Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"If I'm not out there training, someone else is."

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

ecoli wrote: »
    1 x 10min HMP, 2x7min HMP

What's the theory behind the 10-7-7 session? I covered similar timing tonight 2 x 12 - just wondering the thinking behind it?

Ta

Dom

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    What's the theory behind the 10-7-7 session? I covered similar timing tonight 2 x 12 - just wondering the thinking behind it?

Ta

Dom

These sessions can be done based on time or distance the idea is to be close to AT but last year i started @ 2ks and worked up until i reached 3x3 mile. I based them on time tonight because lane one and two were closed off on the track and rather than guessing distance i based it on time to get the same affect as at this stage i am roughly increasing from 2ks to 1 3k and 2 x 2ks so this was basically an equivalent (3k about 20 secs short based on pace) these will move up to 3 x 15 over the course of the plan even slightly further as anything up to an hour at this pace i feel in my half marathon training plans is hugely beneficial as many coaches base AT @ roughly 15k race pace or HMP and i like to base my sessions on percieved effort as i am not a huge fan of HRM based training personally

Date|Session|Time|Average pace|Target pace
    Fri 31st |approx 2.8 miles recovery|approx 25 min|8+ mile pace|

Had a mini panic this morning as i was just about to leave the house turned on the garmin but there was no life in it. Given the fact that im pacing the half tomorrow this was the wort time it could happen. Did the run anyway but started working on it when i got back and thankfully it working grand again now. Legs are quite heavy from the week but given recovery today and the very easy pace tomorrow the legs should be grand and ready for another hard week next week

Saturday 4th |Dingle Half 1.45 Pacer (13.13 miles) |1.44.36|7.58 mile pace|
    Sunday 5th |Rest|||
    Monday 6th|Rest |||
    Tuesday 7th |2.63 miles w/u +HMP session with 3 min between reps|||

Session:| 3k| 2400m|1 mile|
    Splits| 10.40| 8.43| 5.51|
    Mile Pace|5.43|5.48|5.51

Sunday was a planned rest after a solid week monday however wasnt as flat battery in the car caused me to be late for work in the evening and not having a chance to do any sort of run.
    Tuesdays session not great i really wasnt feeling right think it down to work at the moment i am flat out and am quite sleep deprived but happy in so far as my times are still quicker than my previous HMP and i still managed to get 7k worth of running at this pace and it is still early days so ill just try and keep it going

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

Wow, great job on the pacing! Spot on!

• Advertisement

Wednesday 8th |10.00 miles |1.10.10|7.01 mile pace|

Came home from work today absolutely shattered and drained and end up falling asleep. Last 2 weeks have been hectic and pretty much working like a slave at the moment due to work circumstances and the fact that i am trying to save for a post grad college course (free education my arse!). when i woke up actually felt so weak and didnt know if i would get out though i managed to get going. Once i did there was no stopping me i looked at the watch after first mile 7.18 thinking "i feel terrible" but the pace felt comfortable after a while took another look at the watch and saw five mile down in just over 35 i was like this is flying in. By the end i was sorry to stop as felt i could have gone all night. Its amazing how the days you feel bad nearly always turn out to be your best days.
    Delighted i managed to motivate myself to get out and i think now i am in decent enough shape to fully enjoy training again so i finally seem to have the mental side back in check which has been long missing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 806 ✭✭✭woodchopper

Ecoli are you finished your degree yet or do you have another year left.

Ecoli are you finished your degree yet or do you have another year left.

Finished my degree but i have to apply to do a post grad and the interview for that wont be until dec till then i am working full time

Thursday 9th |6.00 miles easy + 4*400m (2 min cycles) |46.27|7.45 mile pace|

400m Splits| 77|76|73|73

Once again wrecked after work today crashed asleep for an hour up and out to training unfortunately didnt go as well as yesterday (maybe because i went training before dinner this time). Felt fairly weak for the first 4 miles got a little better after this but still really tired. Said i would do a few 400s at the end to get the legs turning over for the race on Sat so went out and was happy enough with it as these were fairly comfortable. Not expecting much from the weekend given the way that i have been feeling all week but sure will just give it a lash

Friday 10th |5.00 miles easy|37.50|7.34 mile pace|

Another bad day at the office today. I was supposed to get a lie in having a evening shift in work today but got a phone call early this morning to be designated taxi so that went out the window. Was tired on this run so unless something dramatic happens in the next 24hrs i think tomorrows race will be a bit of a write off as the way im feeling a 37-38 min 10k is quite likely

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Friday 10th |5.00 miles easy|37.50|7.34 mile pace|

Another bad day at the office today. I was supposed to get a lie in having a evening shift in work today but got a phone call early this morning to be designated taxi so that went out the window. Was tired on this run so unless something dramatic happens in the next 24hrs i think tomorrows race will be a bit of a write off as the way im feeling a 37-38 min 10k is quite likely

..............Or you'll probably do the race of your life. Running is crazy sometimes, you just never know what'll happen on the day.
    Are you heading to this shindig up at the club tonight? I heard there'll be free food!!

tunguska wrote: »
    ..............Or you'll probably do the race of your life. Running is crazy sometimes, you just never know what'll happen on the day.
    Are you heading to this shindig up at the club tonight? I heard there'll be free food!!

I heard that crazy rumour to normally be there in a heart beat but low and behold im working this evening once again haha ( me thinks this working milark is getting in the way of living a little too much anyone care to sponsor a full time runner?:D)

Saturday 11th |2.88 miles warm up, 10k race, 1 mile cooldown|36.56|5.54 mile pace|

Race Mile Splits|
    Mile 1|5.28
    Mile 2|6.13
    Mile 3|5.49
    Mile 4|5.50
    Mile 5|6.27
    10k|7.06 (5.39 pace)

Well to be honest i dont know what to make of this race have not been feeling good all week due to tiredness and today was no different. Went off steady enough given there was downhill at the start. When i saw 5.28 for the first mile i was about 10 m off a group and i though to myself do i speed up to tag onto them for the wind coming up the long drag which was slightly uphill. Decided to play it safe and thought i was going fast enough so i left them. Bad mistake. I was caught in no mans land for this bit and the wind was very strong proof of which came in my second mile split. Not the end of the world could still get close to 36 which was rough figure i had in my head. turned the corner and the wind was gone thank god so i plodded along at healthy pace. In the end on the second lap i was on my own again into the wind and this is where it really killed off any hopes of a relatively good time. as i was getting closer to the end of the race i though i may get around 36.30 so i was working turning off after the second lap only to realise that in the closing 200m had the same wind in my face which completely demoralized me. As i got near the finish i saw the clocking ticking closer and closer to the thirty seven min mark so i went for it and gave a good sprint.
    finishing time............

In retrospect given that most people were over a min down on there times from last year it is not a bad performance and it is my first race since i have come back off my break but at the same time its a time i am not happy with.

Anyway onwards and upwards i suppose as positives to take from it is i still feel pretty strong and good after the race i am not completely spent so with a few more months until the times matter

You're doing sub 37 on a windy day, and you're just really starting back training, thats a great base, well done!

You're doing sub 37 on a windy day, and you're just really starting back training, thats a great base, well done!

Cheers though to be honest given that i back in training i was kinda hoping for closer 36 if i want a chance of 1.15 in the half in Dec or Feb but ill just put it down to the wind i suppose;)

Cheers though to be honest given that i back in training i was kinda hoping for closer 36 if i want a chance of 1.15 in the half in Dec or Feb but ill just put it down to the wind i suppose;)

Ya better put the foot down for the hard miles tomorrow;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭tisnotover

great racing all the same on a windy day, well done ! :)

Ya better put the foot down for the hard miles tomorrow;)

Im killing two birds with one stone here as i will be doing mine paced for the half so it will give you guys an indicator of where you are so 6.52 for the "MP" section and easy other miles. This will be 3 hour visual to see where you are for yourselves and get in some paced miles for next week for me win win:D

Sunday 12th |18 miles fartlek|2.15.53|7.33 pace|

|easy miles| "up" miles|
    1 mile|8.12 mile pace|6.46 mile pace|
    2 miles|8.03 mile pace|6.46 mile pace|
    3 miles|8.10 mile pace|6.48 mile pace|
    2 miles|8.22 mile pace|6.54 mile pace|
    1 mile|9.02 mile pace|6.50 mile pace|

Was out with EasyFlozer and donothoponpop doing one of the sessions for the sub three mentoring group today and also my longest ever run. Was a a good run around the park happy enough with how it went and able to maintain the up paces through the hills as i got a taste for my pacer pace for next weeks half. Legs pretty tired now but to be expected after a good weekends work now off to enjoy the rest of my day off work:D

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭ELFOYZER

Sunday 12th |18 miles fartlek|2.15.53|7.33 pace|

|easy miles| "up" miles|
    1 mile|8.12 mile pace|6.46 mile pace|
    2 miles|8.03 mile pace|6.46 mile pace|
    3 miles|8.10 mile pace|6.48 mile pace|
    2 miles|8.22 mile pace|6.54 mile pace|
    1 mile|9.02 mile pace|6.50 mile pace|

Was out with ELFoyzer and donothoponpop doing one of the sessions for the sub three mentoring group today and also my longest ever run. Was a a good run around the park happy enough with how it went and able to maintain the up paces through the hills as i got a taste for my pacer pace for next weeks half. Legs pretty tired now but to be expected after a good weekends work now off to enjoy the rest of my day off work:D

HEY!, Whos 'Easyflozer' ???????

• Advertisement

Great to meet you both today lads, I'm still buzzing after that run! Toughest of the program, we came through it strongly, well done us!

ELFOYZER wrote: »
    HEY!, Whos 'Easyflozer' ???????

Oops i blame the tiredness when i got back in :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 806 ✭✭✭woodchopper

Hows the training go Ecoli, are you injured just wondering because your training updates are interesting to read, full of training knowledge.

Right been really lazy with the log lately. Basically the last few weeks have gone as bout as well as the log paced the DCM half and between work and few stresses (and excuses) went two weeks without training and then got roped into making up a team for the Novice XC s. Second scorer but it was a disaster to say the least. Anyway after that i faced up to my laziness and managed to make a few decisions

-Not enough time to have a crack at a PB in Waterford so gonna knock it on the head
    -At moment need to take a step back from coaching myself because i missing a bit of self discipline so gonna follow a plan

So at the moment i am gonna focus on getting my 5/10k times down.

Last week was an adjusting week back into training
    Monday| 4.15 miles in 33.51 (8.10 mile pace)
    Tuesday|2.75 miles in 20.00 (7.17 mile pace) + Core work
    Wednesday| Rest
    Thursday|7 miles in 49.08 (7.00 mile pace) + strength + resistance work
    Friday|6.31 miles in 41.59 (6.39 mile pace)+ Core work
    Saturday|7 miles in 49.28 (7.04 mile pace)
    Sunday| 9.08 miles in 1.08.17 (7.31 mile pace) + strength + resistance work

The plan is to lower the mileage per session to be my average around 7 on an easy evening but at a more moderate pace and first week of sessions is coming this week given the fact that i have been building my base over the last while even with the two weeks off i was using this week to adapt back into training and will continue to get back into high mileage weeks.

So this week to start:
    Monday 11th Oct
    0.5 mile warm up

Speed development drills + accelerations

6.92 miles in 48.13 ( 6.58 mile pace) + strength work

So onward and upward back to normality:D

Tuesday Oct 12th

AM
    3.59 miles in 25.01 (6.58 pace)

PM
    Session : 5 x (2 x 200m + 1 x 400m w/ 30 secs rec) 2 min rec between sets

Splits|||
    Set 1|35|35|74
    Set 2|36|36|73
    Set 3|36|36|74
    Set 4|36|35|75
    Set 5|35|36|76

Happy with how this session went i felt quite controlled throughout and with the short recoveries in sets it gave a decent little work out. Nice to get back into sessions without anything too crazy

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Mself and Niall have made a few decsions regarding what to do after our respective marathons. Niall is doing new york which is nov 7th, so 3 weeks after that(beginning of dec)we are starting Daniels' 5k-15k plan with a view to the national 10k in april. Training will be Thurday evenings, as per usual, but because neither of us can make it on Tueday evenings due to work, the other session of the week will be sunday mornings. Youre more than welcome to join us.

tunguska wrote: »
    Mself and Niall have made a few decsions regarding what to do after our respective marathons. Niall is doing new york which is nov 7th, so 3 weeks after that(beginning of dec)we are starting Daniels' 5k-15k plan with a view to the national 10k in april. Training will be Thurday evenings, as per usual, but because neither of us can make it on Tueday evenings due to work, the other session of the week will be sunday mornings. Youre more than welcome to join us.

basing alot of my sessions and my overall plan around the same JD plan and will be looking at targeting march/April for Intervarsities 10k so that would suit pretty much down to the ground will definitely do a fair few sessions with you guys

Wed 13th Oct

7.35 miles in 50.56 (6.56 mile pace)

Had planned on today being a more medium length run but due to time constraints had to swap around my days of my training plan a bit for the rest of the week. Happy with how i am hitting sub 7s consistently on my easy days without the legs feeling too bad

Thurs 14th Oct

7.11 miles in 49.06 (6.54 mile pace)

Late night last night but despite that i was very good (managed to get through the whole night with only three drinks) so while i felt tired this morning was not hungover (thank god i dont do running well when hungover). Had said to myself that i will be hard pressed to hit the slower end of my easy pace (around 7.15-7.20 mile pace) but as the run went on despite running what i percieved as very easy running looked down on the watch and had to curb it big time. Was kinda regretting moving my session a day back to tomorrow but ah well:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Fri 15th Oct

AM

1 mile warm up 3x(1 mile @ LT w/ 1 min recovery) 3 min break 1200m @ LT 1 mile cool down

Splits: 5.48, 5.48, 5.53, 4.25

Had a bit of company for this session with Donothoponpop doing some of the session with me. First one was comfortable and i took the lead. One the second rep Donothoponpop took it out and was feeling good so he pushed on the pace. I was tempted to go with him but stayed disciplined as the whole point of my session was to work at Threshold pace and going faster would defeat the purpose of the session. On the third one i started to tire so i took a bit longer after this rep but short enough that heart rate didnt drop too much that i was still getting the benefits. I cut the session short on the last one as i was struggling to maintain the pace and the whole point of the session is to remain at these paces for its entirety so it was better to cut it short once i was no longer able to hit the paces. The plan was between 3-5 of these so even thought i didnt hit the five i had hoped i still got the benefits i needed. Still early days and given that i had two weeks off only recently still lacking a bit so i rather be conservative and build upon that

PM: strength and conditioning training

Advertisement