down and reopen another.

FYP

With your username the smell was probably waftin from your fingers ya faecal fecker :)

TbL

Monday AM 3 miles easy 4x 0.95 miles w/2.30 rec, 3 easy
    Monday PM 5.5 miles easy (7.24 min pace)

Splits 5.38, 5.37, 5.39, 5.44

Decided to intentionally make these just short of a mile as I did a similar one in PP on a fairly dry day and this one was in Tymon on wet mucky ground being alot hillier and windy conditions. The whole point of this winter block to try keep training consistent and avoid having comparable sessions in a hope to try and get into good fitness without realising it (to avoid temptation of jumping on the roads chasing times)

Tuesday 5 miles easy (7.23 min pace)

Handy one starting to feel properly like winter, in one way I am kinda enjoying it

Wednesday 9 miles easy (7.14 min pace)

Another cold one. Ran with tRR for this one. Was a bit of a weird one, pace felt fast, was actually slow but I felt good. Putting it down to the cold weather but all in all felt good

ThursdayOFF

Friday AM 6 miles easy (7.20 min pace)

Just a handy one to get the legs going, gonna head out to the BHAA tomorrow morning just to get in a race as it has been a while, dunno what to expect but will enjoy it none the less.

paddybarry wrote: »
    Is that 45 sec recovery (jog?) after each rep and 75 second recovery (jog?) after each set?

How would I figure out what pace I should be doing these at? I'd imagine that would be a suitable session for 5k? Thanks.

The 45 sec's is a 100m jog, the 75 sec was a standing recovery

Normally I aim to do these between 3-5k pace but I always find it handy enough to rattle out quicker fours (always have) so I would say something along the lines of 5k pace is fine. These is a great 5k session as you are effectively getting 5 miles continuous (20x400) with 4 of them at 5k pace and enough recovery to make it a doable session however I would also state that I have built these up from 12 over the past few years so obviously adjust for your weekly mileage etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Went to do a recovery run got 20m down the road and Lionel Richie kicked in ("my mind is saying yes, but my body is telling me no")

Lionel bleedin' Richie.........would ya f£ck off.
    Yer ma must have told you about him.

welcome back btw.

Advertisement