Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Iran on track with 'help' of Irish Rail

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭dermo88

Yet again, we encounter a minor strange fringe on the outer limits of knowledge and experience of rail transport. The 181's were/are built in 1966, so they were definitely at the end of their shelf life, and as for power, they'd hardly pull the head off a pint whenever I was behind one on the Rosslares. Probably late was the best thing I could say whenever I was behind one in the early 1990's.

How can people who wants the rail network to thrive wish for the 22000 Class DMU's to fail, and need to be pushed around by a locomotive is beyond me.

Over the past few years, DW Commuter, myself, Schuhart, amongst others, have had to counter strange notions of rail transport with logic. I was cheap, and did engage in an underhand insult of the poster. But without the "wisdom" of such posters, the world would be a duller place.

I have to thank Tom Bibby at railusers.ie for managing to archive old posts from 2005, which I will willingly reference in the future to discredit nonsense such as wishing the 181's could push around modern and perfectly servicable rolling stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Not really, IE are now starting to see the value of the 141/181s, they were all ment to be gone this year but they have decided to keep the few 141s that are left as they are proving to be very reliable lately. There have been a good few 071 failures over the last few months and 141s have been used to to rescue them and drag them back to the depot.

They are also used to haul the 22k sets from the docks to Portlaoise depot and when they are were out on testing and they are used every week on DART transfares to and from Fairview.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭dermo88

Theres logical sense in retaining a small number of the Baby GM's for lighter uses. Their fuel consumption is definitely less than that of the 071's and 201's, which go through 2 gallons of fuel per mile on average, whereas the Baby GM goes through less than half that amount. This is because the engine is not turbocharged.

If the 071's are failing more frequently its because they are not being maintained to the same regime or standards as before. They were also the most intensively worked engine in Ireland for almost 20 years on top link duties, which have now fallen to the 201 class, and even then both classes of Large GM are being relegated to lesser duties.

The 181's were not as reliable as the 141's for a variety of reasons, the key one being the standard of construction was not as good as the 121's and 141's

The Iranian DMU's look like a real high speed train. The 141/181 is just a glorified shunter. It always was. But it did the job well enough when it did.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭crushproof

Sorry for bringing up an old thread but it reminded me of a Coca Cola poster advertisment I saw in Croatia, my friend and I had a glance and couldn't believe it was a Bus Éireann bus in the background! So perhaps even global corporations are using Irish public transport to promote themselves! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

IRISH RAIL wrote: »
    Whats all this about me keeping iran on track???
    feck them into hell i say with there vote rigging president!
    We can blame IR for railroading him into power. :P

• Advertisement
Advertisement