Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"If I'm not out there training, someone else is."

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Day|Training|Distance|Pace|Time
    Tuesday|Session|9.5 miles| mile pace|

Session:
    2 miles easy,
    1 mile jog bends/stride straights
    12x600m w/ 1 min rec
    2 miles easy

Splits:
    1.58, 1.56, 2.00, 1.58, 1.59, 1.59, 1.59, 1.58, 1.58, 1.58, 1.59, 1.55

Down to the track with drquirky for this one tonight. Body was sore after last night but mainly in the upper body and hip flexors so didnt slow me down however the form was not great just from the upper body DOMS. This was a fairly tough session but not ball busting. Ended up slight fast the first 200m of most reps but I was steady the next four hundred.

Body in a heap but in a good way. What doesnt kill you makes you stronger and all that:D

Feb Targets
    300 miles|194.67 left
    Run every day| 12/13
    12 Supplementary Sessions| 3/3
    4 Speed Development Sessions| 1/1
    4 Recovery Runs|1/4

Weekly mileage|15.62 miles
    MTD|105.33 miles
    YTD|372.35 miles

Wednesday|Speed Development|7.75 miles| mile pace|

Session:
    1 mile warm up,
    Form drills,
    4*60m accelerations
    3x200m flat out w/8 min active rec
    1 mile cooldown

4.75 miles easy

Splits:27.4, 28.5, 27.1

I think this must be some form of record as I can't remember the last time I have got 3 nights in a row down at the club. DOMS is finally wearing off and actually getting into a routine of feeling better as the week goes on despite the fact that I end up accumulating a good bit of quality in the legs.

One of the 800m runners from the club was doing a few laps of the track so I was able to get a fresh pair of eyes on my form and relay feedback which I have to say helped a good bit. 1st rep was solid but I was running too rigid and no knee drive. After this rep got caught in the most almighty of downpours on the jog (was running 600m recs).

Next one I tried to focus on running relaxed but to be honest didnt quite work as much as I would have liked the upper body loosened up slightly but legs were still not getting knee drive and ended up being on the slow side.

Come the last one I really was focusing on form and felt a good bit better in terms of knee drive. This showed in the split with a 27.1 which left me happy. This also coupled with the fact that I didnt feel half as bad after it (quite wobbly legged the first week)

Up to the house then and a quick change of clothes and met up with TRR for a few handy miles. Tougher than this pace should have been but this was just from the speed stuff and to be expected

200m Speed Progression
    Week|1|3
    Rep 1|27.5|27.4
    Rep 2|28.1|28.5
    Rep 3||27.1
    Recovery|9 min|8min

Feb Targets
    300 miles|186.92 left
    Run every day| 12/13
    12 Supplementary Sessions| 3/3
    4 Speed Development Sessions| 3/3
    4 Recovery Runs|1/4

Weekly mileage|23.37 miles
    MTD|113.08 miles
    YTD|380.01 miles

The last week or so has been a bit all over the place so time to finally update this

Thursday|Recovery Run|4 miles|N/A mile pace| N/A

This did not go to plan. I had everything timed to perfection here in getting a hill session done after work and then home for a massage I had booked in at seven. Ended up working late and with traffic couldnt fit in session before I had the client booked in so I thought I would get it done after however got the keys to the new house also so ended up taking longer moving some stuff to the new house so in the end all I had time for was a few very handy miles

Friday AM|Easy Run|4 miles|7.01 mile pace| 28.04
    Friday AM|Recovery Run|4 miles|8.10 mile pace| 32.40

Day off work and alot of moving and trying to sort things so I only did two very light runs. Felt fairly crap on the second one tbh

Sat AM|Race|8 miles|mile pace|
    Sat PM|Easy Run|3.45 miles|7.57mile pace|27.25

Ended up doing Park run. The plan was to use the race as a good effort tempo session. I knew quirky was gunning for sub 17 so I thought I would be able to pace him through the first three km and let him push on from there and see what I had left. 1st Km was perfect pace but quirky had pushed on with the leaders and left a few of us in their wake. From here I was running controlled and not all out yet despite this was working a little harder than I should have been and the pace was dropping. I started to reel the lads in but had left myself way too much to do. Still all in all it was a solid work out and good to get it in at what I hope will be in or around 10k come april

Splits:

Finishing time: 17.17

Went for an evening run then with one of the house mates but had to stop and cut this short as I was wretching pretty bad and was ready to throw up. Put it down to snacking on cashew nuts just over an hour before the run

Sunday|Easy Run|6.42 miles|7.23 mile pace|47.24

Another horrible run 3 stops in the space of 6 miles and just felt crap couldnt explain it

Monday|Warm up, Plyos + Circuits, Cooldown|5 miles|N/A mile pace|

Woke up this morning and finally got an explanation of what I was feeling crap the last two days on my runs. Woke up with slightly swollen glands and the head spinning so I knew I was getting a bit of the man flu. Wrapped up to the nines and jogged over to the club and did a light circuit and plyo session in the comfort of the indoors

Tuesday|OFF|miles|mile pace|

Swallowed my pride here and decided to take the day off and try to shake this thing properly before it got too bad.

Wednesday|Easy Run|5 miles|7.32 mile pace|37.43

Kept this one short and handy just so I can try get rid of this thing. Thankfully was feeling a bit better in terms of not needing to throw up or stop while out running and was good to have the company of two of the new house mates

Thursday|Cruise Intervals|10 miles| mile pace|

Session:
    3 miles warm up,
    Form drills + 1 mile jog bends/stride straights
    5x1 mile w/ 1 min recovery
    1 mile cooldown

Splits: 5.38, 5.37, 5.36, 5.33, 5.31

Decided to do a light session tonight as I was over the worst of this dose thankfully. Hit the first rep and felt very easy, same again on the next rep. By third I was quite comfortable although the breathing was still very heavy from the blocked nose and the coughing. I must have looked some sight coughing up phelgm and all sorts as I was going along. The 4th one some of the middle distance lads were running 600m s and as the passed me I sort of latched on to the back of the group for about 100m. This was enough to take a few seconds off the rep time. The next one I aimed to hold this but ended up being slightly faster. All in all was very happy with the way the session went but I am not gonna get carried away as I know this session was done on fresh legs given the very light load because of the flu this week

Fri|Easy Run|6.5 miles|6.54 mile pace|44.56

Handy one tonight. Body seems to be back to normal though the breathing still not right and I am stil coughing and spluttering but finally loaded up on the lemsips and uni flu s so hopefully will shake this over the weekend and be back full training come monday

Feb Targets
    300 miles|130.55 left
    Run every day| 20/22
    12 Supplementary Sessions| 512
    4 Speed Development Sessions| 3/4
    4 Recovery Runs|3/4

Weekly mileage|26.5 miles
    MTD|169.45 miles
    YTD|436.38 miles

Saturday|Easy Run|6.25 miles|7.09 mile pace|44.44

Day off today so into town for lunch with a few of the lads heading to Gothenburg next week (unfortunately I am on my sports therapy course all weekend so could go and cheer them on). Then headed down to Athlone but had to stop in to Runworx to pick up one of the lads. The aim was to pick up a passenger but in the end came out with a pair of Kinvara's, pair of fast twitch and a few other bits and bobs on top of that :o

Then down to athlone for some great races. First time in the new stadium and was very impressed with both the track and the facility. Some top quality races on show and was good to see the organisers efforts reap the rewards of their hard work getting this meet up and running with an all comers record and a Euro qualifier.

Was late home but dying to run so had to reel myself back in until I fully shake this. Should be back to full training monday but I am happy enough with the fact that I have been able to manage to keep ticking over this week

Feb Targets
    300 miles|124.3 left
    Run every day| 21/23
    12 Supplementary Sessions| 5/12
    4 Recovery Runs|3/4

Weekly mileage|32.75 miles
    MTD|175.7 miles
    YTD|442.62 miles

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭thirstywork2

You going to do any track this year?

• Advertisement

You going to do any track this year?

Thats the plan anyway spend the next two months getting into full shape and then hit the track for the summer with 1500-5k mainly

Sunday|Off| miles| mile pace|

Wasn't full over the sickness and felt the running every day was dragging it out longer than it should so I reluctantly took the day off but thankfully feeling all the better for it

Monday|Easy Run, circuits + plyos|5 miles|7.15 mile pace|

Brisk enough warm up over to the club for circuits and plyos with the sprinters tonight and felt back to my old self thankfully so this week back in full training and hopefully push on from here with no more little set backs.

Feb Targets
    300 miles|119.3 left
    Run every day| 22/25
    12 Supplementary Sessions| 6/12
    4 Recovery Runs|3/4

Weekly mileage|5 miles
    MTD|180.7 miles
    YTD|447.62 miles

Tuesday|Session|10.75 miles||

Session
    3 mile warm up,
    drills + 1 mile jog bends/ stride straights
    16x400m w/ 1 min rec
    2.75 miles cooldown

Splits
    77, 76, 75, 75, 75, 73, 75, 72,
    74, 73, 74, 72, 73, 74, 72, 72.

Back to the grind tonight with a progression in training. 3-4 weeks ago I did 20x400 off 45 however the plan was to increase the recovery ever so slightly and also increase the pace. The plan was for roughly 75-76s and set off the first few grand. come the sixth one some of the middle distance lads who are a bit younger hoped in with me. It worked out well as they were doing faster 600m s so I would pace then through four hundred and they would jump in then every second rep.
    This slightly changed the dynamic of the session and the fact that I was leading a group around as opposed to solo running kept me a bit more honest and as such the pace increased a bit. At first I was thinking it was unsustainable however as I went on I was feeling good and feeling that the pace was manageable and even was able to push myself on the solo ones a bit harder. All in all was good to have the lads there to get me out of my comfort zone

Feb Targets
    300 miles|108.55 left
    Run every day| 23/26
    12 Supplementary Sessions| 6/12
    4 Recovery Runs|3/4

Weekly mileage|15.75 miles
    MTD|191.45 miles
    YTD|458.37 miles

Wednesday|Speed development|7 miles||

Session
    2.5 mile warm up,
    drills + 4x60m accelerations
    4x150m w/ 5 min rec (650m jog)
    2.5 miles cooldown

Splits
    20.3, 20.1, 20.2, 20.3

Gym Session
    2 x 3 supersets 10 reps
    (Squats/ Clean and press)
    (Lunge/ Bent over row)

6 min core (12 exercises, 30sec no recovery)

8 x 1 min plyos
    Depth drops (both legs), side jumps, tuck jumps, single leg tuck jumps (both legs), medicine ball throws, over head medicine ball throws

I dunno if it was the fact that I missed last weeks speed development session with flu or just tired from last nights session but form was a bit of tonight I was not relaxed and tightened up a good bit on the reps and was trying to force it which was reflected in the times

Then into the gym and a solid workout which really had me working so even though it was a light mileage day the effort was definitely there. Thankfully next week I am off on wednesday so I can get a morning run in before this sort of session so I am not compromising mileage with the supplimentary work I am putting in this season

Feb Targets
    300 miles|101.55 left
    Run every day| 24/27
    12 Supplementary Sessions| 7/12
    4 Speed Development Sessions| 4/4
    4 Recovery Runs|3/4

Weekly mileage|23.75 miles
    MTD|198.45 miles
    YTD|464.37 miles

Thursday|Hills|9.1 miles||

Session
    3 miles easy,
    8x1 min hills
    3 miles easy

Glutes were very tight from gym last night and body generally heavy making these tough. This was not gonna be one of those sessions you walk away from thinking "I am in such great shape" but rather "I just gotta dig in and get it done"

Throughout the session I had three voices whispering in my ear;

1st Captain coward - essentially telling me it hurt and just pack it in and trying to justify a decent week I have had so far. It was my birthday relax and treat myself to a few brewskis and cake

2nd came Mr. Bravado - this guy was calling me a wimp telling me it was not gonna be a good session unless I hit 10 reps

lastly came Dr.common sense - he knew the body was tired from last two days and even though I was working hard dont over do it for the sake of being a workout warrior and knew 8 was enough as I was coming to the stage that anything more would be flogging a dead horse

........... Sense prevailed

Feb Targets
    300 miles|92.45 left
    Run every day| 25/28
    12 Supplementary Sessions| 8/12
    4 Speed Development Sessions| 4/4
    4 Recovery Runs|3/4

Weekly mileage|32.85 miles
    MTD|207.55 miles
    YTD|473.47 miles

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Happy Birthday Boss!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Whahhhh? It's your birthday!!!!! Well....HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! :D:D:D Hope you had the very best of days and were treated to a big heaping of birthday cake and ice cream. :)

Feb Targets
    300 miles|92.45 left|Fail
    Run every day| 25/28|Fail
    12 Supplementary Sessions| 8/12| Fail
    4 Speed Development Sessions| 4/4| Completed
    4 Recovery Runs|3/4| Fail

Despite The cold hard facts here I am not overly disappointed with this month given moving into a new house and the flu I actually got a good bit done. Mileage still a little low but the quality was still there and the sessions were good as well as the consistency so just keep plugging away and the mileage will come naturally

March Targets
    300 miles|
    Run every day|
    12 Supplementary Sessions| 0/12
    4 Speed Development Sessions| 0/4
    Sub 35 10k|

My first competitive race since I have got back into decent shape Not a hundred per cent of the profile of the course but I have heard a few hills and knowing the area that is not fully surprising all the same I feel that I can pinch a PB and dip under the 35 min

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭Ceepo

ecoli wrote: »

Session
    3 mile warm up,
    16x400m w/ 1 min rec
    2.75 miles cooldown

Splits

Back to the grind tonight with a progression in training. 3-4 weeks ago I did 20x400 off 45 however the plan was to increase the recovery ever so slightly and also increase the pace. The plan was for roughly 75-76s and set off the first few grand.

Great session there ecoli,
    Just wondering what your logic in running them faster of longer recovery,
    (just curious)

Friday|Easy Run|5.2 miles|7.12 mile pace|37.24

Just a handy run before heading down to Galway for course this weekend.

Saturday|Progression Run|8 miles|6.21 mile pace|50.37

Session: 1 mile easy,
    6 miles progression (35.47/5.58 mile pace)
    1 mile easy

Splits: 6.21, 6.11, 6.01, 5.52, 5.47, 5.35

Made a big error here regarding progressions - Course profile can make huge difference:D. Didnt know the layout so kinda just followed my feet.. Unfortunatley the feet were in the mood for hills so found a nice little loop of about 2.2 mile. This loop consisted of the following; short sharp hill, nice little down hill, biatch of a hill,nice gradual decline, long drag of an incline back to start. As such the miles were all over the place in terms of effort with the 6.11 and the 5.47s probably being 2 of the hardest. The last mile was flat and actually not that bad at all legs were feeling the few miles before though. Even though the pace was not majorly impressive overall I was really impressed with the effort and delighted with how it went and given the fact next race is supposed to have a few hills prob not a bad idea to throw in a few here and there in training

Sunday|Long Run|13.7 miles|7.02 mile pace|1.36.26

Legs were a bit heavy from MET work on the course today but felt good and was cruising along without too much effort. Happy enough with how the legs went

Feb Targets
    300 miles|273.1 left
    Run every day| 3/3
    12 Supplementary Sessions| 0/12
    Sub 35 10k|

Weekly mileage|59.55 miles
    MTD|26.9 miles
    YTD|500.37 miles

Ceepo wrote: »

Session
    3 mile warm up,
    16x400m w/ 1 min rec
    2.75 miles cooldown

Splits

Back to the grind tonight with a progression in training. 3-4 weeks ago I did 20x400 off 45 however the plan was to increase the recovery ever so slightly and also increase the pace. The plan was for roughly 75-76s and set off the first few grand.

Great session there ecoli,
    Just wondering what your logic in running them faster of longer recovery,
    (just curious)

The initial session was a more 10k based session to transition from base buiding tempo work still working on strength but as my strength has progressed over the last two months I am now starting to work on aerobic capacity and more 5k style session. The overall plan is progressive as I work through the session going from strength to speed as the focus is 1500-5k track season this year

Monday|Easy Run + Gym work|8.9 miles|7.17 mile pace|64.24

Left the car at work and rang up to the club to make sure that I got my run in as well as the gym work. Over the last few weeks it has been the supplementary days where mileage has been dropped so even though I have been training as hard as ever overall mileage wise I have not been where I should be so I am going to have to start creeping that up.

Tonight consisted of;
    6.3 mile run,
    3 x 12 exercise circuits (30 sec on 30 sec off) 3 min rec between sets
    30 min hip mobility work and bounds
    2.6 mile run

By the time the run home came down I was regretting leaving the car in work and the body was suffering though all in all I feel this stuff is helping and I am getting stronger

Tuesday AM|Easy Run|5.17 miles|7.42 mile pace|39.49

As a way to force me to get the early run in this morning the car was in work from last night so had no choice but to run in so in a sleepy haze I stumbled my way into working b!tching and moaning the whole way about how tired I was (not one for morning training this days) still job done and hopefully I will get back used to them and start creeping the mileage back up for the next few months as long as trying to increase the mileage does not compromise consistency

March Targets
    300 miles|259.03 left
    Run every day| 5/5
    12 Supplementary Sessions| 1/12
    Sub 35 10k|

Weekly mileage|14.07 miles
    MTD|40.97 miles
    YTD|514.44 miles

Tuesday PM|Session|10.1 miles| mile pace|

Session:
    3.1 miles easy
    drills, 1 mile jog bends/stride straights
    10x600m w/ 200m jog (90 sec recovery)
    1 mile easy

Splits:
    1.54, 1.53, 1.53, 1.52, 1.53, 1.53, 1.51, 1.53, 1.52, 1.48

Calfs were suffering from bounds last night and the body in general not great so wasn't expect too much, even on the warm up I had considered pushing the session back a day but knew it was just my bodies way of trying to chicken out. I then hit the 3 stages of pain as the session progressed.

Stage 1) I thought I was gonna die
    Stage 2) I wanted to die

and finally the worst of the lot

Stage 3) Someone reassured me that I wasn't gonna:(

I dunno what it is about 600ms though something just seems to make them an easier distance I think the body is expecting 800ms and the pain associated so when you come around half of the second lap that you kinda feel they arent much worse than 400ms and the body is surprised when it stops

All in all very happy with the session and the fact I could complete the 10 (when my mind kept telling me to leave it at eight throughout the session) and even manage to bust out a good final one when I had to dig in when the body was toast

Followed up with a good stretching session as I watched a ref ruin a great tactical set up from Fergie:mad::mad::mad::mad:

March Targets
    300 miles|248.93 left
    Run every day| 5/5
    12 Supplementary Sessions| 2/12
    Sub 35 10k|

Weekly mileage|24.17 miles
    MTD|51.07 miles
    YTD|524.54 miles

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Oregano_State

That is amazing running. Respect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭KielyUnusual

That's some session. I did something similar about two weeks ago except with 8 repeats and times a few seconds slower and that was really tough. That'll give you some confidence for the 10k later in the month.

That's some session. I did something similar about two weeks ago except with 8 repeats and times a few seconds slower and that was really tough. That'll give you some confidence for the 10k later in the month.

Cheers man

I am trying not to get too hung up on individual sessions whether they go good or bad but trying to keep them in context of the overall training but it has been going well as of late so I am going in the right direction as long as I keep the consistency

Wednesday AM|Recovery run|2.8 miles| 8.48 mile pace|25.20
    Wednesday PM|Recovery run|4.5 miles| 8.11 mile pace|36.37

This morning was just a short recovery run as planned after the Tuesday session as I am being conscious of keeping the consistency and stringing a good few of these months strung together

Was meeting up with a study group for afternoon for the sports massage course so I figured I would have one of the lads give the legs a quick going over after we did the theory stuff however the lad had to cancel last min so I got the theory stuff but didn't get the massage done so I will have to wait till another day

Legs were still very heavy by the evening so I decided to listen to the body and push the speed development stuff to another day. I knew doing it tonight would not yield the benefits I want given that the fatigued muscles were going to inhibit fast twitch fiber recruitment

In the end just did a handy run with one of the lads who was in for a treatment with me in the evening

March Targets
    300 miles|241.63 left
    Run every day| 6/6
    Sub 35 10k|

Weekly mileage|31.47 miles
    MTD|58.37 miles
    YTD|531.84 miles

Thursday |Tempo Run|9 miles| 6.51 mile pace|1.011.39

Session: 2.5 miles easy, 4 mile tempo, 2.5 miles easy

4 miles in 23.11 (5.48 mile pace)
    Splits:
    5.50, 5.48, 5.49, 5.44

This tempo was a bit tougher than it should have been and the legs still had a bit of DOMS there from Tuesdays session as such swapped around a planned hill session and my weekend tempo. 1st and third mile I was expecting to be quicker given the effort and profile of the course but I think the wind was worse than I though in terms of affecting the pace.

Not happy about the times but happy about being able to dig in when I was hurting. Hitting the fast rep times is great for confidence and all but its them tough sessions when you are not 100% that are the make or break factors when you are hurting in the latter stages of a race

300 miles|232.63 left
    Run every day| 7/7
    Sub 35 10k|

Weekly mileage|40.47 miles
    MTD|67.37 miles
    YTD|540.84 miles

Ended up getting a bit of a shock when the body decided that enough was enough between work, study and training so ended up taking a bit of an enforced break for a few days last weekend.

Came back to running last tuesday with the plan of doing 800ms. cwgatling was at the club so ended up having company however this was short lived as my body once again reminded me I can't just go from nothing for a few days to a session and despite hitting the splits for the first three reps body felt all over the place (phantom pains and stride felt awkward) in the end nailed it on the head after 4 reps (2.42, 2.42, 2.42,2.49)

The rest of the week was a handful of easy runs and felt generally good for race on Sunday. Conditions were muck and the course was tough enough that was going to be a difficult run still I said I would give it a lash. First mile was flat followed by a few climbs (nothing too drastic) and an almighty headwind.

First mile I went off not looking at the watch however after about a k I was breathing heavier than I should have. It was with good reason though as I looked at the watch to see 5.07 mile pace. Managed to slow this down to 5.20 as came through the mile marker but damage was already done.

Next mile was manageable however and was still on course for something respectable as I was tipping along in the low 5.40s (dont have the watch on me to get exact splits). During this mile the lace came loose and tried to ignore it for a while but to no avail and about 4k in I conceded and stopped to tie it. At this point a group of about 4 runners passed me and I thought that if I could catch up with them I would get through the head wind. Never happened though as I neither gain nor lost ground over the next 3k (came through 5k in 17.49)

This few km I struggled big time and I was out near 6.30 pace between the hills and the wind. By the time I managed to turn out of the wind and into the home stretch I was already toast. Managed to dig in hard to not allow myself be passed again but laboured over the line in 37.03 which is probably my slowest 10k ever.

Followed this up with an easy 5 miler Monday to loosen out the legs as they were in a bad way from the race (the rolling hills I say moreso than the effort)

Yesterday then down at the club the middle distance group were having a 1500m time trial and I decided to hop in and see if I could restore a bit of confidence after the weekend. The last while I have been working on basic speed and the sessions have been ticking over nicely but the mileage has been low so I thought that perhaps a middle distance race would be a way of highlighting that the training is going well and that it is just a case that the strength is lacking.

Legs still not 100% right but not too bad after the easy run the day before. There was a good group for it, some of the younger athletes were only doing 700m so were designated to be pace makers. Outside of that you had a group of runners in the 4.15-4.30 range so I figured anything around 4.25-4.30 would be decent given the conditions.

Whistle went and the pacers and quicker guys immediately shot to the front. I slotted in near the back knowing that I had not done 1500m specific stuff I was gonna be at a disadvantage. Hit the 400m in about 6th in 63:eek: waayyy too fast and knew it was gonna be a long way around though despite this I felt fairly fluid.
    The second lap I slowed purposely because I knew pace was too hot to handle, despite this started making my way up through the field even though the 2nd 400m was slow as we came around in 2.17. At this stage the younger lads had pulled off and had taken a few casualties with them. At this stage I was eyeing one of the younger lads who is a 4.12 runner I knew he was hurting so I thought if I could catch him we would drive each other on. about 950m in and I came up on his shoulder and thought this would spur him on as he had been out in front for a long time and I thought he had just gotten complacent. Ended up brushing straight by and he had no reaction.
    At 1200m I was at 3.33 which though it was slow the fact I was running on my own on a cold wet Tues night wasn't the worse. Rather than completely fall off I had it in my head the other guy was going to completely blow me away with a kick so with 300m to go I was winding it up and crossed the line in 4.27. Was happy with the effort and acted as a good workout as I went on to do 2 lap jog followed up by 5x200m w/ 1 min rec. The splits were

31, 33, 33, 33, 33

legs felt good during these but I wasn't aiming to kill it more just keeping race pace and actually felt quite controlled. Despite the time not being great and the pacing being all over the place the manner in which I raced the time trial gave me a bit of confidence.

(Apologies for story book making up for my absence of posting the last week :D)

Edit: Race splits for 10k: 5.20, 5.45, 5.53, 6.08, 6.32, 6.00, (5.06 pace)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭thirstywork2

63 first lap haha that is just crazy.if you had of went out 67-68 you could have ran low 4.20id say.Did 1200m time trial last week and it's nice to do them this time of the year.Hopefully in the summer we will be looking back wondering how where so slow :)

63 first lap haha that is just crazy.if you had of went out 67-68 you could have ran low 4.20id say.Did 1200m time trial last week and it's nice to do them this time of the year.Hopefully in the summer we will be looking back wondering how where so slow :)

I agree with you better pacing and I would have been a good bit quicker which bodes well considering I am only a 4.21 man at best. Made the mistake of getting sucked along with the pace out of everyone it was me and Spud taking up the rear (the old men of the race:D) so you can imagine how fast they went off. Feel that come the summer though that time will be severely revised

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

63 first lap haha that is just crazy

All been there, for the goal mile on Xmas day this year, I stupidly pulled a 64 1st lap (for 409m), paid for that and had to jog the final 200!
    I agree with you better pacing and I would have been a good bit quicker which bodes well considering I am only a 4.21 man at best.

Keep up the work and that 4.21 is certainly there for the taking this year! I did a mile myself in 4.48 lastnight, so in a similar shape to your 4.27 1500, I'm sure we'll be knocking lumps outa eachother over the summer!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Ended up getting a bit of a shock when the body decided that enough was enough between work, study and training so ended up taking a bit of an enforced break for a few days last weekend.

Came back to running last tuesday with the plan of doing 800ms. cwgatling was at the club so ended up having company however this was short lived as my body once again reminded me I can't just go from nothing for a few days to a session and despite hitting the splits for the first three reps body felt all over the place (phantom pains and stride felt awkward) in the end nailed it on the head after 4 reps (2.42, 2.42, 2.42,2.49)

Next time tell him we're still waiting for his DCM 2012 report! :D Well done on the 4.27, plenty more there come the summer time.

• Advertisement

pconn062 wrote: »
    Next time tell him we're still waiting for his DCM 2012 report! :D Well done on the 4.27, plenty more there come the summer time.

Like an apparition he was once again lost to the wind following the session:D

Advertisement