Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

End of 4OD in Ireland?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,049 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

strange that they have no problem with the licencing and broadcasting free to air over satellite to ireland but over the web theres a problem:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

The FTA broadcast is not officially available here though. The Sky version has programmes blocked.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,907 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭remus808

http://ebm.email.channel4.com/c/tag/hBKTeXtAvJQMJB7uWPL-cdQ5VNS/

4oD app to die in a few days. Is 4oD now gone forever for us??

edit: beaten to it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭boccy23

You can access it by getting a UK IP address. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

boccy23 wrote: »
    You can access it by getting a UK IP address. ;)
    No that's it for me now, it's boycott time. At this rate I won't be able to tune into any media or buy anything in the shops. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 25,067 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Damn. I just realised this tonight :mad:

Had a look at the FAQ

I live in the Republic of Ireland and I used to be able to watch programmes via the 4oD service on Channel4.com. Why I am no longer able to do this?

There are some programmes for which we do not have rights in the Republic of Ireland. We are not, at the present time, able to just block specific programmes on the 4oD service and therefore we have unfortunately had to block the entire service in this region. We are in continual discussions with our content providers, and we are looking to find a solution to make Channel 4 content available on demand in the ROI.

I have more faith in C4 than the BBC who state much the same, but I still wouldn't count on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭dmcg90

I find it hilarious that C4 can put irish ads targeted towards irish comsumers when watching Big Brother clips online, but not for 4od? I got an Irish vodafone ad watching BB clips, there clearly is support for showing programmes to Irish viewers, why cant they just do it then?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭eightyfish

RIP4OD.

(hello Sky+).

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

Absolute disgrace, I'm betting we never get access in Ireland due to their battle with the BBC for some of the TV licence fee.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

I loved 4oD :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭camero

still working for me maybe because of my uk ip address

It is of no doubt that your UK ip address is the reason why it works for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭milly4ever

ah no it's gone :(

going to try the utv player, they can't ban that!

julian simmons learning to drive wow i've hit a new low....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 SwirlsAllAround

What's the legal situation with using UK proxy servers?

It's the only way around the 4OD situation I can see....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭dmcg90

Very off topic, but can someone guide me towards setting up a proxy?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

dmcg90 wrote: »
    Very off topic, but can someone guide me towards setting up a proxy?
    http://www.google.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭minikin

If channel 4 had any sense they'd offer their own paid subscription service for non-uk viewers... €50/year or something like that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭ElNino

minikin wrote: »
    If channel 4 had any sense they'd offer their own paid subscription service for non-uk viewers... €50/year or something like that

They don't own international rights to any imported shows so that isn't an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭pphheerroonn

Silly move by Channel 4 really. I was an avid user of 4OD until I logged on recently to the website where it told me (after serving me up an ad) that it wasn't available in Ireland. I emailed them and got the same copy-paste email as mentioned before. I don't understand why though because from what I can tell the list of programs broadcast on TV in the UK and Ireland are identical so shouldn't they just be blocked as well?

Getting to my point, I rarley watch TV nowadays, I sometimes Sky+ a show or mostly I would watch it using the web player for that channel. But now that option is gone! What Channel 4 and others need to realise, similar to the music industry, is that if someone wants to watch a show enough, they will. Be it Channel 4s method or other (yarr) means which don't result in any revenue for the broadcaster. I just think it makes more sense for the programs to be monatized rather than let them just pass by in the less restrictive filesharing world. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

I don't understand why though because from what I can tell the list of programs broadcast on TV in the UK and Ireland are identical so shouldn't they just be blocked as well?

Channel 4 do actually block some programmes in Ireland on satellite if you view through Sky. It is important to note that if they show something on television here it does not necessarily mean they have the right to show it online here. Channel 4 is essentially a UK broadcaster so you should not expect to have the same access to content that viewers in the UK have.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,458 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

From the charter:
    While we're on the subject, discussing how to bypass geographical limitations to watch streaming content is also a no-no (i.e. how to watch Hulu outside the US)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement