Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The All New Abortion Spin-Off Thread...

Options
12345679»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Goduznt Xzst

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    But, regardless of whether it is at this very instant of no value in your estimation, would you still have no objection if it could be 'given value' in 48 hours? It's a hypothetical situation remember and I'm not suggesting we actually build such a device.

Again this is where the pro-choice argument comes into it. It's really up to the parents to decide in this case. There is no right or wrong answer. If they choose to not give the baby a brain should they be charged with murder? No consciousness was ever given the baby so none was ever taken.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Again this is where the pro-choice argument comes into it. It's really up to the parents to decide in this case. There is no right or wrong answer. If they choose to not give the baby a brain should they be charged with murder? No consciousness was ever given the baby so none was ever taken.

Then I suppose I'm back to: if this situation actually occurred I don't think you would actually say that. It's easy to talk about a hypothetical medical treatment that will almost certainly never exist and say "discard it as you see fit" but if this was an actual medical reality and the baby could be given consciousness in 48 hours I can't honestly picture anyone saying that because there is no longer conflict of rights. Basically, if there was no compelling reason to pick consciousness as the defining attribute (ie it allows you to exclude foetuses that are conflicting with the woman's rights), being a human being would do just fine. Similar to how we define animals as not having rights basically because we like to eat them but if there was a plentiful food source that was just as good as animals (like a meat tree :D) but didn't involve killing there would be an awful lot more vegetarians. Just like how fur became socially unacceptable because there was no good reason for it

Jeez... why can't you type out the whole post before submitting it :rolleyes: I keep having to refresh the page to see what amendments you've made to your posts before I reply :confused:
    Then I suppose I'm back to: if this situation actually occurred I don't think you would actually say that.

Then you are back to having no feet to stand on because you are making assumptions. I'm sure if I gave you the answer you wanted to hear you would of assumed I would "actually say that". If not then the question was pointless as you aren't open to answers that disagree with your viewpoint.
    but if there was a plentiful food source that was just as good as animals but didn't involve killing there would be an awful lot more vegetarians

But the right to eat meat would still remain. You could not impose, in a free society, the ban on killing animals for food. Thus as the right to wear fur still remains.

The whole conferring of rights is arbitrary, if a majority of humans eventually give equal rights to all animals so be it, but it doesn't mean that all humans have to agree with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭CerebralCortex

Then I suppose I'm back to: if this situation actually occurred I don't think you would actually say that. It's easy to talk about a hypothetical medical treatment that will almost certainly never exist and say "discard it as you see fit" but if this was an actual medical reality and the baby could be given consciousness in 48 hours I can't honestly picture anyone saying that because there is no longer conflict of rights. Basically, if there was no compelling reason to pick consciousness as the defining attribute (ie it allows you to exclude foetuses that are conflicting with the woman's rights), being a human being would do just fine. Similar to how we define animals as not having rights basically because we like to eat them but if there was a plentiful food source that was just as good as animals (like a meat tree :D) but didn't involve killing there would be an awful lot more vegetarians. Just like how fur became socially unacceptable because there was no good reason for it

My only problem with what is in bold is how do you define a human being? Just because you somehow seem vindicated in what you hold to be the definition of a human being doesn't mean we have to accept that definition and your motivations to wanting that to be the definition elude me. IMHO your definition of a human being i.e. a few cells at earlier stages of conception rather diminishes what it means to be human.

Me = human being.
    Cells on the way to becoming a human being = Cells on the way to becoming a human being.

Quick google of the definition of a human being:

homo: any living or extinct member of the family Hominidae characterized by superior intelligence, articulate speech, and erect carriage.

I've never seen cells after conception with any of those characteristics. Seriously you have to accept that your definition of a human being is arbitrary as anyones.

Jeez... why can't you type out the whole post before submitting it :rolleyes: I keep having to refresh the page to see what amendments you've made to your posts before I reply :confused:
    Please don't roll your eyes at me, sometimes I think of more to add after I hit submit
    Then you are back to having no feet to stand on because you are making assumptions. I'm sure if I gave you the answer you wanted to hear you would of assumed I would "actually say that". If not then the question was pointless as you aren't open to answers that disagree with your viewpoint.
    You see my whole point of posting in this thread is because I believe people who convince themselves that the foetus has no value are rationalising to themselves because the reality is it has some value and if the conflict of rights was taken away they would acknowledge that. I still believe that and I believe that if you were presented with such a situation in reality you would object to people discarding their baby for no good reason. It's all well and good to sit there at your computer and say "discard it as you see fit" but I just don't see it happening

But the right to eat meat would still remain. You could not impose, in a free society, the ban on killing animals for food. Thus as the right to wear fur still remains.

The whole conferring of rights is arbitrary, if a majority of humans eventually give equal rights to all animals so be it, but it doesn't mean that all humans have to agree with it.

Actually you could impose a ban on killing animals for food if there was no good reason to do it. Restrictions are placed on things all the time as people decide they shouldn't be done. The right to hunt is now licensed for example, you can't just go out and kill any animal you want. You can eat a duck but if you lock it up and torture it you'd be arrested because there's no good reason to do it.

The conferral of rights is not actually arbitrary, it's done based on discrete criteria and based on necessity. For example, before the industrial revolution work was pretty damn hard so people decided that one section of society (usually black people) didn't have rights and made them do all the work. People saw no moral problems with this for an awfully long time but as slavery stopped being necessary people came around and acknowledged that they should have rights because there was no longer a good reason for people to convince themselves they shouldn't have them. And fur used to be very widespread but as synthetic and better fabrics became available people decided there was no good reason for fur anymore and now people who wear it are vilified.

Basically what I want people to acknowledge here is that you have decided it doesn't have rights because its rights conflict with someone else's and if the conflict was taken away you wouldn't object anymore. Sink and CerebralCortex have acknowledged it, can you do the same?

• Advertisement

My only problem with what is in bold is how do you define a human being? Just because you somehow seem vindicated in what you hold to be the definition of a human being doesn't mean we have to accept that definition and your motivations to wanting that to be the definition elude me. IMHO your definition of a human being i.e. a few cells at earlier stages of conception rather diminishes what it means to be human.

Me = human being.
    Cells on the way to becoming a human being = Cells on the way to becoming a human being.

Quick google of the definition of a human being:

homo: any living or extinct member of the family Hominidae characterized by superior intelligence, articulate speech, and erect carriage.

I've never seen cells after conception with any of those characteristics. Seriously you have to accept that your definition of a human being is arbitrary as anyones.

Lots of fully grown human beings don't have superior intelligence, articulate speech or erect carriage. I wasn't trying to get into a debate about the definition of human being there, I meant that if there was a baby lying there that could be given consciousness, that would be enough for people because there's no longer a conflict of rights. They wouldn't need to convince themselves otherwise because there's no good reason to

I believe...

All of that was purely speculative. You are making so many wild assumptions that your beliefs almost seem arrogant. Seriously trying to say I'm deluding myself by thinking a fetus does not have value is equal to a theist saying i'm deluding myself that their God isn't real because they believe he is.

These are your beliefs, they have no impact on reality. If you believe all pro-choice people are deluding themselves in regards to where to place value and what they would actually do in certain situations then you should stop for a second and wonder if you could maybe be the one deluded here.
    Actually you could impose a ban on killing animals for food if there was no good reason to do it.

Right, but that wouldn't be a free society. Like places that still ban Gay marriage or womens rights... etc.

Also, say a society did confer animals with equal rights, then a disease struck which destroyed all of the major food crops that humans consumed, what do you think would happen to the rights of those food animals then?

The arbitrary nature of rights means they change to the whims of human morality.

You can think up as many scenarios and analogies as humanly possible, but it still won't change the fact, that where you place value is as arbitrary as where I place it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Wicknight wrote: »

A human being without a brain is of no inherent value. That is why we turn off life support machines of brain dead patients, the person is considered already to have died.
    Would there be no value in the organs for the purposes of transplanting?

I would agree that the brainless body would have no value as a "human" but would potentially be valuable as a donor.

MrP

Basically what I want people to acknowledge here is that you have decided it doesn't have rights because its rights conflict with someone else's and if the conflict was taken away you wouldn't object anymore. Sink and CerebralCortex have acknowledged it, can you do the same?

I don't think Sink and CerebralCortex's opinions are as simple as that though. So maybe they could clarify.

In regards to In vitro fertilisation, I don't think they would view it as murder in the first degree if the zygote was destroyed after fertilization, even though it is outside of a womans body.

Where exactly do you stand on IVF for that matter?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭CerebralCortex

....CerebralCortex have acknowledged it, can you do the same?

Really?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

You see my whole point of posting in this thread is because I believe people who convince themselves that the foetus has no value are rationalising to themselves because the reality is it has some value and if the conflict of rights was taken away they would acknowledge that.

No that just isn't the case. Even the most rabid pro-lifer is not saying that a 10 day foetus is equivalent to a small child in the eyes of the state and the law.

For example, the death of a small child would be investigated by the state, however we don't insist that women monitor their wombs for life on a daily basis and insist that every miscarriage is treated in the same way as the death of a child.

Take another example, imagine 2 scenarios where you were responsible for a road traffic accident. In (A) you killed a small child, in (B) the accident caused a women who was 4 weeks pregnant to miscarry (Let's say in both cases the woman in question was fine and went on to have more children).

Are you really saying that they're exactly the same, and the punishment should be equal in both cases?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

Just want to clarify my position on a few things. Firstly I would be against abortions past 8 weeks without good underlying reasons, e.g. the foetus develops an incurable condition or the mothers health is in danger, in such situations it should still be the mothers choice whether to proceed. Without such justification abortions past the point of 8 weeks should not be allowed. At some point in development there should be set a limit where the only justification for carrying out an abortion is if the mothers life is in serious danger.

In regards to the ridiculous hypothetical situation where a baby is born without a brain (not just a baby in a coma), then i would consider that the equivalent of a foetus less than 8 weeks in gestation and thus would not consider a person to exist and would not object to the plug being pulled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

MrPudding wrote: »
    Would there be no value in the organs for the purposes of transplanting?
    Yes, apologies I should clarify

I don't mean absolutely no value, as in if the parents said we would like to keep the child alive to grow the brain, or as you say for organs.

I meant no value in terms of what we confer rights to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭Phototoxin

sink wrote: »
    Just want to clarify my position on a few things. Firstly I would be against abortions past 8 weeks without good underlying reasons, e.g. the foetus develops an incurable condition or the mothers health is in danger, in such situations it should still be the mothers choice whether to proceed. Without such justification abortions past the point of 8 weeks should not be allowed. At some point in development there should be set a limit where the only justification for carrying out an abortion is if the mothers life is in serious danger.

In regards to the ridiculous hypothetical situation where a baby is born without a brain (not just a baby in a coma), then i would consider that the equivalent of a foetus less than 8 weeks in gestation and thus would not consider a person to exist and would not object to the plug being pulled.

What is a good justification though? In the uk 95%+ of babies/foetuses/the unborn/whatever are aborted. Clearly this is some sort of eugenics program. Down's in incurable but does it justfiy killing/aborting/whatever siad child?

Advertisement